Edge's Vertigo guitar playing is Overrated...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So well put Edge...

as a guitar player myself, I totally can understand where Edge is coming from with what he said about the amount of time involved with making vertigo. Whilst it may appear simple and derivative to Jick, even the most simple things can take ages to sound right. And seriously if it were 'that' simple, then every band out there would be sounding like U2. The Edge has a unique guitar sound and I dont know how many of my friends who are accomplished musicians and guitarists respect and admire his style, it dosnt matter where it comes from or how many licks are involved, as long as it sounds good (I totally think Vertigo sounds amazing) is the main thing. And by the way some of the best songs ever written are simple chord progressions or are built around power chords....

anyway maybe take a little time out Jick, before your next thread, there are a lot of passionate people in here and whilst I can appreciate that not everyone likes U2s music, but I do think that your initial post was inflamatory and not backed up by any relevant facts....

The Edge said:
Friend Jick,

I have been watching this conversation. You are seeking attention via the lit dynamite stick. I see it well. Terrorists use the same tactics to try to create chaos and mayhem. These fine people engage in peaceful and light hearted conversation. You make some show their teeth.
You can dislike U2's new single or say my playing is rubbish, do you think I really give a fig? I know what work went into the LP and Vertigo in particular. Layers of sounds, three hundred takes, If I borrow any "licks" they would be from the Clash or, at best the Ramones. U2 sprang from punk rock. We are still punk rock. We can play anything we want to play or..not play at all if we dont want to. My problem is this: Dont light the fuse of a bomb and then hand that bomb to my good friends and then walk off...stay around and see the results. Better yet...dont light that fuse, put the bomb in your pocket and walk off. I want you to be happy. If you cant, dont spread that disease called "hate" We've far too much that in this world today!

:applaud:

GO EDGE :up:

I can think of only one thing better than the Edge playing guitar and that's two of him playing off each other:cool:.........like Pete Townshend at Leeds (1970) trying to play along to his own echo off the back of the hall!!:yes:

But given that cloning of humans will never likely be made legal, I'll just have to imagine it!:rolleyes: :coocoo: :D

I just have to add a couple of things to Edge's response.

People who didn't give Pop a chance left, and if you want to leave you can too. Everyone bashed on Pop when it came out, but over the years the people who gave it a chance came to love it, and have realized that the album as a whole is solid from top to bottom, and not only that, but U2 brought the experience they had from Pop into ATYCLB and really innovated even more with their sound.

Secondly, if I was a guitar player and I had just spent 4 years of my life making an album which I felt was some of my best work and then have someone to try to crush my work based on a standalone single using technical words that no one really cares about-- what people do care about is how it actually sounds -- then I would be upset too.

You're also questioning the integrity of a guitar player who has been part of two albums (JT & AB) which continually make the top 5 to 10 best albums ever lists by music critics, and to think he doesn't know what hes doing either is implying that he's a fluke, or he's stupid.

And you're known to be a trouble maker, I think thats what irked Edge the most, if you're not a fan you really shouldn't be here, because Interference is made by U2 fans, for U2 fans.

"Wow, thanks for sticking with us
I know that it gets a bit tricky
Uh... 'cause we're restless
We're restless folks, aren't we The Edge
Looking for new sounds, new feelings, new colours, you know

If we... If it keeps us interested
Then its not going to be bullshit for you
What's spanish for bullshit?" - Bono, Popmart in Mexico City

Last edited:
i am in no way defending jick with what i am about to say. i have seen plenty of jick's posts. but then it occurs to me, has the edge? why the sudden singling out of jick? and why, WHY does he compare jick's posting style to terrorism?

that kind of comparison would have drawn flames from the posters a reprimand from a mod elsewhere on this board, not the cheers and applause it received here.

i'm just confused.
like joyfulgirl, i think need a drink.

bonosgirl84 said:
i am in no way defending jick with what i am about to say. i have seen plenty of jick's posts. but then it occurs to me, has the edge? why the sudden singling out of jick? and why, WHY does he compare jick's posting style to terrorism?

that kind of comparison would have drawn flames from the posters a reprimand from a mod elsewhere on this board, not the cheers and applause it received here.

i'm just confused.
like joyfulgirl, i think need a drink.

A majority of the people here like vertigo, but jick was trying to cause a big stink with the tone of his post... if people like Vertigo, then they like it, you don't have to tell us what type of music we like, and you don't have to tell Edge how he should play his music

bcrt2000 said:
"Wow, thanks for sticking with us
I know that it gets a bit tricky
Uh... 'cause we're restless
We're restless folks, aren't we The Edge
Looking for new sounds, new feelings, new colours, you know

If we... If it keeps us interested
Then its not going to be bullshit for you
What's spanish for bullshit?" - Bono, Popmart in Mexico City

:yes: :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.