Desert Island XI - QUARANTINE ISLAND - Group 2 Listening Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Group 1 was a big success, averaging about 20 posts a day, thorough commentaries and plenty of new discoveries for listeners. Let's keep that momentum going into group 2.

For the time being, I intend to start group 3 on Monday, May 11. That 10-day timetable worked well for group 1.

Group 2

gump

Sheltered in Place in New York

This is the simplest possible concept I can think of: songs about New York City. It’s been done time and again. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of songs that fit the bill. I don’t really care. In this time where I can only see Brooklyn through my window, this playlist makes me remember how much I miss this dang city.

I tried to capture a range of styles that are important to New York – from jazz and hip hop to punk and the CBGB – as well as favorite contemporary artists that were so obviously influenced by what came before them in the city. It’s remarkable how much excellent music there is about NYC. I have a longer playlist which is over 6 hours long. I couldn’t find room for stuff like Visions of Johanna, New York I Love You But You Are Bringing Me Down, Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters, New York City Cops, etc etc. But hopefully this provides you with some good thoughts or memories of a city that I came to call home.

Disc 1

1. Clifford Brown, Max Roach Quintet - "Take The A" Train" - Study In Brown (04:15)
2. Beastie Boys - "An Open Letter To NYC" - To The 5 Boroughs (04:18)
3. Wu-Tang Clan - "C.R.E.A.M." - Enter The Wu-Tang (04:12)
4. A Tribe Called Quest - "Electric Relaxation " - The Anthology (03:46)
5. Stevie Wonder - "Living For The City" – Innervisions (07:23)
6. Bobby Womack - "Across 110th Street" - Midnight Mover: The Bobby Womack Story (03:50)
7. Talking Heads - "Psycho Killer" - Talking Heads '77 (04:20)
8. The Velvet Underground & Nico - "I'm Waiting For The Man" - The Velvet Underground & Nico (04:39)
9. Le Tigre - "My My Metrocard" - Le Tigre (02:54)
10. New York Dolls - "Subway Train" - New York Dolls (04:20)
11. Ramones - "Rockaway Beach" – Ramones (02:21)
12. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Yeah! New York" – Fever to Tell (02:06)

Disc 2

1. Patti Smith - "Piss Factory" - Hey Joe / Piss Factory (04:41)
2. Iggy Pop – "Avenue B" – Avenue B (05:21)
3. Tom Waits - "Downtown Train" - Rain Dogs (03:50)
4. Joni Mitchell - "Chelsea Morning" - Clouds (02:31)
5. Television – "Venus" – Marquee Moon (3:49)
6. Eleanor Friedberger - "Roosevelt Island" - Last Summer (05:20)
7. St. Vincent - "New York" – MASSEDUCTION (02:34)
8. Lana Del Rey - "Brooklyn Baby" – Ultraviolence (05:52)
9. Interpol - "NYC" - Turn On The Bright Lights (04:19)
10. The National - "The Geese of Beverly Road" – Alligator (04:56)
11. Lou Reed - "Walk on the Wild Side" – Transformer (04:14)
12. Bruce Springsteen - "New York City Serenade" - The Wild, the Innocent & The E Street Shuffle (09:58)

Total runtime: 105:00

LINK:

LuckyNumber7

4ZZq1GN.jpg

Life by Misadventure

Life By Misadventure is an adventure through time - a coming of age story through the last ten years. Beginning at the age of adulthood and leaving the past behind, topics of sexuality, mental health, unrequited love, and vagabondism. Along the way, major life events reshape the direction of the adventure. Old themes continue to recur, leading into a mishmash of sensory overload, reflection, and reclamation.

1. U2 - "Elvis Presley and America" - The Unforgettable Fire (6:23)
2. The Killers - "This River is Wild" - Sam's Town (4:38)
3. The Airborne Toxic Event - "Innocence" - The Airborne Toxic Event (6:50)
4. Dan Black ft. Kid Cudi - "Symphonies" - The:Hours Recordings - The Debut Years (3:49)
5. Twenty One Pilots - "Holding on to You" - Vessel (4:24)
6. Augustines - "The Instrumental" - Rise Ye Sunken Ships (3:51)
7. The Knife - "Heartbeats" - Deep Cuts (3:52)
8. Twin Shadow - "Beg for the Night" - Confess (3:42)
9. We Were Promised Jetpacks - "Quiet Little Voices" - These Four Walls (4:21)
10. The Walkmen - "The Rat" - Bows + Arrows (4:22)
11. Night Terrors of 1927 ft. Tegan & Sara - "When You Were Mine" - Anything to Anyone (3:55)
12. Bleachers - "Wild Heart" - Strange Desire (3:20)
13. Majical Cloudz - "Downtown" - Are You Alone? (4:09)
14. Wintersleep - "Weighty Ghost" - Welcome to the Night Sky (3:39)
15. Phoenix - "Heatwave" - Heatwave (4:20)
16. Santigold - "Who I Thought You Were" - 99 Cents (3:49)
17. Gordi - "Can We Work it Out" - Can We Work it Out (4:21)
18. CHVRCHES - "Do I Wanna Know?" - triple j Like A Version (4:18)
19. Zola Jesus - "Dangerous Days" - Taiga (4:30)
20. Arcade Fire - "Half Light II (No Celebration)" - The Suburbs (4:27)
21. Eno · Hyde - "Return" - High Life (9:00)
22. Modest Mouse - "Lampshades on Fire" - Strangers to Ourselves (3:08)
23. Simple Minds - "Reel to Real" - Reel to Real Cacophony (2:50)
24. Partenaire Particulier - "Partenaire Particulier" - Le son des années 80 (4:06)
25. Nour Al Zain & Ghazwan Elfhad - "Gaynalk Bhaya" - Gaynalk Bhaya (4:07)
26. Animal Collective - "Summertime Clothes" - Summertime Clothes (4:34)
27. J. Views & Wild Cub - "Into the Light" - (4:31)
28. Future Islands - "Ran" - The Far Field (3:26)
29. Ought - "Desire" - Room Inside the World (5:19)
30. The Horrors - "Something to Remember Me By" - V (6:40)
31. The National - "I Am Easy to Find" - I Am Easy to Find (4:31)

Total runtime: 139:00

SPOTIFY LINK:

YOUTUBE LINK:

the tourist

rzUi8Iy.jpg

This is some semi-recent music that I like.

A few short notes:

1. I'm good friends with Moody Bear. You should all check out his album when you have a hot minute.
  2. Author is my favorite artist I've discovered in the last five years. You should check out Is It Far Or Is It Close sometime. I mean, you probably won't, but why not throw it out there?
  3. I apologize in advance to those that care that this playlist is predominantly male and white.
  4. Some of these songs helped me get through the hardest things I've ever been through.
  5. Others make me happy and inspire me to make music of my own.
  6. This is the first playlist I've made in awhile where I actually tried to make some things flow. Yes, it has some issues, but I'm not really trying to win. I'm just in it for the fun and hopefully you'll like some of the things on this list.
  7. Through another forum, I'm friends with a guy who recently has become the touring lead guitarist for lovelytheband. He actually has had a big impact on my music production thanks to some of his recording techniques which he has shown me. I tried to tell him they should make "emotion" a single, but he really had no say.
  8. I never thought I'd be making another Desert Island playlist. If this is the last, I hope this is the best Desert Island ever. But I hope it's not the last.
  9. Even though sometimes I've had bad interactions with some or all of you, I love you all and just wanted to let you know that.
  10. If we do another Desert Island next year, one of my songs will for sure be in my list. Self serving? Sure. That alone might be a reason that no one wants to do another one. Ha ha!

Now for the list:

01. Strange Names - "Ricochet" - Use Your Time Wisely [4:16]
02. Family of the Year - "St. Croix" - Loma Vista [3:36]
03. Sports - "Panama" - Naked All The Time [3:19]
04. Panama Wedding - "All of the People" - Parallel Play [3:36]
05. Craft Spells - "After The Moment" - Idle Labor [4:01]
06. St. Lucia - "Elevate" - When The Night [5:08]
07. Walk The Moon - "Aquaman" - Talking Is Hard [4:00]
08. lovelytheband - "emotion" - finding it hard to smile [3:39]
09. The Griswolds - "Beware The Dog" - Be Impressive [3:21]
10. Magic Man - "Paris" - Before the Waves [3:53]
11. The Wombats - "Headspace" - Glitterbug [3:54]
12. Generationals - "Gold Silver Diamond" - Alix [3:25]
13. Penguin Prison - "Calling Out" - Lost In New York [3:59]
14. Mutemath - "Light Up" - Vitals [3:42]
15. Author - "Calm And Clear" - Is It Far Or Is It Close [4:20]
16. Post Animal - "When I Get Home" - The Garden Series [5:23]
17. Tame Impala - "Lost In Yesterday" - The Slow Rush [4:10]
18. BØRNS - "Fool" - Dopamine [3:38]
19. Carly Rae Jepsen - "Everything He Needs" - Dedicated [3:39]
20. Childish Gambino - "Feels Like Summer" - Summer Pack [4:57]
21. Swimming With Bears - "French Girls" - French Girls [3:42]
22. The Colourist - "Little Games" - The Colourist [2:42]
23. Wild Cub - "Thunder Clatter" - Youth [4:31]
24. Small Black - "Canoe" - Limits of Desire [3:17]
25. Wild Nothing - "Only Heather" - Nocturne [3:21]
26. Scuba Dvala - "Soy Boy" - Soy Boy [3:34]
27. The Undercover Dream Lovers - "Soon Enough" - It's All in Your Head [4:02]
28. Deep Sea Diver - "Juno Song" - Always Waiting EP [4:20]
29. Twin Shadow - "Five Seconds" - Confess [4:20]
30. Marble Arch - "Gold" - Children of the Slump [4:51]
31. Alvvays - "Archie, Marry Me" - Alvvays [3:17]
32. Moody Bear - "The Mississippi" - Mood Swings [4:20]

Total Runtime: 2 hours, 6 minutes.

LINK:

namkcuR

The Great Escape

It is a truism that people turn to the warm haze of nostalgia in difficult times. We are living through a difficult time now as this pandemic has forced much of society to shut down, and so it is no surprise that people are craving nostalgia. That is what my playlist(s) is about. It is divided into two parts, intentionally, and extremely, disparate in tone and duration. Part II should feel like an emotional relief after Part I.

Part I: Spring, 2020

rcfs3011yniq2zr6g.jpg

LINK:

This is the (much) shorter of the two parts. Clocking in at 50 minutes, this list is a dark, moody piece that seeks to evoke the fear, anxiety, and uncertainty associated with what is going on. The emotional spectrum here runs from the melancholic(Floyd) to the mournful(Sigur Ros) to the brooding(Ryan Adams, Tomasz Stanko) to the existentially soul-crushing(Nick Cave). With the exception of the Floyd track, all the tracks here are from 2009 and later.

I'm proud of the cohesion of mood here - it's pretty relentlessly bleak.

A couple of notes on some individual tracks...

I've never been good at making lists that offer a large amount of stuff that a lot of people would be hearing for the first time, but I do try to always have at least a few things that could be 'new' discoveries. I think the two tracks that's most likely to be true of here are the Frusciante and Stanko tracks.

Frusciante is a legend - there's a reason it was such big news in the music world when it was announced that he was rejoining RHCP. His solo work, however, is eclectic, often far removed from what he's done with RHCP, and largely unknown to a lot of people(most people, probably). This is a track called "Cinch", and the whole thing is basically a guitar solo with a synthesizer/drum machine backdrop. It is captivating, evocative, beautifully melancholic imo. He's done several tracks like this, but this was the one that fit best in terms of mood and length.

I admittedly don't know much at all about Tomasz Stanko, but this jazz piece, "Terminal 7", was used as one of the themes of the U.S. TV series "Homeland" in its earlier seasons. I liked it so much watching the show that I looked it up to find out what it was. It's stuck with me for years, and it fit this list like a glove. It's just this great, brooding, ominous jazz number.

You're probably familiar with the rest, but briefly:

Everyday Life is imo the best album Coldplay have put out, maybe since Rush Of Blood. "When I Need A Friend" closes the first part of the album, but I felt it was a fitting opener here. "Holy, holy, god defend/shield me, show me/when I need a friend". Also, I loved the segue with the wave sounds at the end going into the wave sounds at the beginning of...

Marooned is one of the highlights of the last Gilmour-led era of Pink Floyd. This is just Gilmour being Gilmour, and it's so good.

From the first time I heard it, I always thought "Varuo" was one of the most beautiful Sigur Ros tracks.

I'm bummed about what happened with Ryan Adams, but I hope we can separate art from artists. "I Just Might" is my favorite track of his. It has this stop-start, almost manic, kinetic energy to it that just builds and builds. It kind of reminds me of U2's "Exit" in the way. There aren't all that many lyrics in this list, but here they seem fitting: "Everything is broken in my mind/ain't no place to run/ain't no place to hide/don't wanna lose control/baby I just might".

I've only recently finally gotten into Nick Cave, but the whole time I was making this list, I felt like "Hollywood" would be a perfect way to end. Absolutely devastating in its atmosphere and delivery, and the lyrics are apt: "It's a long way to find/peace of mind/peace of mind"; "And I'm just waiting now, for my time to come"; "Everybody's losing someone".

1. Coldplay - "When I Need A Friend" - Everyday Life - 2019 (2:35)
2. Pink Floyd - "Marooned" - The Division Bell - 1994 (5:30)
3. John Frusciante - "Cinch" - Enclosure - 2014 (6:26)
4. Royksopp - "Coup De Grace" - The Inevitable End - 2014 (3:20)
5. Sigur Ros - "Varuo" - Valtari - 2012 (6:37)
6. Thom Yorke - "Open Again" - Suspiria(Music for the Luca Guadagnino Film) - 2018 (2:50)
7. Ryan Adams - "I Just Might" - Ryan Adams - 2014 (3:29)
8. Tomasz Stanko Quintet - "Terminal 7" - Dark Eyes - 2009 (5:30)
9. Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - "Hollywood" - Ghosteen - 2019 (14:12)
Total: 50:29

Part II: Summer, The Good Old Days

z8047b6nc0pjhvq6g.jpg

LINK: DIXI-2

So, after the heaviness of part I, we make the great escape into nostalgia.

But nostalgia can mean different things to different people, so I must define what nostalgia meant to me as I put this list together. It might simply look like a 90s list, but it's not just that. I had a very specific idea in mind. The 90s are often remembered as a peaceful, happy time, at least in the U.S. and the west. We talk about the "Clinton era optimism", the booming post-Cold War economy as the world wide web was born, the freshness of the alternative rock and other music scenes, the excitement of the big technological advances that were being made at breakneck speed, etc. It is remembered as a time of optimism, prosperity, and peace.

Now, of course the 90s weren't a perfect utopia of positivity. Of course bad stuff happened. There's no decade where bad shit didn't happen. This is the nature of nostalgia, to romanticize the good and forget about the bad.

So I've attempted to create a list that captures the spirit of that happy, optimistic, fresh, peaceful period of time that a lot of us grew up in - as its nostalgically remembered - between the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 and 9/11 in 2001(with an extra year added on either side because I wanted to use certain songs) - that romanticizes said period of time, but that is also self-aware about what it is. I've bookended it with two tracks that basically spell it out.

Fastball was one of the better of all the pop-rock acts that made it big in the mid-late 90s, having big success with the singles "The Way" and "Outta My Head". This list starts with a deeper cut from the same album - "G.O.D. (Good Old Days)". The very first lyric of the song, and therefore the list, is "I've been thinking 'bout the good old days/decorated in a candy glaze", which is essentially implying memories viewed through rose-colored glasses.

On the other end, the list closes with "The Sunscreen Song", a surprise spoken-word hit from the late 90s that ends, and thus ends the list, by indirectly describing nostalgia as "a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth".

Using these two tracks as a sort of prologue and epilogue works, I think, to place this "Part II" in the context of the larger two-part work.

In between prologue and epilogue, the edict I gave myself was that all of the songs must be musically upbeat, 'bright', warm, breezy - in order to reflect the happy, optimistic 90s of nostalgia - and with only a few exceptions, I think I did a good job adhering to that. Lyrically, some songs fit the theme, but it was more important to me that they all fit with the theme, and together, musically.

I hadn't intended it from the start, but I ended up loosely structuring this trip through this time period as one sunny day, divided into several sections as denoted by dotted lines on the tracklisting below.

Picture a warm, sunny summer day in one of the last years of this time period, sometime between 1999 and 2001. A group of, say, 21-22 year olds who are about to graduate college. They go out to spend the day together at the beach. They don't know it, but they're nearing the end of an era. Columbine happened in 1999, introducing the notion of public mass shootings into the American psyche. The dot-com bubble will soon burst. Y2K panic is rising. And on a sunny Tuesday in September 2001, an unimaginable horror will befall the country. But for now, they're just having a good time and enjoying their youth in a time of prosperity.

The first section - tracks 2-10 - represents driving down the highway to the beach on this beautiful day. You can imagine singing along to these tracks with the windows rolled down.

This is probably the most lyrically relevant section to the theme of nostalgia.

I started with "The Bends" because it's a big, warm, feel-good way to start, and yes, because "I wish it was the 60s" loosely fits.

In "In My Tree", Eddie Vedder blissfully says "Up here in my tree/newspapers meant enough to me/no more crowbars to my head/I'm trading stories with the leaves instead", drawing a picture of a temporary escape from reality, which jives here. Later, he states "Had my eyes peeled both wide open/and I got a glimpse/of my innocence". Isn't that often what we're searching for in nostalgia?

Petty's "Into The Great Wide Open" is directly about looking back on a time when "the future was wide open".

When it comes to Barenaked Ladies, I've always been partial to Steven Page fare - "Brian Wilson", "It's All Been Done", and this track "The Old Apartment", among them. Here Page belts out "Only memories/fading memories/blending into dull tableaux/I want them back(this is where we used to live)".

Next are a couple of, what you might term one-hit-wonders. Del Amitri's "Roll To Me" is a breezy earworm, and Tal Bachman's "She's So High" is belter.

Few songs sound more like a highway drive than "Learn To Fly".

I know most of you probably aren't psyched to see Lit here. Give it a chance. I haven't included any of the singles they had back then - "My Own Worst Enemy", "Ziplock", "Miserable" - but rather a deep cut from the same album called "Lovely Day". It's a sunny song with sweet harmonies in the chorus. I'm sure this wasn't the intention of the lyric, but I feel like "It's another world/but it's something more than ordinary/such a lovely day/and it's nothing more than ordinary" fits very well here, as it could easily describe the duality of nostalgia.

The section concludes with "Torn". This is one track I need to explain the inclusion of in depth. Natalie Imbruglia's version was obviously one of the biggest pop singles of the 90s, but I feel like a lot of people don't know that it was a cover. As the story goes, the LA-based band Edna Swap, led by singer-songwriter Anne Previn, wrote the song in 1993. The lyrics are Previn's, presumably based on her own experiences. They first gave the song to the Danish singer Lis Sorenson, who recorded it that year in her own language. You can find it on YT.

Edna Swap recorded it themselves for their debut self-titled album in 1995. Evidently this album didn't get a 'wide' release, as Wiki states that their follow-up album in 1997, "Wacko Magento" was their first wide-release. They re-recorded the song for that album, and that is what is included on this list. Around the same time, they had given the song to Imbruglia, apparently never thinking it would become what it became. "Torn" was supposed to be the second single from "Wacko Magento", but before that could happen, Imbruglia's version had been released and become huge, so they aborted that plan.

Like I said in part one, I've never been good at making lists with lots of new discoveries for people, but I'm hopeful this might be new for some of you. It's a very different performance from Imbruglia's. Imbruglia's version is a polished, pretty pop song with a timeless sound. This version is a pained, raw, rock song that sounds unmistakably 90s. There is something poignant, imo, about hearing it sung by the woman who wrote it, whose name hardly anyone knows. To be honest, lyrically it has nothing to do with the theme, and musically, it's not bright, but it helps the first section flow into the second section better, and I wanted to include it.

The second section - tracks 11-17 - represents arriving at the beach, swimming, surfing, kicking a ball around, whatever, just being active and having fun.

It is also, in a micro sense, an attempt to capture the energy of the alternative rock thing when it was first becoming huge, between 1988 and 1994, when it was still alternative but becoming mainstream, before the saturation started in the mid-90s. It's a bit harder-edged than the first section.

Lyrically, these tracks have little to nothing to do with any of the themes of the list - though "I love you/swim through me/good feelings/come to me" from then RHCP deep cut "The Greeting Song" does a good job of capturing the vibe I'm going for - but musically they all fit.

I didn't want to use any of the many ubiquitous Nirvana tracks, so I went with "About A Girl". Not nearly as overexposed as many of the Nevermind and In Utero tracks, but imo it's one of the best songs Cobain ever wrote, imo

I'm afraid I resorted to a bunch of obvious choices in the rest of the section though. "Cherub Rock" is an obvious SP choice, and one that others have used before, but it was too good a fit to ignore. "Kenneth" is also a perhaps too-obvious R.E.M. choice, but it fit the bill. Same for "She Don't Use Jelly", though I'm personally getting into it for the first time(Soft Bulletin/Yoshimi-era FL fan here). And same for Cannonball.

The Pixies track is from 1988, so before the Berlin Wall fell, but they were ahead of their time anyway. This functions as a good bridge into the next section.

The third section - tracks 18-23 - represents chilling later in the afternoon, sunbathing, having a drink, making conversation, enjoying the scenery, etc.

Accordingly, these tracks are mellower in nature, in some cases mildly psychedelic.

It starts with Blind Melon's musically neo-hippy-flavored "No Rain" - this sunny musical disposition overrides the fact that it is lyrically about depression - and Neutral Milk Hotel's buoyant and poetic title track of their 1998 opus. "But for now we are young/let us lay in the sun/and count every beautiful thing we can see" captures the spirit of this list as well as any lyric in it.

"Island In The Sun" is the only track here that I've used before. That was in a mini-DI though - the Best Of 2000s - so this is the first time I'm using it in a full DI. Also, it's one of two tracks here released post-90s. It was recorded in late 2000 and released in the Spring of 2001.

Sheryl Crow's "Soak Up The Sun" is even later than that, released post 9/11 in Spring 2002, but Wiki says the album was recorded in 2001-2002, so I'm willing to bet the song was at least written before 9/11. At least that's what I'm telling myself to justify its inclusion.

I admittedly don't have a very deep knowledge of Stone Temple Pilots' catalogue, but I've always thought that "Sour Girl" was one of those perfect pop songs; beautiful harmonies, warm, psychedelic, simple, catchy.

Jennifer Paige's "Crush" was her only hit. It was all over the place in 1998, but if you weren't old enough or in the right place then, it's possible you may have missed it. I always liked her sultry vocal.

The final section - tracks 24-27 - represents the early evening, and they're just partying now, dancing and drinking on the beach as the sun starts going down on this day.

I'm not a huge Madonna fan, but I've always liked "Beautiful Stranger" a lot. Its 60s pastiche makes it feel right at home on a list about nostalgia.

"Then The Morning Comes" continues the 60s pastiche theme. I know Smashmouth gets made fun of, but I think they had a small handful of genuinely fun singles. I at least only went with their third most well-known single instead of either of the two big ones that you've heard too many times. Lyrically it fits; "the end is near" because the end of the list is literally near; "then the morning comes" because this nostalgia trip is coming to an end and the "morning" of real life is coming.

"Steal My Sunshine" was 100% not in my head when I started making this list - I had not listened to it or even thought about it for probably 20 years, but I was trying to think of all the 'sunny' 90s songs I could, and it popped in my head like a long-forgotten memory. As a one-hit wonder that embodies so much of what this list is about, I couldn't resist it.

"Loaded" is an absolute classic, and I loved the idea of it being the big finale, like the soundtrack of these kids just dancing the night away. "We're gonna have a good time/we're gonna have a party".

As I said before, closing with "Everybody's Free(To Wear Sunscreen)" as an epilogue seemed apt. There's some good life advice there, the closing stanza about nostalgia ties the whole thing together nicely, and the bit about how the real problems in life are apt to be the kind that "blindside you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday" struck a chord, because covid has blindsided all of us. The track is like a bridge back to the reality that part I of my list represented.

I have written far too much here, but I really wanted to explain myself, because I know this Part II of my list isn't going to be for everybody. Some of you are probably seeing Lit and Smashmouth and Len and rolling your eyes. I'm more concerned about the list working as a whole as opposed to everyone loving every single track.

I hope at least some of you get something from it.

1. Fastball - "G.O.D. (Good Old Days)" - All The Pain Money Can Buy - 1998 (3:31)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Radiohead - "The Bends" - The Bends - 1995 (4:06)
3. Pearl Jam - "In My Tree" - No Code - 1996 (3:59)
4. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "Into The Great Wide Open" - Into The Great Wide Open - 1991 (3:43)
5. Barenaked Ladies - "The Old Apartment(Radio Remix)" - The Old Apartment Single - 1997 (3:34)
6. Del Amitri - "Roll To Me" - Twisted - 1995 (2:12)
7. Tal Bachman - "She's So High" - Tal Bachman - 1999 (3:45)
8. Foo Fighters - "Learn To Fly" - There Is Nothing Left To Lose - 1999 (3:55)
9. Lit - "Lovely Day" - A Place In The Sun - 1999 (4:07)
10. Edna Swap - "Torn" - Wacko Magneto - 1997 (3:59)
11. Nirvana - "About A Girl" - Bleach - 1989 (2:48)
12. R.E.M. - "What's The Frequency, Kenneth?" - Monster - 1994 (4:00)
13. Smashing Pumpkins - "Cherub Rock" - Siamese Dream - 1993 (4:58)
14. Flaming Lips - "She Don't Use Jelly" - Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 - 2018(originally 1993) (3:20)
15. Red Hot Chili Peppers - "The Greeting Song" - Blood Sugar Sex Magik - 1991 (3:14)
16. Breeders - "Cannonball" - Last Splash - 1993 (3:34)
17. Pixies - "Where Is My Mind" - Surfer Rosa - 1988 (3:57)
18. Blind Melon - "No Rain" - Blind Melon - 1992 (3:37)
19. Neutral Milk Hotel - "In The Aeroplane Under The Sea" - In The Aeroplane Under The Sea - 1998 (3:22)
20. Sheryl Crow - "Soak Up The Sun" - C'Mon C'Mon - 2002 (4:52)
21. Weezer - "Island In The Sun" - The Green Album - 2001 (3:20)
22. Stone Temple Pilots - "Sour Girl" - No. 4 - 1999 (4:16)
23. Jennifer Paige - "Crush" - Jennifer Paige - 1998 (3:20)
24. Madonna - "Beautiful Stranger" - Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me: Music from the Motion Picture - 1999 (4:22)
25. Smashmouth - "Then The Morning Comes" - Astro Lounge - 1999 (3:02)
26. L.E.N. - "Steal My Sunshine" - L.E.N. - 1999 (4:26)
27. Primal Scream - "Loaded" - Screamadelica - 1991 (7:03)
28. Baz Luhrmann(feat. Lee Perry delivering the speech) - "Everybody's Free(To Wear Sunscreen)" AKA "The Sunscreen Song" - Everybody's Free(To Wear Sunscreen) - 1997 (5:09)

Total:1:49:31 / 109:31

Grand Total: 160:00

GirlsAloudFan

z2mFWPO.jpg

A Bunch of Good Songs

1. The Cure - "Catch - 2006 Remaster" - Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me - (2:44)
2. R.E.M. - "Fall On Me - 2011 Remaster" - Lifes Rich Pageant (Deluxe Edition) - (2:50)
3. Big Star - "September Gurls" - Radio CIty - (2:48)
4. XTC - "Earn Enough For Us - Remastered 2001" - Skylarking (2:54)
5. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - "Listen To Her Heart" - The Best of Everything - (3:02)
6. Spoon - "Sister Jack" - Gimme Fiction (2015 Remaster) - (3:35)
7. The New Pornographers - "Mass Romantic" - Mass Romantic (Remastered) - (4:04)
8. Blondie - "Hanging On The Telephone" - Parallel Lines - (2:25)
9. Prince - "Starfish and Coffee" - Sing "O" The Times - (2:51)
10. Squeeze - "Up The Junction" - Cool Cats - (3:11)
11. Blur - "Parklife - 2012 Remaster" - Parklife (Special Edition) - (3:05)
12. Arctic Monkeys - "Black Treacle" - Suck It And See - (3:37)
13. Elvis Costello and the Attractions - "Accidents Will Happen" - Armed Forces - (3:01)
14. The Replacements - "Alex Chilton - 2008 Remaster" - Pleased To Meet Me (Expanded Edition) - (3:14)
15. The Clash - "Stay Free - Remastered" - Give 'Em Enough Rope (Remastered) - (3:41)
16. Manic Street Preachers - "Enola/Alone - Remastered Version" - Everything Must Go 10th Anniversary Edition - (4:08)
17. Brian Eno - "Needles In The Camel's Eye - 2004 Digital Remaster" - Here Come The Warm Jets - (3:11)
18. David Bowie - "Ziggy Stardust - 2012 Remaster" - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (2012 Remaster) - (3:14)
19. The Who - "The Seeker - Edit" - Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy - (3:10)
20. The 13th Floor Elevators - "You're Gonna Miss Me (2008 Remastered Original Mono LP Version)" - The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators (2008 Remaster) - (2:27)
21. Buzzcocks - "Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Should'nt've?) - 1996 Remastered Version" - Love Bites - (2:44)
22. The White Stripes - "Fell In Love With A Girl" - White Blood Cells - (1:50)
23. The Dead Milkmen - "Punk Rock Girl" - Beelzebubba - (2:38)
24. Camper Van Beethoven - "Take the Skinheads Bowling" - Telephone Free Landslide Victory - (2:38)
25. Ramones - "Needles and Pins - 2002 Remaster" - Road to Ruin (Expanded 2005 Remaster) - (2:22)
26. The Rolling Stones - "Tumbling Dice" - Exile On Main Street (2010 Re-Mastered) - (3:46)
27. Stevie Wonder - "We Can Work It Out" - Signed, Sealed And Delivered - (3:20)
28. The Beatles - "The Ballad Of John And Yoko - Remastered 2015" - 1 (Remastered) - (2:59)
29. ABBA - "Ring Ring - English Version" - Ring Ring - Deluxe Edition - (3:05)
30. Bruce Springsteen - "Born to Run" - Born To Run - (4:30)

Total Runtime: 92 minutes

LINK: A Bunch of Good Songs

:hyper:

I didn't write much when submitting my list but may post some additional thoughts here. For now, I'll just say: shoutout to Le Tigre for, in the 1990s, recognizing Giuliani for the asshole he has always been.

And sorry for being overindulgent, but I'll also leave a link to my leftovers playlist in case anyone is interested. I tried to make flow as well as possible. This has a lot of stuff I wish I had placed in the original one (with many regrets a couple of weeks later). I only figured that Bowie song would work as a closer after submitting, unfortunately: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1jcVXJpJEXNGTWmUFxFO00?si=O4eCCiEtS7KNOulWY5GwwA

Last edited:
If we could edit tracks and enforce cross fades, borrowing from namkcuR’s intro, I feel like When I Need a Friend could lay you right into Streets for some bliss.

I think there are only two songs on GAF's list that I hadn't already heard (Dead Milkmen, ABBA), but this is the coziest listen ever for me. I'm out doing laundry and this is shit I already would have queued up. These songs have a lot of shared DNA so they all sound good together, but the Listen to Her Heart/Sister Jack transition was perfect and the Hanging on the Telephone/Starfish and Coffee transition was very clever.

Overall, it reminded me a lot of my DI9 Freedom Rock list, only it didn't have a folk rock stretch at the end. I mean that as a compliment because that was one of my favorite lists I ever submitted and this one is also a blast.

It had a Big Star song AND a song about Alex Chilton on it. Of course I liked it.

I think there are only two songs on GAF's list that I hadn't already heard (Dead Milkmen, ABBA), but this is the coziest listen ever for me. I'm out doing laundry and this is shit I already would have queued up. These songs have a lot of shared DNA so they all sound good together, but the Listen to Her Heart/Sister Jack transition was perfect and the Hanging on the Telephone/Starfish and Coffee transition was very clever.

Overall, it reminded me a lot of my DI9 Freedom Rock list, only it didn't have a folk rock stretch at the end. I mean that as a compliment because that was one of my favorite lists I ever submitted and this one is also a blast.

It had a Big Star song AND a song about Alex Chilton on it. Of course I liked it.
Thank you, my good sir. Glad you liked it.

Gump, I loved loved loved this playlist! So far this is the list that best matches my own personal taste.

So many great tunes, and you even managed to pick my favorite tune by a few different artists. Electric Relaxation is my favorite Tribe song, Brooklyn Baby is my favorite Lana song, and NYC is my favorite Interpol song. Also, Rockaway Beach is one of the most joyous of all Ramones tracks. And you closed the list with an early Bruce track! Great minds think alike.

Favorites that I'd never heard before were the Le Tigre track and the Eleanor Friedberger track.

Good shit.

Starting off with Gump's list, I'm excited to hear this one. And a great way to start things off!

This is like the coastal inverse of my list, more than I expected.

Also, my neighbor LOVES to listen to music loudly during the day, and yesterday he was blasting Living For The City while he was working on his motorcycle while I was in the front yard playing with my daughter. It was a nice little moment and hearing the song again has made me realize I'm probably always going to associate it with that now.

Gump, I loved loved loved this playlist! So far this is the list that best matches my own personal taste.

So many great tunes, and you even managed to pick my favorite tune by a few different artists. Electric Relaxation is my favorite Tribe song, Brooklyn Baby is my favorite Lana song, and NYC is my favorite Interpol song. Also, Rockaway Beach is one of the most joyous of all Ramones tracks. And you closed the list with an early Bruce track! Great minds think alike.

Favorites that I'd never heard before were the Le Tigre track and the Eleanor Friedberger track.

Good shit.

Thanks a lot, dude. I appreciate it. And absolutely, our lists have a ton in common. I’m glad you enjoyed the Eleanor Friedberger song. Her whole debut album is really good, and she used to live around the neighborhood. I really that Lana track, the chorus in particular (I wasn’t sure whether to include this one or Diet Mountain Drew, but felt Brooklyn, Baby worked better).

I was coming here to post about your list, in fact, which I absolutely loved. It was such a cool listen. I started it when I went out this morning - it's the hottest day of the year here, and your list was the perfect soundtrack.

That stretch from Tom Petty through Prince through Blur made me so happy. And almost immediately followed by a great Elvis Costello track that I didn’t know, then Alex Chilton (I might have gotten into The Replacements years ago at your recommendation here). Fell In Love with a Girl is probably my favorite White Stripes song.

The end sequence was really fun. I really liked the idea of putting Stevie Wonder’s cover next to The Ballad of John and Yoko. That ABBA song in particular was such a surprise - I don’t think I know more than their hits. Plus, closing with a Bruce song. Cheers to that.

Overall, I feel like your list is the sound of a record shop, in the best possible way. It’s fun, refreshing, and it rocked. I could have had another couple of hours of this music, easily.

Ashley is next - really excited about this group, guys.

Last edited:
Oh Lord, I definitely know one of the billion covers of "Downtown Train." Hearing it with Waits singing makes it sound like a parody. I know that's the original, I'm just not used to this at all.

Oh Lord, I definitely know one of the billion covers of "Downtown Train." Hearing it with Waits singing makes it sound like a parody. I know that's the original, I'm just not used to this at all.

Lots of train references in this playlist, I'm afraid!

Gump your playlist was excellent and while I was familiar with most that was on there it was pretty much consistent with me enjoying every song you chose, and while I have only ever briefly been through New York the once I definitely got the sense of the city from the playlist.

Clifford Brown> Beastie Boys worked really well I thought, it was a strong opening combo, and I enjoyed the strong Hip Hop opening section it really set the vibe for the whole whole playlist.

Disc 2 was for me my favourite part with just lots of amazing selections, Patti Smith, St Vincent, Tom Waits I could go on, I love them all. I am love me some Interpol so it was cool to hear NYC in there and lastly I have never been a big fan of the boss but that was a great closer and a song I hadn't heard before, I thought it was quite beautiful.

Overall the flow was excellent on the respective discs and it was just the right length for me, it is a playlist I will be returning to!

Alright, LN7, you're up.

On paper, this should probably be my favorite playlist, in terms of artist/song selection. I'm very curious to see how EPAA goes into This River Is Wild, though, hahah.

Ruckman: I listened to this in two parts over the last two days. I have to say about the first disc, it was brave using Hollywood in there. The album it comes from is such a singular, uniform experience that it's tough to hear any of those songs outside of its context. But the song itself is riveting and a fitting document of this moment in time.

The second disc was a lot of fun. The nostalgia factor was stronger than I thought it would be for me. The Barenaked Ladies track in particular - I randomly had that CD from one of those record clubs or something, and because I only had a handful of albums at that point, I listened to it over and over again. Same with What's the Frequency, Kenneth - Monster will always have a special place for me as a formative album. I think it's great on its own merits, but also because it was one of the first albums I saved up to buy on my own.

I wonder how others will feel about this, but I thought the closing track was an oddly effective way to end the list. I found myself actually listening hard to everything that guy said, even though pretty much all of it was a cliche lol.

I imagine we are about the same age, and for anyone else in that range, this playlist is almost certain to inspire nostalgia.

Alright, LN7, you're up.

On paper, this should probably be my favorite playlist, in terms of artist/song selection. I'm very curious to see how EPAA goes into This River Is Wild, though, hahah.

I’ve had the impression for a while that you’re probably the highest match in terms of tastes.

There’s a story behind each of those songs! Even the awkward transitions haha.

I’ve had the impression for a while that you’re probably the highest match in terms of tastes.

There’s a story behind each of those songs! Even the awkward transitions haha.

For the most part, outside of that one, I thought that the transitions were pretty much fine. That actually comes out of the one "failing" this list has for me and that's that the sound is too samey. These are a lot of fairly similar artists and for an extended period of time.

With that being said, I already knew going in I love most of these songs, so of course I had a GREAT time listening to it. The only song I think I didn't like, which took me by surprise, was the Simple Minds track .

I'd definitely like to hear a bit more about your stories behind the songs, I was a little surprised by how short your write-up ended up being. But if it's something you'd rather keep private, I of course understand!

Listened to the first half of gump’s list last night. Copy and pasting my thoughts from Apple Notes:

Starting group 2 with gump.

Gonna try my best to keep my commenting style up, but I’m listening to this while cooking dinner, so it may be shorter.

Also, this may be posted long after listening to this part because I’m just typing my thoughts into Apple Notes right now because the interference app loses whatever I type when it refreshes... which is often!

The A Train is definitely outside of my wheelhouse but my initial response is that it makes me want to watch The Conversation again. With The Beastie Boys, I always find myself enjoying them in small doses. Not sure I would enjoy myself over the course of a whole album, but single songs I always find myself enjoying and this is no different. Never heard it before. And I think my only experience with Wu-Tang Clan has been desert islands. Honestly not my favorite hip hop but I don’t dislike it either. The same, in its entirety, could be said about A Tribe Called Quest. Stevie Wonder, for whatever reason, is one of those artists that I always kinda dread when I see him coming up in a playlist. And yet every darn time I find myself bopping my head and tapping my foot. So maybe I need to investigate him further. I think it’s that clavi that he uses in some of his songs. Bobby Womack, heck yeah! Great stuff!

Psycho Killer is an absolute classic and I love it. Second song by Talking Heads in DI, and definitely keeps me feeling like I need to check them out further. And of course I’m Waiting For The Man is a classic. Those two songs work perfect together. Never heard of Le Tigre before. Nice lo-fi stuff - kinda reminds me of Cherry Bomb. The duo of New York Dolls and Ramones was about exactly what I expected, though I’m not a big fan of that sound (never really have been). Hadn’t heard that song by Yeah Yeah Yeahs but I liked it. And then there was silence.

Kicked things off for Group 2 this weekend with gump's list as well.

- I immensely loved this playlist. It did a wonderful job reflecting my enthusiasm, occasional frustration, but ultimate love for New York.
- This started with another fantastic job at taking a song from a completely different era and making it connect to something more modern. That little radio announcement that starts the Beastie Boys track really smoothed out the transition from “Take the A Train.”
- “An Open Letter To New York” is a great song, but I laugh at how upbeat and excited they sound mentioning the LIE & BQE, the two most hated roads in the entire city.
- What else can be said about Wu-Tang and A Tribe Called Quest? Classic.
- The run from Stevie Wonder to Le Tigre is fantastic. I knew all the tracks except the last one but that didn’t stop them from being just as enjoyable. “My My Metrocard” was a solid tune as well. I’m all for any take-down of Giuliani.
- I don’t like the New York Dolls and this song didn’t change my mind.
- Never heard that Yeah Yeah Yeahs song before, but it was great. They really could do no wrong during the Fever to Tell era.
- That Patti Smith was intriguing – never really been into her but I like the jazzy piano over her stream-of-consciousness. The Iggy Pop song didn’t leave much of an impression.
- You can’t go wrong with either Tom Waits or Joni Mitchell. Then “Venus” was a great way to amp up the energy a bit again.
- So what’s everyone’s verdict now on MASSEDUCTION? For me, it’s right below Strange Mercy for my favorite St. Vincent record. And I think “New York” is a gorgeous, brilliant song.
- “NYC” is my favorite Interpol song, so loved hearing that. Plus, it worked well going into the sublime, underrated “Geese of Beverly Road.”
- The only time I’ve seen Springsteen live so far was at Giants Stadium, and he opened with “New York City Serenade.” Even from my seats up in the rafters, that whole concert was an electric experience. Little did I know he would go on to play for more than four hours, which I think was tied for his longest show ever at the time. Such an unforgettable show.
- As a fellow New Yorker, I really loved this ode to the city through its varied artists and moods. The list didn’t shy away from showing the dark sides of New York, but it still felt celebratory and accepting of its history, its struggles and its resolve. This is another one I can see myself going back to often.

GAF, fucking stellar job man. This playlist was an absolute fucking blast. I am writing this as Born to Run plays out. I am a huge advocate of closing playlists with massive bangers, and Born to Run works a treat.

Overall, this list does feel quite familiar... which is something that I think in past DIs was frowned upon, imo. Maybe because we were doing them so often and a lot of our (B&C peeps) tastes overlap, so making lists with stuff a lot of people had heard was kinda looked down upon.

A shame, because even though I was familiar with about a third of the list, it was just an absolute blast to listen to. Really reminded me how much I love classic rock. The flow and sequencing was impeccable throughout (literally the only thing that kinda stuck out was 13th Floor > Buzzcocks, but also, the former reminded me of OutKast's song 13th Floor / Elevators, so), and unlike a few of the lists from the first group, never at any stage petered out for me. The only part of the list that I didn't thoroughly enjoy was the first 15 or so minutes. From Spoon onwards the energy really kept up throughout, which is pretty impressive given the sound of it is reasonably homogenous, and I think this is a good example of a list that benefits from brevity rather than 160 fucking minutes.

Spoon kick arse, I really only know They Want My Soul however, though I've spun a few other records of theirs in the past. I loved the use of some really super well-known songs, they helped keep the vibe up too, like the Blondie track. Starfish and Coffee is fantastic, obvs.

You get MAJOR, major points from me for using a track from Suck it and See. I fucking adore that album, I really do seem to be in the minority when it comes to Arctic Monkeys, as of what I've heard, I only really like that album & the most recent one.

I'd not heard the Elvis Costello track, but it immediately reminded me of a song I've heard a million time with his vocals that go "rather be anywhere else than here toooooodddddaaaaaayyyyyyy", one of those songs you hear but actually never know the artist or song title, so that made me figure out that that song is called "Oliver's Army", so thank you for that. I'm sure this is a pretty classic Friggin' Cobbler. That takes me back. Been a while.

I'm sure I've heard that Replacements song before, but that was fire, as was the Clash song - some very fitting lyrics in that song given the current environment we're living in - I also loved the Manic Street Preachers song, and the Eno track, and of course Ziggy Stardust, this was a really great run of songs. Buzzcocks track slapped, it sounded very modern in terms of its production, I could've been fooled for thinking it was a newer song... but I gave it some thought and realised I was thinking of a newer song... The Rat by The Walkmen is like, nearly identical. Woah. Really enjoyed the lyrics in Taking Skinheads Bowling, Tumbling Dice is stunning of course, I had no idea Ballad of John & Yoko was by The Beatles, I also didn't know what that song was called or who it was by, another one this list, haha. Fine enough. Ring Ring into Born to Run was so great... there is what I am going to guess is a either glockenspiel, organs or guitar in Ring Ring that fits melodically very well with Born to Run's... guitar/organs/sax/glockenspiel (someone who knows music tell me what I'm trying to say). And Born to Run is just so fucking good. I will never, ever, ever fucking tire of that song.

Stellar job, m8!

Gump your playlist was excellent and while I was familiar with most that was on there it was pretty much consistent with me enjoying every song you chose, and while I have only ever briefly been through New York the once I definitely got the sense of the city from the playlist.

Clifford Brown> Beastie Boys worked really well I thought, it was a strong opening combo, and I enjoyed the strong Hip Hop opening section it really set the vibe for the whole whole playlist.

Disc 2 was for me my favourite part with just lots of amazing selections, Patti Smith, St Vincent, Tom Waits I could go on, I love them all. I am love me some Interpol so it was cool to hear NYC in there and lastly I have never been a big fan of the boss but that was a great closer and a song I hadn't heard before, I thought it was quite beautiful.

Overall the flow was excellent on the respective discs and it was just the right length for me, it is a playlist I will be returning to!

Thanks a lot, LJT. Really glad you enjoyed it despite being familiar with most of it (given the artists I picked I think most people will know the songs, hopefully they take a different meaning in the context of the list.

Interpol's NYC is the one song here that I had used before, perhaps in my first DI participation a long time ago. It's such a pretty song. I like a lot of their later work, but Turn On the Bright Lights will not be surpassed as far as I'm concerned.

I have a similar feeling to you re. Bruce. I like the first few albums, but he's not an artist I go back to often. But I felt this worked well as a closer, especially with the callback to the opener.

Thanks again, appreciate your comments!

Oh shout out for silent track:wink:

Ha. I thought that was the most elegant solution to separate the two discs... You'd be surprised at how many silent tracks appear on Spotify.

Kicked things off for Group 2 this weekend with gump's list as well.

- I immensely loved this playlist. It did a wonderful job reflecting my enthusiasm, occasional frustration, but ultimate love for New York.
- This started with another fantastic job at taking a song from a completely different era and making it connect to something more modern. That little radio announcement that starts the Beastie Boys track really smoothed out the transition from “Take the A Train.”
- “An Open Letter To New York” is a great song, but I laugh at how upbeat and excited they sound mentioning the LIE & BQE, the two most hated roads in the entire city.
- What else can be said about Wu-Tang and A Tribe Called Quest? Classic.
- The run from Stevie Wonder to Le Tigre is fantastic. I knew all the tracks except the last one but that didn’t stop them from being just as enjoyable. “My My Metrocard” was a solid tune as well. I’m all for any take-down of Giuliani.
- I don’t like the New York Dolls and this song didn’t change my mind.
- Never heard that Yeah Yeah Yeahs song before, but it was great. They really could do no wrong during the Fever to Tell era.
- That Patti Smith was intriguing – never really been into her but I like the jazzy piano over her stream-of-consciousness. The Iggy Pop song didn’t leave much of an impression.
- You can’t go wrong with either Tom Waits or Joni Mitchell. Then “Venus” was a great way to amp up the energy a bit again.
- So what’s everyone’s verdict now on MASSEDUCTION? For me, it’s right below Strange Mercy for my favorite St. Vincent record. And I think “New York” is a gorgeous, brilliant song.
- “NYC” is my favorite Interpol song, so loved hearing that. Plus, it worked well going into the sublime, underrated “Geese of Beverly Road.”
- The only time I’ve seen Springsteen live so far was at Giants Stadium, and he opened with “New York City Serenade.” Even from my seats up in the rafters, that whole concert was an electric experience. Little did I know he would go on to play for more than four hours, which I think was tied for his longest show ever at the time. Such an unforgettable show.
- As a fellow New Yorker, I really loved this ode to the city through its varied artists and moods. The list didn’t shy away from showing the dark sides of New York, but it still felt celebratory and accepting of its history, its struggles and its resolve. This is another one I can see myself going back to often.

Thanks, man. I was looking forward to your comments as a fellow New Yorker. I'm glad you enjoyed it and thought it was generally representative of the city. There is so much music about NYC that it's hard to pick your favorites. And I agree with you - not all of it is celebratory or blind to the city's history (in fact the more critical stuff tends to resonate more with me).

Choosing the best St Vincent album is so hard, given her consistency. Of late, I am gravitating more and more towards Actor, which is kind of unconventional but that album resonates a lot with me. It is not as fully accomplished as her later work, but I think it may have more heart and sincerity. It also resonates for personal reasons - it was released about a month before I moved here, and I listened to it nonstop at the time. Out of the post-Actor albums I would say right now I would have Strange Mercy followed by Masseduction and the Self-Titled. So hard.

I'm glad the opening duo is working, I was curious how people would feel about that. It took me a while to find a version of Take the A Train that works. Max Roach's drumming is so good in this one, and so modern, that I felt the sequencing was fine.

Anyways, thanks again for your thoughtful comments. Really appreciate it.

Of late, I am gravitating more and more towards Actor, which is kind of unconventional but that album resonates a lot with me. It is not as fully accomplished as her later work, but I think it may have more heart and sincerity. It also resonates for personal reasons - it was released about a month before I moved here, and I listened to it nonstop at the time.

Fully agree that Actor is brilliant. It was released right around the time I started listening to St. Vincent and I became obsessed with that record. It was my favorite album of that year by far. I think I saw her like three times during the Actor tour.

Interestingly, looking back on it now, Actor marked a shift in my tastes a bit. Whereas my U2 fandom was at its apex during the 2000s, St. Vincent became that artist for me in the 2010s, where every album was an event and an experience, where I couldn't wait to hear how she evolved musically. My U2 fandom is still immensely strong and I listened to SOI and SOE a ton. But if you were to ask me who my Artist of the Decade was in the 2010s, it was St. Vincent, and that started because of Actor.

Thank you for the kind words, gump and cobbler. Glad you guys liked it.

Cobbler, the Elvis Costello song I used is from the same album as Oliver's Army! So that's a good catch by you. I think Oliver's Army is fucking brilliant (love the ABBA-inspired piano) but I'm honestly a little turned off by his use of the N-word in the track. Kind of makes me not like the song as much, and maybe that's more a fault of my own. Great tune, though.

LN7's list:

It's good to know your audience, because opening a mixtape with a really weird and meandering six minute early U2 track might not work in other circles but it works here!
The Killers track that follows is a fun one and fits alongside U2 due to its bombastic nature.
I am not a fan of Twenty One Pilots at all, sorry, but thankfully you have "Heartbeats" by the Knife soon after and this is a modern classic! Hadn't heard it in a long time but it's a great choice.
Twin Shadow and the Walkmen were other standouts on this part of the playlist.
An instrumental Phoenix track!
Holy shit, I had never heard this CHVRCHES cover of Arctic Monkeys. Hmmm. It's cool, I would have preferred hearing the original as I think the vocal delivery on that one is a lot better, but thank you for making me aware that this exists.
The stretch from Zola Jesus -> Modest Mouse is all really strong :up:
"Summertime Clothes" is one of my favorite AC tracks.
And finally, when I first read through your list I saw the National song you were closing with and I had it in my mind that the song was "Hard To Find" off Trouble Will Find Me. So while listening it was a tremendously pleasant surprise when I realized it was actually the title track off last year's album. I like this song a lot more than the one I was anticipating and I think it makes a great playlist closer.

Good shit.

Finally a chance to get to the second half of gump’s playlist.

Starting with Patti Smith, who I’m pretty sure I’ve ever heard on desert island lists. It’s always not what I expect. I thought it was alright but not something I would actively seek out. Followed by Iggy Pop, and this is not a sound I expected, but it fits perfectly. To me this song sounds like a hangover. And then Tom Waits. I do not like his voice, but I do like that lead guitar on the chorus a whole lot. I’m going to have that riff stuck in my head I think. And I’ve already mentioned I don’t care for Joni Mitchell in group 1, and this still doesn’t change my thoughts. I liked it more than the other, but not something I would ever actively seek out. One thing for sure is that the flow in this section is fantastic.

I think for some reason I always think Television and T-Rex are the same band. Not sure why, but when the T-Rex song was going to come on in Dave’s lost I expected it to sound like this. I guess I need to check both artists out because I like them both quite a bit. Great production and guitar tone. Roosevelt Island sounded like it would have fit right next to Patti Smith. I like this song more than the Patti Smith song. And Eleanor Friedberger is yet another artist I’ve never heard of! Followed by a couple artists I’ve heard of, but haven’t heard (unless they were in previous DIs). I really enjoyed both St. Vincent and Lana Del Ray and will probably need to look into both of them, though I definitely like Lana Del Ray more. I kinda thought she sounded like Angel Olsen, who I also have enjoyed from this iteration of Desert Island.

Every time I hear Interpol it brings me back to a certain time. It brings me back to days spent at friends’ house in basements playing music or listening to music. Or driving to a rehearsal space. The girlfriend of one of my best friends in my early 20s was obsessed with Interpol. So this is a nostalgia trip. And then The National. One of my favorite bands. I love this. Not much else to say about it. The closing duo kinda lost me a bit. While they were both alright, the heights of the previous section kinda diminish them for me. I’d never heard either of them before, which is because although I really like I’m Waiting For The Man, Born To Run, and I’m On Fire, I’m not much a fan of either artist.

Final thoughts:
My favorite stretches were Stevie Wonder to The Velvet Underground and Television to The National. The flow was really good throughout. Artists I will be checking out once DI is over, for sure, are Talking Heads, Lana Del Ray, St. Vincent, and Television.

The jazz stuff and the punk stuff kinda lost me a bit, but overall I really liked it and it felt like the perfect overall length. Thank you for your entry and helping me discover new stuff!

Onto LN7.

Elvis Presley In America will never top any of my U2 lists, but it really is a gem. The second half of the song especially is just great and I wish they’d put something out like that again. The guitars for the last half are excellent as well. The only gripe I’ve ever really had with that song is that some of Bono’s esses are really piercing. But that’s a production thing. The flow into The River Is Wild really works for me, and after my posts about gump’s list, I’ll tongue-in-cheek amend that statement because this is my favorite Bruce Springsteen song. I like the instrumental of Innocence better than the vocals - they weren’t my favorite. The next couple flowed well together but I didn’t care for them. Twenty One Pilots is one of the few bands I actively avoid, and if we are listening to the radio in the car, I will change the station. Just never have liked them at all.

The Instrumental was pleasant and atmospheric. Heartbeat was nice and upbeat. I’m not sure if I’ll investigate The Knife further, but I did like that song. And then Beg For The Night. I love it. Confess was near the top of my album of the year the year the year it came out, and it’s aged very well - I was just listening to this record a bunch a couple months ago and used Five Seconds on my own list. Then as I was listening to Quiet Little Voices, I kept thinking it reminded me of something that The Walkman would release. So when The Rat started then, it was about as perfect as I could imagine. The Rat is one of my favorites by The Walkmen - I only like Heaven better.

And then there’s When You Were Mine. I love this. Never heard of Night Terrors of 1927 but it’s definitely going into my list of artists to check out. Wild Heart is one of the few by Bleachers that I’ve heard. I like everything I’ve heard by them so I think I also need to add them to my list. The next section was solid but lesser than what preceded it. It kinda melted together as I was working. Downtown was my favorite of the group, with the moody atmosphere. Picked back up for me at Can We Work It Out. And I liked the Arctic Monkeys cover a whole lot more than I expected to! Dangerous Days was alright also. Not my favorite.

Half Light II is a song I’d forgotten about. That album is an album I admire so much and I always enjoy it when I hear it, but rarely find myself seeking it out. Return was difficult for me to get through. It felt like a lot longer than it was. Probably one of my personal weakest points so far. Modest Mouse is a band I wish I could like more. To me they’re like Red Hot Chili Peppers in that I almost always like the music but the singer just gets in the way of me really liking it. Reel to Reel was not what I would expect from Simple Minds. I didn’t dislike it, but for me it was just kinda... there. As I type this minutes later I don’t recall it. Probably because it’s onto another song, granted, but yeah. The next one reminded me of some generic 80s synth pop. Usually I like that stuff, but I always have difficulty with different languages in pop music. I mentioned that on Laz’s list. It’s just a me thing. Gaynalk Bhaya is not in a genre that’s in my wheelhouse, but for what it was, it was solid, but not something I’d come back to.

Then we get to Summertime Clothes. Top two Animal Collective to me. Always love it. I’ve never heard of J. Views, but I really like Wild Cub, so I really enjoyed Into the Light quite a bit. Ran was alright, but probably not enough to get me to check Future Island out more. And I did not care for Desire. But then wow! Something To Remember Me By is just about perfect. I listened to an album by them way back and kinda wrote them off as I didn’t care for it much. This changes everything. I’ll have to dig into them for sure. And then the ending with I Am Easy To Find was nice. The National are one of my favorite bands, and although this isn’t one of my favorites by them, the lower bar they set is still higher than most bands in my estimation.

Final thoughts:

I liked this list a lot more than I thought I would on paper. My favorite discoveries are When You Were Mine, Into The Light, and Something To Remember Me By. Favorite section was Twin Shadow->Majical Cloudz.

Least favorite parts were 21 Pilots, Eno • Hyde, and Ought.

Overall very positive about this list. The flow was fairly good - there were parts that jumped a bit but I didn’t make any specific notes about that. Thanks for participating and helping me discover new stuff!

Back
Top Bottom