B&C's 2020 Albums of the Year Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm kinda surprised Destroyer made it at all. Nobody talked about it until people started submitting lists.

Like we were saying in here the other day, pre-pandemic 2020 albums feel like they came out a decade ago.

That's how I felt about Torres. When I saw her pop up on the list, I couldn't even remember her putting out a new one. I haven't actually heard it yet, even.

For what it's worth, this is one of two albums that namkcuR's list helped significantly. The other was that Jessie Ware was originally #2.

I'm biased, but A Girl Called Eddy is the best storyline here.

16 years off. No music.

Immediately rockets from obscurity to U2 INTERFERENCE BANG AND CLATTER TOP 5 FOR 2020.

I want to be very clear, I joked a lot about how I discovered her, but I am so glad you stuck Jody on your DI list. It wouldn't have blown up as it did without that, and I think it's awesome. Even if it's only our little group of friends that turn into her fan club, that still makes me pretty happy.

I understand his take on gun control (a way for black people to protect themselves against tyranny and white supremacy) even if I don't agree with it. I find some of his views confronting, but I like that he is always fully himself and always starting conversations. He's a legend.

Yeah, I fully admit that I need to do a bit more research into his view points, because I think I'm being a bit led astray by that one interview from a few years ago.

Fuck this list is boring lol. All U2, Radiohead, Bowie, Floyd, etc. TWO women in 100 albums, and the top is Tori Amos which I imagine is mostly there because of the other Danny, and just four black artists. We've come a long way, and I imagine it'd be a bit different now. It's actually kinda funny to look back at the list I submitted, I've come a LONG way. It's clear I was struggling to fill 50 spots :lol:

I really want to do it again, but I know we wouldn't receive a ton of participation. Still, I may do it anyways.

The results just show me how far off I am from the taste of interference. That’s okay though. I’ll just keep throwing curveballs out that end up as wasted points. And listening to universally critically praised albums (that curiously none of my eclectically inclined in-real-life musician and music fan friends have ever mentioned as more than a disappointment based on the hype) just to make sure I’m not missing anything.

The results just show me how far off I am from the taste of interference. That’s okay though. I’ll just keep throwing curveballs out that end up as wasted points. And listening to universally critically praised albums (that curiously none of my eclectically inclined in-real-life musician and music fan friends have ever mentioned as more than a disappointment based on the hype) just to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Eh, I don't think you're that far off. You were one of the more unique lists, with 7 single vote entries, but you also made a huge impact on several albums making the final list:

The Weeknd - After Hours
Tame Impala - The Slow Rush
and you bumped Future Nostalgia into the top 20.

I wasn't sure if it was baby or window either. AH well. I love and appreciate all historic Interference memes.

I think used the window photo with cori in one of these results threads in the past. I’m always game for one of the NSW memes.

i literally only listened to two albums released in 2020 - thundercat many times, and fetch the bolt cutters once. kinda hard to make a list out of that lol.

i probably listened to about 10% as much music overall last year than i normally do, because the vast majority of the time i listened to music in the before times was either on the streetcar or in the office when i needed to shut out my coworkers and focus. working from home means i have the tv on in the background instead usually.

Last edited:
Pretty great list overall! Really happy to see Torres make the top 10 - I feel like "Silver Tongue" was really underrated on end-of-year lists for 2020. I've heard most of the albums here except for A Girl Called Eddy - I'll have to give that one a listen this week!

That's how I felt about Torres. When I saw her pop up on the list, I couldn't even remember her putting out a new one. I haven't actually heard it yet, even.

For what it's worth, this is one of two albums that namkcuR's list helped significantly. The other was that Jessie Ware was originally #2.

Very happy that my 15 points for her got her into the top 10(and nearly the top 5). Absolutely criminal that she wouldn't have been top 10 otherwise, pandemic or no.

Who was the other album I helped?

FIONAAPPLECOVER.webp

01. Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters (79 points, 8 votes; Highest Value 15)

I don't want to belabor the point, but I think this might be the most perplexed I've ever been about the degree of adulation B&C is giving an album. It's fine, it's interesting, but that's it. I don't get it. What am I missing?

So both of Taylor's 7/10 indie cosplay albums are gonna be on here huh

To be fair (with Zola Jesus) she went into great pains to explain that she didn’t mean that as a criticism against Taylor so much as one against the industry itself. But I hear you on the negativity, and I really don’t want to detract from people enjoying that record (I do too).

Not a fan of that argument either. I understand that she was criticizing the industry more than Taylor, but most of the other people who picked up on it were just responding to that one line about "indie cosplay". I just don't like the idea of deciding which artists are and aren't allowed to make a certain kind of music. .

30. Bruce Springsteen - Letter to You (9 points, 3 votes; Highest Value: 6)

Just for clarification, I gave both Alanis and Norah Jones 10 points. Is this reason Bruce ranked above them with 9 points because I was the only vote for both of them?

(Either way, you all should listen to Alanis's record. I'll keep saying it.)

Very happy that my 15 points for her got her into the top 10(and nearly the top 5). Absolutely criminal that she wouldn't have been top 10 otherwise, pandemic or no.

Who was the other album I helped?
You pushed Phoebe Bridgers over Jessie Ware.

Just for clarification, I gave both Alanis and Norah Jones 10 points. Is this reason Bruce ranked above them with 9 points because I was the only vote for both of them?

(Either way, you all should listen to Alanis's record. I'll keep saying it.)

An album has to have appeared on two lists to qualify for the top 30. Otherwise, all of the following albums would've beat Bruce:

Deep Sea Diver - Impossible Weight
Nicolas Jaar - Cenizas
Redman, Mehldau, Mcbride, Blade - Roundagain
Tobin Sprout - Empty Horses
Caribou - Suddenly
Mary Lattimore - Silver Ladders
Cornershop - England Is A Garden
Tim Heidecker - Fear Of Death
Dan Deacon - Mystic Familiar
Kurt Rosenwinkel Trio - Angels Around
Natalia Lafourcade - Un Canto Por Mexico Vol. 1
Alanis Morissette - Such Pretty Forks In The Road
Norah Jones - Pick Me Up Off The Floor

You pushed Phoebe Bridgers over Jessie Ware.

Oh, that's right.

An album has to have appeared on two lists to qualify for the top 30. Otherwise, all of the following albums would've beat Bruce:

Deep Sea Diver - Impossible Weight
Nicolas Jaar - Cenizas
Redman, Mehldau, Mcbride, Blade - Roundagain
Tobin Sprout - Empty Horses
Caribou - Suddenly
Mary Lattimore - Silver Ladders
Cornershop - England Is A Garden
Tim Heidecker - Fear Of Death
Dan Deacon - Mystic Familiar
Kurt Rosenwinkel Trio - Angels Around
Natalia Lafourcade - Un Canto Por Mexico Vol. 1
Alanis Morissette - Such Pretty Forks In The Road
Norah Jones - Pick Me Up Off The Floor

Gotcha. Thought as much. Thanks.

And thanks for running this :)

I don't want to belabor the point, but I think this might be the most perplexed I've ever been about the degree of adulation B&C is giving an album. It's fine, it's interesting, but that's it. I don't get it. What am I missing?

Answering this question is difficult for any album because there's so much subjectivity and contextual nuance involved in what makes something appealing to an individual or group of people.

On a purely musical level, what a lot of people love about Fiona is that she's making music that feels very unique and hand-carved, in a way. There aren't a lot of ingredients in her recipe these past couple albums (piano, clattering drums, upright bass) but they are mixed with so much finesse and are in service of such idiosyncratic songwriting that they add up to something very unique. Outside of perhaps some more recent Tom Waits releases, I have a difficult time placing her influences these days. There's a special atmosphere and texture to Fiona's past couple albums that reflect their creation, recorded in isolation, separated from cultural trends. If you're listening to a new Fiona Apple album, you can expect it to sound cared for and lived-in.

Another factor that needs to be accounted for is that fans are invested in Fiona and her development as an artist and individual. Taylor, Kanye, Sufjan, anyone who has given us a window into their personal development will ask for a degree of investment when they release new music. If you've been following Fiona's personal arc, which has been very public and transparent in her music, you will find Fetch the Bolt Cutters utterly fascinating. I seldom feel more heard, more understood than I do when I listen to the vulnerable, fragile The Idler Wheel. The gall it took to release a song like Every Single Night, let alone as her comeback single, made her a hero in my eyes. She gave what she had left of herself on that record without sugarcoating the challenging realities of mental illness, romantic tumult and despair. As such, the assertive, fiery, strong-willed Fiona of Fetch the Bolt Cutters feels like an evolution, a kind of triumph.

On a more contextual note, Fiona's strength gave hope to many listeners during the pandemic. The album was written and recorded long before the pandemic, but the songs were written in isolation and speak to strength of the will and victory over circumstance, which resonates in these dark times. Because of its detailed lyricism, impassioned vocals, singular arrangements and textured production, the album will maintain its value long after life has returned to whatever version of normalcy we get, but it's difficult to ignore what it meant back in April. I'll never forget it.

Last edited:
Oh my God, Laz gave me a near heart attack, but no:

This did not count.

I totally assume GAF submitted a new list with Evermore on it.

That makes me even more shocked that it made the Top 10 without his inclusion?

Answering this question is difficult for any album because there's so much subjectivity and contextual nuance involved in what makes something appealing to an individual or group of people.

On a purely musical level, what a lot of people love about Fiona is that she's making music that feels very unique and hand-carved, in a way. There aren't a lot of ingredients in her recipe these past couple albums (piano, clattering drums, upright bass) but they are mixed with so much finesse and are in service of such idiosyncratic songwriting that they add up to something very unique. Outside of perhaps some more recent Tom Waits releases, I have a difficult time placing her influences these days. There's a special atmosphere and texture to Fiona's past couple albums that reflect their creation, recorded in isolation, separated from cultural trends. If you're listening to a new Fiona Apple album, you can expect it to sound cared for and lived-in.

Another factor that needs to be accounted for is that fans are invested in Fiona and her development as an artist and individual. Taylor, Kanye, Sufjan, anyone who has given us a window into their personal development will ask for a degree of investment when they release new music. If you've been following Fiona's personal arc, which has been very public and transparent in her music, you will find Fetch the Bolt Cutters utterly fascinating. I seldom feel more heard, more understood than I do when I listen to the vulnerable, fragile The Idler Wheel. The gall it took to release a song like Every Single Night, let alone as her comeback single, made her a hero in my eyes. She gave what she had left of herself on that record without sugarcoating the challenging realities of mental illness, romantic tumult and despair. As such, the assertive, fiery, strong-willed Fiona of Fetch the Bolt Cutters feels like an evolution, a kind of triumph.

On a more contextual note, Fiona's strength gave hope to many listeners during the pandemic. The album was written and recorded long before the pandemic, but the songs were written in isolation and speak to strength of the will and victory over circumstance, which resonates in these dark times. Because of its detailed lyricism, impassioned vocals, singular arrangements and textured production, the album will maintain its value long after life has returned to whatever version of normalcy we get, but it's difficult to ignore what it meant back in April. I'll never forget it.

All of this, but it should also be mentioned that it isn't just B&C that has praised the album so highly. It's likely the critical favorite of the year, period, and I fully expect it to top the Pazz & Jop poll if it's still happening.

The album near the top that's more overrated is the Jessie Ware, IMO. I thought it was really good, but #3 of the year? Ehh. The songwriting simply doesn't compare with Fiona, Phoebe, or Taylor.

It's awesome, and whilst LM is getting the credit, I'm very happy to give you the credit Ashley. What a great story. I might try and get in touch with her (she responds on social media) and let her know about the strange little fandom she has on a nearly-dead U2 forum.

Maybe leave out the nearly-dead part.

Maybe leave out the U2 part too.

LM's whole post articulates very well what is great about this album, but this is the part that does it for me. Fetch the Bolt Cutters a culmination in her personal journey. We saw the angry and depressed teenager of Tidal, the public exorcism of her demons in The Idler Wheel. We now see the exuberant confidence of someone who has really dealt with her shit. The music, lyricism and even vocal delivery all project a supremely resolute message, like Fiona is now asserting the role of an elder who has seen it all. It is hard not to be captured by it. Her own history is what makes this album as liberating as it is.

Not to be all nostalgic on you, but last night's chat and the DI earlier this year made me really miss the old and active days of interference. It was a blast to read the thread on the best interference albums that LM shared. I can't overstate how much my musical horizons were expanded because of this stupid website that I love dearly.

Did anyone else here listen to Nicolas Jaar's Cenizas album? I thought LM and Cobbler at least followed him. I can't be the only one who liked it. :lol:

:wink:

Uno, dos, catorze, tres!

(Sort it out now, Ashley)

source.gif

:grumpy:.

I will not try to go full on woe is me on you all, but ever since I got Covid, my rheumatoid arthritis has been acting up, and it's been extremely bad the last week. Meaning: I had planned on getting everything ready the weekend leading up to the unveiling so that I could post in decent increments, but instead, I had to do all of the post writing/researching AS I was doing the countdown, and I started getting nervous about how long it was taking, so I rushed at the end, leading to 5, 3, 4, 2, 1; giving Girl Called Eddy the wrong album title; and forgetting to include a quote from Laz in folklore's entry. :sad:

Not to be all nostalgic on you, but last night's chat and the DI earlier this year made me really miss the old and active days of interference. It was a blast to read the thread on the best interference albums that LM shared. I can't overstate how much my musical horizons were expanded because of this stupid website that I love dearly.

I completely agree. One of the things about my own mental health I've been working on is trying to keep in touch with people. I have really neglected Interference over the last few years and I regret it, as the population gets smaller and smaller. I really do plan on going out kicking and screaming, if I have to, which means I'm going to try and do a few more survivor/poll-like things, even if only a handful of people participate. Why not?

Did anyone else here listen to Nicolas Jaar's Cenizas album? I thought LM and Cobbler at least followed him. I can't be the only one who liked it. :lol:

I don't recall listening to it, but I've got it on my list for today. As with The Tourist's #1 album (And Salome's but that whole list is one I need to look more into), I feel bad when someone else's favorite album gets totally overlooked.

Yes, I listened to it, and it didn't do much for me at all. I've listened to old stuff of his too. I've really only liked AAL. Not that any of his stuff is bad, just doesn't move my needle.

Re Fiona, I just think it's a great, catchy, fun and memorable album. I'm not invested in her personal journey at all, so I can't agree with that point (but can provide a counterpoint to say that you don't need to be invested in her career and journey to dig FTBC!)

Of course, I tease with love.

Thanks for all the work and it was indeed a lot of fun.

Shame we didn’t get a visit from drunk GAF, though.

Absolutely, I promise I take the teasing with a point of pride. It's not an Interference poll/top ## list without the person running it screwing up somehow.

GAF :(.

Yes, I listened to it, and it didn't do much for me at all. I've listened to old stuff of his too. I've really only liked AAL. Not that any of his stuff is bad, just doesn't move my needle.

Re Fiona, I just think it's a great, catchy, fun and memorable album. I'm not invested in her personal journey at all, so I can't agree with that point (but can provide a counterpoint to say that you don't need to be invested in her career and journey to dig FTBC!)

I listened to it this afternoon. I enjoyed it very much and it was far more eclectic in its different branches into the genre it took than I was expecting. It's been a while since I've listened to one of his Nicolas Jaar records, but I recalled him being more drone/ambient. Unfortunately, I do agree with COBL that I preferred Against All Logic of the two.

I am going to make an effort to go through Fiona's discovery this week, including reading the lyrics. This isn't one of those situations where I'm desperate to understand why something is so popular, so much as I would very much like to take the time to see if it will eventually click for me. I think this would be a worthwhile use of my time, to begin with, because I already do enjoy her music quite a bit. Just not on the level as others.

Taylor appearing twice in B&C's top 10 is a personal victory for GAF after years of spotlighting her music here to little traction and deserved a drunken celebratory rant.

From Erin Molan: thank you so much Daniel! thrilled you guys like my music. Hope to get to Australia to play sometime if life gets back to normal. Please send my hello and thanks to your group for the support! erin xo

:heart::heart::heart:

Well, that made my night. And I was having a really crappy one, too, so thank you, Cobbz!

Back
Top Bottom