RA D IOHE_AD "IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
09pare650.2.jpg

don't ya just love them? :wink:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/arts/music/09pare.html?pagewanted=all

Great article :up:

:drool:

xaviMF22 said:
whats everyone's favorite In Rainbows moment?

for me All I need at 1:44

white noise + glockenspiel = winning combination.

:drool: :drool:

When the guitar kicks in during 15 Step. It's the epitome of sublime.

xaviMF22 said:

for me All I need at 1:44

white noise + glockenspiel = winning combination.

:drool: :drool:

2:45 All I Need :drool:

xaviMF22 said:

Start to finish: Jigsaw Falling Into Place :up:

One of my local radio stations is playing All I Need quite a bit the last few weeks, which is awesome.

LemonMacPhisto said:

When the guitar kicks in during 15 Step. It's the epitome of sublime.

:drool: understated and kick-ass all in one.

My favourite part of the entire album:

Has the light gone out for you?
Cause the light's gone out for me
It is the 21st century
It is the 21st century

The sound, lyrics...ughhh. :drool:

Great article, xavi. :up:

I've been listening to this album lately, and it's really awesome. It's grown on me. It's very beautiful at times.

Still a little too much for me, I don't usually focus that deeply on music, but every now and then they hit me. Good stuff.

After tweaking the first playlist, I think I've made one I can be happy with:

1. 15 Step
2. Bodysnatchers
3. Up on the Ladder
4. 4 Minute Warning
5. All I Need
6. Jigsaw Falling into Place
7. Faust Arp
8. Weird Fishes / Arpeggi
9. Down Is the New Up
10. Reckoner
11. Last Flowers
12. MK 1
13. Videotape

Yeah forget what I said earlier, Videotape does have to close the album (MK 1 goes really well into it, too). Nude can be subbed in for 4 Minute Warning and House of Cards can be subbed in for Last Flowers and still work, too.

Down Is the New Up is the balls, guys.

Last edited:
Best moment of IR? The climax of All I Need. It's one of those musical pieces that can make me cry with very few lyrics being involved.

xaviMF22 said:

Jonny Greenwood FTW :up:

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm convinced he's the true genius of the band. The guy can do it all, especially as a composer.

Any time you can make a great song out of the instrument used in the main titles of Star Trek, then you have to win at something.

Ok, here's my first attempt. Admittedly, it is a study of half-assery.

1. 15 Step
2. Bodysnatchers
3. Bangers & Mash
4. Nude
5. Go Slowly
6. Weird Fishes/ Arpeggi
7. Last Flowers
8. All I Need
9. Faust Arp
10. Up On the Ladder
11. Reckoner
12. House of Cards
13. Jigsaw
14. MK2
15. 4 Minute Warning
16. MK1
17. Videotape

I tried to stick with the general flow that the band had in mind to mixed success.

Well, I've had the new songs for less than an hour, but I can already say that I am baffled as to how House Of Cards got on the album when Last Flowers and 4 Minute Warning were sitting around.

I like all of these songs a lot, except for Bangers & Mash and Up On The Ladder, as they haven't grown on me yet, and I don't feel they fit with the rest.

I think MK1 and MK2 work great as sort of interludes in a running order, thought not nearly long or substantial enough to be considered actual songs in their own right.

That said, I've already assembled a running order that I think works quite well. I didn't use all the songs, just 13 of them.

1.15 Step
2.Jigsaw Falling Into Place
3.Nude
4.Last Flowers
5.Faust Arp
6.Go Slowly
7.MK2(Interlude)
8.Reckoner
9.4 Minute Warning
10.All I Need
11.Down Is The New Up
12.MK1(Interlude)
13.Videotape

I don't mean to blow my own horn, but I think the transitions here are really great all the way through, especially Nude->Last Flowers->Faust Arp->Go Slowly and 4 Minute Warning->All I Need->Down Is The New Up.

I really tried to make a running order that made the record flow completely, that made it sound like one long song. Whether I succeeded or not, I don't know. Please, give this running order a try. I don't think you'll regeret it.

And yes, I cut House Of Cards, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, and Bodysnatchers. I just didn't think they matched the quality of the others. I actually think Go Slowly accomplished what House Of Cards was trying to, only better.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the running order.

And thanks again, elevated :)

I simply cannot understand how so many people like the ordinary Reckoner and not the beautiful House Of Cards!

namkcuR said:

Well, I've had the new songs for less than an hour, but I can already say that I am baffled as to how House Of Cards got on the album when Last Flowers and 4 Minute Warning were sitting around.

Both are dull and uninteresting, and neither have a melody that can match that of House Of Cards'.

Simple enough? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom