RA D IOHE_AD "IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These are great outtakes. But I'm not sure if any of them would have fit on In Rainbows, or if they are as good as what is actually on the proper album.

Have to give another listen.

Sent to Gibby, Zootles, and iskra.

I've been walking around campus listening to this all day. Still digesting it, I suppose. I really like Go Slowly and Up on the Ladder though. Bangers and Mash is getting less good on repeat listens.

Cuttooth still reigns as the best non-album track.

I got it already but thanks imp! :rockon:

I guess these songs are growers... (just like disc 1 was for me) they're nice but I need to listen again. Prolly the best impression was made by Bangers and Mash!

inmyplace13 said:
Cuttooth still reigns as the best non-album track.

Hell Muthafucking Yes!!! :rockon:

But don't forget Lift. :combust:

lazarus said:
These are great outtakes. But I'm not sure if any of them would have fit on In Rainbows, or if they are as good as what is actually on the proper album.

Have to give another listen.

I'm trying to make a solid, 12-song alternate playlist with the new tracks, and they fit pretty well.

Down Is the New Up -> Reckoner -> 4 Minute Warning -> Last Flowers ftw.

I'm loving this disc, a lot.

Videotape is still growing on me, but I preferred Last Flowers upon the first few listens. It may be the better song, but that flow of songs + thematic content pushes it to "awesome closer" status for me. Plus, it links well with 15 Step for solid repeat value.

MK 1 -> Videotape works pretty well like someone mentioned earlier, too.

Last edited:
Let me know what your whole list looks like. I don't see anything wrong with putting both MKs on there because they can act perfectly as segues.

Here's the provisional list, I'll probably tweak it some more before I'm fully satisfied with it, but it's been good for a listen or two:

1. 15 Step
2. Bodysnatchers
3. Up on the Ladder
4. Go Slowly
5. All I Need
6. Jigsaw Falling into Place
---
7. Faust Arp
8. Weird Fishes / Arpeggi
9. Down Is the New Up
10. Reckoner
11. 4 Minute Warning
12. Last Flowers

I broke it into Side 1 and Side 2 because I love mixes/cassette-esque playlists. The first half deals with the search for some sort of perfection, but ultimately failing and just taking what one can get, while the second half is shit going crazy (down becoming the new up, guys) and how it gets dealt with. I don't know, I just made that up.

Nude was cut because it bores the hell out of me now, I always end up skipping it, and the "new"-er tracks have far better ballads that need to be on the disc. Videotape could be switched with Last Flowers, really. House of Cards was cut because it kind of blows, sorry L-Mel.

Haven't listened to the new songs yet, but would it be fair to suggest that given the quality fo the songs and despite Radiohead having a reputation for making great quality non-album songs (Cutooth, Fog, Talk Shoiw Host, Bishop's Robes), that the songs were excluded not because of any inferirority but because of their failure to fit in with the binary code 1 and a zero Ok Computer mix and match flow thingo?

LemonMacPhisto said:
Nude was cut because it bores the hell out of me now, I always end up skipping it, and the "new"-er tracks have far better ballads that need to be on the disc. Videotape could be switched with Last Flowers, really. House of Cards was cut because it kind of blows, sorry L-Mel.

Xavi is going to kill you for cutting Nude. And I'll stomp on your carcass for cutting House of Cards.

Denial....denial....

:xavidrool:

House of Cards loses me after the killer first line. Thom's singing about real people again, awesome! ... but it's boring. At least for me, that's the beauty of this 2nd disc + iTunes.

2-Minute Acoustic "House Of Cards" pretty much pwns anything on the final album.

Hell, it pwns a lot of stuff throughout their entire career.

They butchered that song as soon as they went on tour.

intedomine said:
Haven't listened to the new songs yet, but would it be fair to suggest that given the quality fo the songs and despite Radiohead having a reputation for making great quality non-album songs (Cutooth, Fog, Talk Shoiw Host, Bishop's Robes), that the songs were excluded not because of any inferirority but because of their failure to fit in with the binary code 1 and a zero Ok Computer mix and match flow thingo?

Oh god, here we go again... :corn:

LemonMacPhisto said:

:sad: I thought we had similar taste. House Of Cards is still my favorite (or 2nd fav after All I Need) track on Disc 1. :drool:

Maybe I'll warm up to it sometime, kind of like my recent love for Hail to the Thief, but for now it's in the doghouse.

All I Need is still baller, but Weird Fishes and 15 Step are challenging it for top spot. They're Top 25 Song worthy material.

Only had one listen, on the walk to work, this morning, but I must say that I quite enjoy the non-album tracks. Additionally, I don't have any problem (as of yet) with their not being included on the final pressing of the LP proper. Good stuff--sometimes great, even--but I'm satisfied with what they released. Good stuff both on and off the record. Hellz yeah.

LemonMacPhisto said:

That was a stab in the back. :mad:

I honestly don't believe any of the new material is good enough to hang with the proper In Rainbows material. Down Is The New Up is pretty good, but is lyrically awful and clearly doesn't fit thematically with the rest of the album, Up On The Ladder is OK, but has that too-slow-to-rock-out-to-yet-too-fast-to-relax-to beat that drives me nuts, and it lacks a solid chorus. Go Slowly could have been great, as it contains a very intriguing melody, but since it builds to nothing, I feel no great urge to play it again. Last Flowers is just awful, lacking a strong melody, Bangers and Mash will never be a good song no matter how much they attempt to polish it up, and 4 Minute Warning is merely OK. I'd give the second disc about a C+, while I'd give the proper album an A-. I'm certainly glad I didn't spend $80 on it. :up:

After one excursion to class, I've made it through the bonus disc again.

Last Flowers finally hit me. I'm not floored by it by any means, but it's a very nice song.

First of all, thanks elevated_u2_fan for the link :up:

Good addition, but I can see why these were left off In Rainbows. None of them are really up to that quality, or if they are (Up on the Ladder :drool: ), they don't sound like they belong on that album. Up on the Ladder would have fit nicely on Hail, 4 Minute Warning reminds me of Kid A, etc... Bangers & Mash would be a good b-side to Bodysnatchers. I like Radiohead doing that gritty, Velvet Underground/Television - esque rock.

Last Flowers is very pretty, but Yorke's voice on it isn't great...he's much better on All I Need :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom