April 25, Key Arena in Seattle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My first U2 show, and while I wanted to hear An Cat Dubh or Electric Co. really badly, what I got was still incredible.

Had some complications leaving for the show (too complex to get into), so we ended up missing the opening band. No big loss, we got into the arena around 8:40.

City of Blinding Lights, being my favorite U2 song, was the one I wanted them to open with, and I got what I want. I tell you, even after watching the DVDs and hearing about the shows, I wasn't prepared for how good they were.

The rest of the show was pretty much the same set as usual. LAPOE -> SBS -> BTBS was incredible, as was Bad and One.

And then the encores. I was fully expecting them to end with 40. So they play Original, it sounds great, then Bono says something I assume was in another language (kind of hard to hear him with all the fans screaming :wink: ), then he said "That's <insert language> for playing the same fucking song again", and then they do Vertigo to close the show. First time I've ever seen a band do the same song twice, and while I know some people might have had a problem, this was my first show and I didn't give a shit. I enjoyed every moment of it, and I will most definitely catch them again next time they come up here :bono: .

Vpk0718 said:
"That's <insert language> for playing the same fucking song again", and then they do Vertigo to close the show.

He said "encoré" which is Italian. At least, that's what I heard.

I have been a fan since '91, been to 12 shows, and listened to or seen more than 100 others. After 14 years I thought I knew U2. I thought I'd felt the rush and the highs and lows of the live show. I was wrong.

Monday was the last night on earth before the atomic bomb landed. Because it did. It was loud, it was grinding, and it was freakin' massive. I LOVED IT.

In concerts past, I've heard the yearning in Bono's growl, ala Elevation, Exit, and Gone. I've heard the desire in Edge's guitar, via BTBS, Zoo Station, and UTEOTW. I always feel Larry and Adam. But I've never heard the show come together so well before, like the band is popping a big zit of a dream where they aren't just playing some rock-n-roll mixed with blues mixed with church. Suddenly, U2 are rock-n-effing-roll. They are the epitome of sonic illusion, creating a scratchy, woolly, and abrasive sandpaper dream that is still ringing in my unprotected ears. The older people (50+) next to me left 3/4 through.

There was Bono with the headband, Bono with the mic stand, Bono with the screaming and roaring and imploring... Bono was a badass. And I swear I saw Mr. MacPhisto more than once- those gestures, the glances, the shit-eating grin. That was a treat. The act was blurred when King B yanked that boy from the crowd during SYCMIOYO. He went from not really knowing what to do to chilling out with the kid to actually letting him take the stage. Bono gave up his stage! Even if just for a minute...

There were no lulls. I was in the nosebleeds, and the people around me never sat down. Gloria was glorious, ACD was mystical, and OOTS was very calming. Just when I thought One would slow it down, it was friggin' loud.

So, to summarize, the whole show was spectacular. The band was in top-rawking form. It was so fucking loud. U2 so fucking rawks.

Okay, fist off let me start by saying that I have seen U2 live on every tour since UF 20 years ago. I have seen the a total of 11 times in those 20 years and last nights show may have possibly been the best show I have ever seen them play. It completely BURIED the first Seattle show. I was in GA near the outer rail on edges side only about 8 feet from the ellipse. great spot I might add.

Anyway, Kings of Leon opened up which was OK. Sorry, but I came to see U2. What was very cool however, was that Eddie Vedder Came out and sang with them on there last song!!

U2 started out with COBL and I'm pretty sure Bono did a "magic trick" by showing up in the center of the ellipse without walking out so the crowd could see him. My guess is he walked UNDER the catwalk and popped out in the dark. VERY COOL. The crowd was going insane. I will not bore you with a song by song account but believe me when I tell you it was a religious experience for me. songs like BD, RTSS, Bad, had me in tears. It was the power of the band, the energy of the crowd. It was to much to hold in.

Bad was definately the highlight of the night for me. It sounded as good if not better than ANY live version I have ever heard. Bono's voice was TOP SHELF last night. I kept thinking, "man is his voice gonna hold out all night" because he was singing so powerfully. Well, he didn't disappoint.

The band close the show with Vertigo (again) which totally kicked arse. Bono said, "Encore, its italian for play the same fuckin songe twice!!" It just left everyone screaming for more. My theory is that the energy from last night was too high to close with yaweh/40 so the had to go out with a bang.

I talked to many ppl after the show who had come from Cali and already seen shows down there. They all said this show buried them all!! U2 HAS SET THE BAR IN SEATTLE!!!
:yes:

Seattle #2, twice as nice

Seattle does a fair impression of Wembley Stadium circa 1985- bodies moving up and down, hands in the air, arms moving in synchronous motion. "Vertigo" was an early peak; the pace was amped, the band was looser, and the crowd couldn't get enough.

Song for song the show has tightened up nicely. More movement around the ellipse by everyone. Adam ventured out into the ellipse not once but twice. At one point he danced with Bono and Bono said, "I think that's the first time I've ever danced with Adam. The first time."

The emotional highlight of the night: "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own.” Bono pulled a young boy named Jason up onto the ellipse. He held the boy's hand, walking him along the ellipse, and the symbolism between Bono and his father was overwhelming. The cameras found the boy's face and what was heartbreakingly beautiful was the ease with which the kid walked looking up at Bono, actually singing every single word to the song. Beautiful.

Two encores, including the "Original of the Species," with Edge on keyboard accompanying Bono. Bono warned us that it was only the third time ever that they'd played it live, "So this could get interesting." Flawless.

How would they make this amazingly upbeat show go out on a high note? A drum beat entered alone at a furious pace. It sounded familiar… Bono: "Here's an ENGLISH lesson: The word 'encore' comes from the Italian word [encore], which means play the same song again."

Oh yes, the guitar line, the explosion- "Vertigo."

3 songs in, "Vertigo" had been an absolute triumph. Not one still body in Key Arena. It's almost like U2, before the second of two encores, had a quick huddle and went "Did you see what happened during 'Vertigo' tonight? Could we end the show on a better note?"

It was just as thrilling the second time, all the way through, and they left the house in a spin with a simple "Bye." Lights up.

If the best way to end a show is to leave the crowd wanting more, they hit the heights tonight. At 36 I've seen my share of concerts and I think it's safe to say that tonight I understand what the word "Buzz" really means. This show set a buzz through the crowd that I'm sure continues even at this moment. Tonight was joy.

My first U2 show, and what an experience it was. The Kings of Leon did what they were meant to do, get us used to the decible level. The lead singer thanked the audience for being respectful, no Neanderthals booing them here. I must say, the rock concerts I attended as teenager were much different, no kids (I saw one tyke who couldn't have been more than four), clouds of smoke... it shows the respect that the audience has for the band. The one whiff I got of pot was some 'lumbo, pretty funny in a place famous for it's bud.

I got the songs I really wanted to hear (Gloria and Bad), and loved every second of the show. Bono's energy never flagged, the vibe never slowed, it was amazing from start to finish (and what a finish that was!). Seeing and hearing the thousands of surrounding people caught up in the same excitement that is tearing through you... it's truly mind-blowing. It took me twenty-three years before I made it to a show, and it was well worth the wait.

Re: Seattle #2, twice as nice

gregvernon said:
If the best way to end a show is to leave the crowd wanting more, they hit the heights tonight. At 36 I've seen my share of concerts and I think it's safe to say that tonight I understand what the word "Buzz" really means. This show set a buzz through the crowd that I'm sure continues even at this moment. Tonight was joy.

15 hours later I am still buzzed from that show! Nothing can bring me down this week, even finals!

Great review, gregvernon; really what could I add?

Only the fact that seeing Adam and Bono do their bullfight/dance was unfreakingbelievable and I am elated to have been there to see it.

:drool: *replays it in head* :drool:

Wow, all those reviews are so awesome, I really feel the show has reached a new level now (even if I haven't seen it yet, but based on the reviews).

I'm going to Vancouver and I'm so pumped now !!!:drool: :happy: :applaud:

Last night was my first live U2 show, but everyone so far has taken the words right out of my mouth. I was about 180th in line (arrived at about 3:40pm) but I wound up getting a spot on the floor two bodies behind the rail on the left side. Pretty great considering the people right in front of me at the rail were 89th and 91st in line and camped out several hours earlier than me. Even though there was a real bitchy woman in front of me with puffy hair with a flower clip and a "bad back" who was hollering at everyone around her (including myself) without reason, it wasn't enough to bring us down. There were so many highlights, including:

- Gloria
- SYCMIOYO with Jason (I got teary)
- Sunday Bloody Sunday (Bono playing drums on the run?!)
- Bad
- Zoo Station
- Vertigo 2

I said this on the Vertigo thread, but I'll say it again - Yes, playing Vertigo a second time seems lame and I Will Follow or 40 would have been amazing, but the energy and response of the band AND the crowd was so phenomenal and I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever about it being re-played.

I am New to this site.
I was at the 25th show.
Great show! I was 1st row 2nd level in front of the stage. BUT I ended up watching the show GA center with Binaks 15 ft back from the ramp.
I had A couple points and questions no one mentioned.

Why did Bono go to pick up an Irish flag from a fan, but then he stopped and said "NO", He then dropped the flag and pointed to the Stars on his Jacket. (Was it the Stars and stripes, as in the USA on his jacket sleeve ?) or did it have to do with there current campaign?
Also He dedicated MLK to the Brave men of the US Armed forces. (Big crowd response) I liked that. Is this the Norm for him?

He wears the white headband with the Star of David a Cross and a crecent moon.
Does he normally sing that melody about Abraham being the father of these three religions and talk about Co-existence between Muslums, Christians? (jews?)

He also had some interesting comments about Seattles science specialty field. Was this in lue of Paul Allen's Lake Union bio thec (Science?) community planning? Or Bill Gates involvment in there campaign?

Bono stated "we need alot of faith moving forward. "Faith in God... & Faith in science". He then repeated himself "Faith in Science, Faith in God" (Was it in that order?)
Are these new comments from him? inspired from playing in C town?

Did they sing the entire the entire psalm 40 at show #1 or just part? I have not heard it yet.

Does he normally take his cross-necklace off mid show? It looked like he was struggling with it, did it break?

when the Kid Jason was leaving the stage Bono said "It's all yours" Why?
It looked like they were giving the kid something, maybe a U2
jacket?

My theory is that Bono substituted "ABOY" & "OOTS" in place of "40" Considering they are both gospel based songs. (are they not?)
Why did he dedicate "Original of the species" to the seattle music scene?
BTW (is that song influenced from the band - Audio Adreniline's "Original species?"

I had not seen them since 1992 in Tacoma & BC place. It was a Great show, but it must be difficult playing over and over again and still maintaining that passion night after night. I had high expectations going in to the show because I watch the "Going home" concert DVD with 5.1 HD ALOT!
regarding the crowd. it was a little bit buzzed from the alcohol venue and the "Gen X" enthusiasm did wear out a little 2/3 the way through. The band seemed a little bit routine at times & a little distant from the crowd & a little reluctanet to really "let go" at times. But there were many tight parts with a special festive atmosphere that contained many real moments that made it a great show.
Very glad I was there.
This coming from an avid boater who spends many hours in the summer in Seattle in the "Afternoon Boating on Puget sound" (Lyric from Bono during WTSHNN??) And many of those hours listening to U2 on MD.

Grace and Peace.

I say U2 perform in Seattle at the Key Arena on April 25th.

I had intentionally kept myself completely naive to the Vertigo tour. I had no idea what the setlist might be, what the stage would look like, no idea of anything. I had stayed away from any and all news regarding this tour because for once, I wanted to be completely surprised.

And I was.

Arriving at the Key Arena, I couldn't help but look at the stage and think: this looks awfully similar to the Elevation tour. The wrap-around stage, the four screens, the otherwise simple set design. I was thinking in my mind: U2 have finally done it...they have finally repeated themselves. This doesn't look original or unique at all.

Well, around 9:00 the show started, and I was completely blown away by the opening number: City of Blinding Lights, and the use of the amazing drop-down "bubble" lights and the way the lighting spun around the stage during the chorus. Very, very cool.

Throughout the show, I could tell this tour had a very different feel from Elevation. This was U2 throwing a party...not so serious like I felt Elevation was. The band seemed very loose and just really enjoying themselves. It was very cool to see this. It wasn't U2 trying to be somebody else (ZooTV and Popmart). It wasn't U2 trying to be overly-serious (JT, Lovetown, Elevation). It was U2 just having fun and being themselves.

The setlist? I loved it. I got almost everything I wanted. That isn't to say that I heard all the songs on my "dream setlist". Not even close. But what I did get was a little slice of the Boy-era, a little taste of the JT-era, a little mini-show of ZooTV, and a whole slew of songs from the past 5 years. I missed hearing anything from Pop or Zooropa, but I do understand the mainstream does not care much for these albums, and hey, I can live with that.

Overall, I think it was my favorite U2 show ever. I have now seen shows during Popmart, Elevation, and Vertigo, and I believe Vertigo stands above them all because I could tell U2 have come to a point where they are comfortable with themselves and what they do. I think this tour will go down as one of U2's best ever because they didn't have anything to prove, they just went out there and got it done. They simply threw a party and 20,000 fans were invited.

Because of the U2-sheltered life I've lived over the past 6 weeks, I have no idea what kind of feedback the die-hard, or even the casual fans have regarding this tour. It will be interesting to move about the boards and see what the common thoughts are.

Myself, I found the Vertigo tour to be absolutely brilliant.

GregVernon-- I concur. Fantastic review. Couldn't have said it better myself. But as good as your review was, no words can really describe the joy I got from that show. I was in awe. Still am.

That was my 1st U2 concert. Am going to the Portland show on Dec 19th as well. I was totally blown away, mesmerized, in rock heaven...

Arriving at the Key Arena, I couldn't help but look at the stage and think: this looks awfully similar to the Elevation tour. The wrap-around stage, the four screens, the otherwise simple set design. I was thinking in my mind: U2 have finally done it...they have finally repeated themselves. This doesn't look original or unique at all.
That's just the U2 set. Can you imagine how expensive it would be to change it every tour? That's how Bono likes his stage, helps him get more into the audience--which he's big for.

Back
Top Bottom