Interference Random Music Thread Part VII: Hot Rice? I prefer the Shaved Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck it. I still think "Umbrella" was amazing. In fact, most Rihanna tunes are good. "Disturbia" was great too.

Did you know that the woman who wrote "Toxic" also wrote "I Kissed A Girl And I Liked it" by Katy Perry?

Don't you dare say anything bad about KP in front of me.

katy_perry_esquire_magazine_cover_pics.jpg

You're a fool.

I hope that's not quite the case. For what it's worth, my inability to "get" The Replacements is one of my greatest guilts, in the art world. Right up there with Sonic Youth, James Joyce (ie, Finnegan's Wake), Rembrandt, and Fellini. Well, maybe not quite "right up there," but at least in the same ballpark, if not parking lot thereof.

Something made me think of this recently:

1, 2, 3, O'clock, 4 O'clock Cock
5, 6 , 7 O' clock, 8 O'clock Cock
9, 10, 11 O'clock 12 O'clock Cock
We're gonna rock...around...the cock tonight....

Put your cock rings on and join me, hon,
We'll have some fun when the cock strikes one
We're gonna rock around the cock tonight,
We're gonna rock, rock, rock, cos it's a broad's delight.
We're gonna rock, gonna rock, around the cock tonight.

When the cock strikes two, three and four,
If my cock slows down you'll yell for more,

When the Edge's chimes ring five, six and seven,
We'll be right in shuttlecock heaven.

When it's eight, nine, ten, eleven too,
I'll be cockin' strong and so will you.

When the clock strikes twelve, we'll cool off then,
Start a rockin' round the cock again.

Whatever. I think it's hilarious.

I hope that's not quite the case. For what it's worth, my inability to "get" The Replacements is one of my greatest guilts, in the art world. Right up there with Sonic Youth, James Joyce (ie, Finnegan's Wake), Rembrandt, and Fellini. Well, maybe not quite "right up there," but at least in the same ballpark, if not parking lot thereof.

Good god I love the Replacements.

:tsk: You have been missing out on years of fantastic music.

But, admittedly, I haven't listened to Hüsker Dü yet. I need to get around to doing that pretty soon.

Have you checked out Sugar yet? It's a good entry point into the world of Bob Mould, and you don't have to sift through the usually sub-par Grant Hart songs as you do with THE DU!

Personally, I think Copper Blue is the best thing Bob was ever associated with, anyway.

This is why I listened to the record:

And then they won some key out-of-town fans. In March '80 they arranged to play a Chicago show the same night as Black Flag was playing, billing it as a Black Flag afterparty. Sure enough, Greg Ginn, Chuck Dukowski, Dez Cadena, and Spot showed up at the tiny club and were blown away by Hüsker Dü. "We were on fire," says Mould. "We were way too jacked up on everything, amphetamines in particular. I just remember bouncing from wall to wall to wall, just throwing myself off the walls. And I had this hammer and I was smashing stuff. We were just going nuts."

"We were on a mission," Hart explains, "to impress the hell out of Black Flag."

By the end of the set, Hart had knocked over his kit, drums and cymbals spread over the floor. The band retreated to a utility closet, where they found a paint bucket that Mould heaved out onto the floor, splattering blue paint everywhere. A woman who worked for the club got angry at this and began scooping up the paint with a cymbal and flinging it onto Hart's drums. "Not a smart move," says Mould. "So we went flying out there, and he grabbed her and threw her down in the paint and them picked her up and started bouncing her off the wall. She was leaving these blue butt prints."

The Black Flag guys looked on in astonishment. "They were sort of scared to come back, but they were just like, 'Uh...What are you guys?'" says Mould. "We're like, 'We're Hüsker Dü, who the hell are you?'"

Amazing. God, I love it. So much.

Laz and NSW, how do you rank 'em? The Hüsker Dü albums, that is. And PLEASE, somebody, tell me why I'm wrong about The Replacements. I've listened to everything, so it's not a lack of exposure. I like a number of songs, but no records. Not yet, at least. Lead me to the promised land, damn it.

Man, I'm the wrong cat when it comes to explaining why I like a band, record or song. Same shit as with films. I can tell you what I like and how it makes me feel, but just am unable to explain the why.

As for THE DU!, I'd say that my three favorites, in order, are:

Zen Arcade
New Day Rising
Flip Your Wig

Warehouse: Songs and Stories is pretty great if you skip the Grant Hart stuff.

New Day Rising's probably my favorite.

And I don't know what to tell you re: THE MATS!, IYS. If you read the liner notes in their "All For Nothing...Nothing For All" compilation it might give you an idea why they're so important according to other bands and critics. As for liking it, that's your own issue.

If you try to give them another go, I'd try listening to Let It Be, Tim, and Pleased to Meet Me again. That's pretty much their peak right there.

Laz, are you anti-Hart in the same way that you're anti-Spiral Stairs? Or more anti-? It sounds like you're more anti-...but, really, I'm not hearing any "weak" songs on Zen Arcade, dude...

Oh, I wouldn't go so far as to call him the Spiral Stairs of the band; that would be cruel. At least he contributed something musically with his drum playing.

He just doesn't have the songwriting or vocal prowess of Mould, and it comes off weak by comparison, that's all.

Read between the lines, mang.

We're through the looking glass, people.

Go to sleep, ho. Go to sleep, ho. If you're tired, be quiet and go to sleep, ho.

I listened to Mirrored for the first time in a while today. WHOOOAAAA is that a good one.

Battles indeed. Wonder what those cats are up to?

Also, there's a Soft Bulletin vinyl reissue out. It looks gawjuss. And Fruit Bats are doing an in-store on September 2, so consider my Ruminant Band LP signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom