2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
** I&E Tour Stage CONFIRMED **

U2.com posted a presentation just like they did for 360 tour showing the in all its glory.

Its now confirmed the stage will be in the middle of the GA floor - the long catwalk. There is no End Stage/Rear end stage or "B" stage.

Its looks like Larry Mullen Jnr's drum kit will be on a rounded platform which I predict will turn 360 degrees.

In addition the screens will be located above the stage similar to the 360 screen but a double sided screen - no idea if the screen expands.

The sides of the stage showed the bands guitar technicians - the interactive presentation also showed a mini orchestra to the right of the stage

Too bad it looks like the link was taken down.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well dammit.

If someone tweets something they instantly regret and deletes it 2 seconds later screencaps still show up, so someone hopefully grabbed it.

This sounds similar to the stage setup from the recent Foo Fighter's show at the Forum. They had a round stage that spun. It was great in that there was no bad seat or spot on the floor. I don't imagine U2 will have their entire stage spinning because that's just dangerous where Bono is concerned. :lol: But i9t should make things interesting.

Sounds like Larry is going to be working up and down the shaft faster than a $5 hooker.

Screenshot? Anyone? Bueller?

"Mini orchestra". And there was me thinking that the strings were only for the promotional appearances.

"Mini orchestra". And there was me thinking that the strings were only for the promotional appearances.

Either they'll take their own little string section on tour with them, or they will just hire locally in each city and just send music ahead. But then they'd probably have to rehearse with the string section before each city too. Who knows. I'm not really worried about the string section if it's only used for 3-4 songs. Maybe we'll get the orchestra version of "One", which I've always loved. "One" is a song that was getting stale in it's live arrangement, so I'd welcome the change. Then of course, we might have to hear "Miss Sarajevo" again. Beautiful song, but after being played regularly on the last 2 tours, enough is enough. EBW is obviously a guarantee. Maybe an orchestra version of "Staring at the sun" like at the Hollywood Bowl?

My money is on hiring local union talent. It's very expensive to have a backing band, especially a highly trained one, on the road. It's great news to any of you that play in your city's orchestra. My dad got to play with the Transiberian Orchestra once. He said it was a lot of fun. You would imagine playing with U2 is more fun.

Sent from my HTCONE using U2 Interference mobile app

I said this in another thread but let's not overreact. They might just use the orchestra for the acoustic set they have done on every tour since ZooTV.

I pointed out over a month ago that on the San Jose page on Ticketmaster it stated the following:

U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour 2015

SAP Center at San Jose, San Jose, CA
Tue, May 19, 2015 07:30 PM
Details: U2
Please Note: Note: This Concert is in the Round

What's weird is that San Jose seems to be the only page on Ticketmaster that does state that the concert is in the round and also that some tickets, once they arrived from Ticketmaster, stated that they were behind the stage, something that is not true in the concert is in the round. U2 is doing a poor job of informing Ticketmaster of what they are selling.

I'm so looking forward to the orchestra :love:

Didn't see the original image of the stage design, but from what I've read about it it does sound really cool.

Rant Warning!!!!!

Could someone please inform U2 or anyone connected to the band that not everyone who lives in England lives in or around fucking london, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield, just a handful of cities capable of staging a concert.
In the great scheme of things England may not be the largest country on planet Earth, but from where I live you would be stupid to allow anything less than 5 hours drive time, meaning day off on the date and the next day as well, as a self employed, father of three(two of whom are now at Uni) and with the price of tickets and travel I simply cannot afford london, as I'm sure a great many of the population of England can't!!!!!:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

jimmm, while I understand your frustration, you'll have to consider all the countries that didn't even get shows...
They'll come back in 2016, and it's more than likely that they're going to do a show in your area (and mine as well) :)

Maybe the strings/orchestra is just for arrangements, not for an extended acoustic section.

Also, in hindsight, maybe the strings/orchestra is one of the reasons why they're playing only a handful of cities... it's a lot easier to involve 10 mini orchestras each on their own city than with 50 different ones or travelling around with them.

Maybe the strings/orchestra is just for arrangements, not for an extended acoustic section.

Also, in hindsight, maybe the strings/orchestra is one of the reasons why they're playing only a handful of cities... it's a lot easier to involve 10 mini orchestras each on their own city than with 50 different ones or travelling around with them.

Exactly. We just don't know what it's for.

Why do people think hiring a half dozen string performers to travel with then would be a financial burden to fucking U2?

Giant stage that takes up half a football stadium and requires 4 days of setup time? Sure, no problem.

2 cellists and a couple of violinists? Oh my god it's so expensive!!

You people baffle me sometimes.

Clearly it's too early to know what the tour will be like, as the information hasn't all come out yet... but if it does play out where one of the shows is more of an acoustic experience and the other is the pure rock show... and they didn't announce which was which prior to tickets going on sale... it's going to piss a lot of the more casual fans off, which seems to be what they're going for on this album cycle.

I for one am going to be fucking furious if I pay loads of money for a U2 GA ticket and find out that the entire show is acoustic/orchestral.

That would easily be the stupidest decision they would have ever made in their careers if they do that.

Clearly it's too early to know what the tour will be like, as the information hasn't all come out yet... but if it does play out where one of the shows is more of an acoustic experience and the other is the pure rock show... and they didn't announce which was which prior to tickets going on sale... it's going to piss a lot of the more casual fans off, which seems to be what they're going for on this album cycle.

I think that's basically what U2 have been aiming for since the beginning and recent statements that came with the tour announcement have supported this impression. I understand why they wouldn't want to give away any details about which shows they are playing on which date, that would take away from the surprise effect plus I don't think they would want everyone to try and buy tickets only for one show because they think that one is better than the other one (if it's really "rock" vs. "acoustic", which I doubt it is). I think visiting both shows will be the best experience because you'll get both sides of U2.

I think that's basically what U2 have been aiming for since the beginning and recent statements that came with the tour announcement have supported this impression. I understand why they wouldn't want to give away any details about which shows they are playing on which date, that would take away from the surprise effect plus I don't think they would want everyone to try and buy tickets only for one show because they think that one is better than the other one (if it's really "rock" vs. "acoustic", which I doubt it is). I think visiting both shows will be the best experience because you'll get both sides of U2.

But only loonies like us are going to multiple shows.

The majority of fans are attending one show and one show only. And if they find out it's an acoustic show, many will be pissed off, especially I'd they've never seen the band in all their glory before.

Clearly it's all speculation... and if they simply plan on using a small orchestral arrangement at all the shows, then cool...

but if it's an acoustic show and a rock show and they didn't tell anyone prior to selling the tickets, they'll get killed in the general public. Again.

We'll see how it plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom