The Official 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, anyone watching the beach volleyball? The Dutch girls are getting hammered by the Cubans. Hopefully they'll pick it up in the second set...doubt it, though. They played horribly against the Americans on Saturday.

Doesn't look good for the Dutch. They need to go on a run. I giggle whenever the commentators say pokey or fomer.

I got womens indoor volleyball on in the background.
USA and Cuba

USA getting it's ass handed to them.

It's not as fun to play the arrogant jingo when you aren't winning.

Doesn't look good for the Dutch. They need to go on a run. I giggle whenever the commentators say pokey or fomer.

Ha, yeah, they totally blew that. Too bad. Cuba played so well! They are such a brilliant nation for volleyball. One of my friends (she plays for the MUN Seahawks) went to a Cuban training camp a few years ago, and she said that it was completely unreal. They played against some Cuban high school kids and had their arses handed to them on a platter every single time.

What the hell! I've been waiting for live coverage of Nadal's match ALL night. They showed match point. That's it. :| Oh well, on to indoor volleyball we go...

I think the gymnastics was anomalous. It's the first time I was really annoyed with any kind of jingoism on NBC. The gymnastics coverage was atrocious, but the swimming coverage has been really good so far, IMO.

From now on I will mute their gymnastics commentators.

The NBC gymnastics crew has been uniformly atrocious for the last decade.

I don't consider a team up 2 goals early losing 3-2 to be a collapse either - that is a comeback. This game was given away.

Exactly how much time does there need to be between the last goal and the end of the game for it not to be a "collapse"? 1 minute? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 30 minutes? 60 minutes?

I'd enjoy watching the olympics if they showed stuff properly. Take the Women's hockey, they cut out heaps of that and Australia came from 1-4 down to win 5-4!! Incredible.

What are polo scores generally like?

Michael Diamond missed out on a medal...

Grant Hackett finished a disappointing sixth in the men's 400m freestyle final - and I don't buy this Stephanie Rice-led Australian swimming resurgence, we're not as good as we used to be, bring back Thorpey! - but says his only focus is the 1500m free...

South Korea second in the medals...

And I hope the olympics never visit China again, at least not until they work out all their problems. Apparently venues/events that were 'sold out' have been virtually empty when the events are actually taking place, because all the seats were sold to corporate suits.

Here's hoping we see Twenty20 cricket at the olympics sooner rather than later, especially because the countries I hate won't be able to win medals in them :D

The olympics are the only time when I feel happy about Australia dominating :reject:

And finally Perth wants the 2020 or so olympics. That's all from me for today

Chinese divers picked up another gold (men, 10 metre synchro). They're just such a pleasure to watch. It's actually sad how American diving has completely collapsed in the last decade. I still remember the golden days of Louganis. He was marvelous.

If Phelps makes his goal of 8 gold medals, this particular medal goes to the last swimmer of the US relay. Saved by the last swimmer, and against World record holder no less.

Chinese divers picked up another gold (men, 10 metre synchro). They're just such a pleasure to watch. It's actually sad how American diving has completely collapsed in the last decade. I still remember the golden days of Louganis. He was marvelous.

Has Laura Wilkinson competed yet?

Of course this

To his credit, Bernard was gracious in defeat, clapping when the Americans received their gold medals and shaking the hand of Michael Phelps after the ceremony

will probably get less mention than the anti-France comments.

Has Laura Wilkinson competed yet?

No, she hasn't.

She got passed over for synchro so she only has her individual dive. It will be really tough for her to beat the Chinese though, I think. If they're on top of their game, she's got no shot, IMO.

i'm not really that much into the whole swimming thing and all but that 4x100 relay was some sorta amazing.

Me neither, I was watching before I fell asleep.. that was pretty crazy.

I like to watch the gymnastics stuff, flipping, rumbling, tumbling. Some of that stuff is just nuts to watch. You think they're going to fall on their head or something.

ditto.

Is it just me, or does his new haircut and the slowly approaching wrinkles of time make Bob Costas look like Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker when he faces the camera? :ohmy:

I find beach volleyball to be so dull. I think it's because I'm a (straight) woman and so I don't care about their booty and when you take that away all you have left is sand and awful music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom