NLOTH Reviews Pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said before, I still think it was him. I don't think Elvis is that stupid. It went horribly wrong so soon after he started posting that they had to save face somehow.

You've got to be kidding...

Not that I want to bring this whole thing up again, but seriously, did you read some of his posts?

it was a scam from day one, end of story...

Yeah. I don't begrudge Walt his epic review, I just can't hang on for the ride much longer...
:sad:

Last edited:
What exactly was the comment fake Edge made?

it was a guy named "jick" who had been around since i started reading WIRE back in 1996 and he was a total d-bag. and very, very good at taunting other posters.

i think "jick" ripped on the riffs for Vertigo, something about them not having any real texture, and FakeEdge went off and the line i remember was, "do you really think i give a fig about what you think?"

but i'm sure someone can post it.

i actually thought it was Real Edge for a bit. if not, that person did quite a good job of faking at certain points.

No Line - best opener since Zoo. The chorus is really a hushed version of the verse until the last 30 seconds when the song erupts into a punk rock death chant. Sonically brilliant, like an Eno junkyard full of space age trinkets. Fast, yet slow, yet fast. Ending sounds like of all bands, pixies, yes, pixies, madness.

Magnificent - more familiar territory here with some brilliant oh oh's that sound like a choir of Bonos and Edges, very lemon in parts but easier to swallow. Huge lush ending that will bring stadiums of peole to tears. Will be big big single. Anthem etc

Moment of surrender - softer moment after the hugenrss of the first two songs. Not as sonic but has a weird vibe. Will require further listening but sounds promising.

Unknown caller - Bono at his existensial best. Best lyrics since the fly and a guitar break that had every hair on my body stand on edge. You can really hear Eno at work here, sounds like it was written in space. Glorious madness, and an ending that sounds like Bono as a wolf, yelping his way to the end of the world. Drool.

Crazy - sounds a bit weak next to UC but a glorious I songs. Reminds me of something from the brill building days in the golden age of pop. Great lyrics, will be a huge single. Happiest song since BD

Boots - weakest track, why first single?

Stand Up - huge, huge and not in a contrived way. Sounds like a war march and then flips it all upside down in the chorus. Bono in self deprecating mode, I'm not a lover or a fighter, failed at both he sings over the biggest edge riff ever. Pure anarchy.

Fez - a nice break. A definite ZooTv feel to it, sounds harrowing and claustrophobic on parts but then spreads it wings like a sonic eagle. 2 songs in one, will tale a few listens but ends lime a funeral march, very gloomy.

White - another eerie moment when the guitars seem to melt into orchestrations only to burst out again. Bono sounds creepy on places, come get me ghosts he sings (I think) over a johnny cash like aocalyptoc ballad. Very depressing second half so far. Bono sounds like a character, like macphisto on his death bed. Very surreal, gosh, this is cool.

Breathe - save the best til last. One of the most uplifting choruses I can remember. Breaks the recent gloom in a profound way. Just a testament to how cohesive this album feels, like a musical journey, ha! I'm serious though.

Lebanon - back to the darkness with glimpses of light. Like the end of the horizon is just another beginning. So many profound lines, where did this Bonp go?

So after 1 listen, I couldn't be more excited to own this darn thing. Quote a gloomy album but sums u the times beautifully...

Oh, so it was jick's fault :lol:

I just remember signing on one day, and Elvis had posted an apology that Edge was fake, and there were a billion posts with people bitching and moaning that they had been strung along, etc. A sad day.

I assume Walt is animating his review. Should be good. Seeing Mickey Mouse chained to a horse and set on fire will be a bit disturbing though (or whatever that supposed lyric was).

I don't know where to draw the LINE with this U2 obsession.

Its actually not as bad for me right now as it was back during those heady days between 2002-2005. I practically knew what U2 was doing every day, and knew about every single bootleg that was being released and about every single official piece of merchandise being released.

Since U2-18 my level of following them went way down. I started to come back here only a few weeks before GOYB came out. When people were referring to the Beach Clips I was so confused because I thought people were talking about the '06 Beach Clips. :ohmy:

I also missed out on the fact that U2 re-released a bunch of their albums. Only went to the store a few days ago and saw the deluxe editions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom