2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who took a long time to become a Radiohead fan, don't attempt Kid A as your entry to Radiohead.

Try In Rainbows or The Bends to start with something more accessible. Although The Bends, while an excellent album, doesn't really sound like anything else they've done.

I didn't really care for Kid A until after I saw them live and then finally "got it" and became a bigger fan.

Ok, thanks, I´ll try In Rainbows. I heard the first song and it sounded very exciting, except Yorke´s weirdo vocals. I remember buying OK Computer many years ago and being terribly disappointed. It all felt very weird and depressing. I couldn´t listen to it for a long period of time because it made me despair.

Good show tonight in Chicago! Gloria!! Sounded great and enjoyed being at the b (e?) stage. Will aim for the same tomorrow night. Met some friendly Chicago people on the floor, and a guy aiming to do all 5 Chicago on the L back to the hotel. Midwesterners are delightful people !

I was so excited when I heard Ballroom was played. I was so let down when I actually listened to it. It felt very rushed. There was hardly any groove, funkiness, cool vibes like on the record. The drums were also a bit lost. There wasn´t that joyful part before the solo. The solo unfortunately remained uninspired in the live version, too. Not too much good to say about it... Lots of room for improvement.

I was so excited when I heard Ballroom was played. I was so let down when I actually listened to it. It felt very rushed. There was hardly any groove, funkiness, cool vibes like on the record. The drums were also a bit lost. There wasn´t that joyful part before the solo. The solo unfortunately remained uninspired in the live version, too. Not too much good to say about it... Lots of room for improvement.

Sounded pretty good to my ears? Specially for its first live outing

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

What it's lacking the most is bass. In this song, the bass needs to be much more proeminent in the mix, like in the album version.

For the solo... yeap, uninspired at all, agree. In the album is awesome.

Reach me Now, Troubles and Crystal Ballroom are quite a challenge. Not because they are hard to play (there are awesome covers of Crystal Ballroom in Youtube, much better than U2 version last night), but because the band always seems to think their album versions are not good enough and try to change things.

Troubles only needs an extended solo (brilliantly performed by The Edge on this tour). Reach me Now and Crystall just need to be played like they are played on the album version. Everything is already there, and it's perfect. Tempo, chords progression, bass, guitar, drums, the right mix.

Happy they played Crystal, but yes, a bit flat for a live version, far below the studio one, which is unusual for U2 who normally pull out much better live versions than studio.

It's lacking the groove it has on the studio version. More bass, drums and funkiest guitar would be cool. Bono should also shut up when Edge plays at the end, it's annoying!

This is a song that would benefit if played from the I-stage, drum kit has more stuff, etc.... just my 2 cent.

Reach me Now, Troubles and Crystal Ballroom are quite a challenge. Not because they are hard to play (there are awesome covers of Crystal Ballroom in Youtube, much better than U2 version last night), but because the band always seems to think their album versions are not good enough and try to change things.

Troubles only needs an extended solo (brilliantly performed by The Edge on this tour). Reach me Now and Crystall just need to be played like they are played on the album version. Everything is already there, and it's perfect. Tempo, chords progression, bass, guitar, drums, the right mix.

Erm the live version of the troubles already has an extended solo

It's not bad, but I think it's unusually reminiscent of his solo of Kite on the Vertigo Tour.

Edge's solo work is far away from his best days... But The Troubles is still a better live song because of it.

Amen!

Happy they played Crystal, but yes, a bit flat for a live version, far below the studio one, which is unusual for U2 who normally pull out much better live versions than studio.

It's lacking the groove it has on the studio version. More bass, drums and funkiest guitar would be cool.

Edge's solo, I could feel it resonating through my legs. And I thought Adam's bass was spot on the sound mix. I don't remember the drums. Too busy dancing and singing.

Edge's solo, I could feel it resonating through my legs. And I thought Adam's bass was spot on the sound mix. I don't remember the drums. Too busy dancing and singing.

A lot will get lost in the mix when you compress a video, hence why I always find judging a show just by watching a video isn't entirely accurate

I just say what s come to my mind after 2-3 youtube listenings..... Hopefully it s a lot better if you re at the concert!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Totally off topic but don't know where else to ask. Doesn't bother me at all but why do you think they chose to go without a support act? Quite unusual these days no? They felt it would affect the theme of the show? They wanted to get to bed at a reasonable hour? Just kidding, but I am curious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom