The Official 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobl04

45:33
Oh yes, I've got in again :D

Well we are now just eight days away from the olympics, and with plenty happening with regards to the games, I thought I'd start this one up and we'll get cracking with your predictions, thoughts, comments, criticisms, etcetera etcetera etcetera.

Sadly I think these games will be wrought by the news stories regarding two things: the pollution level, and the Chinese communist government. Both are depressing me a bit, as they are taking away from what is a wonderful event. Apparently many athletes will struggle in the thick air over there, with a few already pulling out over health concerns. News today that the Chinese government is restricting access to global websites is also highly disappointing, and I think the politics will hang over this two week period.

Oh, and footage of the opening ceremony has leaked on the net. So there ya go.

Enjoy everyone!

For those in Australia who'll know what I'm talking about, who else is incredibly disappointed Roy and HG aren't doing an olympics show this time around? :(

They're so good, they make rugby league watchable...

Yeah, I'm pissed off there's no Roy and HG. Don't think I'll bother with these Olympics, except for the cycling, since some fucktard in the UK reckons Cadel's a choker :mad:

Yeah, I'm pissed off there's no Roy and HG. Don't think I'll bother with these Olympics, except for the cycling, since some fucktard in the UK reckons Cadel's a choker :mad:

Yes, I read that today and I was very pissed off. I now believe, after this and the bagging of Darren Pattison (ask me if you want more info), that none of the English writers have any credibility whatsoever. Bastards.

For those in Australia who'll know what I'm talking about, who else is incredibly disappointed Roy and HG aren't doing an olympics show this time around? :(

They're so good, they make rugby league watchable...

Roy & HG will be doing a show on Tripple J However.

Meet Shawn Johnson, the future of American athletics:

152-johnson%20victory.jpg

107-shawn%20johnson%20pan%20am%202007%20web.jpg

ap_shawn010_070914_ssh.jpg

Roy & HG will be doing a show on Tripple J However.

Yeah I knew that, but is it going to be like an olympics program on each night, or at a specific time, or will they just be talking about the olypmics on their weekly "this sporting life" program, which I just downloaded the podcast to. :D They've made rugby watchable for me, very humourous.

if USA basketball doesn't win, I might have to cry..

They're talking up our chances...

Oh man, what?!

It won't be the same without Roy and HG.

Oh man, what?!

It won't be the same without Roy and HG.

Yeah they've been censored :( something to do with issues over safety, or problems with the ultrahypersensitive Chinese government... but couldn't they just run the show from here in Australia?

If you use itunes you can download their podcast, also available on the triple j website.

Yeah they've been censored :( something to do with issues over safety, or problems with the ultrahypersensitive Chinese government... but couldn't they just run the show from here in Australia?

If you use itunes you can download their podcast, also available on the triple j website.

Yeah, how hard would it be to do in Australia?

And a radio show just isn't the same ...

Meet Shawn Johnson, the future of American athletics:

152-johnson%20victory.jpg

107-shawn%20johnson%20pan%20am%202007%20web.jpg

ap_shawn010_070914_ssh.jpg

I am predicting an American sweep in the women's gymnastics, much to the disappointment of the home Chinese crowd. Somehow, I have a feeling the Chinese crowd would show they are not happy (not obnoxiously, but clear enough) with the USA winning the team gold and the all-around gold. I don't know why, but I have a feeling. :shrug:

I am predicting an American sweep in the women's gymnastics, much to the disappointment of the home Chinese crowd. Somehow, I have a feeling the Chinese crowd would show they are not happy (not obnoxiously, but clear enough) with the USA winning the team gold and the all-around gold. I don't know why, but I have a feeling. :shrug:

My fondest memory of Olympics watching was when we won the Gold in '96 in women's gymnastics. That team, and that win, was f'ng unbelievable and I really, really hope we can pull it off again. Chinese reactions be damned!

U
S
A

:heart:

I find it really funny how the media dumped all over the Koreans for sneaking in and taking footage of the opening ceremonies practice while at the same time showing images and discussing what was seen. Typical bullshit. They should have just said a media company took images and not showed or discussed anything.

I wouldn't be too sure about anyone guaranteed to win anything in which China is a strong competitor. I believe in the home field bump in the Olympics. The emotion of representing one's country at home pushes athletes to remarkable achievements which they never duplicate again. It has happened in the past and will probably happen in Beijing.

This Olympics could be worst ever if the pollution, media restrictions and time zone factor play out to their full potential. It's hard to get up at 6am to watch an event live on the other side of the planet.

I think it is disingenuous to assume that the Chinese fans will be derisive towards a US victory. Let the actions of the crowd speak for themselves and don't assume they will show poor sportsmanship. I have seen US and Canadian fans boo national anthems of both countries at times during hockey playoffs. Those people who participated in the booing were assholes but most people are gracious in defeat. I see no reason why the Chinese fans would be any different if their countrymen lose an event. Actually, the Chinese fans will probably be some of the most enthusiastic fans in the history of the Olympic games regardless of what country wins.

I'm not predicting the Chinese would boo when the American anthem plays, but it would be written all over their faces that they are unhappy with the US's gold medal win.

Maybe its because I've been reading about how China is getting all nationalistic over the Olympics, and are really tauting their athletes in certain sports (such as gymnastics), that I wonder how the Chinese spectators would react when the US team sweeps the event, as I predict.

I have seen similar articles attributing reactions in the past during other events but I an taking a wait and see attitude.

The Olympics have lost their luster for me and are overrated cause of all the crap associated with them. I love the athletic aspect of it, unfortunately, that has been overshadowed by politics, economics, cheating, nationalism, ...

Yeah I knew that, but is it going to be like an olympics program on each night, or at a specific time, or will they just be talking about the olypmics on their weekly "this sporting life" program, which I just downloaded the podcast to. :D They've made rugby watchable for me, very humourous.

:hmm: Can't remember, I'm not sure if its a new nightly format, or the same weekly this sporting life type program.

They are just as excellent on the radio as they are on TV too! :up:

Oh here we go!

THE GOLDEN RING SHOW
On Monday, 11th August, triple j will kick-off its daily dose of Olympics highlights THE GOLDEN RING SHOW!!! Brought to you by those two old China hands, the Crouching Tiger Rampaging ROY SLAVEN and the Hidden Dragon H.G. NELSON. Turn up your radio for news and updates from the Mongolian Club in The Forbidden City!

For repeats of THE GOLDEN RING SHOW and much more, subscribe to Roy & HG’s This Sporting Life podcast

- Already pumped up for the Cycling Road Races....

- Football competition will be huge....Archie'll hopefully steer the Aussies through a tough group invloving Cote D'Voire, Argy and the Serbs.

- Gymnastics should be interesting, US are favoured, but ya can never underestimate the Romanian and Russian women. Wonder how The Germans will go in the mens....

- Last Baseball Olympic tournament. It will be good riddance.

- Egypt v Iceland, a handball blockbuster

- SBS will again offer the quality Olympic coverage the Seven Network can only dream of producing.

Well, I AM rude. Now go finish your top 10 list for the book thread.

I honestly do not think that I can cull it down to ten. I will try.

Back on topic....

I'm a life-long Olympics junkie, and while the Olympics are not quite as enjoyable to me as they were when I was younger, I still get excited for them. This year is no exception.

Seeing NBA players in USA uniforms still makes me a little sick. The Olympics simply do not hold the sway over me that they did when I was a kid.

Well, as I said, I don't like them as much as I used to, but I used to be an addict, so, liking them less still means that I'm a big fan.

I prefer the Winter Olympics, actually. The places they are held alone make it worth it for me. Lillehammer, for example. I knew nothing about the place, now, I'll never forget it.

For the Summer Olympics, like a lot of folks, Swimming and Track & Field are what I most enjoy. Unlike GAF, not a big Gymnastics fan but will still watch,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom