US Politics XXII: Idk About You, But This Is Thread 22

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Biden is past his prime. The democrats fell into the same trap is the Republicans did with Dole in 96- it was his turn- Same with Hillary in 2016 and Kerry. The only time they bucked that was with Obama and Billy and guess what they both won. Once again not a sanders fan- but I think he had a better chance than Biden- You could draw real differences and have real debates- I don't know about you but I am not looking forward to the Presidential debates at all- I fact as my daughter would say they are cringe-worthy. I think the VP debates will be much better. (you could say even more important based on the age of the presidential candidates)

eeehhh.. This doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me. First, please lets do away with any notion that Sanders would have had a better shot in the general than Biden. I've posted multiple times here about valid paths for Biden and Sanders winning the Electoral College, and it isn't even close.
Biden has multiple paths to victory, and several that would bring large wins (which is what we need). Sanders definitely a couple paths, but was always very, very slim victory.

Now all that might go out the window, as maybe the country is WAY more sick of Trump than we think, and either of them would win big, but I'm not counting on it.

Second, the debate will be very interesting to watch. Not sure where you get the notion that there wouldn't be much contrast with Biden. Jesus, there is SO much contrast on every level. Just the fact that Trump would be debating an actual human, that isn't a narcissistic sociopath creates a huge contrast. Set aside all of the absolute bullshit that Trump has done the last 3.5 years.
I actually think that because Biden was part of dealing with pandemics and financial recovery, in the White House, it will make it all the better than he, and not Sanders, is on the stage. Some real life contrast. Not just Billionaires!!

And while we are talking about Biden's cognitive state, and how people have voiced their concern about debating Trump and how Bernie would have been better. I think the fact that Biden was viewed as bettering Sanders in the only one on one debate we had, would give us a clue on how Biden can handle Trump.

Also, I completely admit that Biden has lost a step, but a few points here. One, being president isn't being on the debate stage every day. Because he stumbles over some words once in a while, gives me no pause that he would be perfectly fine as president whose job is sitting and deliberating and taking in information from those around him and making well thought out decisions. It's not about snappy comebacks once they are president.
Second, the stutter is real. I have my degree in Speech Pathology and stuttering was one of my favorite focuses. The letter that Headache shared was very spot on. A person's mental and emotional triggers are real. So a 10 person debate in front of an audience, where you're getting hit with random questions can cause, even well managed stuttering to occur. Yes, there are moments where it is a bit more than stuttering, but in my opinion, a 77 year old that has to stop for a second to reword or gather their thoughts is not an issue for being president.

Another thing to think about is how these debates will be. Will there be an audience? This is a HUGE factor. No audience would a disaster for Trump. One, that's what he plays too. He doesn't do anything unless it's for praise or attention. Second, as stated above about Biden and stuttering triggers. A debate with no audience will make it a better situation for him .

All said - I don't think the debates will matter much. Thanks to Trump we have a very clearly divided electorate. And his part of the divide is smaller. So what really matters is turnout, fighting voter suppression and dirty tricks, and every person, no matter where they land on the scale - moderate, progressive, liberal, moderate republican -have to stick together to remove this stain.

Inb4 Harrison Ford for President.
I’d vote for Indiana Jones

Back to Biden - one in one on a national debate stage he will look bad real bad. He was able to hide a little bit in the dem debates but let’s be honest he was bad. One on one he will be exposed. His only hope is that people vote against trump because he will not inspire the country. IMHO

Back to Biden - one in one on a national debate stage he will look bad real bad. He was able to hide a little bit in the dem debates but let’s be honest he was bad. One on one he will be exposed. His only hope is that people vote against trump because he will not inspire the country. IMHO

Someone being generally not with it against Trump is probably Trump’s biggest nightmare. Trump relies upon manipulation and striking back at your strike. Trump will absolutely not have a clever or gotcha retort like defending the size of his hands versus Biden, who will likely call him a... two bit scalawag double crossing choochootrain from 1970, 72, the last time we talked about this he was all weesnawwww.

Trump won’t be able to process a campaign-ending retort, and won’t be able to grimacingly stand behind Joe like a creepy rapist.

I’m not sure their debates will be very interesting. People will focus on the VP for once.

Because Trump is a master of the debating arts, right?

Do we forget that Clinton wiped the floor with him, and his best performance consisted of one day where he didn't throw his own dung at the moderators?

Yeah he looked horrible in the Dem debate that he beat Bernie Sanders in one on one... :huh:

The thing people are forgetting is that Trump only held up at ALL, in 2016 debates because he had ZERO record. So he could give any answer he wanted to because it was all hypothetical. This time, he will have to answer for things that he's actually done.
And Clinton still whooped him.

Biden is actually in a good position for the debates. If there's no audience, then Trump will whither.

Not that this isn't obvious, but it is true of just about every derogatory remark Trump makes. It is always projecting on the other person or group what is actually true of himself.

https://twitter.com/JustitiaMatrona/status/1251581271223881735

When it isn't an insult at a particular target, his statements of how great he's doing at something, or how incredible something is, always is the exact opposite.

Pretty chilling to think that every word out of Trump's mouth is exactly opposite of reality. Insane really.

I decided, just because what the fuck else am I supposed to do, to watch Trump's "briefing" today. I actually found myself nodding my head "yes" during a lot of his statements but in a way where a therapist empathetically nods their head for that patients thinking "I'll be collecting a paycheck for seeing this guy for a long time".

[tweet]1251710858062778368[/tweet]

Biden managed to blow another easy layup and get racist with his criticism of Trump's obvious bungling of this crisis.

Biden managed to blow another easy layup and get racist with his criticism of Trump's obvious bungling of this crisis.

The Democratic nominee trying to outflank Trump on the right. You truly do not love to see it.

The actual tweet is a video, and what it says right before the selective screenshot is Biden saying we should have demanded that the CDC is on the ground in China in January so that we know exactly what's going on and not just take the Chinese government's word for it... but sure.

I has minor in digital media and as Sony Vegas Pro and Final Cut Pro student i can has tell u that hosting sites and/or programs allow you to identify thumbnail photo 4 ur video.

Also can has tell u shrewd political campaign team not ignorant to thumbnail present.

I has minor in digital media and as Sony Vegas Pro and Final Cut Pro student i can has tell u that hosting sites and/or programs allow you to identify thumbnail photo 4 ur video.

Also can has tell u shrewd political campaign team not ignorant to thumbnail present.
I can does marketings too and Twitter thumbnail preview has a blue play circle in the embedded videos but thank.

Thumbnail present is also has not this, but even if he change this, has not has blue circle so has screenshot.

The actual tweet is a video, and what it says right before the selective screenshot is Biden saying we should have demanded that the CDC is on the ground in China in January so that we know exactly what's going on and not just take the Chinese government's word for it... but sure.

Yikes exactly. Talk about a stretch. I guess the next time I blame the Mexican government for anything, I must hate all Mexicans too.

Last edited:
that doesn't matter though because he's totally for sure going to nominate super-progressive judges, guys.

If you want progressive judges and policies, nominate a progressive that can actually win.

Biden’s platform is more progressive than any previous nominee.

My biggest concern (i don’t really want to debate his mind) is Biden openly stating he’ll work with the GOP like they’re under some spell with Trump.

Of course it’s a given if the senate isn’t flipped. Sleepy Joe will have to become Super Joe and executive order everything through and i don’t think that’s the best way to govern.

The GOP are the disease of this country. Every horrible policy, act, and crime at the highest level has been carried out by this group.

They must go for the country to advance. Of course it’ll take a awakening by 40% of the country to not elect them

It’s going to get exhausting, continually correcting the distortions we get from “the Left” — remember that Kamala Harris video that was like 10 minutes long but only a minute was posted in here? And the other 9 minutes were like really different fro the first 1?

It’s really unfortunate that our disaffected allies employ the tactics of our opponents.

And for what?

Unless you're flipping the Senate, how exactly does anyone plan on accomplishing anything without at the very least attempting to reach across the aisle?

Once Bernie won the nomination, White moderates and independents unable to vote for him in the primaries, and were heretofore completely unaware of his existence because of the corporate media, would hear a Bernie speech and suddenly realize that what they’ve really wanted all along is more government in their lives, despite a lifetime of voting against more government.

That right there flips the Senate.

It’s absolutely appropriate to have a reckoning with the Chinese government here. They covered up the spread, certainly lied about the numbers (which also means all their data and studies are suspect) and it is looking more and more like the wet market was not the source (it didn’t even make sense in the beginning). There is a reason the government was literally welding all entry and exit points of apartment buildings save for the main ones where guards were posted when the number of cases was a few dozen. We (the public) are almost guaranteed to never find out the full story/truth.

Just because Trump and his voters are racist when they refer to it as the “Chinese virus” doesn’t mean that the rest of us should not be appropriately critical about China’s role in all this.

Um... If you actually watch the video, can you point out what's racist? Seriously, can you give me a quote from this video that's racist?
Is not getting CDC officials into China racist? I'm at a loss here. Which is nothing new with the Biden criticism that flows around here.

I have to remember now that criticizing Trump on how he dealt with China during a global pandemic is racist, but constant ridicule of someone about their age and their speech impediment is totally ok . :up:

My question wasn't an open invitation to bash Sanders supporters. The post it was made on response to was by a Biden supporter who is upset that Joe has said he'd be open to working with the GOP.

Obviously there are hardcore #RoseEmojiTwitter members who think negotiating or compromising with anyone is a non starter - but I'm not referring to them. They're not able to negotiate in good faith, as the saying goes.

Obviously you would hope that we win back the Senate and hold on to the house. But short of that - if anything is going to be accomplished in a new presidency with a split Congress? You're going to have to make an attempt to pick off a few red senators in purplish states; probably starting with Romney and going from there. Otherwise you're just yelling for the sake of yelling. You're not accomplishing anything.

Even if it's a practice in futility - you have to at least try.

Last edited:
It’s absolutely appropriate to have a reckoning with the Chinese government here. They covered up the spread, certainly lied about the numbers (which also means all their data and studies are suspect) and it is looking more and more like the wet market was not the source (it didn’t even make sense in the beginning). There is a reason the government was literally welding all entry and exit points of apartment buildings save for the main ones where guards were posted when the number of cases was a few dozen. We (the public) are almost guaranteed to never find out the full story/truth.

Just because Trump and his voters are racist when they refer to it as the “Chinese virus” doesn’t mean that the rest of us should not be appropriately critical about China’s role in all this.

The funny thing here is that the video isn't critical of China at all. It's about Trump's action or inaction with them, and how he didn't do anything helpful in the early days of the virus and was totally unprepared and had weakened our ability to handle a pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom