Random Music CXXV: Least necessary thread edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel that my music listening fell way off in 2018. Part of my motivation for returning is to find out what I may have missed in 2018, and also to try to get back on track for 2019. I perused the 2018 favorites thread already, hopefully there is more activity to come from those of you who paid better attention than I did.

You are the resurrection AND you are the life? In this economy?

That made me laugh.

I'm looking forward to the Sharon Van Etten album, although for as much as I loved Serpents, I was underwhelmed by the rest of that album.

I love Comeback Kid, so we'll see what happens. I know you'll all be waiting with bated breath.

Are We There is beautiful, and it was such a grower for me. I wasn't sure about it at first and came to love it after a few listens. I need to get the new album. She's awesome.

Yeah. Her delivery in Afraid of Nothing is so powerful. It strikes me every time I play that album.

Never thought Sharon Van Etten sounding like the Jezabels was something I needed in my life, but I'm listening to Seventeen and convinced it's a good mix.

Yeah I was never too interested in her previous shit but I love her expanded sound on this album.

I really like the Blake album but the second track, Mile High, is so shit and puts me in such a bad mood it nearly ruins the whole thing. I fucking hate trap/mumble wrap so much. I read an article about some dude from Atlanta and how revolutionary he is. Lil Baby I think he’s called. Listened to six different songs they were all just slight variations on the same thing, and they all have that exact same skittering beat in the background. I’m happy that it speaks to so many people, and I’m happy that young black people have a big culture that they can buy into it that feels like their own as it’s different from previous hip-hop, but fuck, I hate it.

There are a lot of great producers out right now carrying garbage rappers. Thankfully, we had Denzel Curry, JID and Kendrick utilizing trap beats to their fullest potential on all of their recent releases.

I will say, even though his lyricism is absolute trash, I do enjoy Playboi Carti.

That beat is some glorious stargazing shit

All you guys talking about Sharon Van Etten makes me want to try her again. I was extraordinarily unimpressed when I saw her live several years ago. I like a singer-songwriter to be able to sing, which she couldn't do very well that night.

What sorta music does JID make? I saw him do a Pitchfork video on Chonkyfire, which piqued my interest.

That clip you just posted has a good underlying beat. The second that repetitive, high-pitched, skittering noise comes in I'm out. That shit is in literally every trap song I've heard.

You mean the hi hat? Ha, yeah, that's been the wave for a while now. The worst is when it shows up in pop songs just to make them sound trendy and modern, even though it's basically whitewashing trap music.

JID has a lot of Kendrick influence in his voice and concepts. If you liked DAMN, you'll like what he's doing. Not a big jump there.

Yeah I was never too interested in her previous shit but I love her expanded sound on this album.

I really like the Blake album but the second track, Mile High, is so shit and puts me in such a bad mood it nearly ruins the whole thing. I fucking hate trap/mumble wrap so much. I read an article about some dude from Atlanta and how revolutionary he is. Lil Baby I think he’s called. Listened to six different songs they were all just slight variations on the same thing, and they all have that exact same skittering beat in the background. I’m happy that it speaks to so many people, and I’m happy that young black people have a big culture that they can buy into it that feels like their own as it’s different from previous hip-hop, but fuck, I hate it.

You mean something like this?

I feel like there's hundreds of songs that sound exactly the same and I just don't get it.

Yes, exactly.

I’ve heard that song and some others of his before, and though he looks like shit, he’s one of the better ones because he actually enunciates clearly.

I think I'm ok with never listening to a track by Post Malone, Lil Peep, etc.

There's a period as you're getting older where you feel bad for getting out of touch with new music/trends, and try to keep up and stay informed. Then you look at people like this and reach a point where you don't care anymore.

I try to be open-minded about different cultures and I watch films from various countries around the world. But when I see someone with a bunch of face tattoos I immediately lose interest at anything they have to say.

Maybe that's something I need to work on. :shrug:

i just watched greta van fleet on saturday night live and got the exact same feeling i got watching sha na na in the woodstock movie. :|

I think I'm ok with never listening to a track by Post Malone, Lil Peep, etc.

There's a period as you're getting older where you feel bad for getting out of touch with new music/trends, and try to keep up and stay informed. Then you look at people like this and reach a point where you don't care anymore.

I try to be open-minded about different cultures and I watch films from various countries around the world. But when I see someone with a bunch of face tattoos I immediately lose interest at anything they have to say.

Maybe that's something I need to work on. :shrug:
I think what you're saying is exactly how I feel about a lot of music today as well, and is also the reason why I am so surprised by how much I enjoy the music of Post Malone.

That made me laugh.

I'm looking forward to the Sharon Van Etten album, although for as much as I loved Serpents, I was underwhelmed by the rest of that album.

I love Comeback Kid, so we'll see what happens. I know you'll all be waiting with bated breath.

Context be damned, I was still thinking this when I read Comeback Kid.

https://youtu.be/2NTyyCwwDfY

Fortunately there were enough posts in this thread since I’d last been here that it gave me enough time to remember James Blake isn’t the guy who did that fucking “you’re beautiful” song like 15 years ago. But I read almost all your posts thinking that, and it made them a lot better (if not confusing).

Her show was amazing. Thankfully, it was mostly tracks from her newest album, which I adore. Very meditative, but she had the room heaving during the bigger moments from that record, too. And the three tracks she played not from Broken Politics (Buffalo Stance, Manchild and Seven Seconds) were all awesome. It was a great show.

They play Malkmus quite a bit on Sirius XMU and I'm starting to like his solo work. Still can't get into Pavement, though, which is weird because I'm developing a taste for similar 90s indie acts like Built to Spill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom