Finally we have an album: SONGS OF INNOCENCE!! DISCUSSION THREAD ONLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it be that at some shows on the tour the setlist might consist of "Songs of Innocence" followed by "Songs of Experience" alone?!

If Experience also has 11 songs that would make a full setlist of 22 and a nice escape from predictable setlists of the old classics. Exciting possibilities here...

Holy shit, Iris is straight up from Unforgettable Fire. Edge's Strat/Delay, GIMME!!!

This. Iris is the best song on the album in my opinion. The way Bono sings Iris reminds me of his swag during Unforgettable Fire tour.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Just got out of the car. Catching up I have an iPhone. What's the process of downloading?

Hi everyone, my first post :)

The album overall is good and all the songs are good. That is the problem, the songs are just good and some very good.

There are no stand out tracks.
When I first heard no line on the horizon magnificent and unknown caller affected me and touched me emotionally.
There is no such track on this album. Maybe I need to hear it many times for it to sink in.

Maybe it is just my expectation. I kind expected a beautiful day, city of blinding lights soaring anthem which takes you to another place entirely.
However considering this album has been 5 years in the making maybe it was not too much to ask.

This is great news for me. Mostly because I find Magnificent and COBL to be painfully contrived, generic, forced, and vapid. In fact, I hate those songs. They are a perfect representation of what U2 had become over the past 10 years.

I am looking forward to this new record more and more...

I can honestly say there is not a weak song on this album,stand outs for me so far are cedarwood road,volcano and raised by wolves. But I love all of them.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using U2 Interference mobile app

On my fourth listen now...

So far, my three favorite tracks are:

Volcano
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
Song For Someone

The Miracle is really great too. Love the lyrics :hyper:

This is great news for me. Mostly because I find Magnificent and COBL to be painfully contrived, generic, forced, and vapid. In fact, I hate those songs. They are a perfect representation of what U2 had become over the past 10 years.

I am looking forward to this new record more and more...

That makes 2 of us. Magnificent is just a Pride rewrite. They sound nearly identical if you compare them. The lyrics are even similar. COBL is just a Streets rewrite.
No rewrites on this album. I'm so happy. Every Breaking Wave is maybe their best song of the 2000s. I know that sounds like a premature statement, but EBW is absolutely amazing.

Listening to it now. Honestly, this was the very last thing I was expecting today!

They might actually have a plan this time. Songs of Experience would be released for the tour. Just before or during the launch. An album to get to know now and and one for the tour. 2 Grammy years. They just might pull it off.

Just finished.

Wow. So surreal to hear 11 brand new U2 songs without having any of them spoiled, leaked, knowing a lead single, having a traditional leadup/hype, just unreal.

The Trouble is incredible. Going back for another!

They might actually have a plan this time. Songs of Experience would be released for the tour. Just before or during the launch. An album to get to know now and and one for the tour. 2 Grammy years. They just might pull it off.

I agree!

I think it could also end up being an Achtung Baby/Zooropa sort of deal too.

:drool::drool::drool:

This. Iris is the best song on the album in my opinion. The way Bono sings Iris reminds me of his swag during Unforgettable Fire tour.

It's damn good. I don't know about the best yet but it's amazing.

That makes 2 of us. Magnificent is just a Pride rewrite. They sound nearly identical if you compare them. The lyrics are even similar. COBL is just a Streets rewrite.
No rewrites on this album. I'm so happy. Every Breaking Wave is maybe their best song of the 2000s. I know that sounds like a premature statement, but EBW is absolutely amazing.

EBW. Yes!

Having listened to this album 4 times now I would say its better then anything since All That You Cant Leave Behind.

Top 5 U2 album and to be truly honest with myself I didn't expect that from the band at this stage of the game.

I am the king of skepticism. Until the band got into the stage, I still wasn't convinced that they would release a single today. The whole album?
I am really gobsmacked. That boring presentation turned into a U2 new single performance? I still cannot believe.

U2 3.0

Yeahhhh finally U2 3.0!!! Like JT 2 AB

Fresh and modern sound!! God bless Danger Mouse!

Top 3 (first session) :
01 - Raised by Wolves :drool:
02 - Sleeps Like a Baby Tonight
03 - Every Breaking Wave

Gorging on this! As people have said, not having any clips/leaks has been brilliant and really adding to this Xmas morning feeling.

Very surprised there is no Invisible!

I lost count, but I am starting my 4th or 5th listen now. I'm going to pay particular attention to the first 5 songs. I am fascinated with how the album, while cohesive, feels different starting with Volcano.

Great article on the deal here

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/BL-SEB-83310

Though the album is free for listeners, the band and its label, Universal Music Group, didn’t just give their product away.
“We’re not going in for the free music around here,” Bono joked on stage. Apple didn’t pay a traditional wholesale price for each of the 500 million albums. Instead the company paid Universal and U2 an undisclosed lump sum for the exclusive window to distribute the album. Universal plans to piggyback on the big push for “Songs of Innocence” to promote the band’s 12 older albums, a critical factor for a veteran rock band. The band’s recent albums have shown a steady decline in sales even steeper than the overall industry trend. “No Line on the Horizon,” from 2009, has sold 1.1 million copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan. That’s down from 3.3 million copies for “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb,” and 4.4 million copies for “All That You Can’t Leave Behind,” released in 2000.

I'll be honest, I feared the worst after the live version of Miracle earlier, but i'm loving this. I think the DM produced songs are my fave thus far.

I'm disappointed that the bridge section of Every Breaking Wave, which was so heartbreaking live, was turned into a semi-rapped throwaway portion:

"The sea knows, where are the rocks
And drowning is no sin.

You know where my heart is,
The same place that yours has been.

We know we fear to win,
So we end before we begin, before we begin."

Otherwise, the verses are nicely polished. The chorus seems a bit too... happy? I always thought this song was meant to be understated and heart-wrenching.

So far my stand-out is Sleep Like A Baby Tonight, if only because it's a nostalgia trip back the 'Pop' era.

OMG! It's really here! I just downloaded the songs...listening to Raised By Wolves right now. Wow! I love every song I've heard so far. This was totally worth the wait!

This album has the best 2nd half since Achtung Baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom