Finally we have an album: SONGS OF INNOCENCE!! DISCUSSION THREAD ONLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope we get a vinyl version, the sound quality is absolutely atrocious.

Yes, vinyl is coming this Autumn.

On October 13th the physical release of Songs of Innocence comes with a 24-page booklet. A deluxe, gatefold double album, contains an acoustic session of songs from the album and four additional tracks: Lucifer's Hands, The Crystal Ballroom, The Troubles (Alternative version) and Sleep Like a Baby Tonight (Alternative Perspective Mix by Tchad Blake)

The album will also be available as a gatefold, double white-vinyl LP with an exclusive remix of "The Crystal Ballroom".

Stories on U2's surprise album are being linked to on the front pages of Drudge, CNN, USA Today, etc. :up:

I spoke to Lykke Li an hour ago... by accident I was her first interview since the release of this album. She didn't know it would be released today, either. I'll be Tweeting some of the stuff she said over the next couple days, if you want to follow me on Twitter. @RomiTheWriter.

These tracks just feel like they were made for vinyl & not just because of the cover.

On the release strategy all I can say is... WHOA. :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Only listened to the album once so far and my first impression is very positive. It is such an energetic, frantic, colorful, varied album. Every Breaking Wave is simply stunning. I loved the slow live version but the Danger Mouse makeover and the new chorus simply hits you in the gut. Epic.

Only time will tell how the album will stand up musically but my first reaction after hearing it is nothing but excitement about the direction and that they are back!!

Only downside is the album artwork. Seems a little forced to me - doesn't match the color and energy of the music itself.

I wonder if the next tour won't be some huge thing, trying to out-do 360....maybe something more intimate...playing indoor arena shows with a minimal stage setup like today's performance at the Apple event?

I can't stop listening to The Troubles...it's ominously gorgeous (if that even makes sense). There's a keyboard/string chord sequence in there that reminds me of The Unforgettable Fire. Love it!

Only downside is the album artwork. Seems a little forced to me - doesn't match the color and energy of the music itself.

Do we know this is the final album artwork? I couldn't quite get where Bono was going when he commented on that. Perhaps the artwork will change with the physical release this Autumn?

Though I actually quite like the artwork's simplicity...and it matches the liner notes, so I wouldn't expect it to be changing. It's fine at it is.

On the release strategy all I can say is... WHOA. :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Only listened to the album once so far and my first impression is very positive. It is such an energetic, frantic, colorful, varied album. Every Breaking Wave is simply stunning. I loved the slow live version but the Danger Mouse makeover and the new chorus simply hits you in the gut. Epic.

Only time will tell how the album will stand up musically but my first reaction after hearing it is nothing but excitement about the direction and that they are back!!

But it IS "period-correct", imho.

It's shocking how much better the 2nd half of the record is than the 1st. Anyone else feel that way? It's more the album I was expecting. Much more Broken Bellsy Danger Mousey. Much more in line with what I'm listening to now. I have to admit that I'm a little underwhelmed with Side A. So far.

I strongly agree

So far so great.... I don't usually react positively to new music instantly, but first 5-6 songs just work.
Whoever said that iris is like something from tuf hit it on the head - first 10 seconds and I felt I was listening to '85 u2

Sent from my LG-D855 using U2 Interference mobile app

I think Every Breaking Wave is the classic song - it just has something about it that really hits right to the heart.

Stories on U2's surprise album are being linked to on the front pages of Drudge, CNN, USA Today, etc. :up:
They are really winning with this release.

In the "thank you notes" on the booklet, they dedicate the album to Paul McGuinness. How nice of them. He must be having a heart attack in his pools of money.

It's shocking how much better the 2nd half of the record is than the 1st. Anyone else feel that way?

It's very un-U2 in that respect.

The filler (California) is on the first half for a change.

I don't hate the cover, but I do prefer more traditional ones. Part of me is wondering if it's not just a placeholder until the physical album comes out. Keep something a surprise.

I spoke to Lykke Li an hour ago... by accident I was her first interview since the release of this album. She didn't know it would be released today, either. I'll be Tweeting some of the stuff she said over the next couple days, if you want to follow me on Twitter. @RomiTheWriter.

Very cool. Look forward to reading her remarks.

It's shocking how much better the 2nd half of the record is than the 1st. Anyone else feel that way? It's more the album I was expecting. Much more Broken Bellsy Danger Mousey. Much more in line with what I'm listening to now. I have to admit that I'm a little underwhelmed with Side A. So far.

I'm not sure I agree...one two listens, I find the record to be remarkably even, especially for U2.

I don't hate the cover, but I do prefer more traditional ones. Part of me is wondering if it's not just a placeholder until the physical album comes out. Keep something a surprise.

Yeah, I wonder this too.

It's very un-U2 in that respect.

The filler (California) is on the first half for a change.

Somewhat, but I think it's too early to say this is the great thing ever. People were saying that about Bomb, too. I was saying it about Bomb.

PS: I like California. (The song. The state is OK).

I think Every Breaking Wave is the classic song - it just has something about it that really hits right to the heart.

agreed. it grows. when Bomb came out, "sometimes" stood up and shouted "look at me! i'm emotional!" but now it feels forced and just too much.

EBW may have more staying power.

Somewhat, but I think it's too early to say this is the great thing ever. People were saying that about Bomb, too. I was saying it about Bomb.

PS: I like California. (The song. The state is OK).
It's definitely not the greatest thing ever, but the wait was worth it. Can't deny that it's really good.

I'm not sure I agree...one two listens, I find the record to be remarkably even, especially for U2.

This is how I feel, too. I'm not hearing a Moment of Surrender or a City of Blinding Lights, but I'm also certainly not hearing a Stand Up Comedy or an All Because of You.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm thinking it is a placeholder cover. He said they just finished the album last week.

I'm sure they'll have a nice package for the physical release...plus, they'll still want fans to want to buy it! 4 new songs and acoustic ones, I think plenty will still buy it. I know I probably will.

While the many predictions of a "double" album apparently were wrong, I'll be interested to see if the "second" album Bono mentioned actually happens this time. The prospect feels much more "real" to me than Songs of Ascent, so I think there's room to be optimistic that we may yet have more U2 coming.

Innocence in Autumn and Experience in Winter? Blake would approve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom