Trump General Discussion V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is being posted by an international law friend of mine:

"From the DFW lawyers page:
Thanks to SMU Law Professor (retired) Bill Bridge for the following information (As he states, please copy/paste, don't just share!)
--------------------
It is monstrous that we must give this advice to people who live here!
If you are a green card holder (lawful permanent resident) outside of the U.S., please reach out to an immigration attorney before you travel back to the U.S.
If you do plan to travel back to the US, you should fill out a USCIS G-28 form first that officially appoints an attorney to represent you in immigration situations and have that completed form with you as you board your flight.
The refugee program is being halted immediately, for at least 120 days. This will mean that anyone, anywhere in the process, will not move forward. The effort to resettle Syrian refugees in the U.S. is being halted indefinitely.
Other info:
If you are non-citizen, even green card holder (lawful permanent residents), from one of the seven countries named, and you are ALREADY INSIDE the U.S., plan to DELAY all international travel for at least 90 days.
IF YOU LEAVE YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE DENIED RE-ENTRY.
If you are a non-citizen from one of the seven countries named, and you are OUTSIDE of the U.S., you will face issues at the airport upon attempting to re-enter the US.
IF YOU ARE ASKED TO SIGN AN I-407 AT THE AIRPORT OR BORDER DO NOT SIGN IT, ASK FOR THE SUPERVISOR WHO HANDLES LPR ADMISSIONS. If you sign it, you will be giving up your green card.
Please keep looking for updates in the coming days to assess your travel options. If you are facing an emergency at the airport or are returning to the US in the coming days, please have our numbers on hand (CAIR National: 202.488.8787)
Whether you are a citizen or not, do not permit law enforcement to enter your home without a warrant. Even if they have a warrant, you should consult with an attorney before speaking to them. Get copies of business cards of all law enforcement officials, if possible.
(Please copy/paste, don't just share.)"

This IS about "feelings" this is about feeding your feelings of fear.

I think this is nothing more than a test or "feelers" that the administration is trying to see how far they can go, and the reaction of the population, media, and more importantly the other departments of government.

We saw a glimpse of this Monday night with the firing of the AG for going against Trump. They are weeding out the dissenters, and will be replaced with their own "yes" men/women.

I really think the worst is to come. This is the trial period.

I think this is nothing more than a test or "feelers" that the administration is trying to see how far they can go, and the reaction of the population, media, and more importantly the other departments of government.

It's how dealmakers like Trump work. Start audacious and settle on something still audacious but less so in a "compromise" that benefits them.

The policies being proposed are completely insane right now, but it's the SCOTUS changes that we should be really worried about.

i read this article a week ago, it was chilling, and i still haven't been able to shake it. some key points:

On one of my first reporting trips to Vladmir Putin’s Russia — of which there’d be so many that they’d blend into residence — my friend Alex and I got stuck in Moscow traffic a few cars ahead of an EMT van. The siren wailed, the lights whirled, but no one would budge: The ambulance crawled along at the same pace as the rest of us. When I noted this, Alex scoffed. Everyone knows that ambulance drivers make money on the side selling VIP airport rides, he said. Who knows who’s in that van right now? Fuck ’em.

What struck me most, at that moment, was how little difference it made whether his allegation was true, an urban legend, or something that had occurred only once or twice. All you needed for it to matter was for it to be plausible. The moment you lived in a society where someone could conceive of an EMT van used as an Über-Uber, you lived in a society where ambulances no longer received the right of way.

One tends to imagine life in an autocratic regime as dominated by fear and oppression: armed men in the street, total surveillance, chanted slogans, and whispered secrets. It is probably a version of that picture that has been flitting lately through the nightmares of American liberals fretting about the damage a potential autocrat might do to an open society. But residents of a hybrid regime such as Russia’s — that is, an autocratic one that retains the façade of a democracy — know the Orwellian notion is needlessly romantic. Russian life, I soon found out, was marked less by fear than by cynicism: the all-pervasive idea that no institution is to be trusted, because no institution is bigger than the avarice of the person in charge. This cynicism, coupled with endless conspiracy theories about everything, was at its core defensive (it’s hard to be disappointed if you expect the worst). But it amounted to defeatism. And, interestingly, the higher up the food chain you moved, the more you encountered it. Now that Russia has begun to export this Weltanschauung around the world, in the form of nationalist populism embodied here by Donald Trump, I am increasingly tempted to look at my years there for pointers on what to expect in America.

[...]

It was a comfortable illusion. But it fell apart as soon as anyone needed anything from the state or encountered it in any way — especially in the form of the police, who became the practical face of the problem. A traffic stop, a lost passport, even an altercation with a konsierzhka (Russia’s doormen, traditionally elderly women endowed with the superpowers of snooping and snitching): Any of this could feel like swallowing the red pill and waking up outside the Matrix. Suddenly, you were in the world of institutionalized sadism alleviated only by bribery. When you needed to solve a problem involving the state, you used the same ruchnoe upravlenie (“manual control”) as Putin exercised over the country itself: You asked friends of friends. When the director of photography on a TV show I had written suffered a brutal street attack that put him in a coma, the assault was suddenly refiled as a minor misdemeanor 24 hours later: The attacker had evidently paid off the police. Racing against time, his film-industry friends found a personal connection to a higher-ranking officer — and, just like that, the case was re-refiled. Another friend had an apartment stolen from her through a phony sale facilitated by a crooked bank employee; the police would be useless had she not found someone to call the daughter of the bank’s CEO. Moscow, in that sense, was a very small town. But what about the Russians more than a handshake removed from generals and bank CEOs — that is, most of them?

[...]

This, perhaps, was why the Muscovites around me were furiously building as many intermediaries between themselves and the state as they could, effectively privatizing government functions but only for their own benefit. Media managers established private medical clinics; frustrated university students, disgusted with ever-worsening “official” education, organized private student circles, online lecture courses, and educational start-ups. Tidy, modern, for-profit “document centers” proliferated, offering the functions of, say, the DMV without the rudeness and corruption (though, ironically, the only way they could function was by moving this corruption up a few levels). I was beginning to understand why so many Russians who called themselves “liberal” were, in fact, anarcho-libertarians in the Western sense, distrusting the government to perform even the simplest jobs. Even the protest leader Alexei Navalny, whose quixotic campaign for the mayor of Moscow in 2013 briefly regalvanized the movement, ran on a promise to, among other things, privatize the police force. In that sense, the Russian anti-Putinists and Donald Trump have more in common than either side would care to admit (though there are many, many things Trump would privatize before the police forces that helped elect him).

[...]

Trust, on the other hand, is trust. It’s either there or it isn’t. Regardless of how strict or liberal a society’s rule book is, the people either agree to Tinkerbell it into existence or they do not. A wailing ambulance contains either someone who needs help or someone taking you for a sucker. Post-Soviet Russia is a spectacular modern case of what happens when that basic trust between the individual and the institution, any institution, breaks down. And it may now — we shall see — provide some useful lessons for the brave new world the U.S. has just entered.

Lessons From Putin’s Russia for Living in Trump’s America

i read this article a week ago, it was chilling, and i still haven't been able to shake it. some key points:

thing to remember is, life in the US has been very different to Russia in post-war years, and Americans are used to having many freedoms and will hopefully not give them up without a fight

thing to remember is, life in the US has been very different to Russia in post-war years, and Americans are used to having many freedoms and will hopefully not give them up without a fight

let's hope so.

what struck me was the ambulance example. as a small child, i remember being in a car with my mother and pulling over to let the ambulance by. it's something you do. but we do it because we've all agreed to play along and "Tinkerbell" (as the article says) these things into existence. democracy and it's institutions aren't the natural order of things. they must be willed into existence and actively participated in, and if some white nationalist fascist wants to come along and blow them up -- why? wtf do Bannon and Trump actually want? -- then the whole house of cards comes tumbling down.

it's fragile. everyone has to play by the rules.

"The Apprentice, Supreme Court Edition"

giphy.gif

So in this well thought out, legally consulted, planned roll out of the ban/ not ban(administration has used both) at what age is too young to handcuff an innocent child? Do you cut it off at 4? Do they maybe use the plastic grocery store handcuffs at 3?

I mean Spicer says we can't be too careful. What say you?

So this Neil Gorsuch bloke. From what I'm reading he's a clone of Scalia, but not 149 years old, but in fact, 100 years younger than that.

Once a SCOTUS justice is appointed, is that it? Are we now stuck with the bloke til he dies or retires or resigns? There's nothing a different government can do to change it? Like if the Dems by some miracle win in four years time can they change it?

Now the Republicans blocked Obama's nominee to fill Scalia's spot last year right? They better have something fucking balls and do everything in their power to block this cunt's appointment.

So this Neil Gorsuch bloke. From what I'm reading he's a clone of Scalia, but not 149 years old, but in fact, 100 years younger than that.

Once a SCOTUS justice is appointed, is that it? Are we now stuck with the bloke til he dies or retires or resigns? There's nothing a different government can do to change it? Like if the Dems by some miracle win in four years time can they change it?

Now the Republicans blocked Obama's nominee to fill Scalia's spot last year right? They better have something fucking balls and do everything in their power to block this cunt's appointment.

SCOTUS is a lifetime appointment.

Justices can be impeached by Congress similar to POTUS. Hasn't happened since 1969, when a justice resigned under threat of impeachment.

Last edited:
Khizr Khan, Gold Star Father, on the New Refugee Ban - The New Yorker

How are Muslims elsewhere in the world reacting?
Internationally, it has given platform to our enemies. They are now telling the world’s more than 1.6 billion Muslims, “Haven’t we been telling you that America is at war with Islam?”

It puts the lives of our men and women serving in these countries in danger.
Almost five thousand died in Iraq, where my son died. The coterie of people who surround Trump is so bent on their racist and Islamophobic agenda that they do not see the harm and danger that these executive orders are causing.

I am sure that when (not if) any form of retaliation strikes the US, Trump/Bannon will use that as a "told you so" instead of a "you reap what you sow".

“I obviously can’t pretend to know the intentions of the new President, but let’s pretend the power consolidation move is what’s actually happening.”
~ from the link posted

This fear mongering that Trump is leading the U.S into a fascist regime is not based on any facts. It also ignores the check and balances as given in the U.S Constitution. It isn’t going to happen.

Fascist?

Quote:
In a 2015 interview with MSNBC, Trump indicated that the Supreme Court's ruling allowing gay marriage should stand.

Trump's pick for attorney general, Republican U.S. Senator Jeff Sessions, has pledged to enforce laws upheld by the Supreme Court, even those he disagreed with, such as decisions making abortion and same-sex marriage legal.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-vows-continue-lgbt-workplace-164018297.html

“I obviously can’t pretend to know the intentions of the new President, but let’s pretend the power consolidation move is what’s actually happening.”
~ from the link posted

This fear mongering that Trump is leading the U.S into a fascist regime is not based on any facts. It also ignores the check and balances as given in the U.S Constitution. It isn’t going to happen.

Fascist?

Quote:
In a 2015 interview with MSNBC, Trump indicated that the Supreme Court's ruling allowing gay marriage should stand.

Trump's pick for attorney general, Republican U.S. Senator Jeff Sessions, has pledged to enforce laws upheld by the Supreme Court, even those he disagreed with, such as decisions making abortion and same-sex marriage legal.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-vows-continue-lgbt-workplace-164018297.html

That's not how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom