Shuttlecock! Part III - Just the Cock and the Shuttle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:)

I'm not sure if Shuttlecock will be able to compete with the Bruce gig I saw at Hershey Park.

Bruce is fantastic, but Shuttlecock...oh man, you just have to be there. How about we call Bruce the greatest live solo act, and say Shuttlecock is the best live band, and call it even?

Bruce is fantastic, but Shuttlecock...oh man, you just have to be there. How about we call Bruce the greatest live solo act, and say Shuttlecock is the best live band, and call it even?

I consider Shuttlecock the best ever having never even seen them (based purely off videos and bootlegs and such), so I'm not going to argue that. I'm just thinking show vs. show, Bruce might win. We'll see. I'm excited by the potential.

I consider Shuttlecock the best ever having never even seen them (based purely off videos and bootlegs and such), so I'm not going to argue that. I'm just thinking show vs. show, Bruce might win. We'll see. I'm excited by the potential.

What was Bruce's setlist like? I think that could be tiebreaker.

What was Bruce's setlist like? I think that could be tiebreaker.

Summertime Blues
Radio Nowhere
Out in the Street
Spirit in the Night
The Promised Land
Boom Boom
Darlington County
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
Reason to Believe
Prove It All Night
No Surrender
Because the Night
She's the One
Livin' in the Future
Mary's Place
Working on the Highway
Part Man Part Monkey
The Rising
Last to Die
Long Walk Home
Badlands

Thunder Road
Jungleland
Seven Nights to Rock
Born to Run
Rosalita
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
American Land
Gloria (with Joe and Johnny Grushecky)

The funny thing is that Boom Boom was requested on a sign that had London Calling requested on the other side. How badass would that have been?

Summertime Blues
Radio Nowhere
Out in the Street
Spirit in the Night
The Promised Land
Boom Boom
Darlington County
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
Reason to Believe
Prove It All Night
No Surrender
Because the Night
She's the One
Livin' in the Future
Mary's Place
Working on the Highway
Part Man Part Monkey
The Rising
Last to Die
Long Walk Home
Badlands

Thunder Road
Jungleland
Seven Nights to Rock
Born to Run
Rosalita
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
American Land
Gloria (with Joe and Johnny Grushecky)

That encore is absolutely ridiculous.

U2 and Springsteen are both excellent live acts, in their own way. Bruce comes straight at you with relentless rock and roll, varied setlists, marathon encores - just a big house party, while U2 is based more on the entertainment factor, the visuals, the stage setup, etc.

They are both awesome. Just different.

I was just going to post something about the lyrics.

Not crazy about the "every generation has a chance to save the world", which is the kind of crap seen on the last two albums. How many times do you repeat this sentiment? And Magnificent seems like familiar territory as well. I also don't like when singers write about singing, for the most part.

But I really like the other stuff, esp. on the ones you mentioned. Also White as Snow, which seems like a departure for ol' Boner.

Every indication is that tracks 5-7 indulge in self depreciation not seen since the '90s. Just the title Stand Up Comedy is extremely satirical. Then you've got lines like "I don't want to talk about wars between nations...not right now" and "On a voyage of discovery stand up to rock stars, Napoleon is in high heels / Josephine, be careful of small men with big ideas."

I don't trust the lyrics posted because they were run through a translator and then 'cleaned up'.Also, the lines were taken down in a listening session, sort of like taking dictation, which is not always accurate. And certainly there is the context.

Basically, I like those posts for song/musical descriptions, unfortunately a lot of the same descriptives get used. I mean, ok we get it, Stand Up Comedy sounds like something Jimmy Page could have written, you'd think he was the only blues based riff rock guitarist based on the scope of all these 'reviewers'. And allusions to TUF in Magnifecent in nearly every review, just a little obvious of a link. These are fan reviews mostly (from what I understandf) but even the media outlets retread descriptive ideas.

The last one I read was the best one in terms of being pretty descriptive and the translation seems to be pretty solid, you can find it on the same thread.
And even then, the Led Zeppelin reference is there, again.

There's only been 40 years of that kind of guitar to pull from. It's sort of like describing any pop 3 or 4 part harmony song as being like The Beach Boys. A little unimaginative.

Bruce live in St. Louis last August was the greatest live show I've ever been to. But I could agree to U2 being the best live group and Bruce live solo (Though I have a hard time calling Bruce a solo act)

If you think Shuttlecock is the best live band right now, you either don't get to many shows or have poor judgment skills.

If you think Shuttlecock is the best live band right now, you either don't get to many shows or have poor judgment skills.

I've seen many of the supposed best, including Radiohead, Wilco, Flaming Lips, Arcade Fire, and The National, and the Cock still stands above them. Perhaps they weren't technically superior, but the show did more for me than the others did.

Perhaps they weren't technically superior, but the show did more for me than the others did.

That's basically how I feel most of the time. It's an emotional connection to the music and a history that I have with them like no other. I have always enjoyed a U2 show way more than a Springsteen show and I think it's because I just like the songs better.

I think the thing with Shuttlecock is how much better the actual songs are live. Just compare the live versions of Cocktung baby, Cockropa, and Poppycock to the original studio versions. Almost across the board, the live versions slay them.

They're such slow songwriters, that's the problem. It kind of takes the release of the album to make them start thinking, "Alright, how do we do this live?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom