The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know...the Yanks, barring some dramatic collapse, are going to the playoffs.

This will be the 13th season in a row that they're advancing to October.

I'm not an idiot and I know the Yanks have economic advantages over most, if not all teams. But, still, that's pretty fucking impressive.

Look at teams like the Knicks, who spend like crazy and are atrocious (You could add the NY Rangers prior to last season as well). Or the Redskins (who also have economic advantages, despite revenue sharing), who overpay players and coaches alike. Hell, even the Red Sox missed the playoffs last season. It aint easy.

Anyway, I'm biased of course, but, anytime a team enjoys this sort of perpetual success, I'm impressed...be it the Braves of the 90's/early 00's, the current Patriots, the Spurs of late, etc.

That being said, they need to get out of the first fucking round of the playoffs this season. :)

Scioscia has played his bench the last two days and, consequently, there's no way the Angels are going to win home field advantage. Well, that and the fact that the Angels have played pretty crappy ball since Friday.

Looks to be pretty much a lock that the Angels will travel to Boston for the ALDS. Yankees at Cleveland. Only thing left to be determined is home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

The league has to know that you can beat the Angels with a good lefty because Scioscia plays 2 or 3 bench players against lefties. Lester is average at best, but if he faces the Angels at Fenway he might give them fits.

Concerns for the Angels:
-Vlad hasn't been able to play the outfield for weeks due to an arm injury. Not that it's bad to have Vlad at DH, but this reduces Scioscia's lineup flexibility and has been the reason Kendry Morales has scarcely seen an AB in 2 weeks even though prior to being relegated to the bench he was hitting well.

-Kelvim Escobar has had an arm injury flare up; he was supposed to pitch yesterday but instead will go this weekend.

-Figgins also has/had an arm injury that until a few days ago prevented him from batting from the right side. He's hitting from the right side again but I'm wondering how healed he is or isn't.

-Ervin Santana has been unreliable (to put it mildly). He looked good for 3 consecutive outings and then sucked again 2 days ago.

-Bartolo Colon might not even make the post-season roster. That said, he did have a strong outing the other day.

-The bullpen has been spotty.

-The Red Sox get a lot of home cooking from the umps at Fenway. :wink:

Last edited:
John Lackey said:
Looks to be pretty much a lock that the Angels will travel to Boston for the ALDS. Yankees at Cleveland. Only thing left to be determined is home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

How is it a lock exactly? Cleveland leads Boston by a half game for the best record and the #1 seed, and if they finish with identical records, Boston wins the tiebreaker. If Boston is the #1 seed, they play Cleveland while the Angels play the Yankees.

No spoken words said:
Should Joba go back to being a starter next season?

not just no, but hell no.

the most important person in this run of yankee post-season appearances has been mariano rivera. they currently have a guy who, at least in this short time span, has shown the stuff, the moxy, the attitude to be a dominant closer, just as mariano's begining to fall off.

you don't know if joba can be a good starter... you're guessing. you know he can be a dominating relief pitcher. go with what you know.

i mean there's always a risk involved... if the dodgers had their way pedro martinez would never have been a starter. :shrug: i still think they should keep joba right where he is.. the heir apparent to mariano rivera.

oh... and i am officialy staying away from shea stadium for the rest of the year.

i'm now 1-7 in games i've gone to after last night... 1-9 if you go back to the playoffs last year. before this 10 game stretch i hadn't seen a met loss in person in about 5 years. i'm obviously the black kiss of death, and i need to take one for the team.

they shall now commence winning. or just keep losing and back their way into the playoffs.

the national league! last team to lose wins!

Any chance the Mets can get Orosco to come out of retirement? someone, anyone who doesn't suck

PS - Joba has some of the filthiest pitches i have seen in a real long time.

phanan said:

How is it a lock exactly? Cleveland leads Boston by a half game for the best record and the #1 seed, and if they finish with identical records, Boston wins the tiebreaker. If Boston is the #1 seed, they play Cleveland while the Angels play the Yankees.

The Yankees are the Wild Card and #4 seed. The Angels will be the #3 seed. If Boston has the best record and #1 seed, they play the #3 seed (Angels) as, obviously, they can't play the Yankees in the first round.

If Cleveland finishes with the best record and #1 seed, they'll play the #4 seed (Yankees) and Boston will play the Angels.

I just read that the guy who bought Barry Bonds' 756 ball is going to brand the ball with an asterisk and send it to Cooperstown.

So instead of showing the nationally-broadcasted Phillies-Braves game tonight (which they have the rights to), Sportsnet is instead showing reruns of NBC's Poker After Dark, the Best Damn Sports Show Period (which is the least-aptly named television program of all time) and the Chris Meyers interview with Dennis Rodman.

And TSN (who also has the rights to ESPN's baseball feeds), is showing a meaningless game between the Blue Jays and the Orioles.

:rant:

Last edited:
cubsticketsws.jpg

Headache in a Suitcase said:

I remember Boston caught a lot of flak for painting the World Series logo on the Fenway grass the day of the 2003 ALCS Game 7 (which may or may not have been ordered by MLB). But this takes the cake.

Last edited:

Why did they leave off the Red Sox logo? :eyebrow:

For the over-reactors....I think these were sent to all the season ticket holders for every team. When I had season ticket for A LOCAL NBA team, my playoff tickets included Championship tickets. Guess what...that NBA team has NEVER been to a NBA championship!

speedracer said:

I remember Boston caught a lot of flak for painting the World Series logo on the Fenway grass the day of the 2003 ALCS Game 7 (which may or may not have been ordered by MLB). But this takes the cake.

and I actually had tickets game 7 of the world series that year, but we all know how that turned out. :sad:

lost in the whole mets choke-a-thon is one of the most remarkable two months of baseball by a single player really in the history of baseball.

since moises alou has come off the DL, at 42 years of age mind you, he has done the following.

he got a hit in his first game, then had two back to back hitless games.

he followed that with a 5 game hitting streak, which was followed by 2 hitless games.

he then went on an 11 game hitting streak, which was broken up by one hitless game.

he's hit in every game since... 30 straight.

he's gotten a hit in 41 of his last 42 games... a hit in 47 of the 53 games that he's played in since coming back from the disabled list.

he's 42 friggin years old.

unbelievable.

Yanks were 21-29 on 5/29.

They are now 2 outs from clinching the Wild Card.

I'm pleased. I'll watch the post-game show and enjoy it for a bit.

Happy the Phils won, too, PF26 and Dave.

And for the 13th consecutive season, the Yankees have clinched a playoff berth.
To quote the late Karen Carpenter:
"We've only just begun."

oh... and i am officialy staying away from shea stadium for the rest of the year.

i'm now 1-7 in games i've gone to after last night... 1-9 if you go back to the playoffs last year. before this 10 game stretch i hadn't seen a met loss in person in about 5 years. i'm obviously the black kiss of death, and i need to take one for the team.

they shall now commence winning. or just keep losing and back their way into the playoffs.

the national league! last team to lose wins!

Unless you move out of state we may be in trouble the way this is going.....hold me.....

No spoken words said:
Yanks were 21-29 on 5/29.

They are now 2 outs from clinching the Wild Card.

I'm pleased. I'll watch the post-game show and enjoy it for a bit.

Finally, a win for the little guys out there - this is bigger than Boise St winning! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom