California (There Is No End To Love) - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even after seeing and hearing California (There is no end to love) in Vancouver Show #2 , I still feel this is the weakest song on SOI. But that's just my opinion.

Even after seeing and hearing California (There is no end to love) in Vancouver Show #2 , I still feel this is the weakest song on SOI. But that's just my opinion.

It's my favorite... Just my opinion.

P.S. I was looking forward to RBW but I don't think it's turning out to be vet good live

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It looks like there's no end to love only in Canada. But the live ends in San Jose, CA.

Fiction:

Adam: "Hey guys, what about California? My instinct senses a potential hit single"
Edge and Bono: "No way, we have this monumental rocker, Miracle, it will bring memories of something old, but something good. It will be a huge single. There are oooohs, people will love it"
Adam: "Okay, so what about playing California live?"
Edge and Bono: "Forget it, it would break the flow of the show, it´s too energetic, uplifting and catchy. Other songs would look too bland compared to it."

If Bono wants to start adding snippets to the live version (assuming it becomes a regular at some point), he should consider using either of these two songs as sources. I just realized that both of them appear to use a similar chord progression that’s used in a lot of California.

Bastille -Pompeii (the ‘eh eh oh eh oh’ chant could be a replacement for the Santa Barbara intro, haha)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m326LNIRB3k

Matt & Kim - Let’s Go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSxzeOpQJ9c

WPGftnd.gif

This is me if California gets played in California.

Fiction:

Adam: "Hey guys, what about California? My instinct senses a potential hit single"
Edge and Bono: "No way, we have this monumental rocker, Miracle, it will bring memories of something old, but something good. It will be a huge single. There are oooohs, people will love it"
Adam: "Okay, so what about playing California live?"
Edge and Bono: "Forget it, it would break the flow of the show, it´s too energetic, uplifting and catchy. Other songs would look too bland compared to it."

Adam: "Uh, alright. Well, how about we play it while we're in California, at least.
Edge and Bono: "How about we play it in Vancouver, once, and then change the words to Streets again?"

Adam: Fine. then how about we play Drowning Man?
Edge and Bono: How about we rearrange Sunday Bloody Sunday so that it sounds a bit like Drowning Man instead?
Adam: When is a compromise not a compromise?
Edge and Bono: You're right Adam, it's a great idea.

It´s great they played it at LA first night, despite Edge butchering the song, because he forgot the progressions in it. Bono did an amazing job, it is a very hard song to sing. It would help if Edge backed him up or added some vocal harmonies in the chorus. He needs to be woken from his lazy mode, this song asks for it. Anyway, I´m happy they didn´t give up on this great uptempo song, I hope they will keep playing it.

It´s great they played it at LA first night, despite Edge butchering the song, because he forgot the progressions in it. Bono did an amazing job, it is a very hard song to sing. It would help if Edge backed him up or added some vocal harmonies in the chorus. He needs to be woken from his lazy mode, this song asks for it. Anyway, I´m happy they didn´t give up on this great uptempo song, I hope they will keep playing it.

Great song and should be played in every city

Watching the Roxy performance, with Bono's little spiel at the beginning, and considering the more guitar based drive of the live version, I can't help but think this wouldn't have been the most ideal lead single/opening song for gigs.

The fact that they didn't play The Miracle (which I like as an album opener) at a "club" gig with punkish undertones emphasises this to me.

Just gonna keep coming back every once in while to say how much I love this song. There is no damn reason for a song this cheesy to be so affecting, but it is. I honestly love the lyric.

Just gonna keep coming back every once in while to say how much I love this song. There is no damn reason for a song this cheesy to be so affecting, but it is. I honestly love the lyric.

I agree so damn much.

Back
Top Bottom