The 2010-2011 NBA Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the 3 of them spent so much time with fancy ass commercials and endorsements and not enough time on the basketball court.

No chemistry between them at all. Hopefully they find it.

Heat did a good job - readjusting the expectations,
I think they will get it together over the next few games and have a strong season.

I did rather enjoy the Heat answering the crowds 'overrated' chant.

None the less, they still lost. Considering how bad they performed though, and still almost stole a victory, I'm not worried.

So much for not having a bench... it was the fact that Bosh and Wade were nonexistent that cost them this match. Or excuse me, they were existent. I dont think anyone couldnt see the combined 29 shots they missed.

I'm sure he's had it down for a while now, I haven't been paying attention, but Yao Ming's mastery of the English language is fucking impressive.

I could have sworn that I was watching the Cavs from any of the last five years tonight. LeBron plays tentatively for three quarters, and then completely dominates the ball for the rest of the game. The rest of the team stands and watches him. Spoelstra had better not fall into the Mike Brown mode, or Riley will be on those sidelines by the All-Star break.

What? The Heat can only lose 11 games the rest of the year?

I hope some of these talking heads feel like fucking morons right now.

I could have sworn that I was watching the Cavs from any of the last five years tonight. LeBron plays tentatively for three quarters, and then completely dominates the ball for the rest of the game. The rest of the team stands and watches him. Spoelstra had better not fall into the Mike Brown mode, or Riley will be on those sidelines by the All-Star break.

I'd welcome it.

What? The Heat can only lose 11 games the rest of the year?

I hope some of these talking heads feel like fucking morons right now.

For the sake of argument... it was the ECC Boston Celtics. Who got even better in the offseason.

Not that I'm saying they will win 70 games, but one game isn't exactly an amazing sample size either.

BLACK MAMBA.

STEVE BLAKE.

Steve Blake, Whitesnake?
Whitesnake.jpg

For the sake of argument... it was the ECC Boston Celtics. Who got even better in the offseason.

A 74 win team finds a way to win that game. I'm not taking a dump on your team (I've got all season to do that), it's just going to be nice to see all the 70+ win prognosticators backpedal all day.

None the less, they still lost. Considering how bad they performed though, and still almost stole a victory, I'm not worried.

you should be.

the score is not the most important thing we saw last night. both teams were sloppy, both teams were rusty... but the celtics looked like a TEAM that was just starting their season, getting the kinks out, while the heat looked like a collection of players who were just grouped together without regard for whether or not those players actually FIT together.

first to boston. #1 highlight for me is that garnett looked good. not a dominating scoring night, but he looked a lot more active than he did all last year. great sign for boston. ray allen was still ray allen, paul pierce was still paul pierce, rondo was rondo. marquis daniels looked a lot more comfortable than he did last year, but he'll need to do that night in and night out. nate robinson's decision making would still be a major worry for me. 4 foot tall guys just shouldn't be jacking up all those shots. when perkins comes back the celtics are going to have great height and length, and great depth down on the block with the two o'neal's, perkins, large infant, and of course KG.

major concern for me with boston is that they still seem to get complacent with large leads, they stop playing with the same pace and off the ball movement that got them the big lead in the first place, and they let teams back into the game that have no business getting back into the game. that will be the last part of rondo's maturation process, to be a true floor general and extension of his coach on the floor and help stop the malaise that seems to set in for the celtics on offense at times. would also be nice if they could swap out robinson for a legit backup point guard.

and then there's miami... they will get better, no question. they're going to win a lot of games, yes. lebron is too talented for them to not be good (especially when he's allowed to bulldoze over players without fear of getting called for a charge, but that's another issue). and the loss of mike miller is devastating to this team.

that said... i thought i was watching the cavs out there last night. the ghost of mike brown was haunting my television set. they just go out there and try to go 1v1 on everyone. which yea, they're talented enough where it's going to work a lot. but that doesn't win championships, i don't care who you put on the floor. you're not going to win in the playoffs doing that.

so major red flags with miami...

#1 - the big 2 1/2 don't fit together. wade is just a smaller, not as good lebron. he needs the ball in his hands and needs to go 1v1. he's not an off the ball player. lebron is not an off the ball player. bosh is a big who doesn't play in the post, but can't shoot the three, so he can't stretch the floor to give space for the other two. this is an AAU team... a collection of talent forced together and told to be good. it will be very difficult for them to find any sort of synergy.

#2 - they have no depth. their bench sucks. nay, their roster sucks after the big 2 1/2. arroyo is a backup point at best, jor el anthony BLOOOOOOOOOOOOWS. he sucks. great, he brings energy and hustle. whoopety damn do. that's fine for a backup. but that ain't gonna be fine against KG, boozer, pau and certainly not dwight howard.

which is of course #3... no size. all of the elite teams that miami will have to beat have elite big men (or today's equivalent of an elite big man). most of the teams have more than one. who on miami is going to stop them? who? they couldn't contain shaq, and he's 97 years old. dwight howard must be salivating at the thought of being guarded by jor el anthony? 72 year old big Z? juwan howard?!?! i was shocked to learn that juwan howard was still alive, let alone still in the NBA. even the lone quality big that they do have, bosh, isn't a good post player.

and lastly #4... the only way this team can be successful and compete with the elite teams in this league is to be a transition team... ferocious pressure defense, control the boards, break out and get easy baskets. they don't have the players to be a great half court team.

forget about riley returning to the sidelines to turn this time around... if he really wants to turn it around he'd trade wade for a few pieces that fit better... i.e. a true point and a serviceable big, 'cause this shit ain't gonna work come playoff time. it will work in the regular season, but they can't expect to go 1v1 with three good dudes and a team full of bums and expect to beat any of the elite teams in the league in a 7 game series.

there is the question, of course, on whether or not we are witnessing, pun intended, a pair of NBA superstars who, because of how american grassroots basketball has devolved into AAU garbage, are incapable of running a true offensive system, because frankly they don't know how. wade at least played a few years in college and should be able to remember what it was like... but lebron his entire life has played where he needs to have the ball and everyone else stands still and lets him do all the work. he doesn't know anything else. maybe it wasn't mike brown's fault.

at the very least i believe pat riley is a strong enough presence in the history of the game that he would be able to convince these guys of playing a real system and not the garbage we saw last night.

somewhere kobe bryant is laughing.

the last one on pierce was so brutally bad that it's not even worth discussing. i can't even make the argument that the NBA is rigged for stars off of that call because it was such an unbelievably awful call that nobody with a brain who was rigging a game would even make that call because it would make what they were doing too obvious.

it was just one of the worst calls i've ever seen, at least since this weekend when pittsburgh got their own fumble back.

see what i did there?

How about watching him play, can we say it now?
I dont think he was that bad... he grabbed 7 rebounds in 16 minutes last night. Did all we can ask for defensively considering his size... and the Heat played a good defensive game last night.

A 74 win team finds a way to win that game. I'm not taking a dump on your team (I've got all season to do that), it's just going to be nice to see all the 70+ win prognosticators backpedal all day.

Where did I ever say the Heat would win 70+ games? I do recall saying that at best they could.

If you want my words, and I'll stand by them, the Heat have the chance to become a dynasty if these top 3 can create chemistry.

and the Heat played a good defensive game last night.

no, they didn't. boston had plenty of open shots. they weren't making any, and missed a ton of easy 5 foot and in shots, especially early. boston could have easily had miami down 25+ in the first half if they had only hit a few more layups.

boston dominated the game with the exception of about 8 minutes. miami made two "runs". late third/early fourth & late fourth. the first run happened partially at a time when doc had KG, pierce, allen and rondo all on the bench... because, yea... it's the first game of the year.

Maybe he was talking about the "70 win prognosticators." Maybe he said that in the exact post you're quoting. Maybe.

Dude will you just give it a rest already? He quoted me specifically. And he was talking to me. I can only think he's referring to me when he follows a sentence up where he's talking. To me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom