California (There Is No End To Love) - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finally heard the similarity to Arcade Fire's No Cars Go when I was listening to it today.

This is not a bad thing.

Heh, I pointed out the irony of this the other day to two U2/Arcade Fire fans I know (one loves the album overall but hates the song, one I think is now totally off U2) who were slagging this song off big time, shut them right up, lol.

That said, I am not fond of the Santa Barbara parts myself, but am not hating on the song. :)

Love this song. Catchy as hell. One of my favorites on the record. U2 having a little fun.

It was a grower, though.

LOVE this song. fave after EBW, The Troubles, Sleep LIke a Baby, maybe Volcano...

Definite radio possibility.

Love these lyrics:

Everyone's a star in our town
It's just your light gets dimmer if you have to stay
In your bedroom, in a mirror
Watching yourself cry like a baby.

very dark visual built under the shininess of this tune. Love it.

this one grew on me a lot; i thought it was too poppy at first but now I really feel that joy that only U2 can bring. you can just see Bono smiling while he's singing. awesome solo from Edge as well, and I actually like the intro...

love the song, hated the intro at first, but now love it! has anybody heard this with headphones on? there are a few times where is sounds like static, or just noise, weird anybody notice that? is it supposed to be the sound of waves?

The intro doesn't bother me, it's Bono's vocal performance. I'm not a fan of his tone on this, it's on a slightly higher register than usual and it sounds like he's forcing it at times. Many have mentioned the Katy Perry oh ohs, which I picked up right away also, and no one should ever want to sound like her. Also the California theme is beyond unoriginal, it's been done a million times. Maybe I'm bored by this because i've lived in LA for awhile so I hear all the local bands singing about this area. But I think people are drawn to the "idea" of California (surf and sand, movie stars etc.) and so this track appeals to those who don't live here. I know I'm in the minority, I've seen all the rankings but I skip this 1 every time.

Well fuck me, I'm loving the shit out of this song now. Thought it'd be this album's SUC/ABOY upon first listen, but it's catapulted to the top with its breezy, joyful harmonies, solid lyrics and Bono's delightful vocal delivery.

What the heck is this song about? Forgive me if I haven't buried myself in the lyrics and tried to do an analysis myself. But how does it fit in with the whole songs of innocence theme? Like Axver said in another thread, CA is not exactly a suburb of Dublin! :p

What the heck is this song about? Forgive me if I haven't buried myself in the lyrics and tried to do an analysis myself. But how does it fit in with the whole songs of innocence theme? Like Axver said in another thread, CA is not exactly a suburb of Dublin! :p

I believe it's about the first time the band went to California?

I believe it's about the first time the band went to CA?

Is it, really? Or is it something people are assuming?... because to me a song about California is funny and out of place on an album that is all about their roots in Dublin, Cedarwood Rd etc. etc.

Is it, really? Or is it something people are assuming?... because to me a song about California is funny and out of place on an album that is all about their roots in Dublin, Cedarwood Rd etc. etc.

From The Rolling Stone track by track guide:

It's about the group's first trip to California in the early 1980s.

Do your homework....read the album liner notes.....read the ITunes editors notes.....its inspired by their first trip to LA and Bono`s love for the Beach Boys

This is slowly becoming one of my favorites on this album. I love love love the keyboard! Although I'm a sucker for keyboards

Sent from my SGH-I337M using U2 Interference mobile app

Do your homework....read the album liner notes.....read the ITunes editors notes.....its inspired by their first trip to LA and Bono`s love for the Beach Boys

lol. I thought I already stated that I have not buried myself in lyrical analysis or done my "homework". That is why I asked you folks here.

I listen to music as and when I get time (mostly in the car only nowadays) which is very limited, sandwiched in between a full-time job and family wife and kid time at home. There is no fanboy time anymore to read 937453276 articles, liner notes, iTunes notes and what not.

I absolutely love the "That's how I know/and why I need to know" moment. Bono moves down just one step on "and why I" compared to the "and all I" parts and it ends up making a big difference.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

lol. I thought I already stated that I have not buried myself in lyrical analysis or done my "homework". That is why I asked you folks here.

I listen to music as and when I get time (mostly in the car only nowadays) which is very limited, sandwiched in between a full-time job and family wife and kid time at home. There is no fanboy time anymore to read 937453276 articles, liner notes, iTunes notes and what not.

Im in the Same boat my friend with the wife, job and kid. Studying every nano detail of the new album is my form of relaxation I guess.

Back
Top Bottom