The official "The new Facebook is scaring the hell out of me" thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phillyfan26 said:
Yeah, I mean, I have it in high school, where it's helpful for those few older friends I have. But I haven't even begun to reap the benefits. That will come once my high school class goes our separate ways. Then, I will truly appreciate it.

Amen to that.

I love the Flixster application. I can waste hours on that thing.

Looking at other people's profiles pages, however, I do see a LOT of clutter on some of them. That's a little annoying, but still miles ahead of the annoyance of MySpace.

^ Some people's pages are so cluttered, and have so many applications, that it takes forever to find the Wall. That is incredibly annoying and frustrating sometimes.

Another annoyance is people who have more friends than they need. Seriously, do you really need to have 400 friends on your list? I've seen some that have been close to 900! I bet they don't even know 10% of those people. It's like high school all over again, where your social status and popularity is determined not by the person you are, but who your friends are and the number of friends you have. All very juvenile, in my opinion.

I have made it a policy to only have people that I've interacted in real life on my list, which means my number is relatively low in comparison to some people. No online or so-called "Facebook friends."

facebook has turned to crap. i don't get the applications. i mean they are unique and some are fun, but there's too many of them! i don't know how anyone can keep up with more than 5 apps on their page!

i actually seriously limited my facebook use in grad school. i learned that it was the more popular among college students, and in my field i was supposed to maintain this "professional" facade.

i do like leaving pictures and videos for my friends. can't really do that in facebook. but i do like that facebook profiles don't make my computer freeze.

phillyfan26 said:

Yeah, that's been my biggest beef with myspace: the bullshit.

The only thing that pisses me off about Facebook is the applications like "Jetman" or "Zombies vs. Vampires." When someone invites me to those things (which happens about five times a day), I'm just like, "What the fuck, dude? I don't care."

Yeah. When I first joined Facebook (which wasn't even until this spring) there were like no applications. Then like two weeks later about 50 billion popped up out of seemingly nowhere :huh:

I did add Pirates vs. Ninjas since pirates are badasses, but it was originally just a picture and your rank went up for recruiting people. That's it. Now they added some battle aspect and I get attacked by pansy-ass ninjas every two minutes. How irritating. Bitches ain't shit. I may delete it.

I also love all the music apps...eventually Facebook will hopefully equal Myspace in music, cuz right now thaat's the one thing Myspace has over Facebook and it's the only reason I still even have a profile at all. But I think Facebook is trying to add music profiles, yeah? I love me some iLike. I have like 18,000 points on that dumb game.

but yeah, besides the music apps and a couple other cool ones, I'm sick of all these fucking applications. I mean, fortune cookie? horoscope? those dumb quotes applications? stupid shit like Hot or Not? fuuuck all that. and I don't like the SuperWall or FunWall or any of that either. I don't want to have to scroll through 290488597 things just to get to the wall where I want to write some small comment.

But it's still better than myspace.

Oh yeah, and my least favourite application: the mood one. What the hell do you think the status bar is for, you morons?

also having like 50 top friends kinda defeats the purpose of top friends. I'm on the top friends list of some people I haven't really talked to since high school. I think some of them just added like everyone in our senior class to their top friends :huh:

I have only a few apps: the iLike, the Quizzes, and Compare People, and the only one on my page is iLike.

I love the Movies app, it's the bomb. Compare People and Superlatives are fun, too.

I barely use facebook for much of anything anymore other than trying to come up with clever status statements and moderating a group I created. I've been thinking about getting rid of my account for ages now.. one of these days.. I suppose I'll probably do it!

Those of you who've got Facebook, there's a group on there called "Facebook Interference" that a few of us are in.

Same. Facebook is good for me; I use it to keep in touch with people from primary school and so on. Having moved to a different country halfway through my life, it helps.

My friends keep telling me that I should join and have actually come up with several conjectures explaining why I haven´t ("Who did you promise you wouldn´t join?"). They´ve even gone as far as creating two or three fake profiles of me just so they could "tag" me.

I´ve refused mainly because it´s kind of stressful to keep up with everybody´s personal lives and I also think that you look more important when people look for you and see that you´re not in it and you can´t be bothered with those things. :cool:

Dear iLike user on Facebook,

I'm writing to tell you about an amazing video clip that U2 has just posted on iLike - it means a lot to me and I think it's a little bit of rock'n'roll history.

(Forgive me for the mass email -- we've never done this before. I've included my email address below if you want to contact me.)

Today, U2 used iLike to post a personal message from Bono, singing - and talking us through - "Wave of Sorrow". It's a track that U2 demoed during sessions for The Joshua Tree in 1987. Just recently Bono laid down vocals for the song and it will be released for the first time next week on the remastered release of The Joshua Tree. As Bono plays us the track, he also tells the powerful story of the song. I found it quite moving!

>>> Watch the video of Bono singing "Wave of Sorrow" and leave your feedback.

Since we started iLike a year ago, our vision has been to bring people together through music. As others follow U2's lead, this could transform how artists connect with fans. To get concert alerts & content from other artists, tell us which artists you like.

Sincerely,
Hadi Partovi, co-founder, iLike
hadip@ilike-inc.com

p.s. On a personal note, I was in the room when this video was filmed. My brother recorded it on his cameraphone. Now that's a memory to treasure!

:happy:

iLike and Total Sports Fan are just about the only two applications I genuinely use. I've got Where I've Been (which just depresses the hell out of me when I see how many places I want to go to and haven't been), and Colbert '08, but there's not much to do with those.

iLike is my most used app on Facebook, no question. I can't stand it when people have a million apps on there, all of them annoying and pointless, so I try to keep mine to a minimum.

I like Facebook.
The applications can be overwelming though.

I like the Naughty Gifts :lol:

FMB's
FMBs.jpg

I got facebook to see what the U2 link was that was posted in PLEBA.
Same vid I saw lastweek.

Now what am I to do with Facebook :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom