Random Music Talk XCIV:Great Distances and Ballistic Weaponry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't really like Ordinary Love or Let It Go. They're alright but I expect better. I mean, yeah, Disney has hired pop writers so no envelopes are pushed, but there are way better ballads in the Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, etc. Ordinary Love is Ordinary Love.

Moon Song and Happy are both very enjoyable. But Let It Go has this on lock, no doubt.

Last edited:
I'll likely not hear "Let it Go" until Frozen is out on DVD, thanks to all the "in context" comments.

It's weird to me that the only cut they could find of U2 playing Exit in Rattle and Hum was one where Bono spent the entire song fiddling with his amp.

I always thought the amp-fiddling was kind of cool, though. When I first saw it all those years ago I had no idea what he was doing so it added an air of mystery to the whole thing. I really like that performance. Hell, all the performances in that movie are great.

Oh yeah, the live versions in that movie are all good. He could really belt it out back in the day. I just thought it was odd, especially with all the talk about how the band were such perfectionists with that movie.

As for tonight's Oscars performance, they should have done that bitch electric. Fuck acoustic. The rhythm section is my favorite thing about that song and it was nowhere in this stripped down version.

It's weird to me that the only cut they could find of U2 playing Exit in Rattle and Hum was one where Bono spent the entire song fiddling with his amp.

I've watched Rattle and Hum probably 50 times and never noticed that until now.

I do wish they would've included a full version of Gloria

Like, I guess I get the practical purpose of giving Adam and Larry a break mid-show by playing an acoustic song, but wouldn't it be better to just have two breaks as opposed to 19 straight songs into a 5-song encore? I think everyone would enjoy it more if they played 26 or 27 songs with two breaks to split it into thirds. God knows they love designed intros and outros.

I have liked virtually every acoustic version of their songs I've heard. :shrug:

The first half of one of the albums I've been really anticipating this year, Strangers by RAC, is out today.

This is really sort of a strange release strategy for a debut album. He's signed to Cherry Tree Records and distributed by Interscope. They put out a 4-track EP back in September, and now they're releasing the album in two parts, the first 7 tracks today and the remaining 9 on April 1. I suppose it's an effort to stir up buzz for the album, or get people to pay for the same tracks 3 times.

The full album will be available on CD and vinyl on April 1. I've pre-ordered the vinyl and I'll be listening to the tracks on Beats Music in the meantime. I am really liking what I hear so far. Lot's of great collaborations on this album.

artworks-000071832943-6ayvyt-t500x500.jpg

01 - Let Go (ft. Kele & MNDR)
02 - Ello Ello (ft. Body Language)
03 - Hollywood (ft. Penguin Prison)
04 - Cells
05 - Hard To Hold (ft. Tegan & Sara)
06 - Tourist (ft. Tokyo Police Club)
07 - Tear You Down (ft. Alex Ebert)
08 - Sixteen
09 - Seventeen (ft. Pink Feathers)
10 - Repeating Motion (ft. Karl Kling)
11 - All I Got (ft. Peter Morén)
12 - I Should've Guessed (ft. SPEAK)
13 - Ready For It (ft. St. Lucia)
14 - 405 (ft. YACHT)
15 - We Belong (ft. Katie Herzig)
16 – Cheap Sunglasses (ft. Matthew Koma)

Back
Top Bottom