You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said before: a mix of Vertigo and Fast Cars, both from the last album; no real innovation here.
Those comparing it to The Fly or anything from Zooropa are....well, let's just say I disagree.
In about one month, everyone here will be sick of it; yeah, it's exciting for a new U2 song today, but in the end this thing has a shelf life of about a few weeks.
Then again, I do believe there are people here who would love ANYTHING with the name U2 on it. That's great; I wish I could be as easily pleased.

i wish blue crack had been around when "The Fly" came out. i just wonder how the fan base would have been divided. actually, there probably would have been e-rioting, lol!

ROFLMAO! :lol: Well there's a good riot going on in some of these :ohmy: :lol:

I don't know if anyone has seen this. There is another musician who used the same photograph as his album cover.

03_a_027.jpg

basically it's just vertigo meets fast cars isnt it....... VERY disapointed....

nowhere NEAR as much progression from the last album as i was praying for. in fact hardly any progression..

my only bit of hope left is that they have released the only song on the album that sounds like htdaab in order to play it safe with all the new fans they made in the last few years..

its no fly after JT & R&H as i was hoping it would be... its not even a discotheque.... its just htdaab pt2

gutted...

:doh:

As I said before: a mix of Vertigo and Fast Cars, both from the last album; no real innovation here.
Those comparing it to The Fly or anything from Zooropa are....well, let's just say I disagree.
In about one month, everyone here will be sick of it; yeah, it's exciting for a new U2 song today, but in the end this thing has a shelf life of about a few weeks.
Then again, I do believe there are people here who would love ANYTHING with the name U2 on it. That's great; I wish I could be as easily pleased.

:love: :up:

anyone on here have the technical expertise to do an edit of this song and remove all the vocals that have the word "boots"?

i'm starting to think that would be an EXCELLENT song. right now it just annoys me, because so much of why i love u2 is the all-world lyricism.

Yah, taking out the "sexy boots" and "get on your boots" parts would take it up a notch or two for me actually.. am I just uptight? probably.. hmm

Then again Ive always preferred my U2 a bit more serious and dark.. with really deep lyrics. I blame Bono for me not liking this. :wink: The rest of the band is off the hook.

The comparison to Vertigo is just laziness, the only reason people are making the comparison is that they are both riff driven songs, but this is not a power chord song!

This song is much more comparable to the U2 riff driven songs like Fly and Big Girls...

This song is riff driven but has layers, Vertigo didn't...

People, stop being lazy!!!

I don't know if anyone has seen this. There is another musician who used the same photograph as his album cover.

03_a_027.jpg

You mean to say U2 stole that Idea and just added an = to it, or the lazy artist just thought "oh let's rehash a old cover" :ohmy: :lol:

I know that certain musical appeals can come down to personal tastes, but this is probably the first song in the world that is almost "objectively" poor. There are those that acknowledge it sucks, and those that lie to themselves. I think Get your boots on can be scientifically poven to be shit.

(I'm half joking but not really)

I'm certainly not trollling or anything, I love U2, but am finding it hard to hide the dissapointment I feel right now. I remain optimistic about the rest of the album though, it can't be any worse.

I get that you're disappointed but don't tell people they're LYING to themselves because they actually like the song. There are a few other first singles I didn't like but it's my opinion. Objectively speaking, Beautiful Day was a great first single, but I hated it.

Let up on the piss parade.

Basically it will do its job - so catchy its hard to avoid and then the album will do really well

i just hope there are much better songs on the LP

but i think bono sounds really good on it

The comparison to Vertigo is just laziness, the only reason people are making the comparison is that they are both riff driven songs, but this is not a power chord song!

This song is much more comparable to the U2 riff driven songs like Fly and Big Girls...

i totally agree. i will say, i can see where people will compare it because the structure of the verses are somewhat similar. but otherwise, they are completely different songs.

Reminds me of "You wanna be the song" from Discotheque...

Well, that works in Discotheque because it's about searching for something meaningful whilst raving, and not finding it, and giving yourself up to the emptiness.

'Let me in the sound' just reminds me of Elevation, in its randomness. And in its obvious concert chant appeal.

What does 'Let me in the sound' mean?
"Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound, now
God, I’m going down
I don’t wanna drown now
Meet me in the sound"

Since there is reference to going down and drowing, i was thinking that "the sound" could be a body of water (as in a sea or an ocean inlet) instead of a musical sound.

So if I think it sounds more like Big Girls Are Best or The Fly, it can be proven that I am not as lazy as the people who think it sounds like Vertigo? That's rich .

OK OK after 35 listens i give it

8/10 or maybe 9/10

simple Rock n roll

great bass

great riff

great vocal

dodgy lyrics

perfect

'You don't know how beautiful you are'

You're right Bono, but thank you for noticing. Now I'm gonna put on MY sexy boots.

This one rocks,:rockon: I can't wait to see it LIVE!!!!!:dance:

Very disappointed myself. I appreciated they've tried to break the mould with the unusual sound + production and the use of electronic drums, but it just sounds too cluttered and directionless. Lots of ideas but no overriding winner.
It doesn't help that the song itself and the melodies within are very weak by U2's standards. I've listened to the track over 20 times now and still can't think for the life of me how it goes. Perhaps if it'd merely been an album track I'd have been less gutted, as U2 are pretty much the masters of the 'big comeback single'. The Fly, Discotheque, Beautiful Day, Vertigo.. they all had an instant hook and gave a great indicator of things to come from the album.
However I remember feeling the same about Vertigo, and it caught on eventually, so hopefully it will happen again. It could also be a false alarm, as I remember eagerly anticipating Coldplay's latest album and the lead single off it 'Violet Hill' was probably the most inconsequential song ever written. However, the album itself is a classic.
If U2 were a brand new band and put this out, no-one would bat a eyelid at it's release, but they're a class act and I'm certain it'll get better than this, for it only can!

So if I think it sounds more like Big Girls Are Best or The Fly, it can be proven that I am not as lazy as the people who think it sounds like Vertigo? That's rich .
It wouldn't prove anything, but it would show you thought about it more and that you knew what you were talking about...

this is getting slated over on Youtube, i really really dont understand some of the negativity, this has got to be worse than when they released vertigo?

First impression after listening to a YouTube cutting:

"Hmm... nice drums. The first few verses are a little... hollow, maybe? Chorus lacks spike... but catchy. Love the ending"

After hearing it in the car this morning, with the stereo at 10:

"Damn. The drums kick ass. The riff's better than I thought! It just isn't meant to be played solo, without drums. The whole song needs to be knitted together to make sense. The chorus is more clever than I thought; it's textured and melodic. This song is meant to be played Loud! LET ME IN THE SOUND, SOUND! I'm going to head-bang to this at some point. I want to hear it again."

As usual, I never 'get' a new U2 song at first listen. Then one part hooks into my brain, drags the rest of the song into it, and then I'm addicted. For a while anyhow. This might still be pure sugar - a quick hit, wearing off quickly - or it may be Turkish Delight, Lokum, flavored with rosewater, and insatiably addictive.

Some joker's going to say U2's lost it's 'deep' lyrics, and compare this song's finale to Vertigo's "yeah yeah yeah yeah.." ending, but they'd miss the point. 'Let me in the sound" might be the perfect manifesto for this album, one which Bono claimed was an opportunity to 'lose himself in the music' again.

If that means leading off with a rocker (like Vertigo was a rocker, the only similarity), and then using these few minutes as a hammer to break down the Bomb and open up a new vista for the band...

Well, it's done that. Those drums at the end, relentless kicking ass, kicking down doors, put force behind Bono's proclamation, and signal that the rest of the album will not be going easy on the listeners.

If ATYCLB was the band playing, "Listen to us again.." music, and BOMB was ".. and now sing along..", BOOTS signals a forceful "NOW hear this!" I haven't really heard since War. That's what the prominent drumming reminds me of, more than AB, or any of the other comparisons going around.

Yup, there's a hint of the Wild West in there, and Elvis (Costello this time). But like another review said, it's evocative and not a rip.

And sure, when Edge's guitar turns from and out-front riff to a buzzing background circular saw of a sound, I did think of The Muse for a second.

But here's the thing.. U2 sits at the center of a sonic (mine)field that has their influences on one side, and bands they've influenced themselves on the other. GOYB touches left, touches right, but never for more then a second before swelling up and under, engulfing everything with this new sound they've brought to the table.

This wasn't what I expected, and this wasn't what anyone else did either. That's a good thing, and shows that once again U2 aren't content to follow, or dive into the current musical stream.

They're diverting rivers, here. With the Edge's saw and Larry's hammer, they've just chiseled out a path to move music away from the U2 tributes that Coldplay and the Killers are producing, leaving those directions as mere tributaries.

A lot to extract from two listens to one song? Maybe, but I've seen U2 play this sort of gambit before, and I'm betting it pays off again.

It's just a matter of how well the public receives this offering.

stop comparing u2 to coldplay

coldplay are nothing in comparison

this album is GUARANTEED to be a knockout

as i have been floored by the first song alone

been listening to it for last 30 mins on repeat on full blast

MAD FOR U2

this is getting slated over on Youtube, i really really dont understand some of the negativity, this has got to be worse than when they released vertigo?

don't worry. there are people that will hate anything U2 puts out just to increase their indie cred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom