The Official B&C Desert Island VI NSW Memorial Running Diary Thread for the Cure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem. It makes sense. It's just odd, I guess. Because when I burn the list to a cd, or when I listen on iTunes, or even my iPod, there's no gap whatsoever. :hmm: Oh well!

It depends on the settings too, and what model the iPod is. I think from the 5th generation on, gapless playback was included on iPods, which can then be turned on in iTunes, or it goes back and forth, depending on if the album itself has gapless playback turned on or not. In iTunes itself, there's a crossfade option, which will also get rid of the gaps on everything else. :nerd:

I'm beginning the last section of GAF's list now as well.

I'm not really a fan of Regina Spektor, but the song worked well into "Hysteric." :up: "Find the River" is one of my top three R.E.M. songs. :drool: :drool:

Other than the Lily Allen craziness in part 2, I don't think I've had a complaint about this list yet. :applaud:

GAF: awesome job. I don't have much to say other than I had a lot of fun listening, and this is definitely one of my top contenders as of right now. :up:

Spiral staircase
I fall down

Fun fact: the lyrics were written by taking common English nouns, running them through an Icelandic translator, and then sang using the English pronunciations of what came out.

......I, uh...found that information on their website. :uhoh:

My ears have certainly gotten a workout with this. It's almost like I've been going through some sound tests.

Originally, the entire list was going to be more like this, but I began to really hate myself and decided to include some actual tunes.

It's a good thing you did. I would've never survived.

In fact, for this last track, it was a struggle to make it to the 30 minute mark. Thankfully you started to play some real music at that point.

I think you should have included names of the different parts for each track. You know, like Yes does a lot. That would have added to the progressive nature of it, because prog always has those types of songs.

That was an interesting listening experience. I'm glad I made it through.

Although, in all seriousness, I'm impressed you were able to do all that. And some of the music passages were really very good. Part 1 was my favorite. It sounded like something out of Porcupine Tree's beginnings.

Now I'm gonna go home and try to recover...

Well done making it through, Phanan. I'm quite proud of this list, particularly in the lyrics department. Many thanks to everyone who gave it a fair shot; I don't expect any votes, but if I could contribute something a little different to the proceedings, I'm content. :D

Starting up gump's list now while I work on my last final. LM, I think I'm going to get to yours next over the weekend, when I'll have time to process it a bit. :lol:

Well done making it through, Phanan. I'm quite proud of this list, particularly in the lyrics department. Many thanks to everyone who gave it a fair shot; I don't expect any votes, but if I could contribute something a little different to the proceedings, I'm content. :D

I haven't even heard it in full yet and I know I'm going to vote for it every round. Even if it went up against my list.

Watermelon Man kicked the whole thing off. Certainly a different opener than many other lists, which is nice. The song itself started off a bit strange but quickly settled into a nice groove.

Pacific Theme sounded good right after. I like a few things by BSS, not too much though. But I liked how these two songs went together at the beginning here.

Haven't really ever gotten into Grizzly Bear, from the stuff I've heard. This song was alright, but nothing earth shattering.

Didn't care for Kiss My Name. Just not my thing.

But I loved Bem Querer. Nice branching out with different genres here.

And Golden Age was awesome right after it. Great transition. And of course it's a fantastic song as well.

Couleurs :love:

Postcards From Italy was on a previous DI list from a previous competition, I'm fairly certain. I still need to check out more from Beirut, because this is a beautiful song.

Wasn't as keen for Windmill Wedding.

Up to Mykonos. Quite the popular song, but justifiably so.

All the songs during this part have flowed along nicely.

What's this? A Dylan song from the 80's?

I love Oh Mercy. Great album, and you picked a hell of a song. Nicely done.

You Can Do Better Than Me is a fave from the last album, but it doesn't really work here because it gets cutoff. Kind of ruins the flow.

I've never cared for Andrew Bird. This song was ok.

Closing Part 1 with the new Sufjan Stevens epic. It kind of goes off here and there, but for the most part, it's a great track.

So far, so good - with a few exceptions. I'm off to lunch now, so I'll be picking up on the second part later on.

Thanks for taking the time, phanan. I love Oh Mercy as a whole, and Most of the Time is one of my favorite Dylan songs. Love the lyrics.

After submitting the list the transition into the Andrew Bird song started to annoy me a bit as well, to be honest. I tend to like the gapless play, but I see the problem with the cutoff.

Listening to disc 2 of The Sad Punk now. Listened to disc 1 on the way back from work.

Disc 1 had great flow throughout and some amazing songs. The highlight for me was Virgin Suicide > MOS > Röyksopp Forever > Sufjan. Great sequence.

I'm a big jazz fan (mostly 60s stuff, but still), so the first songs set up the mood perfectly for me. Just Friend is one of the best standards, and the Bird is its best performer by a mile.

Learnalilgivinanlovin was ok, but Ike's Mood was great! I'm really digging the mood you created with this disc.

Started the second part of gump's playlist just a while ago now.

Radiohead to start off was good, and it even sounded cool after Sufjan if one decided to listen all the way through.

However, I gotta say that the next few songs together, while having very good transitions, were a bit too slow for me, and they are from artists that aren't particularly ones I care for, so when those two factors are combined, it kind of lost interest for me for a while. It wasn't until I reached Arcade Fire that I got into it again.

The whole Mercury > Zen Arcade > Pink Flag > Fun House sequence is really solid, good picks throughout, particularly The Stooges. Magazine definitely fit with this mood as well, but the guy's voice doesn't do much for me. Nice vibe, though.

I didn't know Empire of the Sun, Delta Bay is a really good song.

And going into one of the best songs off Dear Science :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom