NLOTH FULL ALBUM - Shamelessly Immediate Review Thread (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really waiting to hear what they'd do with that fantastic riff but it's a shame it's not on the album.

Anyway, my immediate impressions? The band have thrown off their shackles and done what few bands have managed to do and turn around a streak of crap albums and release a belter. It's good to hear them actually pushing themselves to their potential again.

Magnificent, Unknown Caller, Breathe and Fez stand out to me.

I wrote this email to a friend:

i tried to avoid specifics, this is my general impressions:

it's fucking amazing and still growing on me. even the seemingly dumb one (from the 30 second clips) is emerging well with a few listens. and there are some truly brilliant lyrics, a few bonoisms that you just have to roll your eyes at but he gets away with it because the music is so brilliant you hardly notice, and even some non-earnest, self-mocking, playful lyrics. the songs are narrative, they are beautiful in lyrics and music, i even like goyb better in context, though it is one of my least favorite on the album. the music is original, atmospheric, rocking in some places, gives me chills in others. It ends very, very well, very abruptly.

that is my unabashedly gushing review with 2 full listens, now i'm replaying favorites. obviously i will let it age, but the music is creative and wonderful, the lyrics...i didn't know bono had these lyrics in him. and it is an album that after both listens left me feeling like i'd been taken on an emotional ride and left me exhausted.

some vague specifics:
one song's lyrics in particular are just perfect, narrative, full of layered insights and brilliant imagery (Cedars)
there's 2-3 that are gonna be heartlands/acrobats and we'll probably never hear them live but we'd weep if we did. (MOS, WAS, Fez)
one potentially dumb one isn't at all, another is not as dumb as I thought it would be and is still growing on me. (Crazy Tonight, Stand Up)
the beginning and end are phenomenal, the middle is a little bit weaker.

---
My other big thought from a chat with another fan is that it makes me appreciate atyclb/htdaab more:

well, they also needed to put out that safe album to do this one, i thinkthen needed to regret being too safe, too constricted
i think that produced the atmosphere that birthed nloth
----

Anyway, I am very, very pleased with the album.

UNKOWN CALLER :heart::heart::heart:
Ilove it
i go crazy

:love::love::love:
what a nice shot.
it will be the best live song ever. ever ever ever ever

caller

I've had one full listen and then started flicking around for 2nd and 3rd listens on a couple of tracks. But so far:

Fez-Being Born is fricken awesome
Magnificent is....magnificent
Crazy Tonight is definitely single-worthy
Moment of Surrender is excellent and moody - but not sure how this will work live

I'm not sure what to make of Unknown Caller. It's kinda messy but may be a grower.

Overall a great first impression but I have a feeling that the 2nd half of the album is a little weaker than the first half.

this album is unbelievable!! i can't figure out how they pulled it out... moment of surrender the new one??? i can see why!!

but what is crazy all about!!?? it nearly made me blush it's.. errr.. i dunno :|

how good does boots fit in!!! didnt see that coming!!

mega happy, this has delivered what i wanted :lol:

I've had one full listen and then started flicking around for 2nd and 3rd listens on a couple of tracks. But so far:

Fez-Being Born is fricken awesome
Magnificent is....magnificent
Crazy Tonight is definitely single-worthy
Moment of Surrender is excellent and moody - but not sure how this will work live

I'm not sure what to make of Unknown Caller. It's kinda messy but may be a grower.

Overall a great first impression but I have a feeling that the 2nd half of the album is a little weaker than the first half.

Remember; messy and complicated are different things. Give them time! :)

Well this is a shock for me here in the UK - I had one sneaky peek in these forums before I went to bed last night and still no leak...

I log in this morning and wham bam...can't believe it!!!

Now I am stuck in the office all day - I won't be able to listen to the album for at least 10 hours....how depressing:sad:

Well, at least I have something to look forward to:wink:

Today's going to be painful though....

you'll make it, buddy -- it's worth the wait..

I'm only at Magnificent now thru headphones, it's late at night here, but I want to play it loud into the street - it's been a long long time since I've had that teenage urge to share my music with the rest of the world knowing full well that they will thank me for it.

this album is unbelievable!! i can't figure out how they pulled it out... moment of surrender the new one??? i can see why!!

but what is crazy all about!!?? it nearly made me blush it's.. errr.. i dunno :|

how good does boots fit in!!! didnt see that coming!!

mega happy, this has delivered what i wanted :lol:

:applaud:

oh my god!! fez being born.... ive waited ages for something to hit me like the unforgettable fire!!!!! thru headphones its made me break out into goosebumps!!

finally they've done it!!!!:drool:

well fuck, this thing has kept me up long enough....and I haven't even listened yet.....I'm off to bed, gotta get up in 4 hours :wave:

I can't believe there's so little love for Stand Up Comedy.
It's a 10/10 rocker and as much as I looove "Boots" this song would be an amazing first single IMO, like The Fly and Discotheque.
In a WTF, is this U2? kind of way...

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

and for this little "Holy Joe"-ish bit near the end :bow::bow:
I didn't expect to hear something like that :hyper:

I can't believe there's so little love for Stand Up Comedy.
It's a 10/10 rocker and as much as I looove "Boots" this song would be an amazing first single IMO, like The Fly and Discotheque.
In a WTF, is this U2? kind of way...

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

and for this little "Holy Joe"-ish bit near the end :bow::bow:
I didn't expect to hear something like that :hyper:

I totally agree with you. It was the first song I posted about last night after hearing the album. From the 45 second clip alone the song had been stuck in my head for days. I love it. :up:

Hey, just wanted to let you all know that the link is now dead in the request thread. Any chance one of you could pop over there and send a new link to those us who were asleep during all the excitement?

Please? Thanks!

I totally agree with you. It was the first song I posted about last night after hearing the album. From the 45 second clip alone the song had been stuck in my head for days. I love it. :up:

I love Stand Up Comedy, it's position on the album is perfect, after Get On Your Boots dances its little heart out along comes Stand Up Comedy and lures the little fella down a back alley and proceeds to mug the living hell outta it, all the while making Boots enjoy every single moment of it, and for that the song makes me appreciate Boots just a little bit more :D

NLOTH: Infinitely better than the alternative version, I really like it :)
Magnificent: This album could be just this song on repeat and it'd be perfect :drool:
Moment of Surrender: The music is absolutely beautiful, not sure about B's vocals yet but beautiful beautiful music

I downloaded this last night but only listened to Magnificent. Now I'm listening to the whole damn thing.

First Impression

NLOTH 9/10
MAGNIFICENT 8/10
MOS 10/10 -> UNBELIEVABLE VOCALS
UC 8/10
IGCIIDGCT 7/10
GOYB 3/10
SUC 3/10 -> SOUNDS FAR TOO MUCH LIKE BULLET
FEZ/BEING BORN 9/10
WAS 10/10
BREATHE 8/10
COL 9/10

just Got it!!!! only on NLOTH so far....the bridge is a lot better than the mix that was out already.

Stand Up is a groover. We will see about Fez/Being Born. I love experimental songs so hopefully this is a grower.

First Impression

NLOTH 9/10
MAGNIFICENT 8/10
MOS 10/10 -> UNBELIEVABLE VOCALS
UC 8/10
IGCIIDGCT 7/10
GOYB 3/10
SUC 3/10 -> SOUNDS FAR TOO MUCH LIKE BULLET
FEZ/BEING BORN 9/10
WAS 10/10
BREATHE 8/10
COL 9/10