Random Music Talk XCIV:Great Distances and Ballistic Weaponry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I definitely like the acoustic version of OL better than the studio version.

I'd like it more if they didn't give up after two verses and just sing the refrain over and over again. At least throw in the "are we tough enough" lines or something.

I'd like it more if they didn't give up after two verses and just sing the refrain over and over again. At least throw in the "are we tough enough" lines or something.

Yeah I kinda think the "are we tough enough" is one of the highlights of the song for me. I didn't really enjoy this performance at all tbh. It was just ok. I don't think I want to see it out on tour, not in this form anyways..

I forget the exact quote but wasn't it more along the lines that they had decided not to release it, say as a single or on an album? I can't remember if he said they'd never perform it live beyond last night..

Just looked it up. Apparently Bono said at the Oscar's Nomination Lunch that the band would only play the song once, which is already a lie because they've performed it live twice.

Boner said:
It'll be the only band performance of the song. After Mandela died, we didn't think it would be right to release it as a single, because it would seem like we were trying to capitalize. So we're going to do it this once -- but it's a pretty good place to do it.

Just looked it up. Apparently Bono said at the Oscar's Nomination Lunch that the band would only play the song once, which is already a lie because they've performed it live twice.
I thought he said they'd play it acoustic for Fallon and then once live as a full band at the Oscars. He still lied in that case as it was acoustic full band in both cases.

But guyz OL on Fallon was totally spontaneous what a clever wonderful band Bono nevar lies! :happy:

Staring at the Sun?

The handful of times they got SATS right in full electric form were the best versions. Puts me to sleep acoustically.

But guyz OL on Fallon was totally spontaneous what a clever wonderful band Bono nevar lies! :happy:

Yes, the band was truly shocked when instruments appeared from behind the couch.
Even though Larry had to avoid stepping on them with his choice of seating location

Said it yesterday and will say it again now when I'm sober - that performance sucked. It wasn't bad, but U2 playing an acoustic version of a song that really isn't very good in the first place is just crap. Peef posted a link of UTEOTW live from ZooTV on Twitter, and that just sums it up really. And it's infuriating that they got an elongated standing ovation, and now all these articles and tweets are coming out lauding them when in reality the only thing more boring than yesterday's Oscars performance would have been if they'd done North Star instead of Ordinary Love.

Call me a curmudgeon, tell me I'm overexaggerating, whatever. I was just so disappointed, and we know that there is a chance we're still not going to get an album this year.

But also I'm angry because I'm overtired and because Nick Cave is touring the States in June/July with Warpaint, Kurt Vile and Reggie Watts.

I'm angry because no Chicago date means he's got plans for Lolla. Fucking hell, I hate when an artist I love gets screwed like that.

You're kidding, right? Ordinary Love was the first new U2 song we'd gotten in years. If you really waited until last night to hear it for the first time, that's ridiculous. You're a U2 fan, right?

I really like Ordinary Love right now. I never thought this song would grow on me.

Sent from my Note 3 using my S-pen.

You're kidding, right? Ordinary Love was the first new U2 song we'd gotten in years. If you really waited until last night to hear it for the first time, that's ridiculous. You're a U2 fan, right?

Apparently not enough of one.

I'd listened to the first few notes before, decided it sounded like Hands, or Electrical Storm, two of U2's crappier songs, and stopped listening. I don't like mid-tempo mediocrity, no matter who does it.

And Karen O may not have hit a single note correctly during that entire song.

KO could coo a bunch of take out menus into my ear and I'd still think it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Apparently not enough of one.

I'd listened to the first few notes before, decided it sounded like Hands, or Electrical Storm, two of U2's crappier songs, and stopped listening. I don't like mid-tempo mediocrity, no matter who does it.

And Karen O may not have hit a single note correctly during that entire song.

With respect, I don't get this at all. Why not take three minutes to listen to the full song instead of the first few notes and make a decision on whether you like it then?

Back
Top Bottom