Unpopular U2 opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love is Blindness, Acrobat, So Cruel are dismal and amazingly lame. The reason FF and the skip button were invented.

I hate to say it, particularly considering the popularity of the one on the middle there, but I do agree with you. I think Acrobat could have been great live, but considering how good it should be, I find it to be a real drag.

- Larry Mullen is the shittiest drummer in rock.
I'd like to amend this to "Larry Mullen is the shittiest PERSON in rock." I mean, 4/4 is the most basic time signature there is and he gets injured playing it? I didn't know redundancy could do that. He's clearly not fit to be a drummer? I mean, most drummers are half-crazed, random, hyper, built like a moose, and run around like they're on crack or acid or something. That's what I expect from a drummer. I don't know any drummers that have to play with monitors, either. I've seen others pop on headphones for more complicated songs, but when it's something that you've played for 30 years and you still need a click track? Jesus Christ. He's unfit to be a drummer.

Anyway, rant over, here's more opinions:

-Adam's a decent bassist and "Please" is probably the best thing he's ever done, which compared to someone like Flea or Roger Waters isn't really saying much.

-Bono should stop trying to go back to the opera voice. You've lost it, dude. Find a new way to sing, or give it up.

-The Edge is someone I really can't say anything bad about. He's great at what he does and manages to put up with 3 idiots.

Oh, wait, unpopular opinions. Right...

-Daniel Lanois is ruining U2.

-Bono's High C was really not all that impressive. Can we go back to calling him Bon Smelly Arse now? Cause Bono Vox doesn't really fit anymore.

-I never thought I'd say this about a multi-millionaire rock star, but Adam needs to get a life, or laid or something. Find better things to do than play with a miniDVR camera.

- MacPhisto pretty much ruined the 1993 ZooTV encores.
- The majority of the pre-Boy demos are better than the majority of songs U2 have released in the 2000s.
- I wish that Larry had left U2 in 1990 or so. I don't get why so many fans seem to take it as some source of personally meaningful pride that U2 have never changed members (Dik Evans being conveniently forgotten).
- Grace is in fact one of ATYCLB's better songs.
- Who fucking cares about "the night is heavy as a truck"? It's one bloody line. Move on. If you want to rag on shitty lyrics, go after songs that are full of them like In A Little While or Elevation, not a single line in a song that is otherwise one of the more lyrically decent U2 tracks of the 2000s.
- Some Days Are Better Than Others is cool.

- I think the criticism heaped on Larry is hyperbole, and overly harsh, in particular RBF's opinion above there. Calling him the shittiest person in rock is out of line.
- However, ironically, I think Dirty Day sounds very average on Zooropa, mostly because of Larry's drumming. It lacks energy and ruins the studio version for me, and that "father to son" intermission is fucking terrible and is probably the worst part of any song they've ever made. But it was a great song live.
- I also hate the Beautiful Day video, again, because Larry looks like he's hitting wet tissues and doesn't want to break through them.

Reggo's rant about Larry is both the best and most accurate post in this entire thread.

I don't know any drummers that have to play with monitors, either. I've seen others pop on headphones for more complicated songs, but when it's something that you've played for 30 years and you still need a click track? Jesus Christ. He's unfit to be a drummer.
You have no clue why he uses the monitors do you? It has everything to do with the backing tracks and nothing to do with his drumming... but someone who pretends to know a little something would have known that.
-Bono should stop trying to go back to the opera voice. You've lost it, dude. Find a new way to sing, or give it up.
:eyebrow:

-Adam's a decent bassist and "Please" is probably the best thing he's ever done, which compared to someone like Flea or Roger Waters isn't really saying much.
I can't agree with you. I'm a huge fan of Pink Floyd, but Roger is a mediocre bass player, rarely created good bass lines as Money. Adam and Roger are regular bass players, can't be compared to someone like John Paul Jones (The Lemon Song :drool: ).

-The Edge is someone I really can't say anything bad about. He's great at what he does and manages to put up with 3 idiots.

Apart from the fact that you're wrong about Bono's voice (the opera voice is something he just developed recently - and don't tell me he had iit in the 80s, because he didn't know how to sing properly in the 80s) you don't seem to think highly of U2 in general. But then again, you're in good company on this "fan" board. All your opinions about U2 seem to be negative.

Well at least I don't call 3/4 of U2 "idiots".

But yes, it's true, I'm not a big fan of Bono's 80s voice.
The songs mentioned above are great, but I still don't feel they're "opera". He's just belting them out.

- MacPhisto pretty much ruined the 1993 ZooTV encores.
- The majority of the pre-Boy demos are better than the majority of songs U2 have released in the 2000s.
- I wish that Larry had left U2 in 1990 or so. I don't get why so many fans seem to take it as some source of personally meaningful pride that U2 have never changed members (Dik Evans being conveniently forgotten).
- Grace is in fact one of ATYCLB's better songs.
- Who fucking cares about "the night is heavy as a truck"? It's one bloody line. Move on. If you want to rag on shitty lyrics, go after songs that are full of them like In A Little While or Elevation, not a single line in a song that is otherwise one of the more lyrically decent U2 tracks of the 2000s.
- Some Days Are Better Than Others is cool.

I agree with all but the first one. MacPhisto was a fantatic creation and was an excellent addition to the show, he added an extra spooky and tragic element to songs like With or without you, Lemon, Love is Blindness and in particular Ultraviolet. The Larry Mullen hate on here is harsh, but probably justified.

MacPhisto was such a blindly one dimensional and pretentious creation, he may as well have been invented by a fifteen year old during this decade and drawn on pencil cases.

Right, you discovered irony and a mind numbingly awful thespian accent. How quaint! Fuck along now.

All of those characters were bad, come to think of that. Although I do like the HMTMKMKM clip a lot. And that is one song that everyone should agree is rad.

MacPhisto was such a blindly one dimensional and pretentious creation, he may as well have been invented by a fifteen year old during this decade and drawn on pencil cases.

Right, you discovered irony and a mind numbingly awful thespian accent. How quaint! Fuck along now.

Oh c'mon! It was something new and exciting for U2's image, coming after the seriousness of Rattle and Hum. What's wrong with that? I think we're down to personal preference here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom