You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you have to say HTDAAB and ATYCLB are masterpieces. Are you able? :hmm:

I like both albums, I don't like the word "masterpiece" :tsk: It seems kind of limiting if you ask me, like after the Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby THEY HAVE TO MAKE ANOTHER MASTERPICE OR THEY ARE NO GOOD ANYMORE!!! OMG!!!

Give me a break, they make good music that they seem to enjoy creating and performing and I like listening to, I couldn't give a rats ass past that.

Not true .. there are a couple of song which i DON'T like .. so not every U2 is a song I will always like ...

Um...I was joking. It can be hard to tell online though.

I don't think there's a single band or musician that I like that doesn't have at least one or two songs I don't like. I call these "what were you thinking???" songs. :)

So I just listened to it on my Zeppelin and I thought it came off a bit worse versus headphones. I see where people are coming from with their "lacks melody, weird structure and mish-mash" but I still like it. Still rating it a 7/8

:sad:

(but it would certainly give many people in the ZC IB thread a thrill! :) )

I can agree with that ... or what on earth where you doing songs ...

Of course, now that I think of it, not all songs I don't like are necessarily "what were they thinking???" songs, because some might be perfectly fine songs which just don't click with me.

But I actually like it when bands I like occasionally make absolutely dreadful songs. It makes me think they at least are willing to try different things. Of course, to get a "what were they thinking???" song they have to have failed pretty miserably, but that's what makes it so much fun. :D

Hello Part FOUR!! :wave:

OK after giving it quite a few more listens last night.......via headphones, which BTW makes it sound so much better, you can hear whats going on in there.:D I have to say the song has grown on me loads since first hearing it yesterday......I'm liking it more than I thought I would.:D IT ROCKS!! I love that the lyrics may actually mean something as you've all been discussing, and yet its a fun hard rocking song.......its weird and loud yeah, but thats exactly why I like it!!:D

OMG! the everly brothers covering QOTSA with a Carribean Cruise boogie band in the background and a Darbuka!

OMG! the Glockenspiel is back and it's ON FIRE! (necessary edge+combustion comment)

I like both albums, I don't like the word "masterpiece" :tsk: It seems kind of limiting if you ask me, like after the Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby THEY HAVE TO MAKE ANOTHER MASTERPICE OR THEY ARE NO GOOD ANYMORE!!! OMG!!!

Give me a break, they make good music that they seem to enjoy creating and performing and I like listening to, I couldn't give a rats ass past that.

you disgust me.

Just thought it'd be interesting to go back and find my inital reaction to the beach clips which I've been listening to a LOT of over the last few months. A lot of people seem to think that Get On Your Boots is a bit of fluff that they will get tired of very easily. For me that's not been the case - it's gotten better and better with every listen and now I can hear everything clearly (including the frankly brilliant lyrics) I'm even more blown away by it...

MrBTH said:
Oh wow - I know it's too easy to get carried away... But this is seriously good music...

#1 - Seems to start with the song already well underway, I can hear what sounds like the tail end of a guitar intro at the very start - I could see this song having an epic atmospheric lead in a-la Zooropa or Streets. And it's just beautiful, pulsating, ringing, bowled over by the gorgeous transition between the last chorus and definitely the most epic and emotional guitar solo I've ever heard from Edge. It's melancholy yet uplifting all at once... What a song.

#2 has attitude in abundance - I love the shouty, spitting vocals from Bono with more punk-choral backing from the gang. I think the backing vocals will be a huge feature on this record - Edge, Eno and Lanois' voices blend so beautifully. It's a structurally very interesting tune as well, grooving along nicely, Adam creating a rolling smooth backdrop to the fairly staccato phrasing, then taking a strange and brilliant bass driven turn towards the end of the clip

#3 More attitude, VERY punchy, very loose melodically - as someone already said you can really hear the arabic influence. More wonderful harmonies. God Im just listening to it as I type, it really sweeps you up and pulls you along for the ride. Definite single material and streets ahead of Vertigo - much closer to EBTTRT

#4 Pure atmosphere, very deep, densely layered sound, a fairly simple, hypnotic groove and melody then suddenly dropping away into a strange, off-beat section where again I hear the arabic, polyrhythmic thing coming in. Again it's structurally very interesting and counterpoints quite simple (though amazingly sung) vocal sections with possibly the most intricate instrumental work the band has created. Theres something about this song that reminds me of Please from Pop - a similar intensity and sense of tension and release.

Overall I'm wildly impressed - my expectations haven't been terribly high but now I'm absolutely dying for the proper release to come along... I think all four songs are incredibly strong but I definitely have a particular love of #1 - its got real soul. The one i'm most excited about though is #3 - it sounds mindblowing even at this poor a quality!

How exciting!!

Mindblowing is the word, especially at head melting volume on good speakers! :applaud:

Yes, me too. BTW, it was supposed to be a joke. :up:

OMG! the everly brothers covering QOTSA with a Carribean Cruise boogie band in the background and a Darbuka!

OMG! the Glockenspiel is back and it's ON FIRE! (necessary edge+combustion comment)

:eyebrow:

I'm glad they are getting back to more of a "90s U2" sound. GOYB has some interesting moments esspicially The Edge during the "let me in the sound" part.

I wish instead of saying "I don't want to talk about wars between nations" Bono would simply not say it at all. It is a fun song that can take your mind away from all of the bad stuff going on the world right now but this lyric seems kind of forced.

I like the overall sound. I think GOYB is ment to be a song to trigger people like The Fly did back then (what is this???). It triggers me, so now I am looking very forward to the new album!!

Your logic shows how stupid you truly are. You actually think because someone bought the album means they liked it! You fool, many people like myself bought the album based on their previous and then after listening to it realized we wasted our money on garbage. So please, go get a brain before you try to make a point because you just expose yourself as an idiot

^ Why post this Wild Wild West crap again? Ok its a similar type of verse but FFS it's using a specific song "form" - a rhythmic, syncopated style of talk/singing... This, Pump it Up, Subterranean Homesick Blues, these are just the obvious examples of the form. Woody Guthrie has about ten songs in the same form. Theres probably thousands of other examples if you sought them out. Is U2 not allowed to draw from musical history? Anyone who thinks that they have "ripped off" a specific song is talking crap...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom