LP 13 talk & Bono's haircut tracker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you see how productive some other artists are these days it does make me wonder what U2 think their legacy is going to be and how they're going to want to be remembered. If it's all about the music you'd have thought maybe they'd like to get more of it out there given their age and how the industry has changed over the last 20 years or so.

You really think quantity helps define a legacy?

You need to consider their body of work as a whole surely? They have two albums widely considered to be genuine classics, but I think its fair to say they've been somewhat stagnant in recent years. Obviously they've stayed together a lot longer than some other bands have done which gives a whole set of new problems, but instead of embracing new possibilities with digital distribution and perhaps being driven by the realisation they're ageing rock stars, they seem to be intent on chasing the dream of a number one single in a time where that doesn't really seem to matter to any of their peers. None of it seems to make sense.... it's almost like they don't have the balls to just retire or try something new and see what happens with the risk of failure. So instead they're doing nothing at all when it comes to finished product.

You need to consider their body of work as a whole surely? They have two albums widely considered to be genuine classics, but I think its fair to say they've been somewhat stagnant in recent years. Obviously they've stayed together a lot longer than some other bands have done which gives a whole set of new problems, but instead of embracing new possibilities with digital distribution and perhaps being driven by the realisation they're ageing rock stars, they seem to be intent on chasing the dream of a number one single in a time where that doesn't really seem to matter to any of their peers. None of it seems to make sense.... it's almost like they don't have the balls to just retire or try something new and see what happens with the risk of failure. So instead they're doing nothing at all when it comes to finished product.

They have 2 albums widely considered classics. They have NYD, SBS, BD, Pride, and Vertigo that are forever carved into music history. And they are considered one of the greatest live bands ever. I don't think quantity is going to effect their legacy.

They have 2 albums widely considered classics. They have NYD, SBS, BD, Pride, and Vertigo that are forever carved into music history. And they are considered one of the greatest live bands ever. I don't think quantity is going to effect their legacy.

You know what could though? Weight gains.

Sent from my 831C using U2 Interference mobile app

When songs like Beautiful Day and Vertigo are carved into music history, I fear for this idea of music history being an indicator of quality.

When songs like Beautiful Day and Vertigo are carved into music history, I fear for this idea of music history being an indicator of quality.

The notion that Vertigo is a song that's carved into music history is, frankly, laughable. Ten years on, its biggest legacy is probably that it featured on a, um, iPod commercial. Anyone who seriously thinks that could probably do with taking off their U2-tinted glasses every now and again.

You really think quantity helps define a legacy?

I would say no, it doesn't. Quality does. However, what about a drop in quantity (ouput) and quality (classic songs/albums) at the same time?

1980-1991 (11 years): 7 albums released:

Boy: One of the best debut albums ever. "I Will Follow" is a classic. The other songs are strong.

October: A weaker effort but good nonetheless. Unfortunately no classics.

War: A defining record for U2. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "New Year's Day" are classics.

The Unforgettable Fire: Pivotal record. "Pride" is a classic. I would argue so is "Bad" and a few others on here but they are not as well known to the general public.

The Joshua Tree: Their first Iconic album.
"Where The Streets Have No Name", "I Still Haven't Found", "With Or Without You": all classics. Almost everyone owns a copy of this album.

Rattle And Hum: The movie was panned by critics but the album contains "Desire", "Angel Of Harlem", and "All I Want Is You", all classics.

Achtung Baby: their second Iconic album. "One", "Mysterious Ways", "Until The End Of The World", all classics. Absolutely the biggest band in the world at that point, and were guaranteed a high place in the panthenon of rock gods at that point.

Ok so in 11 years, they had 2 iconic albums and at least 13 classic songs everyone knows.

Now let's look at 1993-2013 (20 years): 5 albums released.

Zooropa: Fans love it, was praised by critics at the time, but really was riding on the heels of the ZooTV tour. No classic songs (in terms of a wide acknowledgement).

Pop: fans love it, but no classics. The "Discotecque" video alone almost sank their career, in terms of turning people away from the album. The band itself pretty much disavows this record.

All That You Can't Leave Behind": the album that saved u2's career after the Popmart disaster. "Beautiful Day" is a classic, whether it's one's personal taste or not. This album returned U2 to their previous stature.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: "Vertigo" is a classic, largely due to the worldwide promotion of the ipod commercial.

No Line On The Horizon: some fans love it, some don't, but no classics and the general public couldn't have cared less. "Get On Your Boots" was perhaps their weakest first single ever.
However, the 360 was the highest grossing/most attended tour in history.

So, in that 20 year period, 2 classic tunes, one album that saved their legacy, but certainly not an Iconic album.

So.....:uhoh:

I would say no, it doesn't. Quality does. However, what about a drop in quantity (ouput) and quality (classic songs/albums) at the same time?

Boy: One of the best debut albums ever. "I Will Follow" is a classic. The other songs are strong.

War: A defining record for U2. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "New Year's Day" are classics.

The Unforgettable Fire: Pivotal record. "Pride" is a classic. I would argue so is "Bad" and a few others on here but they are not as well known to the general public.

"Where The Streets Have No Name", "I Still Haven't Found", "With Or Without You": all classics. Almost everyone owns a copy of this album.

Rattle And Hum: The movie was panned by critics but the album contains "Desire", "Angel Of Harlem", and "All I Want Is You", all classics.

Achtung Baby: their second Iconic album. "One", "Mysterious Ways", "Until The End Of The World", all classics. Absolutely the biggest band in the world at that point, and were guaranteed a high place in the panthenon of rock gods at that point.

Ok so in 11 years, they had 2 iconic albums and at least 13 classic songs everyone knows.

Zooropa: Fans love it, was praised by critics at the time, but really was riding on the heels of the ZooTV tour. No classic songs (in terms of a wide acknowledgement).

Pop: fans love it, but no classics. The "Discotecque" video alone almost sank their career, in terms of turning people away from the album. The band itself pretty much disavows this record.

All That You Can't Leave Behind": the album that saved u2's career after the Popmart disaster. "Beautiful Day" is a classic, whether it's one's personal taste or not. This album returned U2 to their previous stature.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: "Vertigo" is a classic, largely due to the worldwide promotion of the ipod commercial.

No Line On The Horizon: some fans love it, some don't, but no classics and the general public couldn't have cared less. "Get On Your Boots" was perhaps their weakest first single ever.

So, in that 20 year period, 2 classic tunes, one album that saved their legacy, but certainly not an Iconic album.

This is a classic post. Classic in the sense that it makes me nauseous from so much "objectivity".

I have to disagree with those who won't acknowledge that Vertigo was a positive influence on the band's legacy. It was a big song for them whether you like it or not.

This is pretty right on(although I would say October has Gloria) but I don't think it says anything about their long term legacy. Most bands would give their first born for a career like that. Only 3 albums are minus a classic, and only one in their late career.

The notion that Vertigo is a song that's carved into music history is, frankly, laughable. Ten years on, its biggest legacy is probably that it featured on a, um, iPod commercial. Anyone who seriously thinks that could probably do with taking off their U2-tinted glasses every now and again.

Once again you're letting your own tastes cloud your ability to gauge the general public.

Once again you're letting your own tastes cloud your ability to gauge the general public.

Yep and it goes both ways. Although Pop never leaves my top 3 albums of all time, you'll never see me suggest that it was a positive moment in the band's legacy (from a general public perspective).

Yep and it goes both ways. Although Pop never leaves my top 3 albums of all time, you'll never see me suggest that it was a positive moment in the band's legacy (from a general public perspective).

Exactly. You won't catch me putting Vertigo in any of my playlists, but I know what it did for their career and I know it still gets play and everyone and their mother sings along with it.

Exactly. You won't catch me putting Vertigo in any of my playlists, but I know what it did for their career and I know it still gets play and everyone and their mother sings along with it.

Also, if you were to ask the general public what was the last U2 song released that they remember, most would probably say Vertigo.
It's not a deep and meaningful song by any stretch of the imagination, but it gets people rocking the hell out.

There's no way U2 themselves aren't aware of some form of the output/quality/albums/classic songs list I suggested....hell, they've probably been staring at something like that for years.

Which is why I think (hope) they are going to get this next one "right"....meaning, it will be quality. It obviously is a different era in the music buisness/world conciousness/attention span, so to suggest that they'll have an impact with a new song like one of the classics did is a long shot.
However, it just needs to be strong and not pandering for a "hit".
None of their classics are pandering, even if they are hugely popular with the general public.

There's no way U2 themselves aren't aware of some form of the output/quality/albums/classic songs list I suggested....hell, they've probably been staring at something like that for years.

Which is why I think (hope) they are going to get this next one "right"....meaning, it will be quality. It obviously is a different era in the music buisness/world conciousness/attention span, so to suggest that they'll have an impact with a new song like one of the classics did is a long shot.

However, it just needs to be strong and not pandering for a "hit".

None of their classics are pandering, even if they are hugely popular with the general public.

I think they are in the same place they were after Pop. Zooropa was their first album that didn't have a classic, but it was riding a wave and it got a lot of critical acclaim. Then they released Pop which failed to have a classic, and it kinda fucked with their heads. Well NLOTH puts them right back in that mind space. So I think we're going to see a reinvention, though subtle, and a focus on strong songs. I think this is what Edge was referring to about the acoustic guitar comment earlier this year.

From the latest "Off The Record" over at @U2... is this all guesswork, as I've not heard any rumours of a tour starting this fall since the album was pushed back

COLUMN: OFF THE RECORD..., VOL. 14-622

@U2, June 08, 2014
By:Sherry Lawrence

"Exciting news coming out of Dublin: U2’s gear has left HQ for London, then it’ll be off to France for the summer. While it’s been fun keeping up with their social life in Los Cabos, Malibu and Los Angeles on Twitter, I wish the band would just address the fans through their own social media outlets (let alone their own fan club) with any updates about anything. The rumor mill is going into high gear with information circulating about the possibility of a two-year world tour beginning in late fall. Based on past tour experience, I’m seeing the puzzle pieces falling into place that would concur with tour preparations. Through past interviews, it would appear that the band’s time in Eze isn’t all holiday this year. If I were a betting gal, I’d say we may be in for a very exciting fall season. I sure do hope that the rumors are true."

Well. They have to have some source for this two year, late-fall beginning world tour talk. We'll find out soon enough.

Magnificent would have been a classic if it was released as a first single.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

Magnificent would have been a classic if it was released as a first single.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

I think with some minor tweaks it definitely could have been. But maybe even as it is, although I think it suffers from a few minor song structure issues. Just as I believe Pop was DOA by Disco and not so much the song but the image, I think Boots weird lyric killed NLOTH, I think with a different lyric it could have been a much stronger song.

Bono, Coldplay to join upcoming 'Biggest Loser - Songs from the Kitchen' edition.

Actor / football fan Larry Mullen Jnr. to appear on AMC's hit show 'The Walking Dead'

Bono, Coldplay to join upcoming 'Biggest Loser - Songs from the Kitchen' edition.

Actor / football fan Larry Mullen Jnr. to appear on AMC's hit show 'The Walking Dead'

I read rumors that they'll be reworking some classic tunes to fit the theme:

- Sunday Ice Cream Sunday

- I Will Swallow

- A Sort of Ranch Dressing

- Covet the Blue Cheese

- The Fry

- Seconds

I read rumors that they'll be reworking some classic tunes to fit the theme:

- Sunday Ice Cream Sunday

- I Will Swallow

- A Sort of Ranch Dressing

- Covet the Blue Cheese

- The Fry

- Seconds

It's actually known as "Sundae Chocolate Sundae", thank you very much.

If the band made this new album with the objectif that they still can be the flavour of the month,..or the year (in terms of an album/tour campaign) then they're in for another desappointment.

Music fans in general have pretty much made up their mind about what U2 are in 2014 from their own perspective,which is they're like the Stones,Bon Jovi,ect..don't give a crap about the new material,but don't mind to pay 100$ to see and hear them play the hits every 4 years.

U2 are in position that would envy so many bands,be free to do whatever they want without worrying about the charts and radio airplay.Thats why i'm so desapppointed about their stubburnness.

I am moving out to San Diego in a few weeks. I was really hopeful U2 would have their album out in time for me to listen on trip out there.

U2 has ruined my upcoming trip, and life for that matter.

Thanks bono and your lies.

Tho I still hope he's ok

Well, its only been about 3 years since the end of the last tour. Right now is probably the equivalent of September 1996. Almost 3 years after the last tour with an album on the way in 6 months.

Vertigo And Beautiful Day are fantastic songs. I think some fans distaste for those songs stems from their overwhelming popularity among the public when compared to the rest of their material. I remember a similar phenomenon in 1990 with some fans reactions to Joshua Tree vs. the bands music prior to Joshua Tree.

The irony is that only the die hard fans remember the I-Pod commercial, while the general public thinks of it as a great U2 song and the last time U2 had new music out.

What is your definition of an "Iconic" album? How many "Iconic" albums do the best artist produce over a 35 year career?

Back
Top Bottom