Radiohead discussion continues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Spectre. In fact, as someone who didn't love KOL, I'd take it over anything on that album, including the non-album tracks(Staircase, Supercollider, etc). It is so good.

I generally agree with the sentiment wishing for Radiohead to sound like Radiohead again and less like Thom solo stuff, but I'm not sure Spectre does sound like Thom solo stuff. There were some youtube comments pointing out that it kind of has a Pyramid Song vibe, which I think is accurate. So maybe more Amnesiac-era Radiohead than solo Thom? Either way, the track has a warmth to it that basically all of KOL was lacking(but that was abundant on IR), imo.

It's funny, my brother(who is also a huge fan) and I listened to the track for the first time together while he was having a smoke, and when Thom started with his typical late-era vocal style, I was like, 'I guess they're never going to sound like they did fifteen+ years ago again', and he said 'yeah, they're done making pop songs'. So I guess it's a feeling throughout the fanbase that this is what Radiohead is now.

Anyway, I really love this track. Easily my favorite RH track since IR.

It's funny, my brother(who is also a huge fan) and I listened to the track for the first time together while he was having a smoke, and when Thom started with his typical late-era vocal style, I was like, 'I guess they're never going to sound like they did fifteen+ years ago again', and he said 'yeah, they're done making pop songs'. So I guess it's a feeling throughout the fanbase that this is what Radiohead is now.

Is that a problem, though? We already have The Bends and OK Computer if we want the pop-rock stuff. We don't need those albums again.

How about something that's neither The Bends nor The Eraser? Been a long while since either one at this point. For a band that took one of the coolest and boldest left turns of the 21st century with Kid A, maybe it's time for them to surprise us yet again.

At this point, it would actually be bolder and more surprising to go back to the 90s sound, though I think they're capable of giving us something entirely new for them.

Last edited:
I'd like to see something more traditionally guitar based. And I don't think that necessarily has to mean they sacrifice the atmosphere that comes with their work. I don't mean a repeat of the Bends. Looking at King of Limbs and of course it features guitar playing, but it often seems buried underneath other studio/computer trickery.

Songs like Jigsaw Falling/Weird Fishes/Bodysnatchers etc were just two albums ago and they have more of that readily apparent Thom/Jonny/Ed guitar interplay. Ya heard me?

How about something that's neither The Bends nor The Eraser? Been a long while since either one at this point.

I don't think that's fair to KoL, which is far from a uniform set of skittering electronic stuff. And someone mentioned warmth being missing, but damn doesn't Separator have an uplifting vibe to it?

In a dream world, I would take a piano-led album. Some of the recent tracks on piano, like Codex and Ingenue live, are beyond stunning.

A haunting set of songs in the vein of Giving Up the Ghost and Codex would be sublime, yes. It would give Jonny an opportunity to get bring in what he learned from his solo work. That man can paint with sound.

But I miss not so much RAWK Radiohead as I do full band Radiohead, the kind that offered Phil and Colin so many opportunities to shine. Even a low-key album like In Rainbows had a lot of energy behind it and plenty of strong individual performances from everyone in the band. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi is loaded with them. There's been too much electronic programming and too much solo piano from Thom. Radiohead has an extraordinarily talented cast of musicians; put them to work.

In Rainbows really was the perfect synthesis of their career to that point. I'll never forget the first time I heard Nude and Reckoner - those two are so damn inventive while still being wildly accessible.

In Rainbows was probably the most memorable new album listening experience I've ever had. I remember almost every single thing about listening to it that first time on headphones.

Yep. I remember that email going out at 2 AM or whenever and playing the album nonstop for a couple of days. That's as close to a flawless album as it gets.

There was so much whining at the time about the 160 bitrate. :lol:

I remember a lot of people bitching about Videotape being neutered or something compared to the live versions. IMO that studio take is nearly perfect.

I remember a lot of people bitching about Videotape being neutered or something compared to the live versions. IMO that studio take is nearly perfect.

The immediate bitching was about that odd clicking noise (whatever it is) that they added to the studio version.

But I miss not so much RAWK Radiohead as I do full band Radiohead, the kind that offered Phil and Colin so many opportunities to shine. Even a low-key album like In Rainbows had a lot of energy behind it and plenty of strong individual performances from everyone in the band. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi is loaded with them. There's been too much electronic programming and too much solo piano from Thom. Radiohead has an extraordinarily talented cast of musicians; put them to work.

That's kind of what I was getting at, except you explained it a lot better.

Yeah, they fucked up the studio version with the clicking (though I don't mind it all that much) and the last verse cutting off in the middle of a lyric. That last verse thing bothered me way more.

Last edited:
I still worship the 2006 live versions. There were way too many fantastic guitar parts there for them to be thrown off so carelessly.

I do love the studio version, but I still wish that live version got a proper studio treatment.

So apparently a couple of months before each of the last two album releases, Radiohead created a company to release them. For In Rainbows, they created it three months ahead of time. For KOL, it was two months ahead of time.

Radiohead created a company in October.

I want to be all like this :hyper: :panic: :hyper: so I hope they've got something up their sleeve. They don't seem to care much about release cycles anymore.

In Rainbows is in my top five or ten albums, all-time. I adore it. Videotape is perfect, and when y'all talk about the "click" are you talking about the cascading drumming that comes in and then slowly falls apart? Cos I love that shit.

In Rainbows is in my top five or ten albums, all-time. I adore it. Videotape is perfect, and when y'all talk about the "click" are you talking about the cascading drumming that comes in and then slowly falls apart? Cos I love that shit.

No. Listen at 3:08 and beyond.

It's kind of low pitched, I think it's supposed to be on the off beat to get a syncopated effect on the percussion.

It's never bothered me. I just miss the epic buildup of the track that was present in the early live versions.

Starting around 2:00, my goodness.

People complain about that? It has literally never bothered me. Never even thought about it til now.

It was a very early complaint. I'm talking like, literally, the day the album was released and the day after. It was something that a lot of people on boards were mentioning. People haven't really complained about it since, it was just something that was easy to grab onto when the thing was first released because it hadn't been present in the live versions.

It's never bothered me. I just miss the epic buildup of the track that was present in the early live versions.

Starting around 2:00, my goodness.

The sparseness of the album version matches the sentiment of the song: fading away with nothing left of you but an outmoded memory. "Epic" is not a term I would want associated with the song, but then again I had never heard any of the live versions before IR came out and so had nothing to compare it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom