Desert Island XI - QUARANTINE ISLAND - Group 1 Listening Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Listened to Axver's a couple of days ago, just now getting around to writing my thoughts out...

I really, really enjoyed this, Ax. Without even getting into the individual tracks, I thought you did a superb job of creating a mood and maintaining it, and not only that, but a mood that accurately reflects the story you told. Dark, moody, hazy, dreamlike, etc.

I thoroughly enjoyed all four of the tracks you sort of used as dividers - Caspian, The End Of The Ocean, Sleepmakeswaves, and Flyying Colours. All heavier, mostly instrumental tracks, but I dug them, especially Caspian. I am not familiar with any of these artists, but I may have to look into them if these tracks are an accurate representation of their work.

Other new favorites...

Chromatics - I know there are a few pretty big fans here - I think Ashley was one - but I've never really listened to them. I enjoyed this track a lot.

Infinite Void - I know nothing about them, but this track felt like a cross between UF/JT-era U2 and Beach House, and I dug it.

Major Leagues - Very catchy, and I love the retro feel, it sounds like it could've been recorded in the 90s or even the late 80s.

Purple Pilgrims - Will be looking into these gals more. Really love their voices. It's like singer-songwriters from the 70s collaborated with dream-pop producers from the 21st century. Digging this a lot.

Young Ejecta - Totally 80s sounding, but I like the electronic elements.

Bullet Height - Super catchy and great atmosphere.

Young Galaxy - There's a sort of friction here between melancholic harmonies and an upbeat rhythm that is quite interesting to me.

Now, a word about Shana Falana/Stripped. This is one of the best covers of anything I've heard in a long, long time. She completely and utterly captured the spirit of Depeche Mode while still giving it her own unique voice. So good. And I can't believe you didn't know it was a DM song! DM is a B&C legacy favorite, and Stripped is a "greatest hit"!

Also a few tracks I already knew and loved...

Angel Olsen - I happen to disagree with the majority opinion that My Woman > All Mirrors. I think All Mirrors(the album) represents a new level of artistry for her, and the title track is so, so good.

Beach House - Beach House is always good.

Slowdive - I only recently listened to their self-titled for the first time, but I enjoyed it very much.

On the whole, this list really transported me. Lots of great tracks and stellar cohesion. Great job!

That concludes Group 1 for me.

I really, really enjoyed this, Ax. Without even getting into the individual tracks, I thought you did a superb job of creating a mood and maintaining it, and not only that, but a mood that accurately reflects the story you told. Dark, moody, hazy, dreamlike, etc.

Awesome, I'm really glad you dug it, and that you felt it fit with the story too. I figured that if anyone would appreciate it, you would (LM too, I hope). In many respects I feel the playlist dictated the story - once I started sequencing sections that made sense together, they suggested a broader order. I think I said earlier that I'd been pretty set on using Caspian as the closing track when I added Fire Made Flesh to the playlist but it felt much more right as the first interlude. As the closer it provided a full stop, but as the first interlude it really advanced the vibe of the playlist and twisted the direction.

I thoroughly enjoyed all four of the tracks you sort of used as dividers - Caspian, The End Of The Ocean, Sleepmakeswaves, and Flyying Colours. All heavier, mostly instrumental tracks, but I dug them, especially Caspian. I am not familiar with any of these artists, but I may have to look into them if these tracks are an accurate representation of their work.

They are all pretty representative, although this is Sleepmakeswaves' first serious foray into vocals. Basically their entire previous discography is instrumental.

And I can't believe you didn't know it was a DM song! DM is a B&C legacy favorite, and Stripped is a "greatest hit"!

:lol:

Must admit I know very little of their stuff. Everyone knows Just Can't Get Enough, of course (and I don't rate it), beyond that I struggle to think of a song they've done. I thought I'd listened to Violator once, but possibly not - my last.fm goes back to 2005 and only logs five Depeche Mode plays, all seemingly from DI, one definitely from a Screwtape list.

Righto, time for laz's second part. Never heard of Buffalo Tom but might have to dig further if this track is anything to go by - electrifying start to this half. La Rocca sounds great afterwards too. Not quite as interested in Slaughter and the Dogs, which seems to suffer from MP3 quality too and the enunciation of "situatiAWN" kinda bugs me irrationally.

Man what's up with these MP3s? I didn't think I had a particularly good or pedantic ear for that sort of thing but The Wannadies sounds super watery. Good tune though, catchy. I also dug the tracks immediately afterwards - to my surprise, even the Neil Diamond tune wasn't so bad. You didn't lose me until the Van Halen song, what the fuck is this. I thought they were shit eighties guitar heroes, which I could probably handle more than this hillbilly stuff. Could this turn tragic? Yepppp. Oh jesus and now Bob Dylan. I was really digging this side of the playlist but I'm checking out a bit now, although I will say this was not quite as bad as I expected from ol' mumbly Bob. The harmonica should be illegal.

Right back on track with the Jesus and Mary Chain track. This is right up my alley, and it's not one of their songs I already know. One of the best new-to-me songs of the DI so far. So, too, is this Velocity Girl track. Love it.

After bagging out older, dated music in my earlier comments on your first part and near the end of LM's list, I'll expose myself as a bit of a hypocrite because I quite enjoyed this Françoise Hardy track. Maybe it helps that I can't understand it. I've always wondered if Alcest would still be one of my top ten bands if I knew a word that Neige sings, or if I would find the lyrics embarrassing.

Pretty sure the only Blue Oyster Cult song I know is the obvious one, and this was unexpectedly enjoyable, and the segue into Deap Vally was inspired. Indeed, the whole final run was pretty good.

Overall, I liked part two a fair bit more than part one, and I liked the whole list more than I expected. Despite some issues with volume and MP3 quality, most of the songs sat together really well, effectively enough that I found myself tapping my foot to songs I normally would not have given much attention. There were a few new bands new to me that I will have to check out, and I really must expand my Jesus and Mary Chain collection.

Must admit I know very little of their stuff. Everyone knows Just Can't Get Enough, of course (and I don't rate it), beyond that I struggle to think of a song they've done. I thought I'd listened to Violator once, but possibly not - my last.fm goes back to 2005 and only logs five Depeche Mode plays, all seemingly from DI, one definitely from a Screwtape list.

Same. I reckon I know that song you've named from Gold 104, but otherwise couldn't name a single song.

I'm a big DM fan - Violator would rank up there among my all-time favorite albums. But I also find it really odd that Just Can't Get Enough is the song of theirs that seems to have most hung around in pop culture. Ax and Cobbler I imagine you would know Personal Jesus as well.

I know the title and I'm sure I've heard it through DI but can't recall a note.

Something funny - Depeche Mode are HUGE in Estonia. There's a Depeche Mode bar in Tallinn, a tiny dive bar that only plays Depeche Mode and is stacked with memorabilia and pics.

Alright going to try to get all Group 1 comments in today, since I am that far behind. Sorry folks. It's been a rough rough last 10 days. Will be spewing these out over the next few hours.

I know the title and I'm sure I've heard it through DI but can't recall a note.

Something funny - Depeche Mode are HUGE in Estonia. There's a Depeche Mode bar in Tallinn, a tiny dive bar that only plays Depeche Mode and is stacked with memorabilia and pics.

Depeche Mode are massive in Eastern Europe full stop. They sell out stadiums and arenas there whenever they tour - and they properly play in just about every capital city.

I suspect that Eastern Europe is particularly fond of the more European electronic music, particularly the German stuff. And One comes to mind. And Depeche Mode aligns well with that.

I’m talking on full speculation tho.

I would agree with that. I would extend that to pretty much all of mainland Europe, Depeche Mode always seemed bigger there than in the UK/Ireland.

Ax

Ax, to start, let me just say that I appreciate the notion of "moving interstate for a dream job in a city I don't like." While that's not exactly what I did, it's relatable, because I took a job in a sort of compromise - having to live in the burbs in order to do a job I want to do.

But yes, re: sleep, I haven't been doing much of that in isolation. Especially not at the appropriate hours. Okay here we go...

1. The Orbweavers—“The Dry”

Starting off with a mellow atmospheric track. Reminiscent of Chromatics, but maybe a little more drawn back. Or maybe a Lana Del Rey with a little less drama and a little more chill. I enjoy it. I did listen to this on a run, so it certainly slowed my pace down, but I'm actually the weirdo that runs to stuff like that on runs, because I'm a stupid runner who runs faster than I can for the distances I wish to accomplish. Alas, moving on...

2. Angel Olsen—“All Mirrors”—All Mirrors
Beautiful transition. Seamless, and had to question if it was the same artist and/or singer. There's energy more energy here, but the mood and pace are being defined at this point. It's well defined, so I'd argue I'm now expecting it, so don't let me down friend. Also, I like this track more than the last even. The last I liked, but with this, I'm interested in seeking more from this artist (who I do not know).

3. Woodes—“How Long I’d Wait”—How Long I’d Wait single
The environment continues, and with cross fades enabled, the transition is as seamless as ever. Major credit for that, as I value two things most in playlist design - "the seams" and a grander architecture. That being said, in terms of appreciability, I continue to enjoy what I'm listening to. I'm back to song #1 likeability level. Percussion section is highly appreciable in this song, and I can start to appreciate the lyrics a little more (I apologize for being generally unable to sense meaning without 20+ listens). Tactful singing, but would prefer some more variability lyrically.

4. Chromatics—“Time Rider”—Time Rider single
So we actually have some Chromatics here. Almost expected it, but perhaps didn't expect it, because of the lack of recognition of the other names. With that being said, I'm still not surprised. Though the song selection is interesting... given the catalog available with Chromatics and your masterful transitioning up until this point, I feel like there were a gazillion other Chromatics songs that would've transitioned better here. Note: it still transitions very well, so that's not a downplay, and I appreciate that you're not just picking songs purely to make masterful transitions. You're just good at that, it seems. Anyways, love Chromatics, but not my song of choice.

5. The Hundred in the Hands—“Come With Me”—Red Night (3:10)
Energy is picking up here. I'm not much of a fan this song - not sure what it is. Probably the guitar... sounds a little cliche rock n roll. Like, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts doing I Love Rock and Roll. Neutrally a respectable song, but if it's reminding me of that, I'd normally not seek out something like that.

6. Kayo—“Beasts”—Beasts EP
Returning to the vibe I was getting earlier. We'll call it synthetic wavering bass (I make up descriptions all the time that may be misconstrued - doing so has taught me that hard ring wingers have stolen the terms "objectivism," "reactionism," and other really good terms - fuckers). Also, some crystaline shimmering thrown in there. I like that. At this point my dumb self is struggling to get meaning, but I feel like I'll say that on everyone's playlist, so I'm focusing more on vibe and environment.

7. Marnie—“Alphabet Block”—Strange Words and Weird Wars
The transition game is back to the mastery, and again I'm questioning whether or not it's the same artist as the last. I will say that the style of music does lend itself to easy transitioning. This song seems to be channeling CVHRCHES in a minor key. At this point I'm ready for some happy majors, even if they're sad songs.

8. Health and Perturbator—“Body//Prison”—Body//Prison single
Ask and I shall not receive. Deeper and darker and more aggressive (and I've stopped running I think by this point). Shoegazey'y industrialy'y anger, with some elements of stuff you might find in a dubstep song. Not really crazy about that. But killer transition into...

9. Shana Falana—“Stripped”—Stripped
... here. I like the artist name hahaha. As I listen through this song, There are two parallel elements. One that's just there, and one that I love. The bells? Bells I think. I like. It's the treble that's favorable, and a happy departure away from the last song.

10. Caspian—“Fire Made Flesh”—Waking Season
So the dreams are real now. I'm a fan of the idea of breaking the list up with instrumentals - I did the same thing, and this works well here. Also in general, I would say that most of my thoughts to this point have been positive regarding the sound, but maybe neutral regarding about half of the vocals. So it's nice to maybe take break and get to use my own imagination in this dream. Anyways though, this song great. Would search more into this artist. Also kinda reminds me of Explosions in the Sky. But more energy. Maybe they should trade band names.

11. Repulsive Woman—“Relief”—Relief
Cannot tell if by design, but this is what I asked for a few songs ago. I'm glad we are taking this turn in terms of the sound. It allows me more headspace to digest the content. This song is fantastic. Dark, but delivered softly.

12. La Dispute—“Fulton Street I”—Panorama
If my short term memory (terrible) serves me correctly, this is the first male artist on the list. As someone who waited even longer on his own list to vary up the vocal gender, I'm not one to criticize here, but I do value mixing it up (and tend to think the best songs manage to do that internally). Anyways, back to the song and not just my commentary. This is maybe my favorite song so far. I like this fusion of post-2000's punk and/or ever-so-mildly hardcore vocals with a totally different style of music. Also sounds like we have a grisly murder on our hands...

13. Gold—“He Is Not”—Why Aren’t You Laughing?
Back on the transitioning game. I like the intentional monotony in the delivery here. Though the chorus is annoying - not the monotony, just the sound.

14. Cable Ties—“Sandcastles”—Far Enough
I'll notice the transitions every time. Though again, we are back to that Joan Jett sound that I want to avoid in my mind.

15. Press Club—“Separate Houses”—Wasted Energy
Oh hello. Chalk up another favorite. Also one of your poppiest to this point. I felt like I could relate heavily to this song lyrically, which is the first on the list I think.

16. Infinite Void—“Fading Light”—Endless Waves
I'll be honest I don't even remember this song upon reviewing it, and after reviewing it, it just sounds like someone blended Endless Summer with a gaussian blur on photoshop so there's less details but the same general concept.

17. Save Ends—“Mr. C’s Amazing Trip”—A Book About Bad Luck
I can't determine what this reminds me of, but it reminds me of something. Mostly the male in the song. Some early 2000s pop punk. Maybe Tom Delonge, but no that can't be it... anyways, I like the riff. What am I saying... that's not like Tom Delonge.. but who is it...

18. Major Leagues—“Someone Sometime”—Dream States
19. Mermaidens—“Satsuma”—Perfect Body
These two songs back to back are coasting music. They're benign but did not grasp my attention. The atmosphere has changed at this point, and we are rolling along with the windows down.

20. The End of the Ocean—“Desire”—-aire
It's red wine I'm having - Malbec preferably, please. Back to the pensive interlude. Reminds me of the last one, and that's a good thing. Really does a good job at signaling a break is underway.

21. Suldusk—“Catacombs”—Lunar Falls
I like the way this song ends, especially with the building percussion.

22. Midas Fall—“Borders”—Wilderness
And I like this synth snare here. And the vocals are bomb.com. This is certainly down my alley. Though it's kind of an outro of a song. Surely we still have an hour to go.

23. Habitants—“Jupiter”—One Self
Habitants... Canadian? Canadien? Oh no, that's right, they're Dutch. It's a gentle and nice tune. Sounds like it ought to be instrumental though, almost like one of your interludes.

24. Death and the Maiden—“Ooooh Baby in the Chorus”—Wisteria
Not what I expected from a band called "Death and the Maiden." I was distracted at this point so I didn't get very intimate with this (and the last few) songs.

25. Landing—“Second Sight”—Bells in New Towns
This is Pearl Jam if Pearl Jam was Mormon Industrial Rock.

26. Slowdive—“Sugar for the Pill”—Slowdive
I'm much more of a fan of this track than the last, but it's amazing how similar some parts sound. With that being said, that's a testament to how a good sound can be used in more or less effective ways (that's an opinion here of course). I like the vocals here.

27. Beach House—“All Your Yeahs”—Thank Your Lucky Stars
Ah, it's like the 3rd artist I recognize! Beach House is very neutral for me. I really like this track, but I really don't like the vocals. Too much layering going on, too much reverb. That's a mood though - if I cut my other senses off and just listened, it would have a much better effect.

28. Purple Pilgrims—“I’m Not Saying”—Purple Pilgrims
Axvers work in pairs, apparently. At least the third time I've commented on how much this song sounds like the last. That's not to say every song has sounded the same, but the pairs keep coming. This song is certainly more upbeat though.

29. Nadia Reid—“Right on Time”—Preservation
Not a lot of thoughts here, but it's a sweet tune. Think this would need to be listened to a dozen or so times before it stuck, but it could.

30. Erica Freas—“Quinn”—Patient Ones
This track is the most naked one you've presented so far. Very direct. Definitely a fan of using the cloud of vocals to create a headspace of thoughts as she's singing. Great song. I feel like that's the song where Axver gets off the stage but doesn't do the whole "thank you thank you thank you" thing because we know he's coming back on stage for the encore.

31. Sleepmakeswaves—“Cascades”—Cascades
More oceany explosions and overdrive on the guitar for the instrumentals. The OCD in me is a fan of how this is being used as the device for segmenting the list.

Part IV: Just Be Where You Are
Morning is approaching. The person feels more reconciled to their predicament. They do not want to live in interesting times, but here they are. They can make do. They can be where they are. Long live the fallen world. I'd still count this as instrumental, even if there's some singing. Sounds intentionally faded.

32. Purity Ring—“Stardew”—Womb
Ah, Purity Ring. That band that everyone says is similar to CHVRCHES and The Naked and Famous. Never explored. I can see the similarity with CVHRCHES, and I can see CHVRCHES similarity to The Naked and Famous, but from this track, I can't draw that triangle. This is a nice sound, and I'm encouraged to do more self study to test what I've been told.

33. Young Ejecta—“Build a Fire”—Build a Fire
Okay, when I saw the name "Young Ejecta" on paper, I immediately thought of scientific rap. I used to work in a microgravity lab, so the word "ejecta" was particularly relevant regarding particles on cometary and asteroidal surfaces. I digress, I like the song. I can't tell if it's legit a sample of like five different songs from the 80s or what... I hear Bizarre Love Triangle going on and then all the sudden it goes to something else I can't put my finger on. And then something else. At least three songs I hear. Halp, can't tell if going crazy. Will explore more.

34. Bullet Height—“Wild Words”—No Atonement
What I can barely hear from the backup male vocals really makes this sound like Fall Out Boy sometimes. Which leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I can't get Uma Thurman wearing a fedora out of my head.

35. Young Galaxy—“Long Live the Fallen World”—Invisible Republic
Young Galaxy is another recognized name. Will never turn down a Young Galaxy tune, solid song. Does make me think I ought to explore Young Galaxy more though.

36. Flyying Colours—“It’s Tomorrow Now”—Mindfullness
Good transition into the end. I like the sound, though I'm docking 5 points from Gryffindor for the band using two y's in the name. I already resent Alvvays and CHVRCHES and PVRIS and the rest who do similar things. Though that wouldn't stop me from exploring (as I roll my eyes but enjoy it anyways). They seem to get away with some shredding that I usually reject, but I think maybe that's because it wasn't a spotlight solo.

ALAS, the recap:
Overall, you've mastered your transitions, impeccable job. I could've used a little more dose of happy sounds here or there, even if mellow, as when I'm listening to music upwards of 1+ hours at a time, I allow the song to really set the mood. With that being said, you managed to set a mood, so that's both a positive and a negative. Thought you did a killer job starting the list and ending the list. For as minor-heavy as it was, it was also female heavy, and I think maybe some more variability from those two things could've helped. This has given me at least five leads for new music, so thanks for that. Standouts include Young Ejecta, Press Club, Midas Fall, and Young Galaxy.

Writing that much is no problem, but having had a 10 day hiatus from life has put me in a mode of catch-up.

I’ll catch up, and I’ll deliver on my promise for fun analytics. Got some of these partially written up already so group 1 is almost done, and since I’m in group 2, that’s one less to catch up through.

I would agree with that. I would extend that to pretty much all of mainland Europe, Depeche Mode always seemed bigger there than in the UK/Ireland.

Spanish girl I know is hugely into Depeche Mode but she is the only one. No one really talks about them here.

Holy shit, LN7, this is one detailed write-up, thank you! I really enjoyed your thoughts.

4. Chromatics—“Time Rider”—Time Rider single
So we actually have some Chromatics here. Almost expected it, but perhaps didn't expect it, because of the lack of recognition of the other names. With that being said, I'm still not surprised. Though the song selection is interesting... given the catalog available with Chromatics and your masterful transitioning up until this point, I feel like there were a gazillion other Chromatics songs that would've transitioned better here. Note: it still transitions very well, so that's not a downplay, and I appreciate that you're not just picking songs purely to make masterful transitions. You're just good at that, it seems. Anyways, love Chromatics, but not my song of choice.

It's been interesting to read people's reactions to that track, because I worried it stuck out the most of any track in the first section of the playlist, and I spent a bit of time moving it around until I found a spot where I liked it (I chanced upon putting it after Woodes, and was pretty happy). The reason it's there is because I had it on repeat through March obsessively. I expect that in years to come there are few songs I will associate more with lockdown.

12. La Dispute—“Fulton Street I”—Panorama
If my short term memory (terrible) serves me correctly, this is the first male artist on the list.

Health is the first track with a male vocalist on my list. Caspian is all blokes, but instrumental (although their newest album has a few too many vocal passages for my liking).

25. Landing—“Second Sight”—Bells in New Towns
This is Pearl Jam if Pearl Jam was Mormon Industrial Rock.

Gotta be honest, I don't get this! I struggle to think of two bands more unalike than Landing and Pearl Jam, especially in terms of the vocals.

"Mormon Industrial Rock" is a fucking funny idea though.

Too much layering going on, too much reverb.

Hello it me.

(No joke, my guitar effects chain is always, and I mean always, chorus pedal at the start, second chorus pedal at the end. At least one is always on.)

30. Erica Freas—“Quinn”—Patient Ones
This track is the most naked one you've presented so far. Very direct. Definitely a fan of using the cloud of vocals to create a headspace of thoughts as she's singing. Great song. I feel like that's the song where Axver gets off the stage but doesn't do the whole "thank you thank you thank you" thing because we know he's coming back on stage for the encore.

This song has a very precise memory, and it more than any other song is a leftover from the mooted playlist about taking a dream job in a city I hate. One of the friends I've made here invited me to a gig at a new live music venue in an old petrol station - his girlfriend's band was on the bill, and Erica Freas was the headliner. I was vaguely familiar with her band RVIVR beforehand but not with her solo stuff. She played "Quinn" and got all of us to be the chorus. There were probably about 30 people in the venue at the time, most of us drunk, and yet this one group of women in the crowd contributed amazing, on-key harmonies. I will never forget it. The studio version has always felt slightly weaker by comparison.

36. Flyying Colours—“It’s Tomorrow Now”—Mindfullness
Good transition into the end. I like the sound, though I'm docking 5 points from Gryffindor for the band using two y's in the name. I already resent Alvvays and CHVRCHES and PVRIS and the rest who do similar things. Though that wouldn't stop me from exploring (as I roll my eyes but enjoy it anyways). They seem to get away with some shredding that I usually reject, but I think maybe that's because it wasn't a spotlight solo.

Another very precise memory: me and a friend stumbling home after a huge drinking session (at the Brunswick Green, for the Melburnians here), and he spots a gig poster on a wall (just down Union Street near Sydney Road, for the Melburnians). He starts tearing it down. When I realise it's because he's enraged a band called itself "flYYing colours", I start shouting at him to stop tearing down my friends' gig poster.

Standouts include Young Ejecta, Press Club, Midas Fall, and Young Galaxy.

Extremely keen to get some people here into Midas Fall, they've soundtracked so much of the last few years for me.

Again, thanks man, really appreciate it. :up:

Writing that much is no problem, but having had a 10 day hiatus from life has put me in a mode of catch-up.

I’ll catch up, and I’ll deliver on my promise for fun analytics. Got some of these partially written up already so group 1 is almost done, and since I’m in group 2, that’s one less to catch up through.

Looking forward to it man :) and don't put too much pressure on yourself to keep it up. You don't want it to feel like a chore.

Melon

1. Susanne Sundfør - “Delirious” - Ten Love Songs
You come out with a banger for an opener, almost as though I'm at a show. LeMel is about to play EBTTRT and Bowie is on right now and the crowd is going wild. I'm a huuuuuge fan of this song. I wouldn't hold it against you if this was the peak of the playlist from the get go.

2. Björk - “Joga” - Homogenic
Great transition, strings to strings, viking to viking. Bjork is great, I need to explore more.

3. Phantogram - “Fall in Love” - Voices
Also a Phantogram fan, and you're off to a good start with the seams. Even though the sound is small departure, the transition connects it. Lmao do you remember when The Game and Kanye sampled this song...?

4. Gorillaz - “Empire Ants (feat. Little Dragon)” - Plastic Beach
I've not heard this Gorillaz song, or anything from Gorillaz in the last decade. It's enjoyable, but I wouldn't continue with it. Well, maybe, I don't know. Maybe I ought to just know Gorillaz better than like Feel Good Inc. and two other songs before being disappointed. I like Damon Albarn's solo stuff though!

5. Jessie Ware - “Running” - Devotion
I can't tell if her voice is being copied and pasted, but I don't like the repetition on the chorus, and it sounds too clean. Cut out the chorus and I'm coming back to this song.

6. Jamie XX - “Loud Places (feat. Romy)” - In Colour
Jamie xx is only 31. Think about that. So 10 years ago, when everyone was like "I'm super into The xx..." waow. I love this song. Love the vocals, just a mastery. Good inclusion. Also laughably British name, as though Jamie T wasn't already a thing... had to just tack on the xx thing. Freaking twice. Also also, I appreciate the self-respecting FU in-character in this song at the end.

7. (Sandy) Alex G - “Sportstar” - Rocket
Swing and drive to deep left center field, LeMel transitions into sportstar! The autotune dampens the song, but it remains enjoyable nonetheless. I enjoy repetitive piano holding the line, and I enjoy snares. Maybe I'll check out this artist more, but hoping he's not Owl City, and the autotune is a one-off thing.

8. Shura - “Flyin’” - Forevher
This song really sounds like a classic. I had to search it to figure out what it was a cover of, but couldn't find anything. Either I'm bad at the google, or that's an authentic modern day song recapturing something of what could have been in history.

9. Calvin Harris - “Slide (feat. Frank Ocean & Migos)” - Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1
Migos are a guilty pleasure. I'm supposed to like Frank Ocean, but I feel nothing (no hate either though). But I can't stand the "I might" part...

10. Caroline Polachek - “Hit Me Where It Hurts” - Pang
... and even though "I might" is still ringing in my head, that was a seamless delivery onto something totally different. I really like the synths here.

11. Charli XCX & Christine and the Queens - “Gone” - Charli
If my roommate didn't run away to New Hampshire on his rona holiday, he'd be gaying out over me having played Charli. Always a banger with Charli, and a fantastic synth sound. I wish more of pop music was like Charli XCX.

12. Carly Rae Jepsen - “Julien” - Dedicated
If my roommate didn't run away to New Hampshire... Carly Rae Jepsen is fun and all, but I don't get how she is as big as she is. Always thought she was a one hit wonder, and then she put her head together with fellow one-hit-wonder Owl City and then... I've used up my dialogue on Owl City. I hear she's absolutely a great person though! Like super humble and fun and all.

13. Robyn - “Ever Again” - Honey
IF MY ROOMMATE DIDN'T RUN AWAY TO NEW HAMPSHIRE... this may frustrate you, but I saw Robyn open for Coldplay and didn't know who she was at the time. It frustrates my roommate, I think. I like the song though. It's got a nice flow to it. I promise I'll be brokenhearted again though.

14. Grimes - “Flesh Without Blood” - Art Angels
X AE A-12 will be so proud of his mother for this song. Also, if my roommate didn't run away to New Hampshire... are you my roommate, LeMel? If Rihanna is next, you might be. Anyways, Rick Grimes ever since leaving The Walking Dead... Grimes can do some pretty cool things with her voice. Maintains a good poppy beat without getting frustrating or annoying - I haven't listened to much of Grimes, but what I hear I like. Maybe I'll do some exploring here.

15. The Jezabels - Endless Summer - Prisoner
Endless Summer makes about 25% of my playlists for other people. It' just such a fire song, bonus for having it. I feel like it might've been you who introduced it some 6-7 years ago whilst talking about Lollapalooza 2012 or 2013, I can't remember. But I think that's where I know it from. I don't know how anyone can't love this song.

16. Jay Som - “Superbike” - Anak Ko
The "let me tell you" parts are a little bit 90s peaky, but not from a 90s song. Transitioned well into it, but this is something that maybe would need to grow on me before I let it in. It's a good sound, but it's not something I'm falling in love with off the bat.

17. Alvvays - “In Undertow” - Antisocialites
Said it to Ax about Flyying Colours, and I'll say it again. Why oh why the two v's? Such a good act, such a good sound, I forgive, but I can't not keep seeing it!

18. The Beths - “Future Me Hates Me” - Future Me Hates Me (4:06)
Another great transition, but the song left my mind wandering elsewhere.

19. Kero Kero Bonito - “Flyway” - Time ‘n’ Place
This sound is a departure from what you had going on, but has some similarities. I suspect we are about to go somewhere else from here, and this is the boat that's gonna take us there. Very much so a coasting song of good vibes .

20. Sweet Trip - “Dsco” - Velocity : Design : Comfort
You sly dog you, I see what you did on that transition. You've got some good and creative ones, very satisfying. I haven't much to say about the song, because it's still coasting like the last, despite being different.

21. Rocketship “I Love You the Way That I Used to Do” - A Certain Smile, a Certain Sadness
And here we make the change that I was anticipating. I was ready for something crisp and clean, and I got it. Good placement. While I haven't much to say about the song, the architecture of the list and its placement did get me to focus in on it.

22. Stereolab - “The Flower Called Nowhere” - Dots and Loops
I don't know how to describe the vocals, maybe it's to do with the key, I'm not sure. I'm musically ignorant, but I don't like that thing. That thing. The song without the vocals sounds great though.

23. Tindersticks - “Marbles” - Tindersticks
I think talking through a song can be very cool when done right, and that's true here too. I'll write this one down as something to further explore, it's well delivered.

24. Broadcast - “Before We Begin” - Haha Sound
Nothing much to say here, because I don't remember it after running through it again.

25. Beach House - “Master of None” - Beach House
Organ me up, good song. I like the micro-loops, I'l call them. The clean cuts between each note.

26. The Beach Boys - “All I Wanna Do” - Sunflower
The transfer here was cool. I didn't realize the Beach Boys had anything like this, and I'm saying that from the perspective of someone who grew up in a household where the Beach Boys and Johnny Cash ran the show. I know they're certainly groundbreaking in many regards, so add this to that catalog.

27. Weyes Blood - “Something to Believe” - Titanic Rising
I'm 50-50 here. There's potential, but I think there's maybe too much twang or something like that. Something in the strings that I want to avoid, but I like the song in general.

28. Angel Olsen - “Sister” - My Woman
We are moving on more with some soft twang here, or something like that. I like this song though, and the chorus is fun. And the guitar soars in a positive way. It kind of talks.

29. Timber Timbre - “Hot Dreams” - Hot Dreams
The classiness and jazziness and big band-ness is something I'm not really for. In general, horns and woodwinds are things I left behind in middle school with ska music. Not that I'm comparing those two, but I wouldn't be continuing with this song.

30. Saint Etienne - Erica America - Good Humor
I'm ready for some energy, I suspect since it's not here, it'll come soon. This song sounds familiar.

31. A Girl Called Eddy - “Jody” - Been Around
Here's some energy! Though I just made some comments about some horns, I can appreciate that the gain on these ones is a little bit lower, despite being prominent. And the chorus is capturing and fun.

32. Lambchop - “Nashville Parent” - Nixon
Gentle out, gentle in. Lambchop... Nashville... Nixon.... I'm concerned. Okay, the strings are fun, and I have now fully absorbed that "something" I have talked about over the last few songs is something I'm not crazy about, but I'm too uninformed to be able to know how to categorize it. I think you've got good taste, because they've all been "close" to something I'd want - almost like picking a genre I don't like, but still keeping from losing interest. I like the cello here. Or viola, can't sniff the diff.

33. Dusty Springfield - “Just a Little Lovin’” - Dusty in Memphis
Another killer transition, and my brain is reminding me this is called "soul" music about five songs later. My soul died a long time ago tho.

34. Dionne Warwick - “Anyone Who Had a Heart” - “Anyone Who Had a Heart
Help me get down, I can make it, help me get down, if I only knew the answer, I wouldn't be bothering you... Father! I don't know, can you hear it?

35. The Ronettes - “How Does It Feel” - Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes Featuring Veronica
Within this section, I'm most here for this. I also sense this is a transitional track out of this section.

36. Laura Nyro - “Blackpatch” - Christmas and the Beads of Sweat
I'm happy that the piano is running the show now. Also like the multiple vocal tracks here.

37. Fiona Apple - “Werewolf” - The Idler Wheel…
Was this recorded live full band? Sounds very much so like a complete sound, though the door sounds in the front of the song could be playing tricks on me. I haven't explored much of Fiona Apple (actually nothing). Maybe need to write that down.

38. The National - “Exile Vilify” - Exile Vilify (From the Game Portal 2)
Well I love The National, and this song is a great topical one for the pandemic. Also, hey, people who use The National to close their playlists are cool. I haven't heard this song. But it's The National, so most things are great.

And for the recap: I said I wouldn't hold it against you, and I won't - you came out with your very best song up front. Thank you for that. Instant hit, favorited, liked, subscribed, retweeted. In general, I was able to vibe more with the first 8 songs. The pop segment that followed, as well as the soul section towards the end, didn't quite capture me. The post-pop section was great though. You handled transitions well, and you achieved your melancholinous (melancholic but screw it I like melancholinous) goals, and I do feel closer to you! Even at points where my commentary is me rambling about my roommate, maybe I'm not super crazy about the pop section, but there's the relatability (chrome telling me that's not a word, too). Peaks: Susanne Sundfor, Phantogram, Jamie xx, (Sandy) Alex G, Jezabels, and Alvvays. Susanne Sundfor, Alex G, and (for the most part) Alvvays are new to me. And you showed me some interesting Beach Boys content! And by now you're tired of reading. Thanks!

Spanish girl I know is hugely into Depeche Mode but she is the only one. No one really talks about them here.

I didn't realize you were in Belfast (I rarely am not on mobile, so locations usually don't show). I was just in town before the world went to shit.

Relatability is so a word.

I read the whole thing and I'm glad I did! It was like watching your synapses fire.

It would be cool if I recommended Endless Summer to you all those years ago and it stuck with you all this time. The Jezabels kicked ass at Lolla that year.

Jody was the very last song I added to this list and it was apparently a good instinct to follow because everyone has been digging it.

Gotta be honest, I don't get this! I struggle to think of two bands more unalike than Landing and Pearl Jam, especially in terms of the vocals.

"Mormon Industrial Rock" is a fucking funny idea though.

The fella's voice just sounds like Eddie Vedder if he calmed his shit down and went to bible school at BYU. Sounds nothing like Pearl Jam otherwise haha.

This song has a very precise memory, and it more than any other song is a leftover from the mooted playlist about taking a dream job in a city I hate. One of the friends I've made here invited me to a gig at a new live music venue in an old petrol station - his girlfriend's band was on the bill, and Erica Freas was the headliner. I was vaguely familiar with her band RVIVR beforehand but not with her solo stuff. She played "Quinn" and got all of us to be the chorus. There were probably about 30 people in the venue at the time, most of us drunk, and yet this one group of women in the crowd contributed amazing, on-key harmonies. I will never forget it. The studio version has always felt slightly weaker by comparison.
Damn, jealous of the ability to be present on a scene enough to have those types of experiences. Last time I had those opportunities, I was in Orlando, and I still never got that embedded.

Another very precise memory: me and a friend stumbling home after a huge drinking session (at the Brunswick Green, for the Melburnians here), and he spots a gig poster on a wall (just down Union Street near Sydney Road, for the Melburnians). He starts tearing it down. When I realise it's because he's enraged a band called itself "flYYing colours", I start shouting at him to stop tearing down my friends' gig poster.

So you know the band or someone in it? Can you ask y the yys? Next time you see your friend, one drink on me in spirit.

I'm glad my ridiculous commentary was well received and is getting some interesting personal dialogue like this. I appreciate the insight, glad to get to know you a little more.

Relatability is so a word.

I read the whole thing and I'm glad I did! It was like watching your synapses fire.

It would be cool if I recommended Endless Summer to you all those years ago and it stuck with you all this time. The Jezabels kicked ass at Lolla that year.

Jody was the very last song I added to this list and it was apparently a good instinct to follow because everyone has been digging it.

I'm tempted to go dig it up, though the very notion that I know they played Lolla in 2012 leads me to believe my story must be true, since I didn't know who they were in 2012.

I didn't realize you were in Belfast (I rarely am not on mobile, so locations usually don't show). I was just in town before the world went to shit.

I'm born and bred in Belfast but currently reside in Manchester in England. Belfast is probably one of the few places in the world that knows instinctively how to handle a lockdown!

So you know the band or someone in it? Can you ask y the yys? Next time you see your friend, one drink on me in spirit.

Not only do I know the band, I know them well enough that they closed the night at this big going-away party: https://www.facebook.com/events/the-tote/roogaze-2017-andres-choice/346506492418666/

(Zond headlined but played second-last. Nobody else could possibly close the night - besides their propensity to jam, Flyying Colours was the band I trusted most to put on a wild set even if they were all super drunk.)

Never asked about the spelling, to be honest. That sort of thing doesn't phase me. I've always assumed Brodie (the frontman) chose it because he liked the expression and wanted to distinguish the band from others with the same name. I could be wrong. I guess I'll ask them next time I see them play... whenever that is...

Not only do I know the band, I know them well enough that they closed the night at this big going-away party: https://www.facebook.com/events/the-tote/roogaze-2017-andres-choice/346506492418666/

(Zond headlined but played second-last. Nobody else could possibly close the night - besides their propensity to jam, Flyying Colours was the band I trusted most to put on a wild set even if they were all super drunk.)

Never asked about the spelling, to be honest. That sort of thing doesn't phase me. I've always assumed Brodie (the frontman) chose it because he liked the expression and wanted to distinguish the band from others with the same name. I could be wrong. I guess I'll ask them next time I see them play... whenever that is...

Hey that’s my birthday! I was in Toulouse then, watching french people be sexist. Oh I remember that day for sure.

I'm born and bred in Belfast but currently reside in Manchester in England. Belfast is probably one of the few places in the world that knows instinctively how to handle a lockdown!

I’ve got some fam (nurses at that) who are in Manchester. And nurses in Belfast, too. Idk why my family are all medical and here I am, an engineer. Anywho, knowing how small belfast is, I can only imagine there’s a strong likelihood that we are related.

Kidding [emoji23] but I wouldn’t be surprised if we knew some of the same people if you’ve ever worked in any of the hospitals there.

I've done all my training in Manchester, came over when I was 20 and been here ever since, never actually did any nursing in Belfast itself, though my mum is currently treating me as her personal nurse and I have to diagnose ever little throat tickle:hyper:

Peef

Okies, time for peef commentary.

I'll start by saying I am a big fan of giving your playlist a theme that's challenging to mesh, but manages to get really exploratory. We are one big American culture, but you'll find all sorts of different subcultures from the Appalachians to Brooklyn and out to the other shining sea. So I appreciate the opportunity to explore something that I'm probably not familiar with. I had the opportunity to go (aside from for a concert) to Philadelphia for the first time in January. Long story short, it was a devastating date. Not relevant. I like Philadelphia.

1. Marian Anderson – “O What a Beautiful City!” – The Very Best Of

So admittedly not exactly my type of music, though this did get me to read up on Marian Anderson. Sounds like a real human rights' hero, and arguably one of the earlier modern examples of musicians using their platform for change.

2. Vacationer – “Paradise Waiting” – Relief
Good transition using that gramophonic sound to go from old to new. Vacationer is great - I've managed to see them three times as an opener (The Naked and Famous is the only band I recall, but I do remember me and my friend Jason commenting on how we have seen them 3 times together). Haven't listened to them in a hot minute, will have to see what's new.

3. Meek Mill – “Dreams and Nightmares” – Dreams and Nightmares
Never actually listened to Meek Mill, just know who he is in the context of the political realm. Can we call this "atmospheric rap"??? I'm liking the "dream and nightmare" sound that pairs with the title. There are still a few cliche rap elements in the sound that I'm not a fan of, but in general it's a refreshing rap song.

4. Lil Uzi Vert – “P2” – Eternal Atake
Deffo not my thing, sort of checks the list for a handful of things in poppy hip hop that I don't like (autotune, cliche loops etc.).

5. Rome Fortune feat. Toro y Moi – “Hoodrich Disco” – Toro Y Rome Vol. 1
Toro y Moi is great. The flow here is great, too. I was running during the first listen through here, and it was definitely energizing, swingin my head as I trot down the trail.

6. The Roots – “Thought @ Work” – Phrenology
Slick transition . The Roots are legends, and not just because they've basically become synonymous with Fallon. Illadelph Halflife is one of my favorite album names haha. I'm a fan of how they've managed to take big band and rap and mesh it into one. It's certainly unique to my ears.

7. Beanie Sigel feat. Freeway and Young Chris – “I Can’t Go on This Way” – The B.Coming
I like the sampling here. Or do we call that sampling, is it just a single recording for this record pasted in there repeatedly... not sure. But it's nice, tactfully done. Given my general ignorance with hip hop music, I am feeling as though this is Philadelphia, but I'm curious as to whether or not this is actually just Peef's style that exists outside of Philadelphia, too. But I'm catching the vibe by now.

8. Todd Rundgren – “Wolfman Jack” – Something/Anything?
I don't know why, but the gentleman's delivery here has me thinking Daft Punk is playing in my house, my house. Very much so an interesting groovy rock-meets-r&b thing going on here, channeling the same thought of "is this Philadelphia, or is this Peef?" thoughts that came from #7.

9. Sheer Mag – “Need to Feel Your Love” – Need to Feel Your Love
First impression here is the style in which the audio was recorded for the vocal tracks. Whatever you call that. I like it. The strings come out clean, but the vocals are layered and really leaves me with two separate focuses (in a good way). I can't pin what genre this artist might otherwise mostly align with, but it's a departure from a general sound I've been vibing with through the playlist. It's probably a good time to do that for me personally, because while I think you've put things together very class so far, I've been waiting for some sounds I crave...

10. Beach Slang – “Bad Art & Weirdo Ideas” – The Things We Do to Find People Who Feel Like Us
... and here I found the sounds I crave. I'm a big fan of this song, my favorite so far. Yearning indie/punk rock. Reminds me of a dialed back Japandroids, and when they hit the verse I can't tell who that reminds me of. But it's familiar. OH. WE ARE, VERY BUSY PEOPLE. Sorry if that ruined this song for you.

11. Cayetana – “Dirty Laundry” – Nervous Like Me
Fuck that was a hot transition. And you're on a roll now and you've got my attention. Keep killin it peefsky. Buried deep in this song is just the cutest synth, probably dead last on the audio gain but it's giving the song pizzazz with all of its clash.

12. The Wonder Years – “Came Out Swinging” – Suburbia I’ve Given You All and Now I’m Nothing
Ah, The Wonder Years. Proper pop punk. What to say, other than "good"?

13. Circa Survive – “The Difference between Medicine and Poison Is in the Dose” – On Letting Go
I never knew how to feel about Circa Survive. Reminds me so much of Coheed and Cambria. The guy's voice is just piercing, in an unpleasant way. It detracts from otherwise potentially attractive sounds. Especially in this song.

14. Balance and Composure – “Is It So Much to Adore?” – Light We Made
There's potential here for me to bite the bait. Maybe just need to hear them let loose a little more.

15. Waxahatchee – “Hear You” – Out in the Storm
Hearing a name like Waxahatechee makes me think of my home state, not yours! Doesn't help that "Saint Cloud" comes up in the google search, we are in the south my man! Sure enough Alabama came up though, not Florida. Anyways, I'm sure there's something Philly there. I like her voice, and I like the grumbling distortion on the guitar. Mostly her delivery though.

16. Modern Baseball – “Revenge of the Nameless Ranger” – MOBO Presents: The Perfect Cast EP
Modern Baseball! I know them! You chose a rather mellowed track. You also seem to be a fan of the progressive bits here and there. But cheers to over-analyzing what it is you do wrong in relationships - or so I think that's what's being spoken to here.

17. Ween – “Freedom of ‘76” – Chocolate & Cheese
Hmm pass. Couldn't get into this one at all.

18. Daryl Hall & John Oates – “When the Morning Comes” – Abandoned Luncheonette
Hall & Oates are fantastic. Everything they've made is gold. Probably said it to Dave, but I feel like it's always impressive to hear them and then put it in the context of when that sound was made, seems ahead of its time.

19. Dr. Dog – “Shadow People” – Shame, Shame
Putting Hall & Oates next to Dr. Dog made Dr. Dog sound different. Haven't listened to enough Dr. Dog, and I think this is a good sign to give em another go. Not heard this one, but after listening a couple of times I feel like this is quintessential Peefadelphia in terms of the narrative. Call me crazy if I'm wrong.

20. Tim Heidecker – “Work from Home” – In Glendale
Uh Tim as in Tim & Eric? This song seems too serious for that guy. His show is not awesome, for the record. Though this song isn't bad. Boring by design? Well delivered. How is this guy serious here? How can we take him seriously?

21. Purling Hiss – “Follow You Around” – High Bias
This reminds me of Kurt Vile

22. Kurt Vile – “Was All Talk” – Wakin on a Pretty Daze
Lol. I saw Kurt Vile once. He's like a boring War On Drugs. I like him, and this song is one of the better ones. My image of Kurt Vile is destroyed by who I saw him with. I feel like Kurt Vile is our generation's Lynyrd Skynyrd. Don't @ me.

23. Japanese Breakfast – “Everybody Wants to Love You” – Psychopomp
Now this is fun. Shame it's only 2 minutes long, because it's full of creativity. I love the callback to the backup vocals, even the guitar solo is classy.

24. Queen of Jeans – “Not a Minute Too Soon” – If You’re Not Afraid, I’m Not Afraid
Smooth transition, but the song gets off to a bit of a slow start. Once that raw bass drum gets bumpin though, it gets interesting.

25. Man Man – “Head On (Hold on to Your Heart)” – On Oni Pond
As I continue to explore Philadelphia music brought to me by Philadelph Fanlife (aka FILA, now known as JD Sports) I begin to wonder, if Dr. Dog is from Philadelphia, and now Man Man is a thing, does that mean Sir Sly is also from Philadelphia? Google says not. Strangely enough, Sir Sly still kind of gets channeled here. A sort of spooky or haunting indie poppy what have you... anyways. Put this song at #2 on my favorite new material from this list. Good stuffs.

26. Beach House – “Myth” – Bloom
Beach House seems to be a popular shout on these here playlists. I can't recall which songs, but I think at this point I can at least say that I think you've incorporated this sound very well. Man Man into this is natural. Settling into another high for me on the list with this stretch.

27. The War on Drugs – “An Ocean In Between the Waves” – Lost in the Dream
I don't care what anyone says about The War On Drugs sounding too same same across their catalog. It's all good same-same stuff. I love it, and this is helping wind the list down here into some chill vibes.

28. Hop Along – “The Fox in Motion” – Bark Your Head Off, Dog
This song could do well if the vocal tracks were cut off. I feel like it's a mismatch of sound, of what other sounds like transitional instrumental music.

29. (Sandy) Alex G – “Hope” – House of Sugar
OK! Sandy, Alex G, confusing artist name round two. I previously commented that I hoped that auto-tune wasn't a thing with Alex G, and it's not, now that I revisit those comments in my mind. This is a nice sound, and what I was hoping for. Reminds me of someone circa 2010...

30. The Districts – “Funeral Beds” – Telephone
Hard part to get to the outro here. The run to the end was good, but this one sort of leaves me wondering if ending on Alex G was a good way to wrap up.

RECAP: It was cool to get to explore this music from the concept of location, which encouraged me to read about the artists a little bit as I wrote up my review. The first third of the playlist was mostly genres that run a little cold with me, though you were able to find at least some of it that was inviting to my ear (and perhaps the general ear). While this benefited you there, I feel like when you got into the more familiar pop punk or punk-inspired music, maybe you were being Bono & The Edge looking for stuff that general audiences might receive better. Though you could actually just prefer that a little more, I don't know.

Generally I think you had less focus on transitions, which was to be expected with the theme put forward, but you did a great job with architecting your list. I had two notable runs with Beach Slang-Modern Baseball and subsequently let's say Japanese Breakfast through Alex G. Calling out those runs was actually harder than I thought, because I simultaneously want to call about 50% of your playlist from Beach Slang through Alex G a good run, but I can also break it up 4 ways if I pick out individual things I couldn't jive with. With that being said, lots of new music to explore here, and I appreciate the unique piece of work that took me up and down broad street. Next time include: this

IDK why the video wont post starting at the time I want it to, but add &start=148 to your link

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom