The Overhang: U2 at the MSG Sphere - General Discussion Thread Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Vegas. There will be plenty, even at a U2 show filled with geriatrics who still don't know how to use The Face Book.

Just know that if s single attractive chick sits next to you at the bar at 2 am and immediately starts chatting you up? she's probably not into you for you.

It's Vegas. There will be single, attractive women absolutely everywhere. The U2 show is probably not the place to meet them.

Just go to a party bar with a live band and dancing, and wait for the drunken bachelorette parties to show up. If your looks and social skills (GAME) are average or above, you should have no problem meeting single women in that situation. Just don't take advantage of anyone's drunken state, and stay away from the bride!!

Ugh I'm actually looking at how much it would cost me to just fly in and fly out for a show and only do 1 night in a hotel. I'm looking at either Dec 6th or 13th. Being on Wednesday and some of the last ones added, those 2 seem to be the lowest in demand and have the cheapest tickets available on resale sites. Between relateively cheap flights to and from Columbus, not caring where I sleep and not caring where my seat is in the venue, I can easily do it for well under $1000. I did a big Vegas week with some friends 2 years ago, so I don't really care about doing any sightseeing or gambling. I'm really considering it.

I could easily afford a multiple day getaway in Vegas, which was my plan. My wife will not go with me, and she will not approve of me spending this money and going to Vegas "just for a concert". None of my U2 buddies can get the clearance from their wives to go either. But if I can somehow only be gone for 2 days, and spend less than $1000, maybe she won't care too much. I don't know... everyone will think I'm insane for going to Vegas for 1 night by myself.

Is this at all practical? Or should I just say "Happy Wife, Happy Life" and stay home and watch the shows on youtube?

I've been out of the loop for a bit. Are they planning on doing a week or so of rehearsals at the venue?
Terry Lawless has his schedule blocked for rehearsals from the last week of July straight through until the shows begin. A few days into that period he posted on his Facebook page about an all day travel day.

They've also all (sans Larry) been spotted together in Dublin, and Bono and Edge were just at the Sarajevo Film Festival. So they're still in Europe.

The Sphere leaked have also completely dried up as of late - so my guess is that they're getting ready to make their way over. Bono has historically struggled with the desert air. Combine that with getting used to a brand new venue with very unique tech, along with a new drummer? Yea I have to imagine they'll be there most of September in preparation.

They can't really have the U2 opening night fuck ups on this one.

Ugh I'm actually looking at how much it would cost me to just fly in and fly out for a show and only do 1 night in a hotel. I'm looking at either Dec 6th or 13th. Being on Wednesday and some of the last ones added, those 2 seem to be the lowest in demand and have the cheapest tickets available on resale sites. Between relateively cheap flights to and from Columbus, not caring where I sleep and not caring where my seat is in the venue, I can easily do it for well under $1000. I did a big Vegas week with some friends 2 years ago, so I don't really care about doing any sightseeing or gambling. I'm really considering it.

I could easily afford a multiple day getaway in Vegas, which was my plan. My wife will not go with me, and she will not approve of me spending this money and going to Vegas "just for a concert". None of my U2 buddies can get the clearance from their wives to go either. But if I can somehow only be gone for 2 days, and spend less than $1000, maybe she won't care too much. I don't know... everyone will think I'm insane for going to Vegas for 1 night by myself.

Is this at all practical? Or should I just say "Happy Wife, Happy Life" and stay home and watch the shows on youtube?
Don't forget option C:

e75b770c4a3585b942cd806b454b2f4bde66866a.webp

828ee432ac3aad472d57dfff14a3e5ff.gif

I typically go to Vegas every May. The best man in my wedding lives in Summerlin, so it's an easy excuse. When these shows were first rumored I first thought that it would be a perfectly reasonable excuse to go to Vegas twice in the same year and started looking at plans to do just that

Aaaaaanyways I haven't been to Vegas since May of 2022 sooooo yep.

I think your plan is a sound one. I'd assume there are plenty of early morning flights to Vegas from your closest airport. If not direct - it's an easy transfer from the major airline hubs (Chicago, Atlanta, Minneapolis, etc.) that can get you into Vegas in the AM.

There are PLENTY of low cost options for restaurants if you're trying to keep things on the cheap. Happy to share a list.

Flights back home start around 6 am. Heck - you could even look into the 12:30 am flights and skipping the hotel . I actually considered it after Saturday but was worried about getting to the bell hop to get my luggage and then grabbing a cab/Uber and having enough time without any knowledge of when this show will actually end... but you'll have time on your side and will have that info.

I assure you that he feels the need to get your permission before doing something like this, even if you don't think he does.

I feel like ideally you could make the decision yourself, decide if there were too many responsibilities to justify it, etc. Sure, let them know and hope they approve, but like, they married you knowing you do these things from time to time, so....IDK, I'VE NEVER BEEN IN THAT POSITION.

Unless there is a compelling economic or child care issue, why wouldn’t you want your spouse to take a weekend and do something that they love and enjoy?

Unless there is a compelling economic or child care issue, why wouldn’t you want your spouse to take a weekend and do something that they love and enjoy?
Oh I knew she wasn't going to say no to going once... and wouldn't have cared about going twice if we didn't have kids.

Alas - I still approached with caution.

I am having dueling arguments with people on facepalm this morning... one with a guy who insists that the GA tickets someone bought through the official Ticketmaster exchange are not valid, and one with a guy who insists that the GA tickets someone bought through StubHub are perfectly valid as long as you download them to your phone.

My brain hurts.

My wife will not go with me, and she will not approve of me spending this money and going to Vegas "just for a concert". None of my U2 buddies can get the clearance from their wives to go either. But if I can somehow only be gone for 2 days, and spend less than $1000, maybe she won't care too much. I don't know...

Try suggesting to your wife that if you can go to Vegas for a couple of days to see this "once in a lifetime concert" then she can plan a girls only getaway somewhere. I would totally jump on that deal. Have your U2 buddies try this too. Maybe you will even end up with a traveling companion who could split the hotel cost with you. I am a wife of 34 years and plan a girls trip once a year. Yes...happy wife happy life!

It's crazy how there are some people that are saying you can't buy GA tickets at all without the original purchaser walking in with you (even from TM exchange) and others saying you can buy from Stubhub without any issues.

My wife actually wanted to go for a weekend of U2 shows as soon as I mentioned it. Thinking perhaps she needs to get away from the kids for some adult time more than I do.

It's crazy how there are some people that are saying you can't buy GA tickets at all without the original purchaser walking in with you (even from TM exchange) and others saying you can buy from Stubhub without any issues.

That secure tix third party site seems suspect, but more strange is the notion that it’s working bc TM has stopped enforcing the transfer limitation.

Neither is an issue for us. We could easily afford a long weekend in Las Vegas. Our kids are 10 and 12, so they are old enough that they don't need constant attention and effort for any given babysitter. My parents live nearby, and would be happy to have them for a few days. They're good kids, they don't cause any problems. But my wife absolutely refuses to take days off work during the school year (she's a teacher), and Vegas isn't really her jam. She's not really a U2 fan, she's neutral about them. I still think she'd like the show if she went, but I told her she could also just go out and do something fun for herself while I went to the concert. No dice.

There seems to be a societal stigma about married men going to Vegas without their wives. I brought up the idea of going as part of a guys trip, and she said "you are NOT going back to Vegas!" My friend's wives all had similar reactions. I'm not a gambler at all. I won't be blowing marital money on strippers or hookers (although... :shifty:...). The ironic thing is if she told me there was some trip she wanted to take alone or with friends, I'd be supportive and say "Okay, let's work out the logistics so we can make this happen."

Ah well, it's probably not going to happen. There's always youtube... :angry:

Try suggesting to your wife that if you can go to Vegas for a couple of days to see this "once in a lifetime concert" then she can plan a girls only getaway somewhere. I would totally jump on that deal. Have your U2 buddies try this too. Maybe you will even end up with a traveling companion who could split the hotel cost with you. I am a wife of 34 years and plan a girls trip once a year. Yes...happy wife happy life!

My wife is free to plan any trip anytime she wants with anyone she wants, with or without me or the kids. I would never consider telling her she couldn't do something, I would simply ask what I could do to help make it happen. She knows this, I encourage it. It's quite simply just a double standard that exists in my marriage, and one that I have to live with I guess.

My U2 friends have all reported back similar stories. Like I said in my previous post, society has a stigma against married men going to Vegas, even though none of us would be interested in any "misbehaving" beyond mild overindulgence in alcoholic beverages.

Last edited:
Where did you pull this from? It's like the perfect sentence if this was pitchfork article.

Tour rehearsals in Arizona (1987) and Las Vegas (1997) both destroyed his voice and left him performing at subpar levels on the opening nights in both cases. It's been stated by Bono himself that this was the case.

I tell my wife, "Look woman, I'm going to Vegas and there's nothing you can do to stop me. Now wash my best cargo shorts"

Tour rehearsals in Arizona (1987) and Las Vegas (1997) both destroyed his voice and left him performing at subpar levels on the opening nights in both cases. It's been stated by Bono himself that this was the case.

Selling my tickets. You convinced me.

Hey, I love Cargo Shorts!! I feel weird wearing shorts without a bunch of pockets at this point. Then again, I'm permanently stuck in 2007.

Divorce papers? That's a far jump from not letting me go to Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom