NLOTH FULL ALBUM - Shamelessly Immediate Review Thread (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just about burn it and listen for the first time in the car..

Have a question. May seem a bit boring, but is there any swearing in the album ? The kids will be in the car and I don't want them to hear Bono cussing all over the place :lol:

Have a question. May seem a bit boring, but is there any swearing in the album ? The kids will be in the car and I don't want them to hear Bono cussing all over the place :lol:

Bono say's, "this shitty world sometimes produces a rose" or something like that in Cedars. That's it.

As much I as I enjoy U2 frolicking on ATYCLB and HTDAAB...I have to think some of the criticism was valid after hearing this.

I noticed that the Pop album cover is your avatar. It's just like Pop.
Skip the last (brilliant) song around the little ones.

Well this is a shock for me here in the UK - I had one sneaky peek in these forums before I went to bed last night and still no leak...

I log in this morning and wham bam...can't believe it!!!

Now I am stuck in the office all day - I won't be able to listen to the album for at least 10 hours....how depressing:sad:

Well, at least I have something to look forward to:wink:

Today's going to be painful though....

No Line On The Horizon

What a great album, U2 have pulled out another trick.. Bono and Edge are actually on fire

But really what is the most amazing thing is the production.. So much better than the previous two albums

Woo Hoo :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Just listened to the album, without doubt the best they have done since Pop at least probably the best album since Achtung Baby. The quality is there throughout the album, some songs are better than others, but nothing is really weak.
ATYCLB and HTDAAB had some good tunes, but this is a much better album. I can see why some people have mentioned how this album could have been what Zooropa or Pop could have sounded like.
The only disappointment is that I think Bono holds back on Magnificent in the chorus, not sure if that was purposeful, maybe they thought people would expect him to have a soaring vocal so they went against that. I still expect him to belt out the chorus when they play that live though.
Stand Up Comedy is much better than I thought and Moment of Surrender and White As Snow are great.

Just listened to the album, without doubt the best they have done since Pop at least probably the best album since Achtung Baby. The quality is there throughout the album, some songs are better than others, but nothing is really weak.
ATYCLB and HTDAAB had some good tunes, but this is a much better album. I can see why some people have mentioned how this album could have been what Zooropa or Pop could have sounded like.
The only disappointment is that I think Bono holds back on Magnificent in the chorus, not sure if that was purposeful, maybe they thought people would expect him to have a soaring vocal so they went against that. I still expect him to belt out the chorus when they play that live though.
Stand Up Comedy is much better than I thought and Moment of Surrender and White As Snow are great.

:applaud:

This is a masterpiece, from the greatest band in the world, for modern times. Something from each era for all of us, whenever we jumped on the U2 bandwagon, with a 2009 twist... :bow:

White as Snow seems so personal with Bono...I have stated what it means to me...is this Bono first person...second...third? He has a brother right?

I'd go with the Miley or Britney. Safe from swearing, safe from talking about anything substantial.

It's so gorgeous...
I can't stop listening to it...
NLOTH sounds so great after Cedars of Lebanon :love:
Superb album

Ok I decided not to go to work and listen to the album instead :lol:

This is my FIRST IMPRESSION. I just finished my first listen. This is therefore by no means a proper review, but I thought I'd write my immediate feelings for posterity. I have also not read any of the reviews on this thread so no idea what the general feeling is.

Overall impressions:
-Wow this is a DENSE album. I can't say anything definitive about it, I need more time to dig in for sure.
-To me there is a strong unifying 'feel' to this album. There is a specific sound and atmosphere all the way through and, at least on first listen, it seems very cohesive to me.
-There are some familiar sounds and melodies for sure, but right away it sounds quite different to me. It really does not sound like any other U2 albums at all. This is very good :up:
-I get a bit of a 'weird' feeling out of it, not sure how to describe, what it means, of if it's positive or negative. Time will tell, but it sounds quite deep and slightly strange to me. This is definetely not a feeling I got on first listen of the last 2 albums (also the only 'new' U2 albums I got to discover since I became a fan in 1997).

Songs: (again, this is after ONE listen)
-Immediate stand-outs: Magnificient and Crazy Tonight :up::up:. You can tell why these are the next singles.
-Not so sure, but I could change my mind: Stand Up and Moment of Surrender. MOS is the one song that I am a bit taken aback by, and possibly dissapointed with. It could be because I was expecting something else, but I'm really not sure about the melody and Bono's way of signing, particularly in the chorus :reject: Really like the music though. But I'm not passing a final judgment or anything, this is just my gut feeling and I'd be happy to change my mind,
-Quite positive impression but need more listens to have a clear idea: all the other songs, can't rank them or anything after only once. In fact they all sound equally good to me, in different ways.

Ok, next listen I'm going to take a walk and listen on my iPod :D

Wow, this is so much heavier, and much more substantial than the last 2 discs.

First impressions are that modern U2 production styles (loud vocals, suer-clean gitars) are present, but they have returned to a much more 90's place stylistically.

Im in love with Unknown Caller, Magnificent, Breathe and Crazy Tonight

Wow, this is so much heavier, and much more substantial than the last 2 discs.

First impressions are that modern U2 production styles (loud vocals, suer-clean gitars) are present, but they have returned to a much more 90's place stylistically.

Im in love with Unknown Caller, Magnificent, Breathe and Crazy Tonight

:up:

omg.gif

The wait is over! I want them to tour already! It's a great album, and I can tell there is a lot more to discover than I can even process in 1 night, so I'm going to bed soon and listen to it all day tomorrow :hyper: (today really lol)

I actually think White As Snow could be the best song on this album, maybe even one of their best ever and I am usually not a big fan of their slower songs like Grace, Wake Up Dead Man etc.

I went on a three hour walk listening to the album, and when I got back I read THIS WHOLE THREAD! LOL!

This album is so amazing.... I'm afraid that I can't trust myself.... I get so enthusiastic, but right now I feel like it's CLEARLY their best album.... We'll see how I feel in a few days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom