July 20, 21 - Amsterdam Arena

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In relation to the acoustic...what is the quality of the sound of the arena? where is the worst area? do they open the roof for the concerts?
Thanks!

I was wondering the same. I've heard they've got a new (and supposedly improved) speaker system installed since late 2005 and the part of the roof that doesn't open has some material fixed to it so to reduce the echoing. Has any of you heard the sound in the Arena after these measures were applied?

About the roof: I think the heighest point of the Arena is 77 metres. I've read somewhere the central stage column alone is 52 metres in height. Since it is suspended from the floor by some 10 to 15 metres I guess they have to open up the roof. I really hope so because this will drastically enhance the sound and it won't be so damn hot like the last time.

I was wondering the same. I've heard they've got a new (and supposedly improved) speaker system installed since late 2005 and the part of the roof that doesn't open has some material fixed to it so to reduce the echoing. Has any of you heard the sound in the Arena after these measures were applied?

A friend of mine went to a concert in the Arena last year, where the bands and artists were also on a stage in the middle. She said it's still echoing, so can you imagine how bad it was before!
However, my cousin said the sound was good during the Police concert, so maybe it depends on how many technical gadgets they put in the show: The Police can keep it very simple and the Dutch band mentioned above (De Toppers) are a show band with much sound effects and glitter and glamour. So, as for U2...

About the roof: I think the heighest point of the Arena is 77 metres. I've read somewhere the central stage column alone is 52 metres in height. Since it is suspended from the floor by some 10 to 15 metres I guess they have to open up the roof. I really hope so because this will drastically enhance the sound and it won't be so damn hot like the last time.

I hope they'll open the roof! I also wondered why they didn't do it during Vertigo...Maybe they were afraid that people would hear it in the Heineken Music Hall across the street, where a concert of the Dutch band De Dijk was going on.

maandag 20-7-2009
Deuren: 18:00 Aanvang: 20:00

Concert Tickets and Tour Dates | Live Nation Netherlands

So I wonder wether the 20.00 is for Snow Patrol or U2 themselves. In Barca it was Snow Patrol 20.30, U2 a little after 22.00. I HOPE that's not the case in Amsterdam or I'm royally screwed out of getting a train back home!

Snow Patrol at 6pm, U2 at 8 is fine by me!

Ok, thanks! now I also saw that on the website of the Arena it is stated that the normal concert curfew is 23:00 but that this will not be the case for U2. They will play till later. They also advice to arrange the transport in a good way, because of this... So I predict a huge mess since a lot of people will come by car...

Yeah, I will see what one can make of it. But I'm not gonna wear it. I don't like masks. But it could be simply held up.
Let's see. For Berlin, I hope the idea with the red glue sticks during Streets works out. :love:

What did I miss on the glowsticks?

Ok, thanks! now I also saw that on the website of the Arena it is stated that the normal concert curfew is 23:00 but that this will not be the case for U2. They will play till later. They also advice to arrange the transport in a good way, because of this... So I predict a huge mess since a lot of people will come by car...

I already received an email back. 20.00 is for SP, U2 is expected at 21.00u. Which would mean the concert finishes around 23.15/23.30. :) So trains are safe(I hope!).

What did I miss on the glowsticks?

Originally it was planned to distribute red glowsticks to everyone and light them during Streets. Now they are planning on doing the same during Ultraviolet with red and blue glow sticks.

Originally it was planned to distribute red glowsticks to everyone and light them during Streets. Now they are planning on doing the same during Ultraviolet with red and blue glow sticks.
Cool , Is there any way I could help ? Who organised it?

Some folks from u2tour.de as I understand it. If you want you can buy a pack of 100 red, blue or ultraviolet glow sticks and then distribute them in your area.

Oh, and if you are in the city next Friday head over to the Berlin thread. We will meet at an Irish Pub near Kurfurstendamm. :)

Some folks from u2tour.de as I understand it. If you want you can buy a pack of 100 red, blue or ultraviolet glow sticks and then distribute them in your area.

Oh, and if you are in the city next Friday head over to the Berlin thread. We will meet at an Irish Pub near Kurfurstendamm. :)
I dont go to germany, as much as I wish to meet some friendly german fans.
I dont speak german but I'll check out u2 tour for the light idea and i might buy a pack If its not too expensive.
I always wanted to visit Kurfurstendamn tough, you know , the Zoo Station.

Oh, I figured you would be at the concert. You don't need to worry about it, though. :)

Zoo Station is cool. Though it's not what it used to be now that the centre has moved east.

I already received an email back. 20.00 is for SP, U2 is expected at 21.00u. Which would mean the concert finishes around 23.15/23.30. :) So trains are safe(I hope!).

I got an email from Mojo Concerts yesterday, with the planned schedule:
Het voorlopige tijdschema van het U2 concert is:

18.00 deuren gaan open
20.00 aanvang Snow Patrol
21.30 aanvang U2
24.00 verwacht einde van het concert

In English:
18:00 Doors open
20:00 Snow Patrol
21:30 U2
24:00 Planned end of the concert

So check the train schedule to see if you can still make it back home after the concert (Dienstverlening voor iedereen die met de trein reist. ? NS voor reizigers ? NS reizigers). Until 1:00 extra trains/metro will run from station Bijlmer Arena to Central Station.
Apparently, you can also arrange your travel through TripTicket. Apparently, you can then travel with them from about 150 locations in the Netherlands. (http://mobiliteitspagina.tripticket.nl/live-nation/evenementgroep/23.html)

I think we're going by car. First thought of going by train but that's just not going to work out with the concert ending around 12 o'clock midnight. And the TripTicket thing sounds nice, only it's €22 per person + service costs and we won't be back in the place where we are picked up until 02:30, so that means we would be home at around 03:00 or later :crack: Now I don't mind staying up so late, but by car you can control the times and it's cheaper in the end.

I think we're going by car. First thought of going by train but that's just not going to work out with the concert ending around 12 o'clock midnight. And the TripTicket thing sounds nice, only it's €22 per person + service costs and we won't be back in the place where we are picked up until 02:30, so that means we would be home at around 03:00 or later :crack: Now I don't mind staying up so late, but by car you can control the times and it's cheaper in the end.

Does the tripticket count for going back too? I didn't understand that one, becuase It will be better for me to go by bus indeed.

Yep, but I'm going by car now! No waiting for me. Thanks anyway:hug: I understand now.
Can be handy for next time.

Whahaha , We'll get out eventually. The busses leave 2 hours after the concert, we probably still beat them.:wink:

I'm wondering if you still feel the same when it takes you 1 hour to get out of the parking lot... :)

Oh don't worry, I'm used to that, at the Lionel Richie concert last year it took us 1,5 hours to get out of there. And with one concert it even took us longer :hmm: And, we can hang around the Arena somewhat before heading back to the car. Waiting in the car isn't that bad with U2 music you know :wink: You just have to have a good mood!

We will just watch the others going mad while we are singing 40 in the parking lot. :D

We will just watch the others going mad while we are singing 40 in the parking lot. :D

I'll sing with ya :sexywink:

Btw isn't it fun maybe to meet up with a few others beforehand? I know we will try and meet some of the others in GA, but maybe people who also have seats? Maybe we could have a bite to eat together or something...

If you need some mental support in GA, give us a shout :wink:

Apparently, you can also arrange your travel through TripTicket. Apparently, you can then travel with them from about 150 locations in the Netherlands. (http://mobiliteitspagina.tripticket.nl/live-nation/evenementgroep/23.html)

For those of you from Groningen / Drenthe it can be a lot cheaper (€22 vs. €38 in my case) traveling with Drenthe Tours - Dagtochten - U2 Amsterdam instead. They can pick you up in Groningen, Assen, Beilen or Hoogeveen.

I traveled with them before to a U2 show and can recommend it! They make one quick stop so you can stretch your legs and/or take a smoke. Believe it or not but a most remarkable thing happened the last time I traveled with them: Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses was played in the bus when all of a sudden we came to a full stop because there was a horse running loose in front of us on the highway! I just hope they won't play Father Is An Elephant this time around :lol:

^ now that is some trippy shit there :lol: (Triptickets lol)
Great find for the people there tough.
Meetup sounds great actually but I indeed have seats

Did someone mention here the idea of bringing balloons to the show to be released when the band arrives on stage? I read about it on the Dutch U2 forum. Good idea? I'm all for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom