NLOTH FULL ALBUM - Shamelessly Immediate Review Thread (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
is this the thread for the song. If so, love it. Love the tongue/ear line and love the way Bono sings it. Infinitely better than NLOTH2...:love:

This is the best "whole album" feel since.... hmm... Achtung? I love the way every track just makes sense where it is.

Amen to that.......The whole album feels like it was written from the beginning to the en in one session:drool::drool::drool::drool:

NLOTH 7/10
Magnificent 8/10
MOS 7/10
UC 7/10
IGCIIDGCT 9/10
GOYB 8/10
SUC 8/10
Fez/Being born 6/10
WAS 7/10
Breathe 7/10
COL 7/10

A very consistent album in terms of song quality but I felt some songs were pretty average if I am honest and sounded more like they would better fit in a Passengers II album. Still, overall a very decent album - better than HTDAAB but not as good as ATYCLB for me, and certainly better than Pop (in comparison to the more recent albums).

I still feel however the album hasn't been given a fair chance by me and will sound much better in non-compressed format when it is officially released, so you can expect my opinion to change.

My own current rankings of each album are as follows to support my comments:

1.AB
2.JT
3.ATYCLB
4.RAH
5.NLOTH
6 Zooropa
7.HTDAAB
8.TUF
9.War
10.Pop
11.Boy
12.October

This is just my opinion and I know other people will totally dissagree which they are totally entitled to.

LOL! i would just like to say that it's just my luck that this thing leaked literally 2 minutes after i shut my computer off last night.

LOL! i would just like to say that it's just my luck that this thing leaked literally 2 minutes after i shut my computer off last night.

I was thinking the exact same thing--when I saw the craziness this morning and went back and checked the time, I slapped my forehead like a cartoon character :wink:

2.5 listens in--sounds great so far.

I hate ratings :D

Still, I'd give it a try:

NLOTH 8/10
Magnificent 10/10
MOS 9/10
UC 7/10
IGCIIDGCT 6/10
GOYB 7/10
SUC 7/10
Fez/Being born 7/10
WAS 10/10
Breathe 7/10
COL 9/10

I give this album:

:up::up::up::up::up::heart::up::up::up::up::up::up:

It wa after midnight last night and I was just about to shut the laptop off and I thought ok, let me see if there are any interesting threads active right now.
And Lo and Behold, the LEAK was in full swing (sound kind of messy doesn't it?)

TO make a long story short, I was up till 3:30 in the morning listening over and over again.

Even though right now the brain is a little fuzzy after only four hours of sleep, I can definetely say WOW !! just Incredible.

This is the U2 I've been searching for for the past 8 years or so.

Oh and I can't believe they didn't release Magnificent as the first single. It is exactly what the name says it is !!

just finished listening for the third time last night, and it keeps getting better, by the way, Cedars of Lebanon badly ripped with a lot of hiss/noise or is it supposed to be like that?

IGCIIDGCT has a ABBA-theme, but I cant figure out from which song. Is it Dancing Queen?

This album is absolutely wonderful. MOS is tickling my ears right now. This is the one I've been waiting for...:applaud:

It is going to take so long to really absorb this whole thing...

NLOTH - 8/10 - I like both versions, but the 2nd version's guitar sound kinda got repetitive. I like that this is a little more dynamic and features vocals I can actually understand

Magnificent - 10/10 - self descriptive

Moment of Surrender - 8/10 - I had no idea what to expect with this song as I heard mixed things from reviews, but I was impressed by the vocals. Not enough guitar though.

Unknown Caller - 8/10 - the church organ feels out of place and some of the chanted lyrics could have gotten revised, but I love the guitar playing in this song

Crazy Tonight - 7/10 - didn't have high expectations and was impressed. Bono shouldn't bust out the falsetto anymore though if that's what it's gonna be

Get On Your Boots - 7/10 - don't see why many people are down on this song. It's the most rocking song on the album and is well-placed on the album.

Stand Up Comedy - 6/10 - was expecting much more. The u2.com video had a slightly different riff which sounded more interesting, and the fact that this song wasn't more bass-heavy to go with the riff kinda disappointed me.

Fez - Being Born - 5/10 - both parts meander and don't go anywhere. They're interesting to hear, but they just seem unfocused.

White as Snow - 6/10 - it's a nice ballad, but it's not as interesting or gripping as people seemed to indicate it would be.

Breathe - 6/10 - the Dylan vocals are probably the worst part of the song. I'd really like it otherwise.

Cedars of Lebanon - 4/10 - this song doesn't seem to offer much direction and isn't really all that interesting to listen to. Ending the album with this song seems to leave a sour taste.

Overall album rating = 6.8/10

The album is good. Its very dense, and lacking hooks, so will require many listens to get a good feel for. I wont be doing that until I get the actual CD, because the mp3s are distorted and just sound bad on a good stereo. Anyway, heard it a few times, right now I'd put the album somewhere in the middle of U2's work. Around 5th or 6th. AB, JT, Pop, and Unforgettable Fire seem safe in their current ranks of my favorites. Zooropa will probably stay 5th as well. Anyway, my 2 cents. Certainly better than Bomb, which I really disliked from the first listen and still do. I guess I'd put it at a tie for 6th with ATYCLB currently..

Really liking the album- its evident that U2 tried hard with this one, as there are a lot of layers and songs that take you in unexpected directions. Will probably get better with multiple listens, but time will tell. Don't like Stand Up Comedy tho, sounds like a bad Stone Roses-meets Oasis cover.

So far from listening

Cedars of Lebanon is great, my favorite so far

Unknown caller and Stand Up Comedy I do not like so far

NLOTH 2 I like better than NLOTH 1 :wink:

but good so far, way better than HTDAAB :applaud:

The bass in MOS remind me of the bass from North and South of the River. The way the bass tugs Magnificent's chords reminds me a lot of early pre-UF U2. Kind of nice.

i just found it on google's blog search blogsearch.google.com. just search for no line on the horizon 320. i got it from the first link that comes up.

the 320 kbps must be a transcode from this one, so far this has been the only leak (except from the one from napster but was pulled of before anyone noticed hehe).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom