2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also - do we think it will be released for DVD/soundtrack/album afterwards? Or will the HBO deal prevent that?

The HBO Special will rather support a future DVD/BluRay release. The TV broadcast will be closer to the real thing,i.e. rather untouched.... DVD will have some more professional post production and here and there some cuts (regarding snippets)

When is the documentary supposed to air? The week before?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Cool, I'm going to have to get HBO for November. Good times

The HBO Special will rather support a future DVD/BluRay release. The TV broadcast will be closer to the real thing,i.e. rather untouched.... DVD will have some more professional post production and here and there some cuts (regarding snippets)

But the concert DVD (if they release it) will be from that Paris show?

But the concert DVD (if they release it) will be from that Paris show?

At least for the Indoor part of the i+e Tour, yes. That's what I think. There might be coming a DVD next 1-2 years from an Outdoor Show as well. From the Experience part of the Tour.

That is just my personal guessing, no fact

Yeah everybody in advance warned people on here to bring earplugs. People at the show were eyeing me oddly and asked why the heck I wore earplugs being as young as I am. Yeah uh, I'd like to keep my ears functioning, thank you very much.

Hi guys, can anyone recommend a good brand of earplugs for concerts please? Alpine, Elacin, Hearos?

Thanks

There's a big portion of this tour's theme that will prove to be difficult in stadiums. Don't you think?

Eh, I think if U2 wanted to play stadiums, their people will find a way to transition the current show to stadiums. I just can't see U2 doing another arena leg in Europe. One reason is because of demand, another reason is because there really aren't many good arenas in Europe left for them to play. Also, South America doesn't have many good arenas, and stadiums are the only option there.

On the other hand, I can't really see U2 doing stadiums in the US/Canada, due to LACK OF DEMAND. I think we were all a little surprised that the NA shows didn't sell as well as we all thought they would, and I'm sure the band / their hands-off manager / livenation were surprised as well. Australia is about 50/50 on arenas vs. stadiums. Most artists now are playing shows in Asia; Dubai, India, Thailand, Singapore, Philippines, Hong Kong, Korea, not to mention Japan. This would likely have to be in arenas, if U2 were to do this. Since U2 played the Tibetan Freedom concert in 1997, I doubt China would let them in.

Last edited:
There's a big portion of this tour's theme that will prove to be difficult in stadiums. Don't you think?

I have Es Devlin (U2 stage designer) in mind, her current projects include:

U2 Arena and Stadium Tours

Es Devlin - Nether

Maybe that changed ... but still .. I think if U2 want to play in stadiums in 2016/2017 .. they will be able to translate the current indoor concept into stadium full scale megalomania

There is no way they are not playing stadiums. Cash alone is a big incentive. And their egos of course ;) And the fact that South America doesn't have good arenas. I'm looking forward in any case. Atmosphere in stadiums is just better, more breathtaking.
And of course they won't use the same stage for stadiums. They might recycle part of the current stage. But playing a full stadium like they play a full arena in its entire length is not possible. Or would be complete bullshit. I hope they don't attempt to do that... So, new leg of the tour = (partly) new stage :applaud:
The only question is whether they'll stay in Europe in 2016 and head to SA then, or start off with SA in spring and head to Europe afterwards. They might also continue indoors in Australia / NZ. I think they have decent arenas there but not sure. If the tour continues in the first months of 2016, there should be an announcement some time soon. Otherwise it'll be late spring / summer 2016. Might be a good idea to take a few months to rest & finish off the album :D

Eh, I think if U2 wanted to play stadiums, their people will find a way to transition the current show to stadiums. I just can't see U2 doing another arena leg in Europe. One reason is because of demand, another reason is because there really aren't many good arenas in Europe left for them to play. Also, South America doesn't have many good arenas, and stadiums are the only option there.

On the other hand, I can't really see U2 doing stadiums in the US/Canada, due to LACK OF DEMAND. I think we were all a little surprised that the NA shows didn't sell as well as we all thought they would, and I'm sure the band / their hands-off manager / livenation were surprised as well. Australia is about 50/50 on arenas vs. stadiums. Most artists now are playing shows in Asia; Dubai, India, Thailand, Singapore, Philippines, Hong Kong, Korea, not to mention Japan. This would likely have to be in arenas, if U2 were to do this. Since U2 played the Tibetan Freedom concert in 1997, I doubt China would let them in.

Didn't they sell out all 36 shows? I'm pretty sure Billboard reported as much.

Didn't they sell out all 36 shows? I'm pretty sure Billboard reported as much.

The 2 Denver shows weren't sold out, they curtained off the cheap seats and transplanted those ticket holders to other unsold seats throughout the arena. 2 nights at the Pepsi Center in 2005 U2 sold 36,000 tickets. Same venue, same band, 10 years later, they only sold 28,000.

The Denver shows were only added later on to fill dates on the calendar, because there was not sufficient demand in LA for a 6th, 7th or 8th show, which was the original plan. There was also meant to be a 6th Chicago show on July 3rd, but the 5th show crawled to a sellout, and there was not demand for a 6th show. Also, the grateful dead show at Soldier Field on July 3-5 would've probably sank the 6th show anyway.

I was at Chicago 5, and was actually surprised to see a full house, because that show had a BUNCH of tickets available a few days before the show.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interferencek

It's also possible that the 2016 tour could be something totally new, stage and gimmick-wise. Especially if Songs Of Experience is released, then we'll see a whole new setlist to boot.

Hey all, just saw on Twitter that U2TourFans said - "We got something pretty big coming your way soon!!"
stuck at work with no way to attach link.

anyone know anything???

Just arrived in my hometown after spending a couple of days in Barcelona. I'm thrilled with their performance. After 2h30m, they seem ready for another 2h30m!

Even if I regret that they still don't make any remarkable changes between both nights (and that was my expectation when I bought the tickets), it's clear they have a very solid 1st half that connects really well with the audience. For me, Until the End of the World is already their best live song. This version they are performing is their best so far!

2nd half is not as good, but I think that October is a very good addition and helps to drive the war-themed segment with Bullet the blue sky. Even Better Than The Real Thing was my 2nd favorite moment on both nights - kicks ass!

Very weak encore. One as a closer, in this stripped down version, is great. The audience reacted very well and Bono only sang 2 or 3 verses. Huge! I still Haven't found was the weakest link...

Nice audio as well (especially on Barcelona 2). Really enjoyed. Looking forward to 2016 and the new tour. Hope they stop doing some songs live, because their current versions are not likely to improve - MWays or Pride are very good on this tour, that's a good moment to say goodbye at least for a while.

Hey all, just saw on Twitter that U2TourFans said - "We got something pretty big coming your way soon!!"
stuck at work with no way to attach link.

anyone know anything???

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHAT IS IT?!?!?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interferencek

How long are the shows lasting? Trying to work out what time the shows will finish at the O2. They have now stated the sunday show will start at 7pm and all the others at 730pm, which gives them 3.5 hours before the curfew. Can`t see them playing for that long!

How long are the shows lasting? Trying to work out what time the shows will finish at the O2. They have now stated the sunday show will start at 7pm and all the others at 730pm, which gives them 3.5 hours before the curfew. Can`t see them playing for that long!

The O2 shows won't start that early. Expect them on stage around 8.15pm for every night bar the Sunday, that will be around or just before 8pm to hit the 10.30pm curfew. The show itself is around 140 - 150 minutes depending what they close with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom