Unpopular U2 opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I know what you mean here; it would've been the JT Tour as Southern Man was last played on 11 December 1987. The date's not instantly coming to mind, though. Wasn't the 28 October 1987 performance in Chicago, was it? I don't have my bootlegs handy to check ...

Yeah, it was either chicago or kansas city or another midwest U.S. city during that stretch of the JT tour. great cover of a great song. thanks.

Yeah, it was either chicago or kansas city or another midwest U.S. city during that stretch of the JT tour. great cover of a great song. thanks.

Yeah, that sounds right to me. Anybody with a range of boots handy should be able to confirm this easily, since Southern Man was only played on the JT Tour four times in total - 7 April, then 26 and 28 October (the Kansas City and Chicago performances you mention), and finally 11 December. Might check this tomorrow myself.

Can I just point out this thread is for unpopular opinions? Some of what has been posted, such as the examples above, are very conventional, popular opinions.

Ok .. well how about something like ... i love Paul McGuinness, i love that greedy money hungry look in his eye and the way he'd sell his soul to the devil for a euro, not to mention that gorgeous receding hairline and buddha body shape ..

:wink:

I like When I Look At The World
ISHFWILF kinda bores me
I think Sweetest Thing is boring

Let's see...

- Love is Blindness live can't beat the studio version.
- Bono's voice was better circa 2000 than it was during the recording of Bomb.
- The ATYCLB sessions produced some of the band's best songs.
- One Tree Hill is not that big of a deal to me.
- The studio version of Stay is perfect.
- So Cruel is far from a lyrical masterpiece (in fact, it's sort of a mess, like most lyrics on Achtung.)
- I don't mind or concern myself with Bono's efforts for Africa.

Hawkmoon is better than Heartland.

Joshua Tree tour is better than Lovetown.

I agree with both. Hawkmoon 269 live is one of the greatest things U2 have ever done. I worship Lovetown, but I think The Joshua Tree tour wins because it doesn't feature the BB King encoure.:reject:

* Best decision U2 ever made was to not make Joshua Tree into a double album since most of those B-sides are shite.

* Most of U2's attempts at making more 'atmospheric' Brian Eno-esque music fail miserably

* The album version of Sunday Bloody Sunday sounds terrible

* A Celebration is one of U2's 10 best songs

* If U2 didn't care about being the biggest band in the world, they'd produce WORSE music

* If Edge and Bono really do come up with 85% of the music and lyrics to U2's songs, then they're getting royally hosed on songwriting royalties.

* If Rattle & Hum had been released just as a 10-song album of all the original material, it would be hailed as one of U2's best-ever records

* 'Rejoice' is a truly underrated gem

* If ATYCLB and/or HTDAAB had been released by an up-and-coming band rather than by U2, people would be fawning over these albums and consider this band to be the next big thing. Likewise, if a new band had released Pop in 1997 as their first album, they would've been an instant success

I agree with both. Hawkmoon 269 live is one of the greatest things U2 have ever done. I worship Lovetown, but I think The Joshua Tree tour wins because it doesn't feature the BB King encoure.:reject:

As much of a Lovetown fanatic as I am, I tend to skip the BB King encore myself. If you've heard one, you've heard them all. Plus, Angel Of Harlem and Love Rescue Me are weak songs. I realise that view of Angel is an unpopular one, but I'm just totally bored of it. WLCTT is a great track, though, so I'll play that, and the couple of times they did She's A Mystery To Me were awesome.

I would say the last couple of months of the JT Tour were close to being on a par with Lovetown. Though the JT Tour had too many covers. Not to say Lovetown didn't either, but the quantity was higher on JT. Which reminds me of another unpopular opinion of mine, though this may belong more in the general opinions thread on B&C than this one: Lovetown Watchtower is the best cover of the song. Not Hendrix's version.

- I dislike ISHFWILF
- I dislike When Loves comes to town
- I dislike Love rescue me
- I think Mercy is a masterpiece, best song since 91
- I like fast-tempo songs like Electric Co, Treasure, Rejoice, Wire....
- ATYCLB is U2's weakest album
- AB is their best album
- I like Bono with long hair (JT era)
- I love how Adam looked during POP (gaz mask...)
- I never skip any U2 song on my i-pod except Wild honey (only U2 song that I actually HATE)
- The guitar solo in When I look at the World makes me fly above the clouds...
- I could exchange my 5 Vertigo shows, 1 Elevation and 2 PopMart for 1 show from the 80's :drool: (I keep my 2 Zoo TV show, they are NOT tradable.... ):D

Oh no I like Angel alot, its full of atmosphere and character. Lyrically and melodically I'd put it as one of the strongest things on R&H, I'd much rather listen to it than Love Rescue Me, Silver and Gold, Van Diemen's Land, When Love Comes To Town and maybe even Desire.

The song works well live as it serves as a more light-hearted moment amidst the intensity of the band's concerts, plus its a great sing-along.

Bono's vocal performance is second to none IMO, he has rarely sounded more confident and sure of his abilities, a singer at the peak of his powers.

- I dislike When Loves comes to town
- AB is their best album
- I like Bono with long hair (JT era)
- I could exchange my 5 Vertigo shows, 1 Elevation and 2 PopMart for 1 show from the 80's :drool: (I keep my 2 Zoo TV show, they are NOT tradable.... ):D

Unpopular U2 opinions

- AB is their best album

And these are unpopular opinions, how? :huh:

you think all of what I wrote is popular???

well... not so sure

No, the points of yours she quoted are popular. This is the thread for unpopular opinions, not opinions that most of us agree on, such as enjoying fast tempo songs or disliking Love Rescue Me.

"Love Rescue Me" is an awful song. It's too long, slow, and redundant.

Mary J Blige should cover every U2 song... In fact, U2 should just retire and write new material for her.

sigpic19945_16.gif

Red Light is my favourite song from War
October is my 2nd favourite album
I don't like ZooTV/Zooropa '93 tour. The band was tired and Bono had worse voice back then than on Popmart.

come on i want to hear more opinions

- Larry Mullen is the shittiest drummer in rock.
- Zooropa is overrated.
- Hawkmoon 269 is crap.
- They shouldn't do covers. They haven't done one right yet. (Paint It Black, Fortunate Son, Instant Karma!, The Saints Are Coming [not even Green Day could save them], etc. etc.)
- Red Hill Mining Town is annoying. I skip it almost every time.
- Most of the Joshua Tree B-sides were uninteresting, too.

alright, just unpopular opinions....

it's how to define it because we have to make a poll on every subject...

to me saying that ATYCLB is the worst U2 album is not popular...

On this board anyway...

I cannot find anything redeeming about the studio album of Pop...I do like a few of the songs live, in fact I love Last Night On Earth and Gone live.

Passengers is a waste of time and money

Dirty Day is by far the best song on Zooropa and along with Lemon is one of the 2 best performances on ZooTV Sydney.

Love is Blindness, Acrobat, So Cruel are dismal and amazingly lame. The reason FF and the skip button were invented.

No matter how good some live versions have been, the studio version of With Or Without You is the finest thing U2 has ever done.

The title track is pretty much the only worthwhile song on October and that includes Gloria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom