The Official 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was funny. And the unflattering photo of the French swimmer that NBC managed to dig up.

Watching the American women gymnasts tonight I have to wonder how the hell they ended up in 2nd place? They're really bad. Jeez, the Russians and Romanians must seriously stink this year.

Were they up 2-0 at any stage? Because then it could have been the biggest collapse....if not, no, not even close.

Not even biggest collapse of these games so far? That's a low bar, given that they've been on for only 3 days. I guess you had to see it.

Watching the American women gymnasts tonight I have to wonder how the hell they ended up in 2nd place? They're really bad. Jeez, the Russians and Romanians must seriously stink this year.

Earlier, Schlagel and Daggett were talking about how the Romanian and Russian teams have gone to shit.

The Americans are defending World Champs, I think?, but they look horrid tonight, wow.

I think the US gymnastics team is plain nervous with two injuries. I think once they shake off the nerves, they'll be ready for Tuesday. Maybe not a gold medal, but definitely on the podium.

The Americans are defending World Champs, I think?, but they look horrid tonight, wow.

It's also because the Chinese withheld a lot of their gymnasts at the Worlds, wanting to debut them in the Olympics. They have a history of doing this, usually to their detriment, but this time maybe not.

I think the US gymnastics team is plain nervous with two injuries. I think once they shake off the nerves, they'll be ready for Tuesday. Maybe not a gold medal, but definitely on the podium.

Nerves or not, they look bad. These mistakes transcend nerves. I'll wager the Chinese women were nervous, too, but when you are an elite athlete, you overcome your nerves.

. Jeez, the Russians and Romanians must seriously stink this year.

Those two teams are not like they used to be. Issues with funding, top coaches either leaving the country or retiring has changed the two teams. As I mentioned before, in the last world championships, Russia did not win a single medal.
As for Romania, I read an article that said parents don't put their girls into gymnastics anymore in hopes of achieving wealth. They just leave the country now. So, there's little motivation to win medals in gymnastics.

Nerves or not, they look bad. These mistakes transcend nerves. I'll wager the Chinese women were nervous, too, but when you are an elite athlete, you overcome your nerves.

The Chinese also made some big mistakes. :shrug: For how bad the US looked the scores are still close.

Call me a skeptic, I'll refrain from calling them "women" b/c of the age questions. :shifty:

The Chinese also made some big mistakes. :shrug: For how bad the US looked the scores are still close.

Call me a skeptic, I'll refrain from calling them "women" b/c of the age questions. :shifty:

I kind of ignore the age discussions, wake me when there's proof instead of allegations.

And, yes, at the end of the day, the US women advanced after finishing 2nd.....so, not too bad of a performance.....hopefully, they improve for the Team Final.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese are lying about the ages of some of their athletes. Its nothing new, and if it is revealed, I doubt China would be reprimanded for it.

I knew that bitching about the judging would start. Earlier, the US diving officials were complaining and now Bela going on about "biasness".

Random information/opinions from NSW:

I very much like the Japanese National Anthem.

And, do not ask me why I think this, but I suspect that Noah Wylie might be returning to ER this season. Just a hunch.

Also, Brendan Hansen seems like a stand-up guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom