Trump General Discussion V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting article, but I disagree with the chess analogy. What Trump is doing is a big Ponzi/ pyramid scheme. Chess requires strategy, which he has, but it also requires forethought, which he doesn't.

My concern is that after years of labeling everything Orwellian and talking about government overreaching you finally have real examples of Orwellian tactics and government shutting down discussion, and you're absolutely silent. Why?

Is it just because he's Republican?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Where has he overreached over anything yet. Did President Obama ever overreach?

I'm am not a Republican. His threat of a tariff on goods from Mexico is not a good idea. If this happens, goods from Mexico will cost more and we will pay for the wall.

I just try to call it as I see it. I don't care what political party it is.

Last edited:

I'm am not a Republican. His threat of a tariff on goods from Mexico is not a good idea. If this happens, goods from Mexico will cost more and we will pay for the wall.

I just try to call it as I see it, not to protect any political party.

No trust me, we ALL know if Obama called for a ban of media to any government agency, if he would have held press conferences in order just to boost his ego, if he would have flat out lied and said he called off the meeting instead of Mexico, if he had his administration telling you listen to government not the free press all in the first week you would have been calling for his impeachment.

What do you do? You go beyond turning your head and ignoring it, you say it can't be Orwellian because he's the hero. It's blatant hypocrisy, and you allow it because it's your team. The old ironhorse would have been calling him out on this.

And we were always paying for the wall, let's not be naive.

Last edited:
His threat of a tariff on goods from Mexico is not a good idea. If this happens, goods from Mexico will cost more and we will pay for the wall.

Thank you for finally not blindly praising him on everything.

this might cheer (most of) you guys up a bit... or make you cry/point and laugh/wonder at the stupidity of fellow human beings

Twitter Is Full Of Trump Voters Who Regret Their Decision And It's Bittersweet

I particularly love the people who are telling him to quit bitching about crowds and voter fraud and start doing his job.

But wow. Yeah. Those complaints. I'm glad to see them FINALLY starting to wake up to the fact that he's not going to do shit for them, but...gee, it's almost like people tried to warn them of that fact before the election or something! Maybe they'll actually try paying some attention next time.

You're going to pay for that wall one way or another.

You either need to accept this (if the wall is SO important to you) or you need to fight back since you voted for the premise of somebody else paying for it (hence you may need to admit you were naïve/stupid/whatever).

There really is no other option for you at this stage. The rest of us all knew that this was an absurdity.

Oh and by the way, that thing can't be built for $12-15BN and everybody who has 2 brain cells to rub together knows it.

But Don's gonna get us a real good deal on that wall. It's gonna be so great. We're not gonna believe how good the deal will be.

I just try to call it as I see it. I don't care what political party it is.
Only the Mexico thing? Not the fact he seems delusional in claiming mass voting fraud or the fact Russian sanctions are about to be lifted? How can he be so brazen in showing treason?....

Trump aide Conway - removing Russian sanctions on the cards in call with Putin tomorrow... Britain has been strongest remaining advocate https://t.co/hWr5YRxuEh

But Don's gonna get us a real good deal on that wall. It's gonna be so great. We're not gonna believe how good the deal will be.

Oh yeah, he'll mix the damn concrete with his own tiny hands if he has to.

Nevermind the upfront cost, nevermind the difficulty in actually ascertaining where in the desert the border line runs, nevermind that a project of this scale needs the world's largest construction companies to participate and they don't want to piss off their shareholders, nevermind that the end result is that Ike & Mike's Construction Yuma YUGE! will have to do it without the expertise...all of that still says nothing of the billions of dollars that will be required on an ongoing basis to maintain and rehabilitate that wall every year.

But I'm glad America has no other priorities for its cash. I don't know what those rust belt voters were so bitter about. Looks like it's raining money!

Trump's voter fraud claims might be more credible if it wasn't by the exact margin he lost the popular vote by.

he actually said in a televised interview "none of those votes were for me" SERIOUSLY :crack:

from www.reddit.com/r/engineering/:

Xk84t8S.jpg

There are very few occasions in American political discourse that require the input of a structural engineer, but when Donald Trump took a question from Univision’s Jorge Ramos regarding his proposed United States-Mexico border wall at a press conference on August 25, I heard the clarion call:

RAMOS: How are you going to build a 1,900-mile wall?
TRUMP: Very easy. I’m a builder. That’s easy. I build buildings that are — can I tell you what’s more complicated? What’s more complicated is building a building that’s 95 stories tall. Okay?

No. Donald Trump is not a builder. Donald Trump could not build a doghouse. Donald Trump is a developer who pays what he would call “very, very smart people” to build things on his behalf. His response to Ramos’ question was meant both to exaggerate his understanding of construction and to downplay the challenges posed by his border wall project.

Though I would never classify the construction of a 95-story building as simple, it is a feat that has been achieved many times before. There are at least 30 buildings that have reached a height of 95 stories or more, according to the obsessively detailed database at SkyscraperPage.com, and there are even more in the design phase or under construction.

On the other hand, human beings have built a 2,000-mile-long frontier wall exactly one time. Once. And it was accomplished only through a centuries-long building campaign that necessitated the forced labor of millions of Chinese peasants.

The challenge of Trump’s border wall is not technical, but logistical. The leap in complexity between “building a wall” and “building a 2,000-mile-long continuous border wall in the desert” is about equal to the gap between “killing a guy” and “waging a protracted land war.” Trump’s border wall, if built as he has described it, would be one of the largest civil works projects in the history of the country and would face an array of challenges not found when constructing 95-story skyscrapers.

In order to adequately answer Mr. Ramos’ question, let’s first make some assumptions on the project’s scope: A successful border wall must be effective, cheap, and easily maintained. It should be built from readily available materials and should take advantage of the capabilities of the existing labor force. The wall should reach about five feet underground to deter tunneling, and should terminate about 20 feet above grade to deter climbing.

OHUEOcM.jpg

To be classified as a “wall” rather than a “fence,” the barrier must also be a continuous, non-porous construction. This distinction might seem purely semantic, but Trump has made himself very clear on the matter, saying, “A wall is better than fencing, and it’s much more powerful. It’s more secure. It’s taller.” So we’ll take him at his word: He wants to build a wall.

One of the biggest choices that a builder has to make is what material to use for his or her project. For Trump’s wall, I would first dismiss concrete masonry unit (commonly called cinderblock) construction because each block would have to be put in place and set in mortar by hand. The finished product would probably be acceptable, but construction would be outrageously labor intensive and therefore costly.

Next, I would dismiss steel wire mesh. While it is cheap and readily available, it can be easily penetrated by a pair of wire cutters, an angle grinder, an oxy-acetylene torch, or just a Chevy going really fast. Even though extant barrier sections along the border make use of wire mesh, the United States Border Patrol is constantly battling to repair breaches and, as stated above, this kind of barrier really falls into the category of “fence.”

That leaves concrete. A concrete wall would meet all of the basic project requirements. There are two major types of concrete construction:
•cast-in-place, where wet, plastic concrete is brought in trucks to a job site, cast into formwork, and then cured; and
•pre-cast concrete, where the concrete is cast in a controlled indoor environment, cured, and then shipped to the construction site for assembly.

The hot, dry climate in the border regions would complicate cast-in-place construction because high heat tends to screw up the chemical reactions that cause concrete to harden.

I drew up a quick design option for a pre-cast concrete wall, not dissimilar to many proprietary systems currently on the market. This design consists of I-shaped concrete columns spaced at 10 feet on center, with eight-inch-thick wall panels spanning in between them. In such a design, the only concrete that would need to be cast on site would be for the foundations. The columns would anchored to the foundations, and the wall panels are slipped in place from above.

ZIYCAKi.jpg

If we assume a border wall length of 1,954 miles (there are 600 or so miles of existing border barrier, but much of this would not qualify for Trump’s wall), then we can make some estimates as to the volume of concrete needed for the project:
•Foundation: 6 feet deep, 18 inch radius = 42.4 cubic feet
•Column: 4 square feet area by 30 feet tall = 120 cubic feet
•Wall panels: 25 feet tall by 10 feet long by 8 inches thick = 166.7 cubic feet
•Total concrete per 10-foot segment = 329.1 cubic feet
•1,954 miles = 10,300,00 feet = 1,030,000 segments (10-feet long each)
•1,030,000 segments * 329.1 cubic feet per segment = 339,000,000 cubic feet = 12,555,000 cubic yards. (The cubic yard is the standard unit of measure of concrete volume in the United States.)

Twelve million, six hundred thousand cubic yards. In other words, this wall would contain over three times the amount of concrete used to build the Hoover Dam — a project that, unlike Trump’s wall, has qualitative, verifiable economic benefits.

Such a wall would be greater in volume than all six pyramids of the Giza Necropolis — and it is unlikely that a concrete slab in the town of Dead Dog Valley, Texas would inspire the same timeless sense of wonder.

That quantity of concrete could pave a one-lane road from New York to Los Angeles, going the long way around the Earth, which would probably be just as useful.

Concrete, of course, requires reinforcing steel (or rebar). A reasonable estimate for the amount of rebar would be about 3 percent of the total wall size, resulting in a steel volume of 10,190,000 cubic feet, or about 5 billion pounds. We could melt down 4 of our Nimitz-class aircraft carriers and would probably still be a few cruisers short of having enough steel.

But the challenge is far greater than simply collecting the necessary raw materials. All of these hundreds of miles of wall would need to be cast in concrete facilities, probably project-specific ones that have been custom built near the border. Then, the pre-cast wall pieces would need to be shipped by truck through the inhospitable, often roadless desert.

The men and women doing the work of actually installing the wall would have to be provided with food, water, shelter, lavatory facilities, safety equipment, transportation, and medical care, and would sometimes be miles away from a population center of any size. Sure, some people would be willing to do the work, but at what price? Would Trump hire Mexicans?

This analysis also ignores the less sexy aspects of large-scale engineering projects: surveying, land acquisition, environmental review, geological studies, maintenance, excavating for foundations, and so on. Theoretically President Trump may be able to executive-order his way through the laser grid of lawsuits that normally impede this kind of work, but he can’t ignore the physical realities of construction.

Trump’s border wall is not impossible, but it would certainly be a more challenging endeavor than he would ever lead you to believe. Maybe he should stick to 95-story buildings.

q1qvNiF.png

Last edited:
Oh yeah, he'll mix the damn concrete with his own tiny hands if he has to.

Nevermind the upfront cost, nevermind the difficulty in actually ascertaining where in the desert the border line runs, nevermind that a project of this scale needs the world's largest construction companies to participate and they don't want to piss off their shareholders, nevermind that the end result is that Ike & Mike's Construction Yuma YUGE! will have to do it without the expertise...all of that still says nothing of the billions of dollars that will be required on an ongoing basis to maintain and rehabilitate that wall every year.

But I'm glad America has no other priorities for its cash. I don't know what those rust belt voters were so bitter about. Looks like it's raining money!

He'll know who to stiff in the end. Working on the Mexican Wall like that, it's really great exposure for the company that does it. You won't have to pay them. Think about it: you can't put a price on that kind of exposure -- with all the big deal names that will see The Wall, they'll get so many new contracts because it's such a high profile Trump contract. Savings right there. Boom.

That's how it works, guys.

Trump's voter fraud claims might be more credible if it wasn't by the exact margin he lost the popular vote by.

I know it seems petty, and he doesn't like to lose, and he lost, so that's part of it, but the Brannon-angle of this petulance is an excuse to purge voter roles, add additional ID requirements, and limit voting.

They don't want black people to vote. It's that simple. And it likely worked in WI, NC, and FL. Even PA.

These are bad people.

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/825017459530936320

British press corp is locked outside the White House because our birthdates were submitted in UK format and secret service don't get it.

Somehow I don't think that's the real reason!

Reading that tweet and its responses the date format does seem to be the issue for many. The person who tweeted the situation apparently did got in as his birthday is March 23rd. So 23-03-YYYY did make someone realize what was the day and what was the month.
Still, :doh:

A lot has happened this week.

So what have we learned? Things conservatives Trumpicans are cool with today, but not prior to January 20th.

Private servers, these are cool now.
Having government controlled media.
Having a president that just claims to be Christian.
Flat out lying, also very chic now.
Shutting down political discussion.
Russia, Russia is very cool now; their leader, lifting sanctions so our possible Sec Of State can make billions, oh and their propaganda sites.

Maybe this should be a thread in of itself :hmm:

For what it's worth in that Tweet's thread, there was an American journalist who claims to have had the same issue when he went to England. And someone else said it's been an issue before, so this isn't necessarily yet another thing to add to the Trumpster Fire Pile.

So first Trump pointed to a report that said 3 million illegal votes, then that author said you can't read that's nowhere in my report, then Trump attacks the author, and now his source is a guy that has an app to sell that claims he has names?

But it will take a few months?

How hard is it to type 3 million Hispanic sounding names?

And you Trumpicans buy this?

And this guy claimed within 5 days after the election there were 3-5 million fraudulent votes

But will take months to produce the evidence. This will be like his taxes. It'll keep getting pushed back and pushed back, but laws will be drafted to restrict the vote....because well "We're hearing the evidence will be released soon, but we can't wait"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom