NLOTH Reviews Pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the drums are great. Mixes electro with real kit well. This album really belongs to two men though, Bono & Edge.

the drums are great. Mixes electro with real kit well. This album really belongs to two men though, Bono & Edge.

Were you able to match the U2.com clips and "For Your Love" to the songs on the album, just for the fuck of it?

03 Feb

First Impressions of the New U2 Album, No Line On The Horizon

As we enter the DEFCON 1 environs of Universal Music (not really, just hand over your mobile please. And your soul), I can only think that teenage me would really be freaking out right now to be hearing an advance copy of a new U2 album a full month before it becomes ubiquitous out in the world (maybe sooner, if a copyfight happy employee decides to leak it. C’maaaaaan, chumpy!)

Adult me is also pretty excited.

Focus! We were only permitted to hear it through once, and the sheer joy I felt afterwards over it not being searingly terrible has forced a lot of critical faculties out of my brain. Still, I would characterise No Line On The Horizon overall as falling firmly near the Achtung Baby/Zooropa/Pop triumvirate (OF AWESOME) with a sprinkling of Boy (also, excellent) and very far from the All That You Can’t Dismantle You Leave Atomic Bombs Behind, or whatever they were called twinset (OF TERRIBLE), with only a few nods to the later 80’s with a lot of OH OH OH OHHHs that surely this band can take a patent out on now.

In due time I will collect my thoughts for a real review closer to the release date, for now I’ll just transcribe my notes:

No Line On The Horizon

U2 have been listening to Kings of Leon. Dirty big Fly-like riff tears out of speakers, masses of percussion upfront in the mix. First of several Boyesque choruses, Oh-oh-oh-oooooh! This song is incredibly loud. Phwoar, good start.

Magnificent

U2 have been listening to the Killers. Oh wait, only a bit. Stomps along at maybe U2’s quickest ever clip, (they’re aren’t really for fast ones though, are they?) a neat 4/4 disco rock beat. THIS is the guitar album they have been banging on about for a decade. Huge riff. Some Real Thingish slide guitar choruses. Is this one of Bono’s God songs? Could definitely be about a woman (very good at that trope now, Bono.) “Only love can leave such a scar.” This is incredibly aptly titled, clever U2. Stadium ready “You and I will make a fire!” This will be a single.

Moment of Surrender

A downtempo, Eno-heavy gospel thing, a soul ballad built on a heavy bass figure and prominent, processed drums. Ok, so everything is on fire (“We’ll set ourselves on fire.”) Right, U2 own this Ohoh oh ooh OOHHHH thing, I got it. “I’ve been down every dark road”, I love it when Bono gets existential, this is my favourite Bono mode. Then he’s on his knees in a revery in the street, “I did not notice them, they did not notice me” perhaps the only time Bono has vocalised a desire for anonymity. “ATM machine”. Well, we all call them that.

Unknown Caller

Birds?? A Morroccan drone. Guitar figure sounds a lot like… Walk On? (AGAST I AM. Still sounds pretty great.) Is this about someone getting mugged? Some kind of tech nightmare, “you know your password, key it in.” Something about making it out alive. “3:33 in the morning and the numbers dropped off the clockface” (here I have double underlined, LOVE THIS. I am glad Bono uses concrete imagery.) Urgent sounding church organ, a horn section (whoa.) First-ever instance of double tracked lead vocals. Double the Bono! (Again I have underlined LOVE THIS.) “Escape yourself and gravity.”

(I am trying very hard to not stare too long or obviously at the photos in the press pack, which is hard because U2 look very handsome in them, especially Adam “Silverfox” Clayton. Edge looks in one like he might punch the photographer. Edge is very good looking. Bono, it is Edge who has a beard. And for God’s sake GET SOME NEW GLASSES. Or a new stylist. Or are you dressing yourself? Stop doing that. I am thinking of starting you a PayPal account.)

I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight

Awesome in spite of immensely stupid title. Bono hits crazy high notes in chorus (see what he did there?) Is this song addressed to anyone in particular? A party girl who longs for a quiet life, but we want her to perform, part of us wants her to go crazy! She’s a rainbow! Leave her alone. A Beatlesque guitar figure, building a very sweet, pop melody and into a rousing “Baby, baby, baby” chorus (love when Bono says ‘baby’ without being ironic.) Will absolutely kill live, “I think I’ll go crazy if I don’t go crazy tonight!” Stomping again. Good good.

Get On Your Boots

Here’s the Elvis Costello song. This is so damn catchy. The tried and tested U2 trick of a lead single not really indicative of the rest of the album. Still love that glam rock riff.

Stand Up Comedy

Dreading this, the worst of the superbad titles. Then, huge Led Zepplin riff, into Stone Roses groove. Most Achtung-like track, big celebratory rock song, amazingly good. We’re at a peace rally. “Stand up for your love!” A big crunchy bass line and McCartney-infused melodies. “Stand up to rock stars!” A pattern emerges: the worse the title, the better the song.

FEZ-Being Born

Sounds like a crowded marketplace, phones are ringing. Recycles ‘Boots’ “let me in the sound!”, underwater. Eno all over. Flat out, exceedingly weird. EXCELLENT (double underlined.) Blips and noise, Passengers return. OK! New song. A militaristic shuffle propels uptempo rock. No discernible hook but instead weaves a sound, layers of keyboard and chiming notes. Many voiced chorus. ENO (circled, underlined.) Totally out there.

White as Snow

Piano playing a lullaby. Spare, Johnny Cash guitar. This is what the Wanderer might have been like had he recorded it. Intro sounds like the Necks. I deeply love this. Bono does Nick Cave. A murder ballad, “my brother and I would drive for hours.” “The water was icy, the road refuses strangers.” “They were hunting in the woods.” Hypnotically slow narration. I can see this rapidly becoming one of my favourite ever U2 songs. Like nothing they’ve ever done. Please make a bare-bones country album one day.

Breathe

Wacky time signature, 16/9? Band and Bono come crashing in, Bono is trying to out-Dylan Dylan with free-form rapid fire choruses (“A cockatoo!” WHAT.) Time straightens out into massively catchy 3/4 chorus (“Walk out, into the street/ See your heart, see my heart out”). Huge guitar line, Achtung Baby x Joshua Tree. Strings and piano join, Bono reaching his upper register in an unabashedly uplifting chorus up there with U2’s best melodies. I wish this would go forever. I can see Bono belting this with his face up to the sky and that beatific grin, as 60,000 people join in. Crazy if this isn’t a single.

Cedars of Lebanon

Bono is in deep-talking sexy mode, like Velvet Dress (actually this is my favourite Bono mode.) Bluesy keys and guitar build a very sombre mood, this album is ending on a heavy, downbeat note as the best U2 albums always have (even heavier than Wake Up Dead Man/Love is Blindness which are equally a little like being hit in the head with a shovel.) A war correspondent recalls a litany of shit and his now disjointed senses, but “the shitty world sometimes produces a rose” bringing small note of stubborn optimism. Bono neatly slays the entire profession of journalism: “the best of us are masters of compression.” Yikes. Definitively proves “crap title equals killer track” rule.

In conclusion:

I’m dying to hear this album again. And again many times over. Definitely U2’s most challenging record, with the band hitting previously unheard of straps. Bono especially sounds far better than he has over the last decade, or longer, and never sounds like he’s pushing to hit notes he can’t reach, instead totally flying.

In closing: Thankyou U2, for not sucking. I will not be ending our relationship on Facebook.

Best review yet :up:

Walt...I assume you heard the 4 beach clips back last summer when one of our friends at Interference was nice enough to post what he had recorded outside Bono's house
My only question to you would be .......did what you hear on those clips Magnificent,Breathe,Unknown Caller change much now that you've heard them on the record?? I hope the answer is no...or not that much..sometimes I think the band has a tendency to tweak songs a bit too much when it's not needed...........thanks

In the first verse of the Unknown Caller beach clip, I clearly hear:

"in a place of no consequence or company
3:33 in the morning and the numbers dropped off the clockface
speed dialling with no signal at all"

Can you see it too? (pun intended)

some of you have been asking about the production.

Very similar asthetically speaking to achtung baby. Lots of bleeps and digital glitches that sound like a modern updated version of AB. One brilliant aspect of the production is that songs jump from feeling compressed, treated and claustrophobic to being completely lush and sparse in the chorus, it's a great dynamic. It's all starting to fade from my mind now but the most promising thing is that the songs go to unexpected places, and it sounds like an album that will reward slowly as oppose to flashing itself, and then fading away.

Thanks for the review - I'm very excited.. the last line reminds me of the something the Slow Loris said last year !

Oh damn, why I slept???? I lost a conversation about fake edge (seriously, you guys read minds, cause I was just going to create a thread about him so that people that joined after could understand what was all that about.) and Walt's review.

Congratulations Walt. Great review! You really got me excited about White as Snow. Just one question: I got the impression that a lot of songs use choirs. Is that so?

Oh damn, why I slept???? I lost a conversation about fake edge (seriously, you guys read minds, cause I was just going to create a thread about him so that people that joined after could understand what was all that about.)

No need to:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f224/a-message-to-our-readers-99316.html

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/a-few-items-97396.html

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/good-evening-interferencers-97355.html

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...playing-is-overrated-97713-6.html#post1746997

^Well, you know how hard it is for some people to find links. :wink:

Anyone else finds interesting his comment on releasing "remasters of previous material"?

03 Feb

First Impressions of the New U2 Album, No Line On The Horizon

As we enter the DEFCON 1 environs of Universal Music (not really, just hand over your mobile please. And your soul), I can only think that teenage me would really be freaking out right now to be hearing an advance copy of a new U2 album a full month before it becomes ubiquitous out in the world (maybe sooner, if a copyfight happy employee decides to leak it. C’maaaaaan, chumpy!)

Adult me is also pretty excited.

Focus! We were only permitted to hear it through once, and the sheer joy I felt afterwards over it not being searingly terrible has forced a lot of critical faculties out of my brain. Still, I would characterise No Line On The Horizon overall as falling firmly near the Achtung Baby/Zooropa/Pop triumvirate (OF AWESOME) with a sprinkling of Boy (also, excellent) and very far from the All That You Can’t Dismantle You Leave Atomic Bombs Behind, or whatever they were called twinset (OF TERRIBLE), with only a few nods to the later 80’s with a lot of OH OH OH OHHHs that surely this band can take a patent out on now.

In due time I will collect my thoughts for a real review closer to the release date, for now I’ll just transcribe my notes:

No Line On The Horizon

U2 have been listening to Kings of Leon. Dirty big Fly-like riff tears out of speakers, masses of percussion upfront in the mix. First of several Boyesque choruses, Oh-oh-oh-oooooh! This song is incredibly loud. Phwoar, good start.

Magnificent

U2 have been listening to the Killers. Oh wait, only a bit. Stomps along at maybe U2’s quickest ever clip, (they’re aren’t really for fast ones though, are they?) a neat 4/4 disco rock beat. THIS is the guitar album they have been banging on about for a decade. Huge riff. Some Real Thingish slide guitar choruses. Is this one of Bono’s God songs? Could definitely be about a woman (very good at that trope now, Bono.) “Only love can leave such a scar.” This is incredibly aptly titled, clever U2. Stadium ready “You and I will make a fire!” This will be a single.

Moment of Surrender

A downtempo, Eno-heavy gospel thing, a soul ballad built on a heavy bass figure and prominent, processed drums. Ok, so everything is on fire (“We’ll set ourselves on fire.”) Right, U2 own this Ohoh oh ooh OOHHHH thing, I got it. “I’ve been down every dark road”, I love it when Bono gets existential, this is my favourite Bono mode. Then he’s on his knees in a revery in the street, “I did not notice them, they did not notice me” perhaps the only time Bono has vocalised a desire for anonymity. “ATM machine”. Well, we all call them that.

Unknown Caller

Birds?? A Morroccan drone. Guitar figure sounds a lot like… Walk On? (AGAST I AM. Still sounds pretty great.) Is this about someone getting mugged? Some kind of tech nightmare, “you know your password, key it in.” Something about making it out alive. “3:33 in the morning and the numbers dropped off the clockface” (here I have double underlined, LOVE THIS. I am glad Bono uses concrete imagery.) Urgent sounding church organ, a horn section (whoa.) First-ever instance of double tracked lead vocals. Double the Bono! (Again I have underlined LOVE THIS.) “Escape yourself and gravity.”

(I am trying very hard to not stare too long or obviously at the photos in the press pack, which is hard because U2 look very handsome in them, especially Adam “Silverfox” Clayton. Edge looks in one like he might punch the photographer. Edge is very good looking. Bono, it is Edge who has a beard. And for God’s sake GET SOME NEW GLASSES. Or a new stylist. Or are you dressing yourself? Stop doing that. I am thinking of starting you a PayPal account.)

I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight

Awesome in spite of immensely stupid title. Bono hits crazy high notes in chorus (see what he did there?) Is this song addressed to anyone in particular? A party girl who longs for a quiet life, but we want her to perform, part of us wants her to go crazy! She’s a rainbow! Leave her alone. A Beatlesque guitar figure, building a very sweet, pop melody and into a rousing “Baby, baby, baby” chorus (love when Bono says ‘baby’ without being ironic.) Will absolutely kill live, “I think I’ll go crazy if I don’t go crazy tonight!” Stomping again. Good good.

Get On Your Boots

Here’s the Elvis Costello song. This is so damn catchy. The tried and tested U2 trick of a lead single not really indicative of the rest of the album. Still love that glam rock riff.

Stand Up Comedy

Dreading this, the worst of the superbad titles. Then, huge Led Zepplin riff, into Stone Roses groove. Most Achtung-like track, big celebratory rock song, amazingly good. We’re at a peace rally. “Stand up for your love!” A big crunchy bass line and McCartney-infused melodies. “Stand up to rock stars!” A pattern emerges: the worse the title, the better the song.

FEZ-Being Born

Sounds like a crowded marketplace, phones are ringing. Recycles ‘Boots’ “let me in the sound!”, underwater. Eno all over. Flat out, exceedingly weird. EXCELLENT (double underlined.) Blips and noise, Passengers return. OK! New song. A militaristic shuffle propels uptempo rock. No discernible hook but instead weaves a sound, layers of keyboard and chiming notes. Many voiced chorus. ENO (circled, underlined.) Totally out there.

White as Snow

Piano playing a lullaby. Spare, Johnny Cash guitar. This is what the Wanderer might have been like had he recorded it. Intro sounds like the Necks. I deeply love this. Bono does Nick Cave. A murder ballad, “my brother and I would drive for hours.” “The water was icy, the road refuses strangers.” “They were hunting in the woods.” Hypnotically slow narration. I can see this rapidly becoming one of my favourite ever U2 songs. Like nothing they’ve ever done. Please make a bare-bones country album one day.

Breathe

Wacky time signature, 16/9? Band and Bono come crashing in, Bono is trying to out-Dylan Dylan with free-form rapid fire choruses (“A cockatoo!” WHAT.) Time straightens out into massively catchy 3/4 chorus (“Walk out, into the street/ See your heart, see my heart out”). Huge guitar line, Achtung Baby x Joshua Tree. Strings and piano join, Bono reaching his upper register in an unabashedly uplifting chorus up there with U2’s best melodies. I wish this would go forever. I can see Bono belting this with his face up to the sky and that beatific grin, as 60,000 people join in. Crazy if this isn’t a single.

Cedars of Lebanon

Bono is in deep-talking sexy mode, like Velvet Dress (actually this is my favourite Bono mode.) Bluesy keys and guitar build a very sombre mood, this album is ending on a heavy, downbeat note as the best U2 albums always have (even heavier than Wake Up Dead Man/Love is Blindness which are equally a little like being hit in the head with a shovel.) A war correspondent recalls a litany of shit and his now disjointed senses, but “the shitty world sometimes produces a rose” bringing small note of stubborn optimism. Bono neatly slays the entire profession of journalism: “the best of us are masters of compression.” Yikes. Definitively proves “crap title equals killer track” rule.

In conclusion:

I’m dying to hear this album again. And again many times over. Definitely U2’s most challenging record, with the band hitting previously unheard of straps. Bono especially sounds far better than he has over the last decade, or longer, and never sounds like he’s pushing to hit notes he can’t reach, instead totally flying.

In closing: Thankyou U2, for not sucking. I will not be ending our relationship on Facebook.

this is most certainly the best review i've read yet... and love the "crap title equals killer track" line.

there are some shitty song titles on this album, but if the song is good, who gives a crap? u2's best work usually revolves around crappy, way too long for a song title song titles.

^ The guy who wrote that review is definitely NOT a professional, he's style of writing sucks, seriously. It's mostly positive, nevertheless, I don't agree with his opinion on the song titles (except for Crazy Tonight), and he has surely some wrong lyrics in there.

Actually, I'm relieved to see a review that wasn't written by an obviously U2-illiterate beat reporter and/or something mangled by a Google translation tool. The author of this piece (who, by the way, is probably a woman) clearly IS a professional and has given us one of the few well written reviews we've had so far. She/he is right that the previous two albums were a bit of a drag (also right that many of the titles on this new one are awful), so it makes me hopeful that she/he is not some pushover and that the positive verdict actually means something for once.

I'm not doubting the positive verdict, I'm doubting the form of that piece. I don't care if it's a guy or a woman who wrote it, it's just not a very well written piece. There are several "fan moments" there that make the whole piece look quite unprofessional.

I agree about the bad online translations, though.

I'm more excited by most of the other reviews, especially the ones from the media. But that latest one here is also very positive. I don't agree with the "crappy titles" thing, I think most titles are fine, the only title I really don't like is Crazy Tonight, but what's a title if the song is great.

Only review to actually get me mildly excited about the album. Great stuff.

Most of the reviews have got me fairly excited though this one is by far my favourite, I agree with his views on the past albums which make me trust his views a little more.
I'm already unbelievably excited anyway though.

U2 have had a song called "North Star" for a while, which was compared to a Cash like song. Did this become "White As Snow"?

I'm not doubting the positive verdict, I'm doubting the form of that piece. I don't care if it's a guy or a woman who wrote it, it's just not a very well written piece. There are several "fan moments" there that make the whole piece look quite unprofessional.

He/she transcribed his/her notes from the listening party word-for-word. I actually like this much better because its a true, in-the-moment experience. It doesn't allow for expectations/outside baggage to affect the review in any way. Therefore, it is probably the most honest review we will see from anyone other than ourselves.

Do you really want "professional" reviews regarding the new album? Those are the types of reviews that are usually mind-numbingly frustrating to read and ultimately provide no useful information to fans.

^ Yes, I appreciate fan reviews a lot, I was just a little annoyed by some of the comments the writer made. But overall, I prefer fan reviews to media reviews, because fan really know a thing or two about their band, while most journalists don't really care.

^ Yes, I appreciate fan reviews a lot, I was just a little annoyed by some of the comments the writer made. But overall, I prefer fan reviews to media reviews, because fan really know a thing or two about their band, while most journalists don't really care.

Yeah, that makes sense. I still think that the only reviews that are even remotely trustworthy are ones that have some criticism mixed in--at least in reference to previous works. Even if you like ATYCLB (which I love) and HTDAAB (U2's worst album IMO), its a great sign that someone who hated both was blown away by NLOTH (I'm not even sure if I'm referencing the same review anymore). And reviewers can trash Bono as a person, the album artwork, and titles all they want--the more the merrier--if they still are impressed by the music. That's a much better sign than from someone who thinks Bono is a saint and loves everything they've ever done. (And this is coming from someone who loves pretty much everything they've ever done).

There are a lot of U2-haters out there, especially among music journalism elite. So if they begrudgingly give their nods of approval, we may well be in for something special.

She's a blogger, she didn't write it for a professional magazine or newspaper, she wrote it for her own personal blog. Plus anybody who names their blog after a Simpsons's reference is awesome in my book.

U2 have had a song called "North Star" for a while, which was compared to a Cash like song. Did this become "White As Snow"?

From these reviews its pretty plain that this is the new title for "Winter", which seems to be from these sessions.

The author clearly was aware of the lack of quality in writing and does so much as says so with this...

"In due time I will collect my thoughts for a real review closer to the release date, for now I’ll just transcribe my notes: "

It's just her notes for heaven's sake! Why so quick to criticize? Just be thankful that she was willing to share them.

The author clearly was aware of the lack of quality in writing and does so much as says so with this...

"In due time I will collect my thoughts for a real review closer to the release date, for now I’ll just transcribe my notes: "

It's just her notes for heaven's sake! Why so quick to criticize? Just be thankful that she was willing to share them.

indeedy,
and if you scroll to the bottom of the blog, and click, you'll find yourself at her more "professional" page. Where she had this to say:

"We were treated to a press listening of the new U2 album yesterday in Sydney, a move geared not towards in-depth review coverage, but rather highly emotional blathering, such as this. It’s all about generating buzz, and to get us all talking about No Line On The Horizon over the next month to the point of gibberish. The posting of this entry being proof of U2’s terrifying powers of mind control.

It’s a really good album which sees U2 referencing their 90s experimentalism with a heavily Eno-influenced sound, massively percussive with big, glammy, hard rock riffs. It’s also really loud. I’m sure someone will do a Death Magnetic comparative chart when the time comes.

Meanwhile Pitchfork has posted the leaked version of Get On Your Shirt Boots.

I’m so relieved we can all put the last decade of Hallmark sentimentality behind us."

Elmo Keep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom