You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is a grower after initially being a bit sceptical. I like the groove element & the experimental aspect. Definately not playing safe!

I must be hearing a different song. This is a very experimental song and deserves a hell of a lot more love than its getting.

just like the opening drum smashes on zoo station, it doesnt work its wonder unless you crank the volume

so much about the live experience actually goes into U2 song development still

OMFG, totally by accident my i-pod just went from this to a live version of vertigo from milan, i can just see it, this followed by vertigo live, imo that would be quite unreal.

the song isn't released onto iTunes Australia until Saturday so until then I can't really crank it and get a better idea of the production values. Love it though, great to hear the guys in their cheeky, experimental modes v

Btw watching the inauguration live from Oz at 5am. Congrats to all you Americans. What a great moment

i love this track-@ first i was on the fence...but try running on the readmill with it cranked....fuckin A....cant wait for the tour!!!

Look, I'm trying to look at this objectively...

I love the song. But some of you get way too defensive if someone doesn't like the song. If I say "This song fucking blows", that's not "shoving my opinion" down anyone's throat. No more so than, say, me saying "this is my new favorite song of all time."

If someone says "I like the melody, the rhythm, and the chorus, etc." and someone says "I don't like the melody, rhythm, or chorus, etc." then neither are wrong or right. It's opinion.

On the same note, if someone says "I don't like the song" and someone asks "why" and the response is "I don't know, I just don't", then that's valid as well.

This is a discussion forum, right? We are supposed to have discussion are we not? Everything is such a snippy comeback around here, it's infuriating to read it even as a non-participant.

And on that note, the song rocks and that's not open for debate :wink:.

My dad's review on first listen
"that sounds rubbish it's like five songs rolled into one"
*walks out of the room and starts singing the "You don't know" chorus*

:hmm:

the first listen is ......hard , what is this song!5 years for that!
but after 15 listen i think it's GREAT song!
the production is very good, very worked.
i think "GOYB" need to be listen a lot of time to appreciate the production.Also need to be listen with a BIG SOUND SYSTEM, it's not the same song!
i love Bono voice,i love edge guitar and i love adam basse!
but , for sure, it's different of a classic U2!:D

Look, I'm trying to look at this objectively...

I love the song. But some of you get way too defensive if someone doesn't like the song. If I say "This song fucking blows", that's not "shoving my opinion" down anyone's throat. No more so than, say, me saying "this is my new favorite song of all time."

If someone says "I like the melody, the rhythm, and the chorus, etc." and someone says "I don't like the melody, rhythm, or chorus, etc." then neither are wrong or right. It's opinion.

On the same note, if someone says "I don't like the song" and someone asks "why" and the response is "I don't know, I just don't", then that's valid as well.

This is a discussion forum, right? We are supposed to have discussion are we not? Everything is such a snippy comeback around here, it's infuriating to read it even as a non-participant.

And on that note, the song rocks and that's not open for debate :wink:.

:up:

Although, history has shown that people have ridiculous views of a U2 song within the first couple days. The Fly thread is a good example. Many people are lumping Beautiful Day and Vertigo together with reckless abandon; if you take a minute to reflect back on hearing Vertigo for the first time, Bono's vocals were crazy-weird and it took many people a lot of getting used to. Some still hate it. The same is more or less true of The Fly. While people can like or not like a song at will, however, some of the comparisons being made to Boots are so far off base that they are outside any realm of legitimate opinion.

It will likely take a few weeks/months until most people can/will agree on what the song sounds like/is. Whether or not they like it is a very different matter of course. But people with very different opinions of a song usually can agree at least on what's going on in the song. That has not happened yet, apparently.

Made one of my good friends listen to it, she's not really a fan but she likes some songs. She said:

kinda wierd. Not anything like they have done. Not like coldplay, more like a maddonna remix lol. dont hate it at all, yah its wierd, i kinda like it tho.

bwahahaha she is weird.

Am I the only one who has ringing ears because of the number of times and volume he has heard the song. I am for sure in the sound. The guitar riff after "let me in the sound" is pure heaven.

The thing that gets me is the title of the thread is "Post all your thoughts, reviews, discussion"- doesn't that mean ALL, regardless of viewpoint? People are too hard on those who disagree with them. It's just a song, if someone doesn't like it, that's their opinion. That's why we're here, to give feedback. The band values our feedback and we can't get an accurate representation of what fans really think if some are afraid to say they don't like it in fear of being bashed. Not liking this song does not necessarily make a person bad fan, evil, a hater, a troll, etc.

That being said, I have to admit the lyrics are very silly and corny. "Bossy boots?" :huh: So I'm not to thrilled by this one, let's have the next one!:hyper:

one day later; like the song even more. I put it on a CD and started playin it in my car, my best system. it sounds amazing!!!

so much going on in this tune. its really great stuff!

Am I the only one who has ringing ears because of the number of times and volume he has heard the song. I am for sure in the sound. The guitar riff after "let me in the sound" is pure heaven.

Hits me like a wave :drool:

I personally have a problem with people who are obnoxious about their opinion. I think someone can even say "this royally sucks" without coming across as obnoxious.

But, of course, obnoxious is in the eye of the beholder, and I'm sure some people see me as obnoxious too. I can live with that. :)

But anyway ... I haven't listened to the song yet today, and I think it's time to go do that.

:rockon:

It took me forever to realize that one line was "bossy boots" (I know lyrics have been posted, but I haven't read them thoroughly yet).

one day later; like the song even more. I put it on a CD and started playin it in my car, my best system. it sounds amazing!!!

so much going on in this tune. its really great stuff!

Well said indeed :applaud:I listened to it on a great set of headphones and it sounded brilliant :D

I just don't like it very much. I think it's in the Vertigo/Elevation/New York/Hold Me Thrill Me vein, with power/barre chords and not much melody to speak of. It's also a little like Discotheque in that it really doesn't have much of a chorus. I don't think it will be a timeless song.

That said, I'm not necessarily concerned. There 's always a song or two on each record I really don't like at all (still hate Bullet the Blue Sky, When Love Comes to Town, Numb). Who knows if this song is a harbinger. I don't think I'll like Stand Up if it's more of the power chord/blues-rock as described (Led Zeppelin/Jack White).

I'll just have to wait a couple of months to see if there are any songs more to my liking. I'm a long-time U2 fan, having first seen them in 1984, and having seen them about 25 times, so I know that it's best to withhold judgment.

I think this song will be grouped in with Vertigo, The Fly, and Discotheque as a catchy first single that gave way to much better and substantial songs on the actual album... as opposed to singles like Beautiful Day, With Or Without You, or Pride that kind of knocked the door down and announced the album... and ended up being the strongest offering of their respective albums, or at least in the running.

Still need to listen to this song in my room on the best setup i have.

A Yamaha reciever with a 5.1 setup attached. While playing this in the 5.1 stereo mode. That always works wonders and brings a stereo record to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom