2011 MLB Thread - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty happy with the Yankees staying idle at the deadline. Now bring up Montero already.

Agreed. With Soriano back, and A-Rod back in a few weeks....there was no real glaring need.....

That being said, if they make the playoffs I suspect their lack of a true #2 starter will bite them in the ass.

How old are you, LN7? How vivid are your memories of either Marlins WS title?

I'm 19. 1997, I don't remember at all. Mainly because I wasn't really involved in the MLB or baseball at all during that age (I'm first generation American). I remember the 2003 season vividly. It was my first season where I really followed baseball, and so of course I remember the 2003 World Series vividly as well.

Of course, I imagined you asked that just so you can say something about the Cubs, Pirates, etc. :lol:

I'm 19. 1997, I don't remember at all. Mainly because I wasn't really involved in the MLB or baseball at all during that age (I'm first generation American). I remember the 2003 season vividly. It was my first season where I really followed baseball, and so of course I remember the 2003 World Series vividly as well.

Of course, I imagined you asked that just so you can say something about the Cubs, Pirates, etc. :lol:

I only asked because I was genuinely curious.

Not sure if you pay much attention to my posts or not, but I don't usually waste my time, or anyone else's, doing a lot of sports hating. Unless the topic is ESPN/Bill Simmons.

No, just asked because I didn't know quite how old you were so was not sure if you were lucky enough to have some cherished WS memories.

Thank you for responding.

Ah, okay gotcha. Excuse me for assuming...

I mean it is wonderful that I got to experience that. It's just... ever since... there's been nothing close. We've been a team static in the standings outside looking in for almost a decade since.

Oh, yeah, it's not like I was trying to say "don't complain about your team, at least you won 2 WS" because that would be bullshit....the afterglow lasts a season, maybe, and then it's "what have you done for me lately", at least for most sports fans.

I just think those of us that have been lucky enough to see our teams win a championship are really lucky and I didn't know if you were a fan then, or if you even lived in the area at the time, etc....

I know you love the NHL, so, for me....I am a life-long Islander fan....and, yeah, winning 4 cups in a row was astounding and I'm glad I got to witness it....but not winning a fucking playoff series since 1993 tends to render one a tad bitter.

Agreed. With Soriano back, and A-Rod back in a few weeks....there was no real glaring need.....

That being said, if they make the playoffs I suspect their lack of a true #2 starter will bite them in the ass.

If Colon is healthy in October I wouldn't mind having him start game 2. Probably more confortable than with AJ starting game 2 in 2009.

Very pleased. If Neftali can return to 2010 form, it's suddenly a pretty formidable bullpen.

Even if he can't, those cats, especially Adams, should really help.

Sad that yesterday, was flipping around and saw that Holland had a shutout going in the 8th and thought to myself "The Dutch Oven is really heating up this Summer".....only to see your post later in the day.

Indeed. The Dutch Oven has been positively scintillating over the last few weeks.

BoSox fans,

Good luck with Erik Bedard. When he's healthy, he's very good. I hope he stays healthy because he's worked his ass off to get healthy.

Oh, yeah, it's not like I was trying to say "don't complain about your team, at least you won 2 WS" because that would be bullshit....the afterglow lasts a season, maybe, and then it's "what have you done for me lately", at least for most sports fans.

I just think those of us that have been lucky enough to see our teams win a championship are really lucky and I didn't know if you were a fan then, or if you even lived in the area at the time, etc....

I know you love the NHL, so, for me....I am a life-long Islander fan....and, yeah, winning 4 cups in a row was astounding and I'm glad I got to witness it....but not winning a fucking playoff series since 1993 tends to render one a tad bitter.

Very much yes to paragraph #1 here in TO - even though the Leafs consistently break hearts (and I'm saying that as a Leafs fan as well), they consistently get a full house because tickets are always hard to come by (fucking scalpers :madwife:). OTOH, the Jays have had problems filling the Skydome (NOT calling it by that "other" name) since a year or two after the back to back WS victories in 92 and 93 because they haven't had a playoff run. They've come close a few times, but the May or June swoons that seem to happen with some consistency always cost them :sad:

It's been a little better last year and this year with the "Hustle and Heart" team we have, and the emergence of Bautista, Romero and Morrow. But it's hard remembering those teams of 92 and 93 - or for those of us who are older, the excitement of the first ever playoff runs in 85, 87 and 89 - and seeing what the Jays had then, especially after being at the game yesterday where they retired Alomar's #12... The WAMCO line, the defence, the pitching... :sigh:

I still remember being mad that it was an afternoon game and I missed actually witnessing Bell's catch that ended the game and won them the AL East *g* And let's not even talk about the :censored: 85 KC Royals...

Did anyone hear about the joke that the Marlins clubhouse played on Leo Nunez?

Jack McKeon told him that he was traded to the Cubs... everyone was in on it. Apparently it was pretty funny.

Dustin Ackley is my new favorite Mariner. It used to be Felix. But Felix only goes one of five games. Ackley goes every game. Probably the best pure hitter we've had since Edgar. Doesn't have the power of Griffey or A-Rod, but wow does the ball jump off his bat! 1.7 WAR in the first 35 games for him!

Good job, The Peav!

But not good enough.

See you tomorrow, GAF.

Neither CC nor Jake were pitching with their proverbial "A" stuff (seemed like we had men on base every inning against CC), but both were able to put together very solid outings and keep their teams in it late. Nice to see two tough veterans going at it.

The key play in the game for me was probably Lillibridge failing to get the bunt down with two men on, nobody out in the 5th. We suck at bunting.

GreinkeDugout.gif.opt.gif

Zack Greinke looks like a serial killer.

Jason Isringhausen is the best.

Somehow on a night that Omar Infante of all people hits 2 HRs... there's more to talk about with Jason Isringhausen. Again.

Seriously, this series is like watching two train wrecks side by side. The Mets train wreck being ever more gruesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom