Next Album Rumours Thread II - Songs of Ass Scent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I gotta say the video on that interview link - Pretty good stuff. But "easy like an ice cream sundae" sounds like a line that bono would have written that we would all be shitting on around here. :wink:

I do wonder if the stuff in the "vault" is of such a poor state of finished-ness that the band would never release them? Or if they're hanging on to the better stuff to re-work for other albums - whether ideas make it or not, I'm sure some songs get stuck in a never-ending cycle of not being good enough to make an album, but good enough they don't just want to toss it away as a b-side or something.

Fans like us would clearly love to hear the alternate Pop demos and mixes, but maybe the band just won't want to release that sort of thing as they see it as being private? Or maybe they don't know there's a genuine interest in that stuff? Or maybe they don't know how to do it - they'll want to make some money from it but know they can't charge a lot?

Who knows. And I'm sure all of this is complicated by the usual band egos/personalities.

I keep going back to the fact that with today's technology and how people listen to music, there's never been an easier way for a band to just release stuff to the fans and charge what they want for it.

Stuff in the vault is probably being saved for future material though one has to question if they have anything worthwhile left considering they had to borrow riffs and do callbacks. Loved POP and lot of it was carried over from Achtung so I don’t begrudge them sitting on stuff. For U2, unreleased material is unreleased for a reason and that is b/c it’s not that great, alah Native Son

I do wonder if the stuff in the "vault" is of such a poor state of finished-ness that the band would never release them? Or if they're hanging on to the better stuff to re-work for other albums - whether ideas make it or not, I'm sure some songs get stuck in a never-ending cycle of not being good enough to make an album, but good enough they don't just want to toss it away as a b-side or something.

Fans like us would clearly love to hear the alternate Pop demos and mixes, but maybe the band just won't want to release that sort of thing as they see it as being private? Or maybe they don't know there's a genuine interest in that stuff? Or maybe they don't know how to do it - they'll want to make some money from it but know they can't charge a lot?

Who knows. And I'm sure all of this is complicated by the usual band egos/personalities.

I keep going back to the fact that with today's technology and how people listen to music, there's never been an easier way for a band to just release stuff to the fans and charge what they want for it.

I suppose the state of "finished" depends on how you look at it. There's "finished" in terms of being a complete track... some music, a complete lyric and vocal, and maybe mixed and mastered to some extent. If writing songs comes easily enough for you, then it's probably not too hard to reach even that state of a song in a short period of time. Or at least something that you can use as a starting point for developing more as you go.

Then there's "finished" in terms of how the artist views whatever they created. And even then, songs will probably fall in the latter group once the artist determines they've done all they could with it and deem it "good enough" to put out there for the public to hear.

I think any big band out there is quite aware that there's people out there who would be interested in any material, be it demos or alternate mixes or "vault" songs no one's ever heard before. But like you hinted at, I suspect most bands or musicians would be really uncomfortable just putting out everything but the kitchen sink. For every "good" song someone completes, there's probably 3 or 4 that just aren't that great or might have a decent idea or two in them, but haven't really reached their potential (if any). And yeah, those could be ideas that develop later on or just get put to the side.

In my own experience, I tend to group songs I write into three groups... ones I'd rather die than ever play for people, ones that sound okay but don't quite make par or need further work, and ones that wouldn't kill me if other people heard. More often than not, they're in the first group. :lol: But I suspect most musicians develop the ones that have potential and usually end up releasing the ones that fall into the last group.

saying that there's a lack of rage in rock music is a vastly different thing than saying that in general "music has gotten very girly".

I really like "My Honest Face".

I think we have to look at Inhaler if it comes to new fresh music. U2 seems to get close to retirement. They have their own private lives now. Bono stil busy with Red, Adam has a little child to take care of, Larry always was the most private person and most of the time out of the picture. Looks like the 'experimental' Edge quit years ago...

I think we have to look at Inhaler if it comes to new fresh music. U2 seems to get close to retirement. They have their own private lives now. Bono stil busy with Red, Adam has a little child to take care of, Larry always was the most private person and most of the time out of the picture. Looks like the 'experimental' Edge quit years ago...

I went to see inhaler a month or so ago in Birmingham UK. Now I’m 33 and the friend I went with is in his early 40’s. going there I thought I would be by far the oldest there . New band 18-19 year old lads it’s going to be full of young people , from 16-20 .

Honestly now I’ve seen younger crowds at u2 gigs . I reckon I was one of the youngest there .

I’d love to know how they feel about that , it was a sell out in a 300 capacity venue.

The youngest people there were with their parents.

Felt strange for a new band just starting out

I finally decided to listen to Inhaler this weekend - My Honest Face and It Won’t Always Be Like This are fantastic.

I went to see inhaler a month or so ago in Birmingham UK. Now I’m 33 and the friend I went with is in his early 40’s. going there I thought I would be by far the oldest there . New band 18-19 year old lads it’s going to be full of young people , from 16-20 .

Honestly now I’ve seen younger crowds at u2 gigs . I reckon I was one of the youngest there .

I’d love to know how they feel about that , it was a sell out in a 300 capacity venue.

That's because the place was likely filled with nerdy U2 fans

I suppose the state of "finished" depends on how you look at it. There's "finished" in terms of being a complete track... some music, a complete lyric and vocal, and maybe mixed and mastered to some extent. If writing songs comes easily enough for you, then it's probably not too hard to reach even that state of a song in a short period of time. Or at least something that you can use as a starting point for developing more as you go.

Then there's "finished" in terms of how the artist views whatever they created. And even then, songs will probably fall in the latter group once the artist determines they've done all they could with it and deem it "good enough" to put out there for the public to hear.

I think any big band out there is quite aware that there's people out there who would be interested in any material, be it demos or alternate mixes or "vault" songs no one's ever heard before. But like you hinted at, I suspect most bands or musicians would be really uncomfortable just putting out everything but the kitchen sink. For every "good" song someone completes, there's probably 3 or 4 that just aren't that great or might have a decent idea or two in them, but haven't really reached their potential (if any). And yeah, those could be ideas that develop later on or just get put to the side.

And with U2, there's the added factor that the band isn't always the best judge of their own work. For all we know, there's a full album or three of wonderful songs that are on the shelf because the band didn't think they fit a record's "theme," or were shelved in favour of a more poppy-sounding would-be "big hit"

I finally decided to listen to Inhaler this weekend - My Honest Face and It Won’t Always Be Like This are fantastic.

I wonder if he has any acting chops. He could certainly pull off a younger Bono in a U2 flick. Although, his career seems to be hell bent on being dad but not being dad.

Last edited:
If he wanted to go down that road, they could easily play up the U2 connection. He's trying to do the opposite.

That said - he definitely "gets it." I saw them in DC last week and there was a line of fans looking to meet the band after the show. There was clearly a large U2 fan presence, and he took the time to talk to everyone there.

If he wanted to go down that road, they could easily play up the U2 connection. He's trying to do the opposite.

That said - he definitely "gets it." I saw them in DC last week and there was a line of fans looking to meet the band after the show. There was clearly a large U2 fan presence, and he took the time to talk to everyone there.

I just started following them on Instagram. I wish I knew they were playing in Brooklyn. Would have totally went.

That's what I thought when I was at the Paradiso last september. There werd a lot of 40+ people. Also young people as well, but a minority...

They were in DC last week?! Shit. Where did they play?

I'm sure this is nothing album related but it's different from their normal content so... ? Either way, pumped to hear it coming from Dallas who is probably more reliable than any of the band members themselves! Lucky that they're still around touring AND making music, going to cherish every bit.

https://twitter.com/U2/status/1197357137371914240?s=20

U2 has a new single collaborating with AR Rahman. It’ll be available tonight.

Also, I guess Dallas told a bunch of people that the band is working on the new album and he thinks they’re going to love it. I’m still saying 2022 but interesting comments for sure.

Yeah wow, turns out that post was legit! New music tomorrow? Can’t wait.

https://www.u2songs.com/discography/u2_ahimsa_single

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom