You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a great song, you have to listen to it intently and then you'll realise. I love it when I hear their music and think wtf?! cos that's what u2 is about for me. When I first heard discotheque I was confused, gob-smacked, blown away, scratching my head as to what it was all about. The same happened with vertigo and now the same again with boots. When I bought Pop I listened to it for days and weeks, trying to figure it out, while friends who borrowed it gave it back after 1 listen saying 'nah, don't like it'. I was thinking, you have to give it a chance and give it time then you'll understand. That's what is so intriguing about u2. Thank god for them. GOYB is genius.

Spot on. Welcome to bluecrackville.

Am the only one who thinks 'you don't know/how beautiful/you don't know how beautiful you are/you don't know/you don't get it do you/you don't know how beautiful you are' IS the chorus? I've heard people refer to the 'you don't know how beautiful you are' "parts", "bits", and so on, and I've heard a few people even say that they thought the song had no real instantly sing-along chorus. THIS is the chorus! And it's the most brilliant part of the song, imo. Surely I'm not the only one who views it as the chorus?

No it's not just you. I keep finding myself drawn to that part of the song, more than the chorus itself. I love it.

is anything ever going to be?

i mean, it could be, but no one is ever going to allow anything they ever do again to be as good.

Why not? It’s not like people wouldn’t ‘let’ an album be that good if it were. Everyone is craving something like that again, and I think it would be recognized pretty quickly if it ever arrived. Not just by us in here either. I don’t even mean reaching the heights of an Achtung or Joshua Tree or UF or Zooropa again. Just getting that old mix back. Sure, be catchy and commercial, but don’t let it take the soul out of the music. I’m sure they would still have that in them somewhere, and I’m sure it would be universally embraced.

Am the only one who thinks 'you don't know/how beautiful/you don't know how beautiful you are/you don't know/you don't get it do you/you don't know how beautiful you are' IS the chorus? I've heard people refer to the 'you don't know how beautiful you are' "parts", "bits", and so on, and I've heard a few people even say that they thought the song had no real instantly sing-along chorus. THIS is the chorus! And it's the most brilliant part of the song, imo. Surely I'm not the only one who views it as the chorus?

I found that section to be my favorite when I first heard the beach clip (which was actually my least favorite of the original four), and I do consider it the chorus, more or less by default. It's pummeling and attention-grabbing, if lyrically trite.

Minor complaint from someone who does record his own music: those lines needed some kind of echo or reverb on them for full impact. They're also up way too high in the mix.

On the plus side, this song has crazy good dynamics. The parts that are supposed to be loud are right up in your face (this gives the chorus extra punch) and the slinkier, bass-driven parts in the verses give the song room to build. MUCH, MUCH better production here than on Vertigo.

Yeah totally. The production is really really good this time round. Vertigo just seemed very loud and undynamic to me, GOYB really gets your senses buzzing.

Listening on headphones right now and the song sounds much clearer, it bleeding well ROCKS! You can pick a lot more from the song on every listen. This is one of those songs that´s a real grower and they´re always the best tunes anyway :D

This is a great song, you have to listen to it intently and then you'll realise. I love it when I hear their music and think wtf?! cos that's what u2 is about for me. When I first heard discotheque I was confused, gob-smacked, blown away, scratching my head as to what it was all about. The same happened with vertigo and now the same again with boots. When I bought Pop I listened to it for days and weeks, trying to figure it out, while friends who borrowed it gave it back after 1 listen saying 'nah, don't like it'. I was thinking, you have to give it a chance and give it time then you'll understand. That's what is so intriguing about u2. Thank god for them. GOYB is genius.

Well said!! :D Thats exactly what I think about U2, so intriguing!! :up:
Welcome :wave: I'm a newbie too by the way.:D

Why not? It’s not like people wouldn’t ‘let’ an album be that good if it were. Everyone is craving something like that again, and I think it would be recognized pretty quickly if it ever arrived. Not just by us in here either. I don’t even mean reaching the heights of an Achtung or Joshua Tree or UF or Zooropa again. Just getting that old mix back. Sure, be catchy and commercial, but don’t let it take the soul out of the music. I’m sure they would still have that in them somewhere, and I’m sure it would be universally embraced.

In your opinion, how does GOYB lack soul when compared to, say...Even Better Than The Real Thing?

Listening on headphones right now and the song sounds much clearer, it bleeding well ROCKS! You can pick a lot more from the song on every listen. This is one of those songs that´s a real grower and they´re always the best tunes anyway :D

Oooh I haven't tried listening on my headphones just yet.....must give it a go!!:D

Yep the songs that are growers are always the best!!:up:

My first thought when hearing the chorus was "this sounds just like Muse!" and then Bono's voice cuts through. "It's Muse with Bono singing!" Even Edge's guitar sounds like Muse. I'm totally digging it because it's totally different. I've heard the song 1 1/2 times and I can't get that riff out of my head!

I've listened to it ten times and it's getting better and better. I know this kind of song will never be one of my U2 favorites, but that doesn't matter at all. But there is one thing I'm fearing: will GOYB fit into the rest of NLOTH? Or is it more like Vertigo on HTDAAB?! I just hope the new album is a coherent album and not a collection of songs. Let's wait and see/hear...

Count me among those who think this song is pretty kicking :up:

Of course it's a pop song, and it doesn't have the depth of many of their other songs, but I'm confident deeper and more ambient stuff will come on the album. But I think it's up there with other excellent 'U2 rockers' which have their place in their catalogue, and I would be tempted to say superior to Elevation and Vertigo. I love U2 for being able to rock my socks off, and occasionally make me want to dance like this one, on top of making me think/cry/want to hug the whole world on many other occasions.

I think the production and structure of the song are especially promising. And I loooove the way Bono is signing, I think it's exactly what was needed in that song: smooth and sexy :drool: I think my favourite part of the whole song are his 'not right now!' and 'get on get on get on' after the submarine/gasoline part. I have no doubt he will belt his heart out in other songs on NLOTH. The lyrics are really good too, I think I prefer them to anything on ATYCLB and HTDAAB. A lot of double-meaning (sexual and political), great stuff.

At the end of the day I know this song won't be on my top 10 U2 songs, but again none of their 'catchy rockers' tunes are. (and I really think what makes The Fly such a classic and jaw-dropping song is the solo, which to me is the most amazing guitar solo ever recorded. Without it The Fly would still be rocking, but would loose a great deal of its depth)

Hard to say how popular this song will be. For some reason I feel a lot of casual (and in fact hardcore) fans might not like it all that much, but I wouldn't be surprised if it attracts some newcomers to U2.

But overall, I like it, and can't wait for the rest! :hyper:

Count me among those who think this song is pretty kicking :up:

Of course it's a pop song, and it doesn't have the depth of many of their other songs, but I'm confident deeper and more ambient stuff will come on the album. But I think it's up there with other excellent 'U2 rockers' which have their place in their catalogue, and I would be tempted to say superior to Elevation and Vertigo. I love U2 for being able to rock my socks off, and occasionally make me want to dance like this one, on top of making me think/cry/want to hug the whole world on many other occasions.

I think the production and structure of the song are especially promising. And I loooove the way Bono is signing, I think it's exactly what was needed in that song: smooth and sexy :drool: I think my favourite part of the whole song are his 'not right now!' and 'get on get on get on' after the submarine/gasoline part. I have no doubt he will belt his heart out in other songs on NLOTH. The lyrics are really good too, I think I prefer them to anything on ATYCLB and HTDAAB. A lot of double-meaning (sexual and political), great stuff.

At the end of the day I know this song won't be on my top 10 U2 songs, but again none of their 'catchy rockers' tunes are. (and I really think what makes The Fly such a classic and jaw-dropping song is the solo, which to me is the most amazing guitar solo ever recorded. Without it The Fly would still be rocking, but would loose a great deal of its depth)

Hard to say how popular this song will be. For some reason I feel a lot of casual (and in fact hardcore) fans might not like it all that much, but I wouldn't be surprised if it attracts some newcomers to U2.

But overall, I like it, and can't wait for the rest! :hyper:

to me, GOYB is Vertigo's younger bastard cousin who drives a sexier car, has a hotter girlfriend and got into a better college

then again, listening to Vertigo right now, I'm not so sure who's cooler.

to me, GOYB is Vertigo's younger bastard cousin who drives a sexier car, has a hotter girlfriend and got into a better college

then again, listening to Vertigo right now, I'm not so sure who's cooler.

Vertigo feels more naturally constructed to me, but GOYB's chorus (not to mention the production) is made of win. It really jumps out at you.

yes it is It wil be a bit difficult to describe this but I have the effect on one of my effectboxes linked with the computer. Sounds cool

I like how it like, comes out at you out of nowhere, if that makes sense. It's like in your face for 2 seconds, then goes back to the regular sound of the music. (I suck at describing music sorry :lol: ) But in any case... :drool:!

I think GOYB is less radio friendly and much more creative and innovative than Vertigo, thus has better lyrics. :up:

Loved it when I heard it this morning and still do. I agree with a lot of posts on here, in thats it's not one of their classic songs, but I don't think it's set out to be. It's a slinky, catchy, groovy tune that intends to make an announcement that U2 are back, and back they are.

I've been reading the forums for the last couple of years, with loads of people begging for something more experimental, and not like HTDAAB, which was a bit safe sounding. Here it arrives, and people are complaining..!

Oh and while I'm at it, for god sake, can people stop harping on about Joshua Tree in 1987, or Achthung Baby in 1991. U2 are never going to reach those peak days again, but frankly they're still in a different league to most other bands.

They've taken a long time over this record, and I do think they have struggled, and had to throw Lanois and Eno at it. But who cares, after 30 years, they can take as long as they like. Name another band thats still as big, and vital after that long in the business. Errr nobody...

U2 lose some fans with every record but seem to gain a lot more then they lose and that is what has kept them going for so long. Some people may not like it and really that doesnt bother me at all....reminds me of the comments when The Fly Discotheque and Numb first came out....they were all not 100 percent loved....the depth of this track will win out over time and it is a good rocking track which it was intended to be. I am glad they didnt put it as the first track on the album as well that shows a difference from recent form...first time they havent put the lead single as the first track since 1993.

My first thought when hearing the chorus was "this sounds just like Muse!" and then Bono's voice cuts through. "It's Muse with Bono singing!" Even Edge's guitar sounds like Muse. I'm totally digging it because it's totally different. I've heard the song 1 1/2 times and I can't get that riff out of my head!

Definitely! Glad someone thinks the same :)
I just woke up and listened to it a few times, and I still love it as much as I did last night. I recommend listening to it through headphones for those who haven't done so yet, you pick up even more!

One thing that really draws me is the guitar behind the "let me in the sound" part. Really interested to see if they expand this live and turn it into another "omgz Edge is on fire" solo.

Who else thinks that many of the Boots haters will love the album and that some of the most enthusiastic Boots fans will be dissapointed with the album.

I can't wait to hear an album where boots is, what, track 5?
How will it fit into the mix?
I'm almost hoping it WON'T leak. I don't want to hear it piece-meal. I want the
whole enchilada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom