Interference Random Music Thread Part VII: Hot Rice? I prefer the Shaved Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's more laziness than anything, really. Ft. Worth to Austin is no drive at all. As you know, I do it a lot.

And Saturday is normally the best night of the week, except for football season. It's the best day of the week then, but after a long day of watching football and drinking/eating in a hot parking lot, going out doesn't tend to happen. Something about day drinking (which I absolutely adore) kills the night (in Texas, at least). You're just too beat and either still drunk or already hungover after a day in the sun.

I didn't realize it was a straight shot down 35. Huh. How many hours is that?

Maybe it's a Texas thing. When I was at Senior Week, I was going twice a day every day except one.

Penn State-Ohio State is at 8 PM. Holy shit, will that be insane.

Yeah it's about as easy a drive as it gets. Three hours on a bad day.

Well, the oppressive Texas heat doesn't help, but standing at the tailgates for hours on end and then standing during an entire football game gets tiring. Maybe I'm just old and out of shape. Well, definitely. 22. Fuck.

That game is going to be absolute nuts. We unfortunately don't have any marquee home games this year. First game against Louisiana Monroe is at 6. Thank G-d. Those noon games are the worst. And the Tech game will be in primetime, which is awesome. They won't be any good this year, but I hate the school, hate Tech Trash, and can't wait to mudhole that Vince Gill lookalike coach of theirs.

In other news, pre-drinking for LC! has officially begun. Can't wait to see those bastards tonight.

How were the games during your freshmen year?

Speaking of alcohol, I'm taking an absurdly lengthy alcohol education course at the moment. It's like three hours and you have to pass a test. This is a requirement for Penn State.

They were about what you'd expect. I've never had less than an amazing time in DKR, with the possible exception of the 2006 loss to Ohio State. The stadium is great and Godzillatron has to be seen to be believed, but we've got a bad problem with complacent, entitled crowds. The stadium should be a lot louder than it is. The Mizzou game last year (the week after 45-35) was the best I'd ever heard it. It should always be like that.

That sucks. Never had to do anything like that, thank G-d. But I did have to sit through four hours of bullshit for my TABC certification, so I don't exactly pity you.

I have plenty of time to do it, since all of my friends are in various amounts of trouble right now because of some incidents this week. I, of course, am working ten hours a day in an office, so wasn't out any of these nights.

I think I'm trying out this newfangled Internet technology. It's called The Skype. It's like The Facebook but with video. I gots this laptop and it can totally go 12 rounds with a webcam, I figured I'd rock this shit.

And boom goes the dynamite.

I just worked 14 hours. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

I really need to listen to more of Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour. God that shit is great. I found a cool website where they're all archived and available:

http://croz.fm/

The one about "Musical Instruments" was fucking hilarious.

If they gave out awards for radio shows (do they?), he would definitely be worthy.

just wondering... regarding brian eno.

i'm going to get an album or two of his... can anyone recommend me? i think another green world is a definite, but i also wouldn't mind getting one of his Ambient albums, maybe the Airports one?

for those familiar with his work with bowie and the berlin trilogy, do many of his albums recall that work?

Another Green World is largely ambient. Go in the other direction and pick up either Here Come the Warm Jets or Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy), the latter of which is, to these ears, easily his most representative work. Nearly every angle that Eno ever took is on display, on that record. Not perfect and not his best, but it is ALL things Eno.

just wondering... regarding brian eno.

i'm going to get an album or two of his... can anyone recommend me? i think another green world is a definite, but i also wouldn't mind getting one of his Ambient albums, maybe the Airports one?

Here Come the Warm Jets is a MUST. And I would say that it definitely recalls moments from the entire Eno/Bowie Berlin trilogy.

As for the Ambient albums, On Land is pretty spectacular. I think that one is Ambient 4 unless I'm mistaken.

I'm also a huge fan of Discreet Music.

Define "new," if you could? I mean, didn't they release something a few months ago? Nothing special, if that's what you're talking about. Pretty much a regular-ass, post-Phrenology Roots album. Good enough, but you'll never listen to it again, once the year's up.

Also, this is not a joke--I am going to listen to Zen Arcade, this afternoon...for the first time. Ever. Yes, it's true. I have some how never heard this album. I guess that Double Nickels on the Dime turned me off to hardcore double albums, or something (what with it sucking, and all).

Anyway, this is some kind of landmark moment, to be sure. Stupid Our Band Could Be Your Life, forcing me to catch up on a few bands with which I'd never really spent too much time. I'll report back.

Hmm, okay. Was it right by Pike Place Market? If it's the one I'm thinking of, that's a relatively new place.

Also: I may be 25 years late to this party, but seriously...Hüsker Dü's Zen Arcade is fucking awesome. Holy fuzz. Seriously. Great.

"Written by Anu," it says. I see this moniker around the internets, from time to time. How ubiquitous is your own use of it?

That's actually not me, it's our wonderful editor's. I typically use onebloodonelife or some variant of it when I'm out and about online.

It really is unbelievable. Almost frightening to listen to it and realize that apart from a few slight sonic changes, post-hardcore arrived pretty much fully intact, with that record. I mean, seriously. It sounds like it was recorded in an '80s studio in a few days, yeah, but something like Fucked Up's Hidden World or ...Trail of Dead's Source Tags & Codes (near-perfect though it may be) only sound fuller, not actually different--there was just nowhere else to go, it seems! Amazing. Truly amazing. I suppose that post-hardcore interludes have come a ways, but that's about it...and even the interludes, as far as I can tell, sort of arrived, here. Fuck the Minutemen, man.

I am very disappointed in myself for having missed out on so many years with this record. Still, better late than never. Stupid Replacements, turning me off the Minneapolis/St. Paul scenes! Blah!

Oh, and while I'm not a Pitchfork-hater or -basher, I still have to say...

If there are more than 100 songs from this decade, so far, that're better than Killa's "Hey Ma," LC!'s "You! Me! Dancing!," Britney Spears's "Toxic," and 'Yeezy's "Touch the Sky" (none of which even cracked the top 120, and the latter of which featuring a nice little Cam shout-out...always a plus), then I apparently lived a different decade than these people did. Absurd. Not really the most major complaints, as a list of 500 is going to be pretty random until the last 75-100 tracks, but still.

DipSET! Hear me out:

YouTube - Cam'Ron - Hey Ma

YouTube - Britney Spears - Toxic

YouTube - Kanye West - Touch The Sky: MTV Version, Closed Captioned

YouTube - Los Campesinos - You! Me! Dancing!

Why has Toxic become such the typical indie/hipster answer for "Name a pop song from the last 10 years that you think is actually cool" ??

Psssshaw.

I thought that honor belonged to Since You Been Gone.

Toxic is pretty great, though. It's pretty out there for a big dumb pop song.

Why has Toxic become such the typical indie/hipster answer for "Name a pop song from the last 10 years that you think is actually cool" ??

Psssshaw.

I just loved the song, I dunno. So did everybody else in the country. It was everywhere, that spring. I wouldn't go so far as to call it cool (that video, for example, is hilariously stupid), but it was good. I love pop music. Absolutely love it.

Also, I'm pretty sure that you meant to ask, "Why has 'Since U Been Gone' become such the typical indie/hipster answer for 'Name a pop song from the last 10 years that you think is actually cool' ??" You could also have gone with "Hey Ya," but that's too easy (as it will clearly be remembered as the best song of this decade, regardless of what Pitchfork or any indie kid has to say about the matter).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom