Trump General Discussion V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Trump-friendly, extreme right terrorist who attacked the mosque in Canada has killed more people than all refugees admitted to the US since 1975.

https://www.ft.com/content/a8798b58-e347-11e6-8405-9e5580d6e5fb

Also, this is what "flooded with refugees" looks like:

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fad3529f6-e3e5-11e6-8405-9e5580d6e5fb

But, but, but they are so dangerous!!1!

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fa828f5b4-e3e5-11e6-8405-9e5580d6e5fb

This is not about security. It's about keeping people of color/non-Christians out of the country.

Last edited:
It's a good thing, but FADA and SCOTUS nominee are coming, so there will be lots of ways to punish the gays for existing.
Yeah, it seems that the rumour Obama's 2014 executive order could be revoked was instigated by the Trump team to create this bit of "good news" so that we all have someting to celebrate while they will make decision after decision to the detriment of the LGBTQ community.

I know that many people wish RBG would have retired during Obama's term, and there may be some merit to that, but the Republicans weren't even willing to confirm a bland centrist like Garland, so there is no way you'd have gotten a replacement for RBG who is of the same persuasion/viewpoint.

I don't understand why they have to appoint a new SCOTUS justice? There are only 45 months until the next presidential election, we should allow the people to be heard.

I know that many people wish RBG would have retired during Obama's term, and there may be some merit to that, but the Republicans weren't even willing to confirm a bland centrist like Garland, so there is no way you'd have gotten a replacement for RBG who is of the same persuasion/viewpoint.

I don't understand why they have to appoint a new SCOTUS justice? There are only 45 months until the next presidential election, we should allow the people to be heard.
The Democrats have already said they don't want to fight Trump's first nominee because they have to fight his second nominee.

Burn down the Democratic Party and start over with leftists with conviction.

Yes, this. There's no law that says we have to have 9 justices. We once had 7.

What was important to McConnell was that the willmof the people be reflected in the new nominee, and given the 3m votes that Hillary won by, it's quite clear she was the people's choice.

This must be set aside until we can have a new election where POTUS has won the popular vote -- that's the true reflection of the will of the people, which is the standard here.

I know what you mean, but I think things might have been different replacing RBG than replacing Scalia. Replacing RBG with someone somewhat left-ish would not have fundamentally changed the makeup of the SCOTUS. However, replacing Scalia with a moderate would have. It would have left the court with four bona fide liberals, Kennedy (who has more and more sided with the liberals on things important to conservatives), Roberts (who occasionally throws a bone to the left to protect his legacy), Garland (who probably would have generally sided with the left), and only two bona fide conservatives. I think that explains why the GOP was willing to take a risky bet against confirming Garland in a way that they may not have with RBG.

I know what you mean, but I think things might have been different replacing RBG than replacing Scalia. Replacing RBG with someone somewhat left-ish would not have fundamentally changed the makeup of the SCOTUS. However, replacing Scalia with a moderate would have. It would have left the court with four bona fide liberals, Kennedy (who has more and more sided with the liberals on things important to conservatives), Roberts (who occasionally throws a bone to the left to protect his legacy), Garland (who probably would have generally sided with the left), and only two bona fide conservatives. I think that explains why the GOP was willing to take a risky bet against confirming Garland in a way that they may not have with RBG.

and is also why they ultimately backed Trump - placing party before country.

but many/most don't/didn't believe that Trump represented their party's vision.

I do agree with that. Defending Trump is the epitome of spinelessness.

The refusal to consider Garland, however, is more understandable if I adopt a genuine belief that a left-leaning SCOTUS is bad for the US.

Wait what the hell is this a joke

Surprisingly great news, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Yeah, it seems that the rumour Obama's 2014 executive order could be revoked was instigated by the Trump team to create this bit of "good news" so that we all have someting to celebrate while they will make decision after decision to the detriment of the LGBTQ community.
Seriously, this was actual fake news, and by getting worked up over it before there was confirmation it was real plays exactly into the game they Trump party has been playing all along. Now he gets to look moderate to those in the middle, and the people on the left get to be chicken littles who bought what that "fake news" peddling MSM was selling them.

It's NOT OK to just panic over every rumor you hear. Stick to the facts, this is true for BOTH sides.
The Republicans won't do anything. Trump is a Republican. He has pulled the mask off on the niceities, but he's still a true conservative with his policy positions. Republicans are racists, sexists, xenophobes, homophobes, all of that. Just no more dog whistles.

You seriously aren't helping. How can anyone have a conversation if you're so shut off like this?

You seriously aren't helping. How can anyone have a conversation if you're so shut off like this?
I'm talking specifically about Republican politicians. I hold them in much greater contempt than I do Republican voters. So I want that to be clear in case it was not. However, if you have a problem with me speaking frankly and dismissively about the GOP congress, I can't help you there.

I'm talking specifically about Republican politicians. I hold them in much greater contempt than I do Republican voters. So I want that to be clear in case it was not. However, if you have a problem with me speaking frankly and dismissively about the GOP congress, I can't help you there.
No, we're good I was not clear with your meaning it seemed broader in scope. My mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom