Setlist Discussion Part II - Spoilers Allowed, Enter At Your Own Risk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tbh I am disappointed. that 4-song segment that breaks up AB I thought they would use to showcase tracks from all other albums. But so far we've had UF, RH & HTDAAB...Hopefully the 2024 shows will show more variety in that sgment....

I know its 95% greatest hits setlist but that 5% is an opportunity to tap in to the vast reservoir of quality tunes....

I know its 95% greatest hits setlist but that 5% is an opportunity to tap in to the vast reservoir of quality tunes....

kisskiss.gif

That 5% is only 1 song because they’re playing 22 songs. :wink:

The turntable section is only going to change when they feel like playing something different and I will be very surprised if another album gets represented. They always backtrack or say more than what they’re actually going to do.

I was expecting the Rattle and Hum set for all of my shows, but was happy to get 1 debut, 3/4 of a song that was not on the printed setlist and 1 warhorse that hadn’t been played since October. Small victories I guess.

Whoever gets the War tracks next year or another debut like Stay or something like that - lucky bastards. :lol:

Ok I gotta say that any variation of songs thrown into the acoustic set doesn't really excite me. I get they want an acoustic part to make things more intimate / give them a breather or whatever, but it should be 2-3 songs tops. 4 is too much of a waste of the venue capabilities.

If they actually threw a cool song in there I'd be bummed that it was a neutered acoustic version. I mean I guess Seconds was cool to say they played, but it was a terrible rendition of the song if we are being honest.

They ought to use that section to play a couple of the slower Achtung Baby songs so that it opens up the other part of the setlist for bigger songs they can rock with the screen. Maybe even a different acoustic arrangement of a song we haven't heard before, like an acoustic Acrobat couple be pretty powerful. If the band needed a break, then have the Edge sit on a stool on the stage and sing Numb while the Sphere shows off it's crazy video and audio capabilities.

But an acoustic Desire that we have heard a million times being played in Vegas?? That's criminal that we didn't get the full-on mirror ball man version of Desire at the Sphere.

Would've been nice if instead of the acoustic setion they created two different encores for Friday and Saturday nights and used that for their variation.

I mean come on, how much cooler is this?!?!?!

I forgot to mention for the acoustic set they could've done like an AI duet with Sinatra on the screen with Bono singing I've Got you Under My Skin, or I Can't Help Falling in Love with Elvis or something. So they much they could've done to slow things down, make it an intimate moment, give the band a break and use the screen to make it visually amazing, but nooooo best they can do is acoustic Desire.

ahhhhhhhhhhh

I agree about Numb. I went into these shows thinking there was a greater than zero percent chance that they played it. I bet they could have done something cool with the visuals there. Missed opportunity, perhaps.

I agree about Numb. I went into these shows thinking there was a greater than zero percent chance that they played it. I bet they could have done something cool with the visuals there. Missed opportunity, perhaps.

Plus with the spatial audio, they could have had sounds coming from all over the place with Numb

Ok I gotta say that any variation of songs thrown into the acoustic set doesn't really excite me. I get they want an acoustic part to make things more intimate / give them a breather or whatever, but it should be 2-3 songs tops. 4 is too much of a waste of the venue capabilities.

If they actually threw a cool song in there I'd be bummed that it was a neutered acoustic version. I mean I guess Seconds was cool to say they played, but it was a terrible rendition of the song if we are being honest.

They ought to use that section to play a couple of the slower Achtung Baby songs so that it opens up the other part of the setlist for bigger songs they can rock with the screen. Maybe even a different acoustic arrangement of a song we haven't heard before, like an acoustic Acrobat couple be pretty powerful. If the band needed a break, then have the Edge sit on a stool on the stage and sing Numb while the Sphere shows off it's crazy video and audio capabilities.

But an acoustic Desire that we have heard a million times being played in Vegas?? That's criminal that we didn't get the full-on mirror ball man version of Desire at the Sphere.

Would've been nice if instead of the acoustic setion they created two different encores for Friday and Saturday nights and used that for their variation.

I wholeheartedly agree with all of this except for your sickening suggestion they do Acrobat acoustic???????

They have sucked their entire fucking career at acoustic. It does not, and has never, suited them. I cannot think of a single moment in their history where going acoustic has been special.

My issue with that section of the show is that it is a waste of the venue and their talent. The shows I saw, the screen wasn't even used - they didn't even have video of them on the screen.

They have done the b-stage well before in their career, they just don't need to do Bono and Edge sitting down, Edge barely playing. Do full band Stay, that Numb idea is a great one...

To be honest, we all knew that there was going to be a Songs of Surrender section in there. Considering the awful material on that 'record', I think this Rattle and Hum (and occasional War) stuff is actually much better than what could have been. At least they're not playing The Miracle, Get Our of Your Own Way or Walk On (Ukraine). Yet.

Along with Zoo TV, I think the Sphere set has the best acoustic section out of all tours, purely because it is (mostly) full band. I do however think that is not a big compliment. They are not good at it. They are not an 'improvisational' band by any means, Bono talks way too much and is awkwardly trying to prolong songs, hurting the pacing even more. The looser this band gets on stage, the more they seem like a travesty.

In any case, I agree that the acoustic section is definitely too long and should be two tracks tops. So Cruel can be part of that slower part of the set (full band though, and no fucking acoustic Acrobat in any dimension).

What bums me out is that this is the only rotating section of the set. There are other songs which should get the Vegas treatment. Numb could be one (and that one was 'discussed' according to Edge). And if we cannot get a Pop song, Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me is ideal for that city, set and venue. But I guess people have to hear Elevation.

They add a song like City of Blinding lights and yet they are in a giant ball of blinding lights that doesn't get utilized, seems crazy to me

Also according to this article the technology makes it easy to shake up the setlist ?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimryan1/2023/12/20/u2-live-in-las-vegashow-tech-enables-band-to-shake-up-sphere-sets/amp/?fbclid=IwAR0MGZ8LI5l6-IUK3pCTL8dVpGeVy3eGvP2mBj0mWdMYpd43-Ipb2FQuZU0

They’re lazy. :wink:

I do agree with some of the sentiment that the screen is underutilized in certain parts. Thought there could have been some band closeups in Acrobat, So Cruel and Elevation, something like Even Better Than the Real Thing where they were projected onto bubbles, just to fill the remaining space.

Elevation with the Love is Blindness visual instead of projecting whatever was going on in the turntable stage was a somewhat missed opportunity, even if My Way is supposed to facilitate the transition to the Vegas background.

Also, there’s just something haunting about the shadow of the lighting towers being projected on the screen during So Cruel. Thought it was a nice touch and amplified an already intense song.

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree with all of this except for your sickening suggestion they do Acrobat acoustic???????

I had posted a similar response to this (or thought I did) but I was on a phone so apparently it did not post. Chip has done lost it. :angry:

I had posted a similar response to this (or thought I did) but I was on a phone so apparently it did not post. Chip has done lost it. :angry:

When I first met you girl, you had fire in your soul.
What happened to your face of melting snow???

It wouldn’t even need that big of a change! A few tweaks would be a vast improvement.

- Play “Numb” after “Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World”
- Follow that with two stripped-back acoustic songs
- “So Cruel” - full band to lead out of the stripped-back portion
- “Acrobat,” “Ultraviolet,” and “Love is Blindness” to close the main set.
- Start the encore with “Elevation” with some cool visuals, then go into “Daddy’s Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car” or “Hold Me Thrill Me…” - an upbeat song that will keep the energy going for the casuals
- Rest of the encore stays the same.

That would make a huge difference I think.

Plus with the spatial audio, they could have had sounds coming from all over the place with Numb

Yes

YES

My issue with that section of the show is that it is a waste of the venue and their talent.

Preach

- Start the encore with “Elevation” with some cool visuals, then go into “Daddy’s Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car” or “Hold Me Thrill Me…”

Exciting!

Y'all are crazy

We got a full Acrobat last tour. A very intimate arrangement of Acrobat with the highlight of Bono belting out all the feelings of the song, damn gives me shivers just thinking about it. Use your imaginations people.

Edit: I can see it now, the solo spotlight on Bono, everything else darkness, him blasting off "Dooooon't Let the Bastaaaaards Grind you dooooown" as he falls to his knees. Spotlight turns off. Complete darkness in the Sphere. Pause for a few seconds.

Opening chords of Streets starts up, background starts to fully light up, Bono stands back up, followed by the whole crowd as Streets kicks in fully...

Last edited:
You must be a theater kid. ;)

Ok, I wouldn't *mind* an acoustic any song once or twice, but I always prefer the full band. I think it's lame the only way I got to see full-band Every Breaking Wave was from a cover band (I want the drums, dammit).

Ok i def agree with noooo acoustic songs.

I'm just saying if they haaaaaaaad to do one, that would at least be interesting.

You must be a theater kid. ;)

Ok, I wouldn't *mind* an acoustic any song once or twice, but I always prefer the full band. I think it's lame the only way I got to see full-band Every Breaking Wave was from a cover band (I want the drums, dammit).

And yes this is one of my fav performances :drool:

They add a song like City of Blinding lights and yet they are in a giant ball of blinding lights that doesn't get utilized, seems crazy to me

YEAH!

City of Blinding Lights could open the encore and go right into Elevation.

I agree overall with people saying they could just add a song here or there. Doesn't necessarily have to be in the acoustic set.

The lowest hanging fruits to pick, for me, are Numb and full band Stay in the AB break. Then I Will Follow in the encore. Could go between Elevation and Atomic City or AC and Vertigo. Or close out with it after Beautiful Day like they did on JT 30.

They'd have to be well aware of its status as the only song played on every tour they've done in their career! No reason not to keep the streak going; it always brings the house down, they can play it in their sleep and they all seem to love playing it. Especially Edge!

(snippets or extra info)
/// = rotation

Somewhat realistic:
  1. (I Could Have Lost You) / Zoo Station
  2. The Fly
  3. Even Better than the Real Thing
  4. Mysterious Ways (slide solo)
  5. One / (Hear Us Coming)
  6. Until the End of the World
  7. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (extended outro)
  8. Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World

(Video of the band playing on the screen at all times.)
  9. All I Want is You (full band)
  10. Heartland (full band, continue the Elvis bullshit)
  11. Desire (full band) /// God Part II (full band) (as Mirrorball Man)
  12. So Cruel (full band) /// Stay (full band)

13. Acrobat (the fucking screen actually gets used)
  14. Ultraviolet / (My Way)
  15. Love is Blindness / (Viva Las Vegas)

16. Numb (video on BonoFalsettoVox backstage as he dresses up as MacPhisto, Edge on a stool as Morleigh does Shibari)
  17. Lemon /// Zooropa (full screen visuals)
  18. Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car (full screen visuals)
  19. City of Blinding Lights (full screen visuals)
  20. Vertigo /// Elevation
  21. Atomic City
  22. Where the Streets Have No Name
  23. With or Without You / (Shine Like Stars)
  24. Beautiful Day

If I was completely in charge of the setlist:
  1. (I Could Have Lost You) / Zoo Station
  2. The Fly
  3. Even Better than the Real Thing
  4. Mysterious Ways (slide solo)
  5. One / (Hear Us Coming)
  6. Until the End of the World
  7. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (extended outro)
  8. Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World

(Video of the band playing on the screen at all times.)
  9. All I Want is You (full band)
  10. Heartland (full band, continue the Elvis bullshit)
  11. Desire (full band) /// God Part II (full band) (as Mirrorball Man)
  12. So Cruel (full band) /// Stay (full band)
  13. Bullet the Blue Sky (b-stage vibe ends)
  14. Running to Stand Still (electric guitar, needle pantomine) / (Hallelujah) / (Dirty Old Town)
  15. Where the Streets Have No Name (same visual as the current, they come up with a cool visual lead-in during RTSS)
  16. Acrobat (four men chopping down the Joshua tree visual)
  17. Ultraviolet / (My Way)
  18. Love is Blindness / (Viva Las Vegas)

19. Numb (video on BonoFalsettoVox backstage as he dresses up as MacPhisto, Edge on a stool as Morleigh does Shibari)
  20. Lemon /// Zooropa (full screen visuals)
  21. Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car (full screen visuals)
  22. Gone (full screen visuals)
  23. Please (full screen visuals)
  24. Bad / (Ruby Tuesday) / (Sympathy for the Devil)
  25. With or Without You / (Shine Like Stars)
  26. Beautiful Day
  27. '40' (Bram is the last to leave the stage)

I've heard that sentiment expressed in a few places, that the middle section doesn't make enough use of the screen, and all I can say is I didn't feel that way being there. If anything the come down after Trying... was a nice breather, and the visuals for the last 4 AB songs, even if more subdued than the first 8, are very well done. The claustrophobia of all the bugs landing and blotting out the world in Love is Blindness is very effective.

Back
Top Bottom