Spiderman News - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
chadmac81 said:
I actually kinda like the chorus of the Bullying By Numbers song. Bouncing off the Walls and Pull the trigger were awesome in my opinion. I'm going to agree with the majority of the crowd here. First half was awesome with all the flying around. I had chills. The lyrics had bono ALL over them. The second half was a hot steaming dump. I was bored and it was hard to leave the theater with a positive review. Arachne was an insult to Spidey fans and U2 fans alike. Absolute crap. I mean...really... they stole a bunch of shoes?

Yea all of a sudden arachne went from this strange mythical creature to samantha from sex in the city.

Thanks for the spoiler!! I can finally rest now that I have heard it.

It is not bad, but not great. I think they could solve a multitude of music issues if they recast spiderman and brighten up some of the harmonies and concentrate a bit more on diction. It is very dissonant and muddled. Some really beautiful musical moments though..."boy falls from the sky" and " if the world should end" are beautiful...just hoping they can do a bit of clean up before the show opens.

Here is the order of the songs.

Splash
Behold and wonder
Bullying By Numbers
No More pt. 1
No More PT. 2.
Do It Yourself World
Bouncing Off the Walls
Rise Above
Pull the Trigger
Picture This
I'll Take Manhatten
Music Interlude (not sure when they played this)
Spiderman Rising
Turn Off The Dark
Walk Away
Think Again
Sinistereo
Deeply Furious
If the world should end
Boy falls from the sky
Love Me Or Kill Me
music at end of show

And again here is the link to all the songs
http://www.sendspace. com/file/oxvzxh

you really are a star... and a gift :)
I hear some noises... Were you eating popcorn while taping???

Not quite. I had to have the recorder in a shirt pocket under a sweater and leather jacket. I'm sure every little movement I made would make some noise. Also, the seats were very close together. I was on the aisleway right where different production people and camermen seemed to want to stand. Anyway, that is the best I could come up with on my little Zoom H2.

First off, thanks for recording this. Second, yuk :huh: it sounds so flat in the vocals. There's just no weight to anything! Makes me want a full U2 version of this soundtrack. I have a feeling Bono and The Edge wrote a lot of this assuming someone with a very full, powerful voice. For example, Boy Falls From The Sky compared to the U2 version we've heard from Coimbra... :hmm:

First off, thanks for recording this. Second, yuk :huh: it sounds so flat in the vocals. There's just no weight to anything! Makes me want a full U2 version of this soundtrack. I have a feeling Bono and The Edge wrote a lot of this assuming someone with a very full, powerful voice. For example, Boy Falls From The Sky compared to the U2 version we've heard from Coimbra... :hmm:

Especially in the second half of the song where it is supposed to keep building up to a climax Carney sounds like he ran out of gas. It sounds more like he is speaking the words instead of singing them.

Especially in the second half of the song where it is supposed to keep building up to a climax Carney sounds like he ran out of gas. It sounds more like he is speaking the words instead of singing them.

LOL you said what I was thinking, but did not say....
Not Broadway caliber.....but "if the world should end " is lovely. :sexywink:

:uhoh:
The creators are considering staging a new final number, making further rewrites to the dialogue, trimming the show and possibly adding more music from U2's Bono and The Edge, who will resume working full-time on the production in late December once their tour finishes, the New York Times reports, citing two insiders.

So...they won't check the progress on the (supposedly) new album and instead write more songs for a side-project. I hope they really are left with mixing or whatever rather than recording if this is true - or I'm afraid that there might be delays in the next album release.

Hmmmm.

Seems like they have realized that there are some serious issues with story/plot/characters (as many people who saw the previews claimed) and are going to make extensive changes and try to get this thing to work.

I still would love to see this thing be a big success, and I think it's good that they're catching problems now, and trying to fix them, before the show officially opens. I guess the previews did what they're supposed to do and exposed the issues to Taymor and co.

This would be delay # 4 I think

after spending years on this project, they are JUST NOW realising that they need to make changes to the script, the ending and need new songs???

This train is fast moving towards the town of Epic Disasterville.

I just hope Bono and Edge's reputations don't get tarnished because Taymor couldn't pull this off. Because the whole marketing gimmic of this show is based on "songs by Bono and The Edge"

So...they won't check the progress on the (supposedly) new album and instead write more songs for a side-project. I hope they really are left with mixing or whatever rather than recording if this is true - or I'm afraid that there might be delays in the next album release.

I hope so too but I think I am more worried about Adam and Larry's reaction to this if the album still needs major work.

Before U2's first concert in Auckland, Paul McGuinness says the band is working to finish its new album, but it not recording:

"We are trying very hard to use this time in New Zealand and Australia to finish an album that will be released in the spring. It's not so much recording as editing and polishing up lyrics and trying to getting it done by the date it needs to be delivered to the record company for release in May. It's sounding great: lots of hits."

Doesn't sound like Spiderman could delay this.

I just hope Bono and Edge's reputations don't get tarnished because Taymor couldn't pull this off. Because the whole marketing gimmic of this show is based on "songs by Bono and The Edge"

This has been an issue since the show was first announced, way before any of the previews or even the first delays. I wouldn't worry about this musical tarnishing their reputations.

I think it's pretty safe to say that decades down the line, when discussing U2's legacy, people aren't going to say "Those are the bastards that wrote the songs for that shitty Spiderman musical!"

They'll say "That Bono guy was a wanker, but they did make some damn fine albums and they could put on one hell of a rock concert."

I think the score is really really good... well at least the first half, the second one is not of the same quality imo. Rise Above, PTT (eh new acronyms!), BBN, BOTW, No more and of course BFFTS are my favorite ones. I think they have done an amazing work and honestly I'm quite surprised because I was just expecting traditional U2ish songs, something not too challenging for them, but like they said in interviews they obviously have tried new things - once again- with this project. It really sound like a musical and broadway songs not typical U2 songs for the most part. I think that's easily their most interesting side project and I really hope we will have U2 version of most of those songs.

For the show they perhaps should just try to balance the score better between the two parts... if that's even possible of course or perhaps rework songs like Walk Away, Think Again or Sinistereo. They could also replace one of the weakest tracks of the second part with that song Bono was talking about. But I think that's amazing to have so many new songs written by Bono and Edge :D :heart:.

Hire some adept book writer to fix the story. But for those of you that have seen it, do you think more/different songs are actually necessary?

Having only heard a bootleg I'm starting to agree with people about Reeve not being right for theater given the annunciation issues, he's a talented musician, and it would be a black eye (another) to replace him, but that might be for the best.

Before U2's first concert in Auckland, Paul McGuinness says the band is working to finish its new album, but it not recording:

"We are trying very hard to use this time in New Zealand and Australia to finish an album that will be released in the spring. It's not so much recording as editing and polishing up lyrics and trying to getting it done by the date it needs to be delivered to the record company for release in May. It's sounding great: lots of hits."

Doesn't sound like Spiderman could delay this.

"Polishing up lyrics" has to involve the recording process. Unless Bono recorded several different lyrical versions. Which sounds quite odd and therefore, I would doubt. So hopefully this would mean only Bono would be needed to come in for rewrites and new vocal takes. Given U2's history, Bono doing vocal takes at the very last minute, if not on the very last day in the studio, actually makes perfect sense. So let's all hope that Spidey doesn't delay new U2 music. I somehow doubt it would ever take precedent.

It surprises me to read so many concerns from many of you about this project taking the boys away from the band or an album.

This show is a massive undertaking. This show keeps many many people in a job on Broadway. Technicians, front of staff, administrators, actors etc. For the sake of many peoples livelyhood, I certainly hope they DO take more time to improve "Spiderman". If not, it may have a very short life and perhaps it may NEVER open. It is unfinished and still in previews and it needs it composers to complete it and make it better. It need a LOT of work and fine tuning. The fact that the composers are NOT around during previews is actually highly uncommon. Especially for a show in trouble.

I find it ironic that people on Broadway World are commenting on the fact that they have not been around because of the tour and are a bit pissed....I find it ironic the difference of opinions between here and there.

I am pulling for it. It could be huge...the next Wicked, Rent or Phantom. Broadway needs a big hit for the community and U2 will benefit if it does well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom